What's new

My #1 idea to improve MKX Online Experience. Thoughts?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
To sum it up. A console as a piece of hardware can detect if Ethernet is being used. It can't detect if that Ethernet is a bridge or not.

UDP and TCP don't require packets to be sent with that info.

If you ever want to "get around" a supposed "wired only" requirement, just plug into a wireless bridge.

Fuck TCP
systems can and games cant?

zoofs

bless
I don't know about the actual restrictions because I just don't see how they could enforce these things, but otherwise I do like the idea of a tournament mode. Also, people that used to have bad connection could upgrade and then not even be able to use this mode because of their previous internet? not to mention penalties for possibly lagging once are kinda ridiculous when there are so many alternative factors that could affect connection outside of the blatant things like someone else downloading/streaming/etc.

E

Eldriken

So why would you not just use the "bridge" you're connected to?
(I have no clue what we're talking about, so forgive me if that's a dumb question.)
You can bridge your PS4 with your PC. You wire your PS4's Ethernet to your PC and your PC is wireless. Your PS4 may be wired, but it's bridged with a wireless connection. The console doesn't know that, so how would this supposed system know the difference?

That would be the problem.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Lmao. In order to do something about online NRS must first care about it.
They had years to get with times and all they did was coming up with "netcode? it will be awesome!" after repeatedly dodging questions.

In short, your ideas don't matter because NRS don't need ideas. Definitely not ones they could come up with themselves if they did care.

Solignac

Noob
Honestly, if they're not going to do anything with the netcode, this is really the next best thing I can think of doing.
And add some more shit for us more serious players like a first to X option or an ingame tournament bracket system.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
@Pig Of The Hut

I love this idea, and I think there is a slight adjustment that could make it work, apart from NRS developing their online more.

If both players enter tournament mode, no matter what the connection is like from either player, you can start the session, BUT, if the connection at any point once the game starts is caused to drop below a certain ping at any time, the fight will end and culprit for the connection issue will be confirmed by tournament mode, THEN a loss will be notched up to that person without the session ending and allowing set up for the next match, with either a rematch, character select or forfeit option. (Forfeit should have a "Are you sure?" option incase of any accidental selects).

Before hand, you should be able to set the options FT2/3/5 etc so that the score can be confirmed visually in a photograph without a new session having to be started, but mainly so players can't forget the current score or play more matches than they should.

Once set is over, you should have the option to stay in the session and take photographic evidence even if your opponent has left the session, because currently "the opponent has left the game" is stuck over the score board.

This means, players that choose to enter tournaments such as ESL with terrible connections, and proceed with questionable or lag friendly play and/or live in any suspect connection won't be able to progress in a tournament without notching up losses based on their connection. Until they can provide opponents with a good enough or stable enough connection for a legitimate fight, this will be their outcome.

Players that pay for good quality internet, that don't download or upload or stream during matches shouldn't be punished because other players aren't willing to do the same.

This could legitimise online, and force players to upgrade their equipment if they choose to enter online events, this would then force tournaments such as ESL to region their brackets better in the EU and USA.

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Wireless vs. wired isn't the answer. There's plenty of wired cable connections in high density areas that have a shit ping, just due to how cable internet works. i see you harping on this idea a lot, and I feel you're perpetuating a bad generalization. Theres plenty of wifi users who have a better connection than wired connections. your threshold shouldn't be wired vs wireless, but actual Up/Down speeds.

Full disclosure: I play games wired and wireless. I have 3 ps4's and it depends which one I'm using at that moment. FFXIV is much more taxing on the system and uses more data/bandwidth than MKX. If it can be played reliably on wifi, so can mkx. I know people keep searching for a fix, but there isn't one.
You should never play fighting games on a wireless connection. Up/Down speeds have very little to do with how good your connection is. You need a low ping without packet loss or jitter. Wireless can not provide that.

Read this thread if you care to see the reasons why wireless is inferior:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/why-do-you-believe-that-using-a-wired-connection-is-best.55170/

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I've said it before, but the one thing I think that shows that NRS really don't understand what's important online/what players want online is how many times you have to press rb or lb in a room to sort players by ping. Go try it. Count and also read the options it gives before ping. It's fucking insane.

This shows that they have no clue what the priority with online play is and I can't see that changing any time soon.

You can bridge your PS4 with your PC. You wire your PS4's Ethernet to your PC and your PC is wireless. Your PS4 may be wired, but it's bridged with a wireless connection. The console doesn't know that, so how would this supposed system know the difference?

That would be the problem.
So you're saying Mileena players are actually going to do this just so they can play in lag? :confused: Remember there is going to be a ping threshold before you get kick out of tournament mode, if they're people crazy enough to do this at least they're going to need a fast wireless connection anyways so I don't see the problem with this solution

systems can and games cant?
Games can know whatever the system API let's them know. I am not sure if XONE API allows games to know if connection is "wired"

But that's not the issue. The system can know if the Ethernet port is in use, but it doesn't know if the source is the main access point. You can plug your system into a laptop, use it as a bridge, then connect wirelessly to your router. All the system knows is wired is in use, and it's transferring data. It's still wireless.

E

Eldriken

So you're saying Mileena players are actually going to do this just so they can play in lag? :confused: Remember there is going to be a ping threshold before you get kick out of tournament mode, if they're people crazy enough to do this at least they're going to need a fast wireless connection anyways so I don't see the problem with this solution
You can get a good ping even on wireless.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Games can know whatever the system API let's them know. I am not sure if XONE API allows games to know if connection is "wired"

But that's not the issue. The system can know if the Ethernet port is in use, but it doesn't know if the source is the main access point. You can plug your system into a laptop, use it as a bridge, then connect wirelessly to your router. All the system knows is wired is in use, and it's transferring data. It's still wireless.
Would atleast cut down the wireless users drastically, the people using bridges in a gaming environment be rare

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Desperate times call for desperate measures?

I'd much before just some settings and options for when you search. Improved netcode. Ping NUMBERS. Better training mode. Less fluff "modes" (faction stuff).

Would like a "FTx" mode. I personally think all ranked modes should be ft2 at least. It's How we rank people offline.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It goes WAAAY beyond people having shitty connections. KI and halo work great online, NRS and WB should take after microsoft and invest in better online play. WB has the money, with arkham knight and mkx they are makin bank so why is this literally the worst online experience i and a lot of people have ever had in a game?(excluding other NRS a titles of course). People with shitty connections are in every game but it is so so so much worse in mkx.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

That's where the threshold comes in

It's a combination of all

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
Luckily, I have had good connections all though ESL. This week was the first time I linked up with a terrible connection.... it was not fun at all. Something needs to be done that's for sure.

Skedar70

Noob
Its gonna make no difference. They need to fix the entire net code. How is it possible that I can play tekken tag tournament 2 (or any other game) with my connection wireless or wired with zero lag and there is no way I can play mkx online? Their netcode is BS I wasn't able to play mk9, injustice or mkx but I can play any other game lag free.

E

Eldriken

Its gonna make no difference. They need to fix the entire net code. How is it possible that I can play tekken tag tournament 2 (or any other game) with my connection wireless or wired with zero lag and there is no way I can play mkx online? Their netcode is BS I wasn't able to play mk9, injustice or mkx but I can play any other game lag free.
Maybe one day people will realize that it's mainly NRS' fault and not other peoples' fault. Even if you're wired, you can STILL HAVE A SHITTY CONNECTION TO SOMEONE. It's like 99% NRS and 1% user as far as whose fault it is.

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
What really needs to happen is NRS needs to step up in this department
@tylerlansdown @colt

There needs to be a tournament mode online added. It would only allow people to enter tournament mode w a detected wired Xbox/ps4 connection and a required threshold ping/download/upload and this check occurs throughout the user's online stint.

If for any reason a sister, brother , etc turns on Netflix and pulls the connection down then tournament mode instantly kicks you off w a penalty timeout before trying to get back in tournament mode.

There needs to be a strong foundation put in place to prohibit people getting away w dumpster connections and NRS, while hoping they're finally improving net code, can eliminate 95% of the issues in the meantime just by implementing a mode such as this.

People w crap connections and wireless can play each other in the regular mode but people who can access tournament mode play people w wired confirmed connections and great internet

Thoughts? Does this make You nervous reading this ?
Something needs to be done. I Just get more and more depreseed lol. Good idea