What's new

My #1 idea to improve MKX Online Experience. Thoughts?

For the first time in my gaming life I have been forced to stop playing a game because the online was so unplayable. I don't moan and throw the word unplayable every day like alot of people in fact i don't think I've ever used the word unplayable so sincerely in a game before. I try all my other games, they work fine. I test my connection, I'm running at 70mb and upload is like 8mb. I can't play online no matter how much i try. Making suggestions about tournament mode won't do anything. Like people are saying, its the net code itself. It is the foundation and structure of how online was built and works. Making a new mode on top of this already unstable foundation will just add more hassle and problems. People say net code is not fixable as it's one of those things that are built into the game kind of thing. If this is true, then what do I do as someone who has tried so hard to carry on playing this game and cannot? Nothing, and so I need to find another game. I've literally been forced out of this game.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
There is literally almost no greater hype disappointment than the first moment you go online with a brand new NRS game. Knowing that you are 2-3 years away from another minuscule chance at getting a game that performs well online is a pretty big buzzkill.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Its noble, but no dev/publisher in the universe will ever say "we've deliberately created a mode that some of our customers can't participate in."
Yet allowing those who can't play in this mode allow them in the other

There is NOTHING wrong w this

trufenix

bye felicia
Yet allowing those who can't play in this mode allow them in the other

There is NOTHING wrong w this
From your perspective there is nothing wrong with it and while I personally respect your intentions, that is not the way anyone who is not allowed to participate in this "Tournament" mode and has neither the money nor opportunity to get into it is going to see it.

I would be all for giving the players the ability to set connection limits or even create connection limited rooms or koth sessions, but having the game force it on everybody is just going to piss off a lot of people and lower sales.

9_Lives

Noob
I play KI online wireless and it works fine, in fact 99% of the games I play online work fine 99% of the time...NRS games are the only ones that have sucked consistently. I've tried MKX with wired connection and still no good. Netcode is a far worse issue than the user imho.

Pig Of The Hut

From your perspective there is nothing wrong with it and while I personally respect your intentions, that is not the way anyone who is not allowed to participate in this "Tournament" mode and has neither the money nor opportunity to get into it is going to see it.

I would be all for giving the players the ability to set connection limits or even create connection limited rooms or koth sessions, but having the game force it on everybody is just going to piss off a lot of people and lower sales.
Get what u pay for

Verizon > boast mobile

Israfel

Designer for BxA
I would be down for a tournament mode in general like Street Fighter 4 has. Everybody joins a lobby plays there matches, all matches can be viewed and it moves the bracket along by itself. It would be cool in general, especially for streamed online casual tournaments

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
The problem is that you don't need crazy internet speeds to have a great online experience. It's as though some people have gave up on blaming NRS and now point their finger at other reasons. Is wi-fi worse than wired? Yes. Is it still possible to have smooth games wirelessly? Yes. No fighting game should be put on the market without rollback. That's my $0.02

Also, my neighbor has MKX and the same ISP/plan. We tried playing online for giggles and it was still bad. NRS simply needs to get their shit together.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Could be totally off base on this, but could the reason mkx has shittier netcode than other fighting games have anything to with the fact that mkx has superior and more realistic graphics than other fighting games? KI and street fighter both have better netcode and both have more cartoonish graphics (same w skullgirls). Any correlation here?

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Could be totally off base on this, but could the reason mkx has shittier netcode than other fighting games have anything to with the fact that mkx has superior and more realistic graphics than other fighting games? KI and street fighter both have better netcode and both have more cartoonish graphics (same w skullgirls). Any correlation here?
While SF may look more cartoonish it actually bests MKX in a lot of graphical departments. For example, facial expressions during matches. Do you know what KI, Skullgirls, and SFV have in common? ROLLBACK.

E

Eldriken

I still don't see how the more intelligent folks on this site are overlooking the fact that you can have the godliest connection in the world and so can the person you're connecting to, but if your connection WITH EACH OTHER is crap, then it doesn't matter whether you're wired, wireless, or what your up/down speed is.

Like I said in a previous post, this is mainly NRS' fault and very rarely the person's fault. How do you guys not understand this yet?

If you can play KI, SF4, SF5 beta and plenty of other games just fine on a wireless connection, why is it hard to believe you can on MKX?

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I still don't see how the more intelligent folks on this site are overlooking the fact that you can have the godliest connection in the world and so can the person you're connecting to, but if your connection WITH EACH OTHER is crap, then it doesn't matter whether you're wired, wireless, or what your up/down speed is.

Like I said in a previous post, this is mainly NRS' fault and very rarely the person's fault. How do you guys not understand this yet?

If you can play KI, SF4, SF5 beta and plenty of other games just fine on a wireless connection, why is it hard to believe you can on MKX?
I back this post. I put in a good amount of time into Skullgirls on a wireless connection and it was vastly superior to MKX on a wired connection, but once again Skullgirls has GGPO. NRS simply needs to get with the times and implement rollback into future titles.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
While SF may look more cartoonish it actually bests MKX in a lot of graphical departments. For example, facial expressions during matches. Do you know what KI, Skullgirls, and SFV have in common? ROLLBACK.
I wonder if NRS tried rollback as well during the development process and decided against it for some reason. Suppose it's more probable that they didn't want to spend money on testing two types of netcode

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I have a 50x50 and Play with a friend that has Google fiber, which is 1gb up and down. We are fairly close to each other and it still sucks.
The connection goes by the lowest bandwidth. Your connection is slowing him down.

Even my 350mb/30mb connection would slow your friend down.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Games can know whatever the system API let's them know. I am not sure if XONE API allows games to know if connection is "wired"

But that's not the issue. The system can know if the Ethernet port is in use, but it doesn't know if the source is the main access point. You can plug your system into a laptop, use it as a bridge, then connect wirelessly to your router. All the system knows is wired is in use, and it's transferring data. It's still wireless.
I'm interested to know if a heuristic based approach with a simultaneous upload/download to/from a server would reveal any patterns between wireless and wired connections. I'm thinking you could reliably detect if a person is using a wireless connection by the pattern of sent/received packets. Basically this method exploits the fact that wireless is half duplex and will somehow have to schedule packet transfer to/from the base station, whereas a wired connection will be able to do both at the same time. Ideally, wifi would exhibit some kind of sinusoidal pattern of upload/download whereas pure wired would be all over the board.

Pig Of The Hut

Everyone I play that I know has good internet I have near flawless games w

That's why

Pig Of The Hut

I back this post. I put in a good amount of time into Skullgirls on a wireless connection and it was vastly superior to MKX on a wired connection, but once again Skullgirls has GGPO. NRS simply needs to get with the times and implement rollback into future titles.
See above

E

Eldriken

Everyone I play that I know has good internet I have near flawless games w

That's why
All that really means is you have a good connection to that person. Even if their Net is good, if your connection with them sucks (your ping to one another), then it's gonna be laggy.

E

Eldriken

Ping and jitter are much worse on wifi vs wired FYI.
I'm not claiming otherwise. I'm just saying, even if you're wired and both people have a good connection, if their connection to one another is bad, the aforementioned don't mean diddly.