What's new

My #1 idea to improve MKX Online Experience. Thoughts?

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Or they could just use another damn engine..i swear if the next nrs game is on unreal engine 3.... KI has stages with a lot going on and its still pretty damn smooth. Absolutely no reason why netcode should be this bad in 2015...whats even worse is they refuse to say anything about it, yeah most likely they can't fix it now as you just cant "fix" netcode, but atleast let us know something ..

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
All that really means is you have a good connection to that person. Even if their Net is good, if your connection with them sucks (your ping to one another), then it's gonna be laggy.
Well it just so happens I have a great connection w many and those people I have discussed w their internet so there's something to that

E

Eldriken

Or they could just use another damn engine..i swear if the next nrs game is on unreal engine 3.... KI has stages with a lot going on and its still pretty damn smooth. Absolutely no reason why netcode should be this bad in 2015...whats even worse is they refuse to say anything about it, yeah most likely they can't fix it now as you just cant "fix" netcode, but atleast let us know something ..
It shouldn't be on UE3. Their contract for using that engine ended during MKX's development, I believe. Hopefully they'll move onto UE4 or some other up-to-date engine.

E

Eldriken

Well it just so happens I have a great connection w many and those people I have discussed w their internet so there's something to that
From my experience, it often seems like I have a good connection with folks more often than I don't. Most of the people I play here or that I met from ranked have pretty good games with the occasional spike.

It's just that when it's bad, it's really effin' bad.

I'm not against this idea at all, Pig. I'm just wanting to make that clear. I'm not trying to argue with you over it or anything of that nature. It's just that if you're lagging while playing someone, it's not necessarily THEIR connection that's at fault. It's just the connection between both of you.

There are people that I play regularly that are on wireless and our games run perfectly fine.

SamZ

Noob
The connection goes by the lowest bandwidth. Your connection is slowing him down.

Even my 350mb/30mb connection would slow your friend down.
Obviously the lowest connection is going to be a bottleneck. We both have decent connection speeds is my point. Or are you saying you need above 50mb u/d?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
From my experience, it often seems like I have a good connection with folks more often than I don't. Most of the people I play here or that I met from ranked have pretty good games with the occasional spike.

It's just that when it's bad, it's really effin' bad.

I'm not against this idea at all, Pig. I'm just wanting to make that clear. I'm not trying to argue with you over it or anything of that nature. It's just that if you're lagging while playing someone, it's not necessarily THEIR connection that's at fault. It's just the connection between both of you.

There are people that I play regularly that are on wireless and our games run perfectly fine.
I'm not about to waste time arguing if wireless is acceptable

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
It shouldn't be on UE3. Their contract for using that engine ended during MKX's development, I believe. Hopefully they'll move onto UE4 or some other up-to-date engine.
I really hope so, anyone who understands netcode knows that there is a 90% chance this cant be fixed and this is how it will stay. Now all we can do is hope for the next game.....like we did for the past 2 fucking nrs games... funny thing is, they know how bad it is, yet host an online only tournament..

E

Eldriken

I really hope so, anyone who understands netcode knows that there is a 90% chance this cant be fixed and this is how it will stay. Now all we can do is hope for the next game.....like we did for the past 2 fucking nrs games... funny thing is, they know how bad it is, yet host an online only tournament..
What's even worse is when it's lagging horrendously during the stream and the commentators can't even say anything about it. LOL

I love watching Ketchup's stream and when it starts to lag, he gets mad about it (rightfully so), but when he's commentating the EU ESL matches and they lag, he can't say one thing about it. XD

Wigy

There it is...
Good idea, however if nrs cant a netcode right in almost 2016.. They wont get this right.

Wigy

There it is...
Also, u/d doesn't matter after about 10mb its ping!

My internet at home is around 20mb down 5 up and my ping is around 40-50

at uni my download is 8mb and ping is about 30

Think of it like pipes and water, a pipe carrying 5l of water from a to b in 10 minutes is worse than 2.5 from a to b in 5 if you only need 2.5l

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
Didn't read the rest of the thread, but how about just a wired mode in general in addition to the tournament mode that has the same requirements?.

nwo

Noob
Games can know whatever the system API let's them know. I am not sure if XONE API allows games to know if connection is "wired"

But that's not the issue. The system can know if the Ethernet port is in use, but it doesn't know if the source is the main access point. You can plug your system into a laptop, use it as a bridge, then connect wirelessly to your router. All the system knows is wired is in use, and it's transferring data. It's still wireless.
I know a way.

You can just put a check box that asks "does wireless matter?" and then flush them all down the toilet into their wireless utopia.

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
this, and, get fucking rid of this engine.... with the money that this game made, they could "pressure" Warner, to allow them, time to develop an engine, that they could use for Mortal Kombat, and Injustice.... specific developed, for a fighting game....

.....with KI netcode pls.....

Last edited:
Random thought: once mkx ultimate edition is released, can that be the opportunity for a revamped netkode? I don't recall if the past NRS ultimate editions shared the same netkode of intial release?

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
I think it's a good idea, I just think it's stupid NRS would have to do that. They just need to fix their damn netcode.
i think this more stemmed from pig hosting a tourney and had a few ppl trying to play with strict or moderate connections and the tourney got held up a bit. NRS netcode always to blame but this time i think this came to the forefront because even if the netcode was perfect - this still could have happened since of the strict and moderate .

edit- continue on - cause it seemed like the thread has steered more towards the nrs netcode topic the more i read on, lol. #buffnetcode

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Two players having a good connection doesn't ensure a reliable tournament experience, or reliable competitive experience for that matter. NRS needs to put their time and effort into an actual decent net code and online functionality, not nerf Cyrax only to make him even better. Let's address the actual problem, please.

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
All the net code is in Cyrax's net anyway. Put Cyrax in the game and every match with him will be smooth as butter.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
This doesn't fix shit, would only hide the garbage NRS calls net code.
I been playing cod for a few weeks, got back to mkx today.
The online made me want to smash my pad, I didn't because this is the only ps4 pad I have and times are tough.
Injustice 2 will release with a shitty netcode as well, because that's not their priorities.
NRS makes an entertainment product and the net code is not that essential when you just want your game to have lots of features to sell a shit ton.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
Probably not the place... but does MKX's online experience seem worse than that of MK9 & Injustice. MKX is the only game I know where when Lagmageddon strikes it doesn't disconnect and will allow us to play the whole Lag-A-Mania out. All 3 rounds if need be.

In injustice and MK9 it usually always disconnected or desynchronized any bad connection. Couple that with it seems more frequent in MKX than the other two.

In injustice and MK9 I know I didn't feel sluggish in every other match.

According to speedtest.net I rock a 125mbps Down/45mbps Up