What's new

Question Reptile Q and A Thread

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Any players looking to step up their Reptile game can hit me up with a questions anytime I'm on all day at work during the week, and I check up on weekends too. If I can't answer your questions i could at least point you in the right direction.

Edit: Changed title of the thread, much clearer.

KINGSHAZ33m

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
What do you use EX acid spit for. What strageties do you have for it.
I personally use it as a way of people trying to jump in when I'm zoning, but only if it deals the finishing blow or if I know normal acid spit will miss, because it does the same thing really. It's just another way to mix up yer zoning game when the opponent thinks they have you figured out.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Meaning what do I think about Reptile mirror matches? Right?
Yeah. I decided to fire up reptile today to use some of my epin combos I learned and well. All my opponent did was dash. I normaly use it sparingly but like all reptile players, he just spammed it.

Migaluch

Double Dasher
What's the most effective way to get combos in on opponents? I know that this is asked a lot, but I still have trouble getting hits on my opponent other than specials. Reptiles normals are so slow that unless you block a teleport or something, punishing with a combo is pretty difficult to me. Any tips?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Yeah. I decided to fire up reptile today to use some of my epin combos I learned and well. All my opponent did was dash. I normaly use it sparingly but like all reptile players, he just spammed it.
as annoying as it is elbow dash is a key for reptile, the best way to deal with a reptile mirror match is to rush him down, you could zone him but this would result in a lot of trades. used a lot of 32 acid hand or slide to give yourself a universal 5050 and everytime you get a knockdown used be slow force ball oki.

Edit: be careful on sliding though because it's unsafe.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
What's the most effective way to get combos in on opponents? I know that this is asked a lot, but I still have trouble getting hits on my opponent other than specials. Reptiles normals are so slow that unless you block a teleport or something, punishing with a combo is pretty difficult to me. Any tips?
If you land a forceball from just about anywhere closer than 3/4 you can elbowed dash in and combo, although that's not always easy. I like to throw out force balls from full screen and if they aren't connecting I use sfb/ex sfb then elbow dash to Jip because its pretty safe.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
How do you deal with a spam happy Kitana, Kano or Sindel? I have problems reaching them when all they do is throw projectile after projectile.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
How do you deal with a spam happy Kitana, Kano or Sindel? I have problems reaching them when all they do is throw projectile after projectile.
You can take the risky route and try to outzone them, which isn't too bad so long as you don't trade too much and can start to get in a groove with it. If you try this I would say back up full screen block a projectile and immediately acid spit, ffb etc. The other way is to to just dash block honestly, if you try elbow dashing after blocking a projectile you'll eat the next one. I would also say throw out a fb and move in to pressure. (when possible)

retic

Noob
How are you dealing with discovering reptiles new nerfs in this upcoming patch.
dunno about topic starter, but if this nerf pushes through commercially, i'm dropping reptile and focus on training on sub or scorp. at least scorp hasn't experienced any damge nerfs yet.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
How are you dealing with discovering reptiles new nerfs in this upcoming patch.
The nerfs are just too much, the damage nerf is unnecessary. I guess they are trying to balance him out with ex slide armor, but the damage was fine. Adding frames on block for elbow dash...okay fine...but 26%?! I can still work with a quarter of a life bar but COME ON MAN!

sLeeK

Noob
dunno about topic starter, but if this nerf pushes through commercially, i'm dropping reptile and focus on training on sub or scorp. at least scorp hasn't experienced any damge nerfs yet.
good luck to you.. I know you're a damn good reptile player and if I can't work around these nerfs I'll start using sub more I guess..

:(

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'm too loyal to the character I can't change, but I am really frustrated.

Migaluch

Double Dasher
Ouch wow those nerfs sound like they suck... Oh well I'm sticking with Reptile still. When does the game get patched?

sLeeK

Noob
Oh...hehe. thanks. at least this made me rage a bit less :)
Lol I'm glad I took away at least some frustration.. Yeah I'm still extremely salty, I don't know what to do. Two of my mains are getting nerfed(sub is only a back up, I don't enjoy using him as much as reptile/cage), and every time I play this game now it's like why do I bother? Sure I can spend x amount of time in lab with cage and reptile once this patch drops, but I shouldn't have to because these nerfs seem unnecessary. Did you see teefs post about reptiles damage nerf? It's unbelievable and cage.. well that's a whole other story.. Hopefully we can make it past this and continue to use our mains EFFECTIVELY(I hope..) Good luck to you at future tournys.

Ouch wow those nerfs sound like they suck... Oh well I'm sticking with Reptile still. When does the game get patched?
I believe sometime between now and devastation. Don't quote me on that because I heard it in an mk stream.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Can Reptile do anything off an air to air punch besides slide? I think he can do ex spit but that cost meter.
Yer right on both of those, otherwise that's not something I've actually looked into, but i don't think there is anything that's very reilable.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Also, guys, please take note = the "damage nerf" is a bit of boy cried wolf. The bnb was NOT nerfed to 26%, the combo used at that point in the video does 26% now. Ultimately, lab research decided that his damage scaling was myth. We can all sleep well.