What's new

UMK3:TE Revision 2.0.042 is Out Now!

MRIGOTBASS

No they are not.

Kara jabs are either block, hk, lk, run used to cancel the recovery animation of the jab to recover sooner. Typically used in the strategy "run jabs". You can use them to attempt an aaHP with the option select of blocking if you are unsuccessful.

Glitch jabs are holding block while you jab repeatedly. No effort is made to cancel recovery because that is not what you are doing with them. It is to put up a wall of offense while simultaneously blocking low and throws.

They are absolutely not the same.
The intent is open to interpretation, the moves are executed exactly the same with the same properties and until you can get on any version of UMK3 and beat me I could give a shit less what you think is the answer. LOL

I could sit here and make the argument that it was never intended in the game to cancel jabs PERIOD let alone more than 1 at a time, but because it suits your playstyle it had to be intended right ?

You are in essance tuning the game to how YOU feel its supposed to be played.

By no means am I putting down anyone's skills @Konqrr you are a great player, but even with the source code and months of heads up you lost to Bass, how can we sit here and take what you say to heart man ??

Like I said if anyone wants to play UMK3 TE and thier buddies or friends enjoy it, as long as your having fun thats all that matters. This is a game in the end of the day, and if you enjoy playing a modified version that you made, God Bless as long as you have fun doing it !!

dubson

Noob
hell, glitch jabs/kara jabs have been around since MK1.....! and there wasn't a run button in those games. basically implying that both canceling jabs AND glitch jabs were meant to be in the game or why in the fawk did they not get addressed in MK1 let alone MK2.

if you think it's a bitch to play against in UMK3, you should go play MK1 against a top notch player and holla back....

i'm all for character changes/balancing but idk about removing glitch jabs and completely changing the core of the game

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
By no means am I putting down anyone's skills @Konqrr you are a great player, but even with the source code and months of heads up you lost to Bass, how can we sit here and take what you say to heart man ??
Why do you guys keep bringing this up? It has absolutely zero to do with anything. I am not an online player, nor will I ever be. He wanted to play, and I did. He said "can I upload?", I said sure. It's not like anyone was playing to win.

Understanding how the game works and being able to interpret source code or even being able to do difficult combos does not make someone "good" at any game.

Kara and Glitch jabs are not executed the same way.

Kara = jab~block/hk/lk/run

Glitch = jab~block~mash jab while holding block

You start them the same, but that's it. You are not canceling any jab recovery frames as is the entire point of a kara jab, you are masking a block input so you can hold it and block attacks.

The way you bring up bass and base the merit of someone's understanding of how things work on their ability to beat you then say "LOL" at the end of the sentence show how immature you are.

@dubson If glitch jabs are the "core" of the game, I opt out.

dubson

Noob
@dubson If glitch jabs are the "core" of the game, I opt out.
that's really not fair, man. glitch jabs does Not have to be just standing punching the entire match, just because Some people do it... the best players have learned to implement it into their gameplay. Noone is a top player simply because they glitch jab Or glitch jab the entire match... they are great players without it and they added it in optimally....

you didn't really address my point about it being around since literally the inception of Mortal Kombat and not being removed even up to UMK3 and many revisions for each game before it?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Conversation is getting dumb and really getting away from the topic, especially with citing other players. As pertains to this mod of the game, glitch jabs are gone and they aren't coming back. This is one of few changes that isn't going to change back. 99% of players are displeased by them.

Dubson, you ask why glitch jabs weren't removed in the arcade MKs, but yet it wasn't documented until FIFTEEN YEARS after MK1 came out. The answer probably is, they never found it.

If you think kara jabs and glitch jabs are the same tactic then you aren't ready for a balance discussion. Kara jabs can be stationary, you can mix them with run, but the bottom God damn line is you HAVE to press a canceling button in order to do them. Alternating between LP/D+B+BL and F+R =/= Mash HP or LP repeatedly and hold D+B+BL.

Please bring this conversation back to reporting bugs and making additional suggestions. The glitch jab revert suggestion has been made, and has been rightfully denied. Plenty more stuff to mess around with guys, you need to get over this.

Gotta start recruiting and promoting.
Not going to go recruiting/promoting a game that's in Beta. I was talking about play testing as is consistent with the post.

Please bring this conversation back to reporting bugs and making additional suggestions. The glitch jab revert suggestion has been made, and has been rightfully denied. Plenty more stuff to mess around with guys, you need to get over this.
I don't see how the concept of playing online is so foreign, especially for beta testing.

dammmn the OSUB nerf :((
any containment (freeze, or puddle into freeze which anyone worth their salt can do), leads to sujk, hp hp d+lp d+hp, deep jk, HK, for 43%. that's way more meat and potatoes than bread and butter. I don't think "nerf" is the right word here lol.

MKK hanzo

hell, glitch jabs/kara jabs have been around since MK1.....! and there wasn't a run button in those games. basically implying that both canceling jabs AND glitch jabs were meant to be in the game or why in the fawk did they not get addressed in MK1 let alone MK2.

if you think it's a bitch to play against in UMK3, you should go play MK1 against a top notch player and holla back....

i'm all for character changes/balancing but idk about removing glitch jabs and completely changing the core of the game

Also AFTER UMK3, MKT both versions and EVEN a complete overhaul/engine/graphics game like MK4 HAS them. (just to add to your post)

EDIT: BTW what happened to the proposal (I think by Phil) of ONLY aplying the jab changes to Vanilla? I would be VERY interested on that.

Last edited:
the Kabal fireball we are tossing around ideas on how to make it viable but not stupid. The problem is there are 8 pixel increments where you can adjust how high he can be for firing limits. I think right now it's 8px lower than the original modification during this round of edits. So it was super nerfed, then half buffed.

The combo reactions have been edited in some situations to knock characters further back for say zoning characters. Sektor's 4 hit I think knocks them back full screen like Sub's 3 hit kick combo. The way they fly away can be changed to some extent. Some of them look out of place, but again it's a WIP. For example, I didn't like how Jade's Glow Kick reaction looked so it was modified.
I meant more just the autocombos themselves, like kabal's 5 hit popup at one point was doing just an inordinate amount of screen shaking. doesn't happen every time though.

MKK hanzo

Ahhh didnt read that post (my bad), but... Mmmm I dont want to derail this anymore but... They (Midway and testers and blah) werent SO naive back then. There are stuff in the games that you can see THEY KNEW what they were doing. Kabal Spin Dash CANNOT be done to punish blocked Lk/Hk/Sweeps neither can Sonya Leg Grab with Sweeps... This is INTENTIONAL, and was looked upon to, for example.

I talked A LOT with Lex, one of the top players at their time (maybe the best) and tester of various Midway games and also Moe it was like 2005 or so (there should be a vid of Moe doing them on his personal cabinet), and they had knowledge about the "standing and punching while blocking" now called glitch jabs.

In fact, Lex and I called them "piano block" or something. Its not something that the internet players discovered or invented, yet popularized. And also as every OG here can see, butthurt/crymoar/askforbuffs etc has popularized as well instead of ADAPTATION. Hell even in other countries like Dominican Republic they ALWAYS played like that, abusing the GJ.

What REALLY damaged (and keep damaging) this is the fact that emulating the game, you can map MULTIPLE inputs to a same button and have like one LP button that has BACK mapped to it, and you then have a running unthrowable foe doing chip at you and so on.

The game really WASNT prepared/made for those stuff and having the "plus" of online lag, it made this all more "uncomfy" to play.

Believe me, offline, if you know what you are doing, a gjabbing player would not only LOSE, but will manage to look stupid at the same time.

Those are my 2 cents

EDIT:

Vid found, and I correct, 2007.

dubson

Noob
Ahhh didnt read that post (my bad), but... Mmmm I dont want to derail this anymore but... They (Midway and testers and blah) werent SO naive back then. There are stuff in the games that you can see THEY KNEW what they were doing. Kabal Spin Dash CANNOT be done to punish blocked Lk/Hk/Sweeps neither can Sonya Leg Grab with Sweeps... This is INTENTIONAL, and was looked upon to, for example.

I talked A LOT with Lex, one of the top players at their time (maybe the best) and tester of various Midway games and also Moe it was like 2005 or so (there should be a vid of Moe doing them on his personal cabinet), and they had knowledge about the "standing and punching while blocking" now called glitch jabs.

In fact, Lex and I called them "piano block" or something. Its not something that the internet players discovered or invented, yet popularized. And also as every OG here can see, butthurt/crymoar/askforbuffs etc has popularized as well instead of ADAPTATION. Hell even in other countries like Dominican Republic they ALWAYS played like that, abusing the GJ.

What REALLY damaged (and keep damaging) this is the fact that emulating the game, you can map MULTIPLE inputs to a same button and have like one LP button that has BACK mapped to it, and you then have a running unthrowable foe doing chip at you and so on.

yeah i hate button mapping, even on new games. i miss when games were on cabinet and everyone had to use the same controller/buttons and there was no button mapping. its like they always have to find a way to make games easier for noobs and scrubs. i hate that.

Last edited:

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
We will be running UMK3:TE casuals all weekend at NEC and if on Sunday there is interest we will squeeze a tournament in for it. I will try to have two setups but I can't promise anything. A couple of my sticks need tuneups and it's just more stuff to bring.
Awesome to hear. I hope MK3 makes a resurgence over the next few years. For a long time, I wasn't a huge fan of the game, but I see how great it is now. Your 2014 set against LI Joe at ECT 2014 is still one of my favorites.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Don't u guys think the disable timer was enough to make it "not stupid"?
It sort of made it hard to time any kind of useful rhythm, we'll see how this works without the disable time and with different rules for height.

Awesome to hear. I hope MK3 makes a resurgence over the next few years. For a long time, I wasn't a huge fan of the game, but I see how great it is now. Your 2014 set against LI Joe at ECT 2014 is still one of my favorites.
That was a lot of fun and the crowd really enjoyed it. A lot of people like our 2010 set from Road to Evo, which was in front of a small crowd but they really enjoyed it as well. For a while, if you searched for umk3 on youtube it was the first match, now it's like #3.

It sort of made it hard to time any kind of useful rhythm, we'll see how this works without the disable time and with different rules for height.

That was a lot of fun and the crowd really enjoyed it. A lot of people like our 2010 set from Road to Evo, which was in front of a small crowd but they really enjoyed it as well. For a while, if you searched for umk3 on youtube it was the first match, now it's like #3.
That 2010 match is what got me back into umk.

If you google umk3 and go to videos, a set me, @Drakonian @nwo and @NobilityV3 played is #7 from top

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
@tehdrewsus I wanted to play with you when you were posting about being on but I've been so busy. Maybe we can play sometime. I'll send you a PM when I will be available soon.

This definitely needs some actual online beta testing... and it should be recorded for people to see and if anything weird happens, we have video of it. Who cares about "exposing" anyone, just play damn it!

thx for the release!
bug: you can re-morph after a spear with shang tsung when you morph into scorpion,not with smoke..no possible on last revision!

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
What's the expected behavior for that? Also, that damage protection Spear
Ok, so @justfr@me that is normal behavior because the timer for Shang to morphback wore off when the Spear hit. This is how it is supposed to work. If you morphed into Scorpion and did a spear, you would not morph back. No bug here.

As for the DP @tehdrewsus, that is caused from the freeze being the second hit, not the spear. There is no DP in that combo from the spear being the first hit, so you could morph into Sheeva and get 52%.