What's new

My #1 idea to improve MKX Online Experience. Thoughts?

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
also harsher punishment for rage quitters ... whether on purpose or not, if you disco - automatic 10 minutes wait cool down

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
There honestly will still be issues within this mode, a lot of what makes the game work well in some cases is ports on ones connection and a lot of different aspects of networking. So while yes, if such a mode would be added, it should decrease the shitty third world internet connection players out, we will still have laggy ass online play. There is no way to really compensate for the lag.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
There honestly will still be issues within this mode, a lot of what makes the game work well in some cases is ports on ones connection and a lot of different aspects of networking. So while yes, if such a mode would be added, it should decrease the shitty third world internet connection players out, we will still have laggy ass online play. There is no way to really compensate for the lag.
NAT traversal is easy to detect and I'm pretty sure it's done at the application level.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Awesome idea and I support it, though I wont lie, my internet connection (while fine most of the time) can fluctuate sometimes too lol

What really needs to happen is NRS needs to step up in this department
@tylerlansdown @colt

There needs to be a tournament mode online added. It would only allow people to enter tournament mode w a detected wired Xbox/ps4 connection and a required threshold ping/download/upload and this check occurs throughout the user's online stint.

If for any reason a sister, brother , etc turns on Netflix and pulls the connection down then tournament mode instantly kicks you off w a penalty timeout before trying to get back in tournament mode.

There needs to be a strong foundation put in place to prohibit people getting away w dumpster connections and NRS, while hoping they're finally improving net code, can eliminate 95% of the issues in the meantime just by implementing a mode such as this.

People w crap connections and wireless can play each other in the regular mode but people who can access tournament mode play people w wired confirmed connections and great internet

Thoughts? Does this make You nervous reading this ?
Wireless vs. wired isn't the answer. There's plenty of wired cable connections in high density areas that have a shit ping, just due to how cable internet works. i see you harping on this idea a lot, and I feel you're perpetuating a bad generalization. Theres plenty of wifi users who have a better connection than wired connections. your threshold shouldn't be wired vs wireless, but actual Up/Down speeds.

Full disclosure: I play games wired and wireless. I have 3 ps4's and it depends which one I'm using at that moment. FFXIV is much more taxing on the system and uses more data/bandwidth than MKX. If it can be played reliably on wifi, so can mkx. I know people keep searching for a fix, but there isn't one.

The problem with mkx lies in the code itself. It's why offline timing is so drastically different than online. I've tested this with two ps4's in one house, wired. The lag remains. I tested it with two systems 6 blocks apart between 3 different houses(just in case it was just my internet). That online delay remains.Your connection speed doesn't matter. To put it into perspective: lag in a shooter, dude stands in place, then fires a billion shots skipping all over the map. Or sucks up bullets/burst fires because where he's at and where the server says he is are different. In mkx, were this issue the same, you would see lag, and then see half your health bar gone and you in the corner all of the sudden. Something is just wrong in the basic online environment of mkx, imo.

Lastly, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that mkx showed your ping to another player, not a central server. If that's the case, just because someone shows red to you doesn't mean their internet is shit, just that it's shit connecting to you. There's no way to fix that for ESL, if that's the case. Again, I'm not positive that's the case but I thought I read that somewhere.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Wireless vs. wired isn't the answer. There's plenty of wired cable connections in high density areas that have a shit ping, just due to how cable internet works. i see you harping on this idea a lot, and I feel you're perpetuating a bad generalization. Theres plenty of wifi users who have a better connection than wired connections. your threshold shouldn't be wired vs wireless, but actual Up/Down speeds.

Full disclosure: I play games wired and wireless. I have 3 ps4's and it depends which one I'm using at that moment. FFXIV is much more taxing on the system and uses more data/bandwidth than MKX. If it can be played reliably on wifi, so can mkx. I know people keep searching for a fix, but there isn't one.

The problem with mkx lies in the code itself. It's why offline timing is so drastically different than online. I've tested this with two ps4's in one house, wired. The lag remains. I tested it with two systems 6 blocks apart between 3 different houses(just in case it was just my internet). That online delay remains.Your connection speed doesn't matter. To put it into perspective: lag in a shooter, dude stands in place, then fires a billion shots skipping all over the map. Or sucks up bullets/burst fires because where he's at and where the server says he is are different. In mkx, were this issue the same, you would see lag, and then see half your health bar gone and you in the corner all of the sudden. Something is just wrong in the basic online environment of mkx, imo.

Lastly, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that mkx showed your ping to another player, not a central server. If that's the case, just because someone shows red to you doesn't mean their internet is shit, just that it's shit connecting to you. There's no way to fix that for ESL, if that's the case. Again, I'm not positive that's the case but I thought I read that somewhere.
since when did final fantasy games rely on 6 frame attacks?

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
What really needs to happen is NRS needs to step up in this department
@tylerlansdown @colt

There needs to be a tournament mode online added. It would only allow people to enter tournament mode w a detected wired Xbox/ps4 connection and a required threshold ping/download/upload and this check occurs throughout the user's online stint.

If for any reason a sister, brother , etc turns on Netflix and pulls the connection down then tournament mode instantly kicks you off w a penalty timeout before trying to get back in tournament mode.

There needs to be a strong foundation put in place to prohibit people getting away w dumpster connections and NRS, while hoping they're finally improving net code, can eliminate 95% of the issues in the meantime just by implementing a mode such as this.

People w crap connections and wireless can play each other in the regular mode but people who can access tournament mode play people w wired confirmed connections and great internet

Thoughts? Does this make You nervous reading this ?
I think it's a good idea. It would also increase the level of online play and make it more bearable. I personally never play online because everyone I know either has a PS4 or doesn't play MKX anymore, and the people I get matched up with in matchmaking are typically pretty scrubby. I think your idea would revitalize online competitiveness.

Apologia X

Trump 2020
The ping system was a good idea, but ultimately they failed with this as well because we all know at least half the time the ping system is wrong. Four green bars could easily translate to one bar and vice versa. They need a more accurate ping system along with better netcode and having a tournament mode will further improve the online experience.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
NAT is a big ol hump of shit and is very ambiguous with all the different types of routers out there though.
Implementation-wise, yes, but detection is easy.
  1. PS4: Hi, I'm 192.168.1.43!
  2. STUN Server: No, you're 48.103.39.11.
  3. PS4: Oh, ok.
My thought was that the STUN server could simply note hosts that initially advertise their local IP and flag them as non-tournament friendly. Alternatively, if the consoles have a higher level network service library, they might just be able to tell you if the console itself detected that it's on a NAT.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Implementation-wise, yes, but detection is easy.
  1. PS4: Hi, I'm 192.168.1.43!
  2. STUN Server: No, you're 48.103.39.11.
  3. PS4: Oh, ok.
My thought was that the STUN server could simply note hosts that initially advertise their local IP and flag them as non-tournament friendly. Alternatively, if the consoles have a higher level network service library, they might just be able to tell you if the console itself detected that it's on a NAT.
Thats true. I think we shouldn't say anymore though, NRS may start stealing our ideas :DOGE

Xev

Noob
I don't know how they would be able to determine that they're using a wired connection. IF they based it on their download/upload/ping, they would have to set the bar pretty high because some WiFi connections do allow for rather fast download speeds. What would the threshold for that be?

At a minimum the game could have some indicator by the players name that they're using wi-fi. DOA 5 LR has that, no reason they couldn't do that here. As for pig's idea I'm for it. Something needs to be done at least, it's horrid as is...

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
To sum it up. A console as a piece of hardware can detect if Ethernet is being used. It can't detect if that Ethernet is a bridge or not.

UDP and TCP don't require packets to be sent with that info.

If you ever want to "get around" a supposed "wired only" requirement, just plug into a wireless bridge.

Fuck TCP
So why would you not just use the "bridge" you're connected to?
(I have no clue what we're talking about, so forgive me if that's a dumb question.)