What's new

Question Reptile Q and A Thread

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Is 1,2,2 string the only reliable punish? I prefer to use 3,2,1 into things (it's more damage and really fucks with people when you can consistently do the NJP, as if snips/chris g/pro reps have a monopoly on it), but that might be where I'm messing up. I can't remember the frame difference between 1 and 3 offhand...is it enough to make or break that sort of a punish?
Which moves specifically are you trying to punish? I can't recall anything off the top of my head that I punish with 122 instead of 32. According to frame data, 1 is 11 frams and 3 is 13 frames.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Which moves specifically are you trying to punish? I can't recall anything off the top of my head that I punish with 122 instead of 32. According to frame data, 1 is 11 frams and 3 is 13 frames.
Smoke's 2 hit BnB into smoke bomb. Come to think of it, I also have problems with his 3,d1,2 string, but I believe that one is safe on block. Ugh. haha.

CitizenSnips

When in doubt, elbow dash for punish. I honestly can't say how I punish that, it may be with 321 I haven't fought a Smoke in a while. Against Smoke you just gotta be all over him with the d4-acid hands and constant pressure. You can also shoot a slow forceball and they will most likely shake and if you are fast enough you can elbow dash in and d4 them.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
just something to let people aware of smoke.

-Idea of smoke is to go FULL THROTLE and reckless. it's not about combos, not bout tactic....nothing in this matchup is tactical.
the idea is to SPAM elbow dash...because they SPAM poke and Teleports. once you Teach them to block, NOW you can halt smoke by stopping them from being reckless and stupid offensively .

-so that's the basic tactic. this is not a projectile game UNLESS your doing EX FB SLOW BALL into follow up with cr+3 or cr+4 (recommended 3)....that if you want to pressure. reason is due to shake

-Smoke will always Teleport on other side after knock down for presistant pressure. Simple reverse motion elbow dash Beats ANY of his options. as well as some of them jump kick after 3,d+1,2 to bait a teleport combo or throw...etc. simple punish any air teleport with 3,2,1. even if it didnt catch them, they will be forced to gaurd after due to recovery (if done correctly)

-Watch his resets (the blockable ones)

-No projectile in general unless for sense of awarness to force them to use shake...and then punish them. cr+4 does wonders. cr+4 anti regular wake up teleport as well.

hard at the begining to learn the match, though , on the long run you will discover that this match is reptile favor all over!

6- 4 rep favor

PS: f+2, instead of 1,2,2 .....b+2,3 ~smoke bomb pushes back. rather instead use Elbow dash.
one of the key idea of this match up is knocking smoke down to bait his reckless move....once you do so, smoke will be stuck severely
other ps: EX slide goes throw bombs now....use it efficiently

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
. Simple reverse motion elbow dash Beats ANY of his options. as well as some of them jump kick after 3,d+1,2 to bait a teleport combo or throw...etc. simple punish any air teleport with 3,2,1. even if it didnt catch them, they will be forced to gaurd after due to recovery (if done correctly)
Holy nutsack, was not aware of this. Thank you Teef and Snips! It's interesting that after spending so much time training to almost never use elbow as an attack, it comes up as relevant in this particular matchup.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
I have to say. this is by far the best thread in reptile section! this and the matchup discussion as well as the frame data.
golden. TY so much for this thread reptile_8417 ...great job as well. stuff i noticed that i would like to pinpoint

"What do you use EX acid spit for. What strageties do you have for it."

-perfect for countering subzero's corner pressure and halt him from freely cloning. this is pre patch. though now you got ex slide.. Though, EX spit, safe on block against subzero's corner trap.
other use is for combo reset.
3,2,1~Elbow dash~ njp. 3,2,1~ elbow dash, cr+4~ acid spit (34% with a reset)

-Best way to fight against reptile vs Reptile Mirror match:

This is a Momentum gaining game! exclude elbow dash, because once blocked then the other reptile will pressure after wards.
this is a meter management game, who saves more for EX slide countering zone, as well as pressure.
Dangerous to pressure reckless due to elbow dash, hence this match relies a LOT on who out zone the other more effectively . matter as well Pressure correctly.

very annoying match because a lot of scrubby stuff happens in it.

How do you deal with a spam happy Kitana, Kano or Sindel? I have problems reaching them when all they do is throw projectile after projectile."

-Pre patch. crouch and bait. for sindel get close and block. if sindel did air Projectile then she's at dis advantage because reptile can excute SFB (whether hit trade or not). thus making reptile able to Zone out with projectile afterwards or elbow dash closer to pressure sindel. sindel is FREE on pressure and easy.

Post patch: ex slide of course

a key for zoning out correctly with FB's:
if opponent is knocked down, start ur pressure with Sfb then Ffb / spit
if opponent is on land with fB trade, if your able to get SFB then great! if not then ex FFB to force them to block. this will make reptile gain a small momentum to re SFB into ffb/ spit (or simply ffb into spit afterwards for anti jumping sequence)
ffb into Spit is anti jump over

as for kitana. this match is purely 5 - 5. i am not gonna say the kitana side because REALLY people will cry about it and dis agree...so i dont need to cause any fire in here! lol..i luv how this thread is clean, calming and VERY respectful and relaxing lol.
Think of it that way, Kitana zone out / then reptile zone in
Kitana Zone In/ Reptile Zone out

by means kitana spams projectiles, you get in and pressure (Projectile war can be done as well, but more effectively to make Kitana spam). ONLY reason to use FB war is wait untill kitana teleport....and that's the sole reason why you zone in while she's spamming projectile! once she changes side to escape, It's all reptile ground control!

now if kitana tried to go offensive, this is were you Show her how offensive reptile is! 1 knock down and your back to square one, which is reptile controlling the Projectile war. EX SFB oki does wonders in this match. as well as kitana has a horrible wake up beside EX fan lift...which is Easily baitable.

"Can Reptile do anything off an air to air punch besides slide? I think he can do ex spit but that cost meter."
- Elbow dashes ground mix up/control. can land backward or front.
i am one of the rep players that ALWAYS stay on top of opponent. reason is to bait and punish and teach them my block strings for baits.
you can slide after air to air P
you can elbow dash
you can elbow dash into cr+4~ex fb combos
you can elbow dash into cr+4~ slide
you can f+2~ ex FB (not very reliable)
Near corner you can 3,2,1 or elbow dash into 3,2,1

"Mileena matchup"
- i am one of the people that still insist, this matchup is not as bad as poeple say..instead, my arch nemises is KUNG LAO! kung lao is just too much, even after the patch he's still a threat to reptile hands down.

some pinpoints about the mil matchup:
A- EX FB charge is anti her teleport and rolls. as long as they are done sweep distance or further. if she tried to Sai instead, you can release the fire ball, allowing reptile to zone in. and in that case if she did teleport then, reptile can dash away from it

B- her mix ups are nasty. Fuzzy gaurd works EFFECTIVLEY against her. though, her risky b+3~ex roll is Annoying to block....BUT fuzzy gaurdable as well.

c- problem is her teleport into sai bait , and that reptile hurtbox problem. that's why always block crouching against her teleport for a chance to punish/ capitalise

D-this is not a pressure free game for reptile, instead knock and set on her and bait moves. or use the EX FB charging trick

E- thank god for EX SLIDE!!

F_ EX SFB OKI is very effective on mil

i would give this matchup 6 - 4

"Night wolf matchup"
- i agree with reptile_8417. though something i must comment on.
It's also very hard for him to catch Reptile in lightning, anytime he tries it elbow dash out and punish.

not correct, EX lighting catches Elbow dash on wake up.

the reason this matchup is reptile favor, is because Night wolf wont be able to zone out or in freely. cr+4 is everything in this match. once you teach NW to respect cr+4 and not to spam free shoulder due to punish, then NW is free for zoning in and OUT.
EX SFB is comlpetely safe against him from full screen or a little further from mid.
1 things to watch for this match up, his METER! NW without meter is garbage...let him waste it

Dont use Spit or FFB unless for AA against him in this match. Full screen Projectile game = EX SFB or regular SFB INTO pressure...nothing else
NJP is very effective as you can jump over his shoulders and NJP punish him.

-"Subzero Matchup"

STILL 5 - 5 ...dont miss with Subzero. will explain why later

"#6) Some time ago i saw reptile movie, that was how to shut down most wakeups. Anyone has link or can explain to me?"

possible those?
and

those are pre patch. though, all the oki's still work.
bug removed completely. cr+4 safely after ex dash also removed. rest still exist in the game

Note: those are 5 months ago vids

but again, thnx for this thread reptile ^_^...great job indeed man. keep it up!

MinotaurLord: NP glad i was helpful

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
[MENTION=7007]MinotaurLord[/MENTION]I didnt say it was the only one I said it was the one i use. If I did say otherwise I apologize and did mean for you to misunderstand. its like I said I don't play very many smokes but that is what i punish with.
Thanks to teef and citizensnips for the assists, I've been leveling up LOL.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
Reptile is my second character, and I'm still kind of a noob with him. I was wondering what his best pressure strings are? Or his bnb combos. The type of combos you should use once you get in.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Reptile is my second character, and I'm still kind of a noob with him. I was wondering what his best pressure strings are? Or his bnb combos. The type of combos you should use once you get in.
His best strings are 321 1221, those are the only pressure strings you need, other than that just poke and frame trap with normals. If you hit with this is a combo to use when 321 hit each string:

321 elbow dash njp 32 ffb sfb 321 finisher of choice.

122 njp ffb 32 sfb 321 finisher of choice.

1221 f2 ex ffb 32 sfb 321 finisher of choice.

For more the best place to go is the combo thread.

Yo did the patch give Reptile push back on blocked elbow dash? I was just fighting someone and when they did elbow dash, I blocked it and went to throw them. but he had bounced too far back. Has anyone else seen this?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Yo did the patch give Reptile push back on blocked elbow dash? I was just fighting someone and when they did elbow dash, I blocked it and went to throw them. but he had bounced too far back. Has anyone else seen this?
Yeah, there's more push back, you need to come up with character specific punishes now.

Oh ok then. I guess if they really did make the move more unsafe it won't matter too much offline. Online this move became 10X safer, lol.

CitizenSnips

Well Reptile tends to struggle against people who can zone him, so any anti-zoning character should theoretically be a good alt for him. Maybe someone like Kenshi, Smoke or Noob. I am using Sektor and Mileena as alts but I would never use them in a tournament I would rather just stick with Reptile

Ok guys, wonder if you could help me the most efficient way to punish

1) KL ex spin- I found that dash could do it, wondering if theres a way that you can combo into something more damaging?
2) jade shadow kick- is this move punishable? I feel like it should but i can not?
3) i think this has been asked already, but what is the best way to punish Meelina tele kick?
4) how do you pressure up close with reptile? I find that his 122 and 321 are so slow on start up, easy to beat by many moves. How do you guys go about this to get these combos in?
5)How do reptile counter cross jumping over efficiently, this gives me a lot of problems in my game

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
EX spin is difficult to punish consistently with anything other than elbow.

Shadow kick is unpunishable on block, but you can crouch it and combo on whiff.

Mileena's telekick is best punished from crouch, due to the fact that, unlike all other characters, telekick > sai will jail Reptile on standblock. Your best option is to d1 xx slide.

321 is slow, but the hitbox on 3 is pretty large, and the move itself is sort of evasive, since he moves back a little bit. Also, 32 and 321 is 0 on block, and 1 is 0 as well. This makes it hard to react and guess when to counterpoke.

For crossups, d4 can work if the opponent doesn't jump kick, but if you react well enough, elbow gets you out of trouble, and if they try to jump punch, you can elbow out then elbow back in when they land and it's unavoidable.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hmm i would like to add some stuff in here to THTB comment ^_^
THTB: hey man...by the way, did u finally see what is Jax capable of from cdjr :D? lol a major threat to reptile heh :)?

1) KL ex spin- I found that dash could do it, wondering if theres a way that you can combo into something more damaging?

ofcourse u can THTB.... f+2~ FB. Even on this lowered push back and stuff, the recovery is the same. f+2 can hit from sweep as well, or even Slightly further...unlike regular Spin! so i find EX spin VERY easy to punish due to Kungs Moving Forward

3) i think this has been asked already, but what is the best way to punish Meelina tele kick?

to add to THTB list. u can also cr+1~Sfb for short Oki which is completely safe to bait Rolls and TLK. or u can cr+1~ Elbow dash mix ups and side change.
or u can cr+1~EX FB (if u wanna use meter) punishment can lead to either damage or mixup ender/Oki ender.
also cr+1~ ex Invis into elbow dash is a nice mix up , which is completely safe to dash the other side before Mil wake up (though not worth it if opponent knew such a trick...by means, it's something to be used once in general or something haha)

5)How do reptile counter cross jumping over efficiently, this gives me a lot of problems in my game

Rep Hard tech but if mastered, it DOES make reptile TONS better. anti Cross up with cr+1~ FB or EX fb/ or Slide/ or elbow...etc. the only problem is that it's slow. the hitbox is okay! so it's all about when to excute it.
why it can be good? cr+1 can Auto Correct! also doesnt require proper spacing if done at the right time. so pretty much cr+1 is anti any cross over P or jump in punch IF u did it as early bird or pre prediction*

not a bad tool at all
PS: doesnt work against jump in kick

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Hey guys sorry I haven't been answering questions lately, I broke my phone which was the way used to get on tym most frequently, so yeah it's been rough for me to say the least. I have to rely on my computer at work now. I'm glad to see that THTB and xxteefxx had the one question that came in covered though...wow...this thread died quick, lol

Ok guys, I think I found a very weird bug for reptile while practicing. Put your CPU to stand block, now do forward 2, fast ball. I find that I COULD NOT do forward 2 fast ball again. So do f+2 ffb, f+2 ffb while putting cpu on block.

It is very consistent.

Note: I could do forward 2 fast forceball, then forward 2 slow ball on block. I also could do forward 2 ffb, then foward 2 ffb on hit.

Could someone try it to make sure this is correct? or am I just messing up on my input.

[MENTION=4]THTB[/MENTION] do you still play MK competitively? havent seen you on any stream in awhile.

Any tips on actually landing that NJP after a 321? I can never get it but I can hit confirm the 122 to either get the push back or to get the forceball out but I have a lot of trouble landing the NJP. Also any tips on not getting zoned or feeling the pressure of getting zoned. I just cant get the past that when someone is spamming me and I have to crouch all of that stuff that they build meter and I have to wait until I get a chance. Any tips on knowing when not to block I was told I block too much when im being constantly pressured

Any tips on actually landing that NJP after a 321? I can never get it but I can hit confirm the 122 to either get the push back or to get the forceball out but I have a lot of trouble landing the NJP. Also any tips on not getting zoned or feeling the pressure of getting zoned. I just cant get the past that when someone is spamming me and I have to crouch all of that stuff that they build meter and I have to wait until I get a chance. Any tips on knowing when not to block I was told I block too much when im being constantly pressured
the thing about zoning with reptile is that you need to get that force ball out to dash in and pressure, if you are getting zone like people like Kabal or Noob. Then use spit, then get that slow/fast force ball out, dash in pressure.

Most people forget that EX Slide has ARMOR (even I forget sometimes). Use this to your advantage, you could slide, hit opponent dash in pressure.

1 way to help you with 321 dash NJP is to hold up when you run so you dont have to time the jump, but you need to time the punch. This takes practice, ALOT. If you see that reptile NJP punch but do not hit then you are doing it too late, if the punch doesnt come out then it is early.

CitizenSnips

To do the njp combo, piano the punch buttons as you are holding up. Basically slide your finger across the punch buttons. I do this twice and I get it almost all the time. Once you get the timing down it just becomes muscle memory.

And with REptile, he can't really win a zoning war unless he initiates it. Like Sanatic said, you really want to get a forceball out there because it will allow you to close in or zone even more. If you have a good life lead you can just sit there and let them come to you, but if you are teh one low on health you're just gonna have to get their timing down and dash-block in even though it will be tough

Thanks GUIZE real helpful. Any tips on punishing kung lao teleport I saw chrisg just simply jump kick I cant seem to uppercut it everytime because reptile is retarded. Also any tips on sub zero I saw that it was 5 - 5 but I mean someone has to have a trick TO GIVE THEM THAT EDGE. I thought sub zero did bad against zoners. Maybe top tier zoners.

Heh hey again guys, i have 2 short questions about combos:

#1) 122,FFball,NJP,32,SFball,321 --> cant land the NJP, i hit it 30% of time, any timing?:D Help i feel retarded becouse of this ;]

#2) What do u think about my corner combos?
Meterless:
321,acidhand,321FFball,321,slide
ex Elbowdash,32,ffball,321,sffball,32,slide

Meter:
321,acidhand,321,exacidhand,321,slide

Any better combos? Or more useful and practical combos? Also maybe some good combo with 122 in corner?