What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

On top of that, Soul Steal ender which gives max damage in certain combos isn’t accessible for Soul Eater.
Oh, and he loses the throw KB!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Most conversions go into lift or super kick and end in slide ranging from 22% to 26%. They scale really really really bad! Considering pre patch ground skulls did 30-36% and current exploding corpse drop does 35-42% on the same conversions I really fail to ser the point of this variation. I Played over 5 hours with him today and the only KB I hit was B12 5 times. The way I see it Shang has to sacrifice dmg, space control and utility to use a good looking variation that offers nothing in return.
I mean I'm not getting anything less than 25%, and that's on the worst one with F24, unless there's another realistic starter that I overlooked. Don't be afraid to use some string enders. Like 25-28% one bar depending on the starter, which seems about on par with Warlock, but this variation also has really good two bar damage. 30% easy, as much as 37% depending on the starter and that's without Reptile KB. The other variations don't come close to that. And you might say that two bars of meter is a lot, but there's no Corpse Drop, Inferno or Flames to spend meter on. Unless Rain cancels and parries become a big part of your gameplan then I imagine two bars won't be that tough to come by.

Pre patch is pre patch man, IDK what to say about that. And man Exploding Corpse Drop that's gonna be a nah from me haha

Dante

Noob
It offers counter zoning and combo extensions. Should be better vs a few matchups. Better than the other bad variation for sure

Agilaz

It has begun
Im really surprised Spellmaster got zero changes.

Ninjas seem fine tbh, it's def gonna be a matter of MUs. Anybody who shuts down warlock's gameplan can prolly be managed with the new var

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
The only thing I would change is the superkick KB requirement.
I honestly am not having any problems hitting the lift shake or slide KB's during matches.
I'm seeing a lot of people complain about warlocks damage it is a zoning variation with combo capabilities you should not be hitting 30 + damage from full screen in my honest opinion that was little unbalanced, that also goes that if he's a good zoner he shouldn't be hitting 30+ in combos either. This is all my opinion of course and people are going to argue with it and that's fine. I am enjoying his third variation immensely in any matchups I have trouble with warlock seems to be able to pick up the slack

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Do they really think shitty moves with 0 synergy, low reward and pointless KBs can make a decent variation?
I would say you have just described NRS's formula for most variations in this game. LOL.

The point is I agree with your post. The third variation is lacking. I already see some people saying "But the third variation is better than the second one!". Obviously, but everything is better than Shang Tsung's second variation.

So Rain cancels, are they plus and legit for pressure like mk9?
No.

Ninjas seem fine tbh, it's def gonna be a matter of MUs. Anybody who shuts down warlock's gameplan can prolly be managed with the new var
With the possible exception of Cetrion, how do the ninjas help against top tier characters like Geras, Jax, and Liu Kang?

Last edited:

Agilaz

It has begun
With the possible except of Cetrion, how do the ninjas help against top tier characters like Geras, Jax, and Liu Kang?
Soul Eater not being too effective against those characters isn't the variations fault. Geras and Liu especially are just potato characters who have an advantage over every character regardless of variation.

As for Jax, I think Warlock is still the way to go

This patch was a disappointment in most ways...they took more good things away from shang...no frame adjustments to rains kick his KB not even a free launcher when land kb and ermac slam kb not a free launcher. Reptile slid no frame adjustment with startup or distance. Took corpse drop away and soul steal with his kb grab gone....on top of that they dont give no knew skins

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I don't think many characters will be able to punish F24~Rain Kick with that pushback, the cancel should be useful from that option.

One of the underlooked things about the cancels(Rain's Kick and Spellmaster's Screaming Soul cancels) is that it changes you positioning as compared to a normal stagger. Like a F24~cancel leaves you close enough where a step throw is possible, as opposed to a normal F24 leaves you a bit too far for that. The cancels/stagger are very minus but F242 gives you some respect to be able to make it happen.

Mahjunia

Noob
I used to main Ermac in MKX and here in MK11 I was playing Raiden since launch, but I'm switching to Shang Ninjas so I can play my boy and have a lot of fun even if the dmg is actually low.