What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

Agilaz

It has begun
21U2D2 goes mid-overhead at the end I think people will be able to react to that quite easily. Speaking of which, that string is kind of trash. Anyone find uses for it?
You can probably get away with using it once in a set, but other than that, no. Even 214 seems lackluster despite it being safe. Why would I even do 214 if I can do 114 or 112?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
You can probably get away with using it once in a set, but other than that, no. Even 214 seems lackluster despite it being safe. Why would I even do 214 if I can do 114 or 112?
Yeah IDK, I use 214 sometimes because I like the pushback and the knockdown if it hits but I never use U2D2. I could see 21U2D2 giving respect for the 21 stagger because the animation is so long but it's -8 so it's not something I ever want to throw out. That input is also kind whack.

Well you won't have too much fun fuzzying B12/B1~slide as B1 is already a great stagger with the overhead and other followup.

Hey, Soultaker gets 23% from that! :mad:

21U2D2 goes mid-overhead at the end I think people will be able to react to that quite easily. Speaking of which, that string is kind of trash. Anyone find uses for it?
you are right my bad , it was +6 in shang early access but people said it was false frame data in the menu , this string has no purpose at all then

I am starting to think nrs just dont like shang. How in the kombat cast they remove corpse drop and soul steal but kung lao get two 2 slot moves...them frame better atleast change

Marinjuana

I don't know if I can get behind a Shang without Soul Steal but these combos ending in Reptile Slide are sick.

I could see him being good. Good damage from any hit confirm, lift is potentially super obnoxious and he'll be unzonable against some characters. Not sure if he'll have that great of mix and he won't have Warlock's zoning but I imagine he'll force a lot of characters to play neutral and that could work well in Shang's favor with lift and damage. We'll see, it's about Shake IMO.

i just recently played a lot of match with him im not sure how good he is.
hes normal are still super slow and you have to work hard to open someone up. the gimmick 50/50 works but the reward isnt that great if the enemy has bar you might die if you go for the low. everything he does is unsafe beside rain kick. the cancel isnt worth it atm. anyway lets see with the patch

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i mean, shangs normals, despite being slow are still pretty good due to how much ground they cover, i will say that he'd be better with a good mid stagger like most of the top characters seem to have, but we'll see i guess.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Kinda finding the 4-amp slide kbs combos bit inconsistent, seems tight enough to hit after the rain kick to make sure it kb's every time, rain kick easier than off ermac lift though
Maybe just need pratice both more

Kinda finding the 4-amp slide kbs combos bit inconsistent, seems tight enough to hit after the rain kick to make sure it kb's every time, rain kick easier than off ermac lift though
Maybe just need pratice both more
you need to hit your s4 at the peek to get it , thats the hard part

Edited a way to fix this would have to give s4 less recovery on hit and slide start up to be a bit faster.

214 tends to push them back, i stagger 21 a bit and 21 u2d2 most people are use to seeing 21 due to u2d2 being a very stric timing string and rare. The 214 on pushback puts you at a really good distance where people tend to press buttons or jump, if followed with a soul steal its guaranteed on a jumping opponent. In my experience at least. I practiced the timing of the 21U2D2 and can hit it regularly and it tends to be great in the corner with a hard knockdown. I usually follow with a shimmy and b2 112. With great success. Always find it useful to use strings people arent use to seeing for guessing, and even -8. It feels sage in terms of people dont expect itand arent sure after they see it. My guess is the rarity due to the timing of it.

21 stagger into d4, into 214 is pretty decent or 21u2d2.. nothing shang does will inspire fear like any string from jax or kang

Last edited:

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Force Lift doesn't have a visible hitbox attach to it.

Use it at your discretion.

EDIT: Also 112 Frame Trap works with Force Lift.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

September Patch Notes

· Shang Tsung - Added the Kompetitive Mode preset "Soul Eater" which has the following Ability - Shapeshifter's Training (3)

· Shang Tsung - Added new ability - Shapeshifter's Training

· Shang Tsung - Slide Amplified can now be delayed to work better in juggles

· Shang Tsung - Fixed an issue with some Krushing Blows while morphed into the opponent doing slightly higher damage then intended

· Shang Tsung - Fixed an issue with several characters weapons playing an incorrect animation when they being hit by Shake ability

· Shang Tsung - Fixed an issue preventing Shang Tsung from using Erron Black's Zaterrean Spit while morphed in certain circumstances

· Shang Tsung - Fixed an issue that caused Shang Tsung to briefly become invisible if hit with Geras' Temporal Advantage right after hitting Shapeshifter's Barrage (Fatal Blow)

kcd117

Noob
So in the new variation we lose:

Shang's best neutral tool in corpse drop;
His great chip dmg in regular db1;
A very good neutral check in soul steal;

and in return we get:

2 unsafe launchers with terrible scaling;
A slow projectile parry;
A 20 frame slide;
Some of the worst KBs in the game;
24% BnBs.

Can anyone explain to me why bother adding this variation like that? Do they really think shitty moves with 0 synergy, low reward and pointless KBs can make a decent variation? I'd really like to hear from the NRS balance team what the hell was the idea behind this shit bc I feel like I'm way too sober rn to understand how this variation can have a use.

Marinjuana

So in the new variation we lose:

Shang's best neutral tool in corpse drop;
His great chip dmg in regular db1;
A very good neutral check in soul steal;

and in return we get:

2 unsafe launchers with terrible scaling;
A slow projectile parry;
A 20 frame slide;
Some of the worst KBs in the game;
24% BnBs.

Can anyone explain to me why bother adding this variation like that? Do they really think shitty moves with 0 synergy, low reward and pointless KBs can make a decent variation? I'd really like to hear from the NRS balance team what the hell was the idea behind this shit bc I feel like I'm way too sober rn to understand how this variation can have a use.
Well how are you only getting 24% with this character?

kcd117

Noob
Well how are you only getting 24% with this character?
Most conversions go into lift or super kick and end in slide ranging from 22% to 26%. They scale really really really bad! Considering pre patch ground skulls did 30-36% and current exploding corpse drop does 35-42% on the same conversions I really fail to ser the point of this variation. I Played over 5 hours with him today and the only KB I hit was B12 5 times. The way I see it Shang has to sacrifice dmg, space control and utility to use a good looking variation that offers nothing in return.

Check the lift conversions on females, a lot of optimal damage is impossible on them. And that makes 1 bar lift bnbs do less damage then 1 bar Ground Eruption bnbs from most starters on females. That is messed up.