What's new

SALTY Reasons we HATE Mortal Kombat XL

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
No character should have a mix-up off a fast advancing mid IMO. Him and Kotal -_- also he got a projectile, idk why a grappler should have one but NRS has a weird way to design grapplers for some reason.
Kotal normals advance half screen while Kano only fast mid is b1 and its close up. If you take away his projectile then I want a air grab for Commmando.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
omg did i word that incorrectly, get over it. i don't play injustice.. didn't like back to block games:)

so if they made it possible for both to Block the way they wanted to then id be down for that on Injustice 2.. have no clue if they can add the Right trigger to block in game or not. seems simple enough. and change D+B to Down to block.. and still have the capability of changing it back to B and B+D to block.

is that better, what exactly did i say thats so bad?

and if its the tired, it should only be the way it is.. just save it cuz i don't care. but if you are open mided enough to get a lot of players that like the MK style of block then fire away.

Cyrax doesn't have armor lets give his some good wakeup armor and standing armor.

in fact here:

Having a game that allows you to pick either back to block or Hold block is the most unbalanced thing ever. Its a stupid idea. Who in there right mind would pick Back to block over block button if they let you pick either or in a fighting game. There zero benefit to picking back to block. That is what i was trying to get at. I don't mind back to block or block button.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You don't need to be a pro or expert player to realize the fundamental flaws the core of the game has. All you really need is a basic understanding of fighting games and how they should function to maximize a players ability to utilize skill over anything else. Meaning, when you have luck based guessing games at the foundation of the game while also having multiple other aspects within the game that only strengthens those very same guessing games, you can't be surprised when the result is a game that rewards stupid play opposed to smart play.

To put it in another way. It's not individual proponents of MKX that make it "bad" or reward bad play and favor luck over skill. It's when all of these individual components are combined that strengthen each other and ultimately elevate the 50/50's or 30/30/30's.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I quit the game because I'm a character loyalist and they over killed tanya. Period.
Hmmmm.... You can lie to us but you can't lie to yourself. Do you expect us to buy that? I thought it was the players that made tonya good. Not tonya making the player good.

Reactions: GAV
Hmmmm.... You can lie to us but you can't lie to yourself. Do you expect us to buy that? I thought it was the players that made tonya good. Not tonya making the player good.
Lol I'm not selling anything. I play sfv, and waiting for inj2. I don't pick a character on how good they are, tanya was nerfed every patch and I adapted this one killed her so yeah I'm done. Is there a problem with someone being tired of there character changed all the time?? I wasn't even going to buy mkx till I seen Tanya's design and weapon, before that I had no interest. I simply loved tanya I didn't know how "good" she was. PS I've never even played another character because how little interest in have in them, I only ever played tanya. Kind of obvious NRS over nerfed her, and when the top 2 players for her drop her, you know she's dead.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Lol I'm not selling anything. I play sfv, and waiting for inj2. I don't pick a character on how good they are, tanya was nerfed every patch and I adapted this one killed her so yeah I'm done. Is there a problem with someone being tired of there character changed all the time?? I wasn't even going to buy mkx till I seen Tanya's design and weapon, before that I had no interest. I simply loved tanya I didn't know how "good" she was. PS I've never even played another character because how little interest in have in them, I only ever played tanya. Kind of obvious NRS over nerfed her, and when the top 2 players for her drop her, you know she's dead.
Fair enough. My bad. Non casual Tonya players have had a false sense of accomplishment and now they're scrambling. She did get nerfed a little too hard but people abusing her cheapness caused the nerfs imo. Sorry. Thought you fit in that category. I've seen too many Tonya's say "it just comes down to reads" and I want to drive a car off a cliff.

Fair enough. My bad. Non casual Tonya players have had a false sense of accomplishment and now they're scrambling. She did get nerfed a little too hard but people abusing her cheapness caused the nerfs imo. Sorry. Thought you fit in that category. I've seen too many Tonya's say "it just comes down to reads" and I want to drive a car off a cliff.
I appreciate that. But I also don't agree with there scrambling. Tanya was heavily nered and feels very different it's unfair when she'saw nerfed every single patch. They went overboard.

Last edited:

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
For people who don't know how to reset faster training mode just fast press OPTION twice.

Why put 5% of life only for johnny mechanic ?
Maybe another character pack will come at least in a year.
XL patch isn't last for sure, there will be at least 1 for year.

My question is, WHERE IS THE FKING MK MOVIE THAT SHOULD CAME OUT WITH THE GAME ?

Meaning, when you have luck based guessing games at the foundation of the game
Defending mixups isn't luck, if everything was completely react able wed block it all and win on chip damage. He is making decisions, you are making decisions, patterns emerge within an interaction and anticipating your opponents choices is rewarded.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Having a game that allows you to pick either back to block or Hold block is the most unbalanced thing ever. Its a stupid idea. Who in there right mind would pick Back to block over block button if they let you pick either or in a fighting game. There zero benefit to picking back to block. That is what i was trying to get at. I don't mind back to block or block button.
isn't there some people who prefer it.. i actually remember people complaining about mk's way of blocking compared to something like marvel, if thats back to block.. all i know it was a back to block game and they liked it better.

i would always choose RT to block but that's because i'm used to it with all the MK games.

i loved Injustice but the back to block just bugged me so....

i was using joker and having fun.. but that was back in the mk9 days, and all i wanted to do was Dash cancel. back and get away.. but it was like you can't do that-_- i was like fuck this... im slow moving backwards, what kind of crap is this?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Defending mixups isn't luck, if everything was completely react able wed block it all and win on chip damage. He is making decisions, you are making decisions, patterns emerge within an interaction and anticipating your opponents choices is rewarded.
Blocking an unreactable 50/50 is a straight up guess. It's a prediction nothing more nothing less. As stated, the guessing game isn't necessarily the problem, though. It's the fact that guessing wrong means you eat 25%+ every time, and guessing right doesn't always mean you're rewarded with a punish since a lot of 50/50's are safe and even further some blocked 50/50's lead back into another 50/50 situation. Having to consistently guess right and not even be able to get out or punish your opponent when you do is simply put, fucked up.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
One of the issues with the footsie game that Slips and a few others alluded to - difficulty in reacting to both jumps AND run ins - would actually be alleviated a fair bit by back to block. Right now if you are scouting a jump you are probably not blocking and will get smacked by fast run in normals. And if you are scouting run in normals you may not unblock fast enough to anti air. Holding down back would actually make it easier to react to both. The way cross ups work in this game also means that the left right mixups wouldn't be THAT ambiguous, with a few exceptions. I like back to block.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
One of the issues with the footsie game that Slips and a few others alluded to - difficulty in reacting to both jumps AND run ins - would actually be alleviated a fair bit by back to block. Right now if you are scouting a jump you are probably not blocking and will get smacked by fast run in normals. And if you are scouting run in normals you may not unblock fast enough to anti air. Holding down back would actually make it easier to react to both. The way cross ups work in this game also means that the left right mixups wouldn't be THAT ambiguous, with a few exceptions. I like back to block.
I agree. The run mexhanic would actually fit much better in a back to block game

hey bro, rememeber what i showed you in practice with cyrax, his Armor wakeup gets stuffed by normals because the armor doesn't initiate right away. and even though his armor move does combo when connected, it has some Hitbox glitches that alter weather it can be comboable or not depending on breath box and hurtbox relation with eachother at any givin situation.

so it don't combo all the time, and if the opponent kinows the matchup, you are not gonna Armor wakeup successfully.

but Sektors, even though you can't Combo off it, you can double flame for a good percentage, it anti airs which cyrax does not. it always works as a great Get of me tool, it works every time on Wakeup, and it cancels Armored reversals.. so in almost every situation Sektors Armor is better than Cyraxs Armored
Wakeup.

on a side not, that nerf to Sektor was a tad bit to much, it still has its small uses in game, but i feel itr could have an additional 4 frames on Hit advantage, which could allow sektor players to Hit confirm it on hit easier. and i feel it wouldn't hurt us to let Sektor have that.

on another note:

its amazing how many people Hate every thing about MKX.

i seen a few posts stating they would change basically the entire mechanics of MKX. because well they think everything about MKX is cheap.

you guys can play another game.. this is just my personal opinion, and don't take it personal, look who im saying this to, MK community, just hold the Pitchforks and keep a wet towl near when you set me on fire.

Why I Love Mortal Kombat Games!

Whats always been fun to me about MK games is the "mind games"

MKXL Has Taken MK9 to the next level! now we have Cancel pressure into mind games, Vortex into mind games, 50/50 mind Games, Stagger strings into mind games, Footsie mind games(less than MK9 footsie but none the less), Conditioning Mind games, Space control mind games.

this game is so much fun to me and will never get old to me, because its all about Reads' and getting into your opponents head.

on a daily basis i can Critique my previous sets, and figure out my weaknesses, where I had gaps in my Game, what was the weakest link that round, my Footsies, neutral, Pressure, Defense, Reversal's/punishes, Setups or reads or Blocking or evading HTB's and so on, and i can Lab up what i should do the next set against that Character.

My motto is to "Never Nerf Or Complain" about a characters Strong point's or (Dirt). It's to "ADAPT" to them, choose to find what the correct response to them are, or what i can do to avoid a characters Hard or though setups. This game is about Tricking your opponent, Getting into their head and causing them to Step out of turn.
you can always ask others for help on moves or situations you don't know how to deal with, and if your immidiate freinds don't know how to deal with it, then reach further, we have forums, and multiple outlets to find the asnwers we need.

always remember that more than 90% of the community will complain rather than LAB. its the FGC's automatic response to blame a character than themselfs," i have been guilty of this myself"
i often find a person pulling something on me that i feel at the time is op, and sometimes i will come back at it with all the wrong things, to only find out very much later there was a simple response to that move/HTB/Setup that could have got me free and clear. sometimes you just need that other persons state of mind to find it.

I openly admit if you get me into a HTB and i incorrectly block it, it was because I didn't use correct footsies, and I blocked incorrectly.

I choose not to Blame the game or others for my mistakes!

the only way to get better is to realize anything in the game is fair play and not Cheap, there are some that would consider Certain moves to be "cheap" "Broken" or "OP".

This is only true in their eyes and not the Games eyes. if a game Developer allows moves to be used then by all means use them. "Play to Win" not by what a Veteran FGM call's "Scrub Standards" or "Scrub Mentality"

If it is however so broken than the game developer Deems it unusable, don't worry, it will be removed, because if its not intended to be, NRS won't allow it to be.

if it shows up at a major and the Game developer notices something truly "Broken" they will remove it, no need to make it apparent to them, they will find it because QA will be at all tournaments. (and believe me someone will still be crying about it)

Noone wants their character nerfed, you may even feel that you know better than The game developer because you put a lot of time into that character. but trust me, They made that character capable of performing those HTB's Vortex's and so on. they have a very capable staff with very capable Players to Overlook and find tech for them. sometimes we will find Tech before they do, but rest assured it will all be revealed in due time, and then its up to them and only them if it will stay or go.

"Practice Hard! Train Hard, and ADAPT Harder, thats the Key to Victory"

@Guds Skyfall
Hey mate!

Yeah, I know you showed me. At that moment I stuffed it every time. But I tried again later in practice and only got it down around 20% of the time, if even that. And then I didn't even have to take different wakeup timing into account.

I don't understand the part about not being an anti-air; when I attempted to jump on his wakeup I got hit.

My point isn't that we need to nerf the move, it is rather that we should leave these ****ing characters alone for a while and explore their tech and potential counters. Sektor got destroyed, and I'm just saying it makes no sense since he isn't even the strongest out of them all.

Sektor was absolutely broken before launch. Ex flamethrower + on block. Who the **** thought that was a good idea? The same incompetence that had them consider giving him such a broken tool was the reason they overnerfed him. His missiles are currently +43 on hit which is impossible to hitconfirm from with teleport uppercut. Something like 50 frames would make it possible without retaining those dumb trades into full combos he could do before. That's fair.

MKX is a fun game, but I miss the mobility of MK9. Also, I personally prefer frame trap heavy games to 50/50 dominated ones; frame traps require more knowledge to apply effectively.

Last edited:
I'm amazed no ones mentioned how almost every character's primary colour is that revolting sickly green/brown which also weirdly constitutes at least half of the stages,I try and watch streams sometimes but mostly find myself screaming at the screen 'TURN THE LIGHT ON!'
other than that the game is the shits.
enjoy your day people.
This- I thought i was the only one. MK9 seems a lot more colorful and varied. MKX, as much as i love how improved it is, damn every thing is vile brown/green. So depressing and muted. I think the stages are all boring, really. I only like the Kove, Portal Kamp and the Jungle. The rest are just brown. I hope NRS takes a page from KI, their stages are all varied and gorgeous looking.

Female Hitboxes and some mids, which can be neutral crouched by anyone but the big characters like Tremor (Quan's Portal Grab and Liu's last hit on f444).

Also 50/50s should only ever be safe when meter burned, if possible.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This thread is abysmal.

While I agree that inconsistent balance changes continue to be a problem, everything else appears to be the typical TYM whining. I see that Sektor players are still crying that up rockets are no longer +200 on hit when the in-game frame data had always stated that the move was supposed to be +43. The reduction of hit advantage on 1,1,1,2 was a much, much bigger change and the result of Cyber Sub Zero's corner vortex and unblockable traps.

NRS has provided everything that we have requested. Functional and playable online gameplay. More DLC characters. Game support for almost a year. I dislike the nature of the game, but in terms of content NRS has delivered with Mortal Kombat XL much more so than Capcom has with Street Fighter IV. The NRS team deserves to be recognized, not trashed. Mortal Kombat X is one of the best selling fighting games of all time.

The game is fine. All modern fighting games are fast-paced and highly pressure and mix up oriented. Even a zoning zealot like me has made this obvious realization. Playing this game has been frustrating, but it has made me a more complete player.

This thread is abysmal.

While I agree that inconsistent balance changes continue to be a problem, everything else appears to be the typical TYM whining. I see that Sektor players are still crying that up rockets are no longer +200 on hit when the in-game frame data had always stated that the move was supposed to be +43. The reduction of hit advantage on 1,1,1,2 was a much, much bigger change and the result of Cyber Sub Zero's corner vortex and unblockable traps.

NRS has provided everything that we have requested. Functional and playable online gameplay. More DLC characters. Game support for almost a year. I dislike the nature of the game, but in terms of content NRS has delivered with Mortal Kombat XL much more so than Capcom has with Street Fighter IV. The NRS team deserves to be recognized, not trashed. Mortal Kombat X is one of the best selling fighting games of all time.

The game is fine. All modern fighting games are fast-paced and highly pressure and mix up oriented. Even a zoning zealot like me has made this obvious realization. Playing this game has been frustrating, but it has made me a more complete player.
I like how you completely disregard the fact that basically each and every Sektor player acknowledges that the hitstun was way too much pre nerf. Some people just love their straw men.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
My gripe with the game is that the offense is so ridiculous and you can be put in a guess right or die situation so easily, I find it impossible to establish mind games. I love offense despite being a defensive player - my main in mk9 was Cage, the most offense based character in the game. But in mk9 and in other fighting games I feel like I can relax and try and set things up, establish patterns to take advantage of later on, etc. But in MKX every character's offense is so ridiculous that I feel like I can't be patient like that because if I don't try and blend them to death in the first 15 seconds of the round they are going to do it to me. It is almost as if since the offense is so good you can't get your opponent to be afraid of your offense easily, because they just say fuck it I'm going to mix them up first. The whole game is just so punishing and volatile it drives me crazy.
Look at the firepower that these characters are packing. How can it not be an offensive game?

Whether you're getting burned by missiles while getting hit with an uppercut right in the sweet spot - getting sliced by a bladed hat while getting your leg kicked out from underneath you and hit with strikes designed to break your collarbone - or just being run through by a maniac with a chainsaw - how much fight in you will be left - or even better - what defense is there for it to begin with?