What's new

Question Reptile Q and A Thread

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
NP. f2 xx EX fast forceball juggles, but it's really height specific.

Alright, I've searched around and haven't found anything of extreme help for this. How the hell do you deal with Mileena? It is absolutely Reptile's worst match-up, but how can you even stand a chance? If I play a decent Mileena, I'm struggling. A solid Mileena? Screwed on all accounts. Help?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Alright, I've searched around and haven't found anything of extreme help for this. How the hell do you deal with Mileena? It is absolutely Reptile's worst match-up, but how can you even stand a chance? If I play a decent Mileena, I'm struggling. A solid Mileena? Screwed on all accounts. Help?
This is definitely a rough matchup all the way around most because Reptile's zoning game is almost irrelevant, the best way to handle her is to try and bait out telekicks and rolls then punish with a full combo on block, it's not easy. Also if you block her strings a lot of them are punishable with Elbow dash.

THTB

Sorry for not answering the PM you sent me, Earth. I had meant to, but got wrapped up in something else and forgot all about it lol.

Anyway, Mileena is Reptile's worst matchup. He struggles extremely at getting in...sais lock him down really well. And even if he finds openings to get a projectile on screen, Mileena can safely avoid any forceball except for an EX one being charged because her telekick > instant sai jails Reptile on standblock. This is something that only affects Reptile. This means that he has to crouchblock to punish, but his only normal that will punish (d1) is very slow, and as a result, very difficult to use for punishment. She is safe vs Reptile. This matchup is really only won by getting into jump range to make her weary of jump-ins, but if you jump at the wrong time, you risk eating an AA roll.

Sorry for not answering the PM you sent me, Earth. I had meant to, but got wrapped up in something else and forgot all about it lol.

Anyway, Mileena is Reptile's worst matchup. He struggles extremely at getting in...sais lock him down really well. And even if he finds openings to get a projectile on screen, Mileena can safely avoid any forceball except for an EX one being charged because her telekick > instant sai jails Reptile on standblock. This is something that only affects Reptile. This means that he has to crouchblock to punish, but his only normal that will punish (d1) is very slow, and as a result, very difficult to use for punishment. She is safe vs Reptile. This matchup is really only won by getting into jump range to make her weary of jump-ins, but if you jump at the wrong time, you risk eating an AA roll.
No prob! Thanks for answering this, THTB! I didn't know Reptile had to crouch block to punish her telekick. That might make life a bit easier (not by much). I've been reading that some Rep players think that the armor on the ex-slide is going to help this match-up immensely. I personally feel like all the armor won't make it much easier, but then again I'm still pretty fresh with Rep. Do you think we can look forward to breathing a bit easier in future Mileena match-ups after the patch?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
No prob! Thanks for answering this, THTB! I didn't know Reptile had to crouch block to punish her telekick. That might make life a bit easier (not by much). I've been reading that some Rep players think that the armor on the ex-slide is going to help this match-up immensely. I personally feel like all the armor won't make it much easier, but then again I'm still pretty fresh with Rep. Do you think we can look forward to breathing a bit easier in future Mileena match-ups after the patch?
It won't fix the matchup completely but she isn't going to be able to just sai Reptile from full screen all day anymore.

Leooooh

Noob
I need some help/ideas for the matchup against Nightwolf.
Nightwolf is giving me some headache with his ability to reflect projectiles cause if I throw a sfb or a ffb, he reflects it and follow it up with a Shoulder or some kind of pressure. I know that the reflect ability leaves their defense open, so if I am abble to throw a sfb and follow it up with a elbow dash, I can jump over the ball and connect a full combo, but this is risky. I was able to do this a few times, but the times I messed with the time, I ate a full combo lol.

Any help here woud be very apreciated!!!
Thanks a lot

As an Air to Air, we can do the following:

Jump in Punch (AA), f2, slide....for 10%

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I need some help/ideas for the matchup against Nightwolf.
Nightwolf is giving me some headache with his ability to reflect projectiles cause if I throw a sfb or a ffb, he reflects it and follow it up with a Shoulder or some kind of pressure. I know that the reflect ability leaves their defense open, so if I am abble to throw a sfb and follow it up with a elbow dash, I can jump over the ball and connect a full combo, but this is risky. I was able to do this a few times, but the times I messed with the time, I ate a full combo lol.

Any help here woud be very apreciated!!!
Thanks a lot
Nightwolf is very punishable after his reflect and his shoulder dash can be neutral ducked and punished with an uppercut or elbow dash, I do the very same when it comes to throwing out a sfb then elbow dash in to pressure, I seem to be able to do it almost all the time, there really isn't a lot Nightwolf can do in this matchup if you can keep the pressure on him. throw a lot of sfb's out and move in for pressure strings and mix ups. It's also very hard for him to catch Reptile in lightning, anytime he tries it elbow dash out and punish.

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Is it wrong to just use 2 and 321 to start combos? I find myself only using those strings. My problem before was I was using 122 all the time and I wanted to use 321 instead and now I use 321 mostly. Plus what are some other things you can do to mix up on wakeup? I throw and use D4 acidball. I think I saw THTB do a F2 acid ball. But I also think I've seen people go straight into 321, but that was after the 3 dashes after a dash knockdown, if you know what I mean. I also have trouble getting a SFB to come out after a long combo. I do 321 and sfb like I normally would and it doesn't come out. Anything I'm doing wrong?

For example :

321, whiff dash, njp, ffb, 32, sfb, 321, sfb.

That last sfb won't ever come out.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Is it wrong to just use 2 and 321 to start combos? I find myself only using those strings. My problem before was I was using 122 all the time and I wanted to use 321 instead and now I use 321 mostly. Plus what are some other things you can do to mix up on wakeup? I throw and use D4 acidball. I think I saw THTB do a F2 acid ball. But I also think I've seen people go straight into 321, but that was after the 3 dashes after a dash knockdown, if you know what I mean.
No 2 is a very good way to start combos IMO, 2 ffb has a natural delay that is a lot like NW's 312 string where on block a lot of people try to hit you after the 2 and get caught by the ffb which allows you to combo., and 321 is probably his best string, 122 is another good way to mix it up, but you can live without it, you just have and overhead and low option out of it. All of the options you mentioned on stuffing wakeups other than throwing out sfb's are all ways I attempt to stuff wakeups. As for the oki issue, try to delay the input for a second because the last hit of the 321 string does take a second to recover.

THTB

It will make the matchup only mildly easier. Reptile has trouble building meter in this matchup in the first place, and Mileena doesn't really fear forceball pressure on oki.

The Skarlet matchup, however, just became MUCH better.

retic

Noob
Does Reptile have a "panic/get off me" move?

FOr example:

I'm facing off against a good cage/quan chi (barely know the MU btw....diff. question someday) and they manage to get in. I can block the strings, but how do I "stop" the stringing madness?

If this were SF, I'd Tiger Uppercut them to oblivion. BUt since this is MK9, I'd adjust. hehehe :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Does Reptile have a "panic/get off me" move?

FOr example:

I'm facing off against a good cage/quan chi (barely know the MU btw....diff. question someday) and they manage to get in. I can block the strings, but how do I "stop" the stringing madness?

If this were SF, I'd Tiger Uppercut them to oblivion. BUt since this is MK9, I'd adjust. hehehe :)
elbow dash will help you get out of cage's frame traps if your input is timely, other than that Reptile doesn't have a lot, you can do a low poke if you get an opening and and they try to hit high, but other than those he doesn't really have anything to get out of frame traps.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Dont try dashing out of Cage's frametraps, it doesn't work consistently. It's much easier to poke out of them.

I'm sure you can dash out against any other character though.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Dont try dashing out of Cage's frametraps, it doesn't work consistently. It's much easier to poke out of them.

I'm sure you can dash out against any other character though.
Good catch man, I just type shit and don't look over it sometimes haha.

Leooooh

Noob
Is it wrong to just use 2 and 321 to start combos? I find myself only using those strings. My problem before was I was using 122 all the time and I wanted to use 321 instead and now I use 321 mostly. Plus what are some other things you can do to mix up on wakeup? I throw and use D4 acidball. I think I saw THTB do a F2 acid ball. But I also think I've seen people go straight into 321, but that was after the 3 dashes after a dash knockdown, if you know what I mean. I also have trouble getting a SFB to come out after a long combo. I do 321 and sfb like I normally would and it doesn't come out. Anything I'm doing wrong?

For example :

321, whiff dash, njp, ffb, 32, sfb, 321, sfb.

That last sfb won't ever come out.
Regarding the sfb issue, u r doing it wrong. Let me try to explain it to you.

If you do 321, whiff dash, njp, ffb, 32, sfb, 321 you can only and it with a FFB OR ANOTHER ENDER OF CHOICE, because the last force ball input was a sfb.
if you do 321, whiff dash, njp, sfb, 32, ffb, 321 you can only and it with a SFB OR ANOTHER ENDER OF CHOICE, because the last force ball input was a ffb.

I had the same issue a few days ago when I was practicing this combo.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Regarding the sfb issue, u r doing it wrong. Let me try to explain it to you.

If you do 321, whiff dash, njp, ffb, 32, sfb, 321 you can only and it with a FFB OR ANOTHER ENDER OF CHOICE, because the last force ball input was a sfb.
if you do 321, whiff dash, njp, sfb, 32, ffb, 321 you can only and it with a SFB OR ANOTHER ENDER OF CHOICE, because the last force ball input was a ffb.

I had the same issue a few days ago when I was practicing this combo.
That's not what he is talking about, he is saying after he finishes that combo he is trying to sfb oki.

It is Deff a 6.5-3.5 matchup in Mileenas favor. But i think Reptile can punish a blocked ball and telekick by using 32~EXfast forceball, 32~slow ball, 321~slide??Isnt that a reptile standard anti air combo?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
It is Deff a 6.5-3.5 matchup in Mileenas favor. But i think Reptile can punish a blocked ball and telekick by using 32~EXfast forceball, 32~slow ball, 321~slide??Isnt that a reptile standard anti air combo?
Punishing the telekick with that combo is dependant on whether it is made safe with sais or not, but rolls are, and you don't have to EX the forceball.

The Skarlet matchup, however, just became MUCH better.
Now, when you say that, do you mean Reptile vs. Skarlet, or Skarlet vs. Mileena? Also, would you suggest having a "Vs. Mileena" character in my arsenal?

This is definitely a rough matchup all the way around most because Reptile's zoning game is almost irrelevant, the best way to handle her is to try and bait out telekicks and rolls then punish with a full combo on block, it's not easy. Also if you block her strings a lot of them are punishable with Elbow dash.
Hey man! I didn't see your response last time when I checked the forum. Sorry! Thanks for the help! From what I'm learning, Mileena is just going to be a bitch no matter what..

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
How do you deal with good Sub player, throws clones out constantly & jumps over your fb's? I've been getting battered recently.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
How do you deal with good Sub player, throws clones out constantly & jumps over your fb's? I've been getting battered recently.
You could try doing the odd charge up force ball? If he is jumping in on you and you are charging your balls, the charging ball will hit him and juggle him.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
You could try doing the odd charge up force ball? If he is jumping in on you and you are charging your balls, the charging ball will hit him and juggle him.
Yeah I try throwing them out from time to time but the lack of meter hinders me sometimes. A good Sub gets me in a corner & im doomed, no clue how to get out. When you get a good Reptile in the corner, what does he do to get out of it against you?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Yeah I try throwing them out from time to time but the lack of meter hinders me sometimes. A good Sub gets me in a corner & im doomed, no clue how to get out. When you get a good Reptile in the corner, what does he do to get out of it against you?
Mainly uses a slime slide. Enhanced most times as it switches position. Adds invincible frames and what not. But if he blocks it you are a bit screwed.