What's new

Guide The Destroyer of Worlds. Doomsday Guide.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
malakies lei.
Nai kai mena mou fainetai parakseno. De mou xei tixei pote auto. An buffareis arketa grigora ta commands enw eisai hdh ston aera kata ti diarkeia tou body slam de nomizw na mporei na ksefigei kanenas vasika.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
This might be old, given how Clash in general messes up with traits. I just noticed DD's cooldown resets after a Clash.

For instance, 10 seconds (out of 15) of cooldown have elapsed when either you or your opponent start a Clash. After the Clash the cooldown instead of resuming where it left (10 seconds) resets, making you wait effectively 25 seconds before you can get to use your trait again.

Characters like Green Latern don't care about this because of his incredibly short cooldown; waiting 4 extra seconds is nothing. But for Doomsday this is a big handicap.

colt

volkmair

Noob
Can you explain? I'm unfamiliar with the 2 in 1 update.
They changed it so you could do the background interactable bounce with the 1+2 shortcut in combos, which means if you are too fast with combos using 1 and 2 you will get the interactable as the game will count a 1 and 2 within a certain amount of frames as 1+2.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Does anyone else feel you've hit a wall with Doomsday?

I was aware with time people would start discovering Doomsday weaknesses and start taking advantage of this game's backdashing mechanic. However, Doomsday's lack of diversity in terms of tools leaves hardly any room for improvement.

Footsies? D+1, D+3, Throw and Venom are the only viable ones, everything else is slow or short ranged.
Pressure? You can backdash out of D+1 xx Anything, 1 1 2, 1 2 3 and even out of MB Venom. 3 3 on block midscreen grants nothing.
Supernova? Only useful occasionally within sweep range to catch the opponent off guard.
MB Air Venom? The second hit needs to be an overhead for cross up setups. The move is heavily punishable on both block and whiff.
MB Earth Shake? Too slow to allow for a mix up with regular Earth Shake.
Trait? It needs to have the cooldown reduced to 12 seconds and its duration increased to 6 seconds. With the wake up system buff it has become more important to have his Trait available.

My other question is: Has anyone discovered any new tech with him?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME

I was aware with time people would start discovering Doomsday weaknesses and start taking advantage of this game's backdashing mechanic. However, Doomsday's lack of diversity in terms of tools leaves hardly any room for improvement.

Footsies? D+1, D+3, Throw and Venom are the only viable ones, everything else is slow or short ranged.
Pressure? You can backdash out of D+1 xx Anything, 1 1 2, 1 2 3 and even out of MB Venom. 3 3 on block midscreen grants nothing.
Supernova? Only useful occasionally within sweep range to catch the opponent off guard.
MB Air Venom? The second hit needs to be an overhead for cross up setups. The move is heavily punishable on both block and whiff.
Trait? It needs to have the cooldown reduced to 12 seconds and its duration increased to 6 seconds. With the wake up system buff it has become more important to have his Trait available.

Nope :(.
I feel just the same as you, man. There's physically only so much he can do.

Yeah this character is kind of ass vs. anyone that knows how to backdash. If you don't know the MU doomsday blows people up harder than anyone else in the game, but if you know it doomsday is super limited in most relevant matchups. This character needs a trait buff and for b1 to be 15 frames before he can even be upper mid tier

I've hit the wall with this character a month ago and I've been trying to figure out logically how I can add wrinkles to my gameplay to make doomsday harder to fight/read... but it always comes back to just doing ex shoulder over and over until they're in the corner and hopefully you can lock them down long enough to do significant damage. He just doesn't have the tools.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Yeah this character is kind of ass vs. anyone that knows how to backdash. If you don't know the MU doomsday blows people up harder than anyone else in the game, but if you know it doomsday is super limited in most relevant matchups. This character needs a trait buff and for b1 to be 15 frames before he can even be upper mid tier

I've hit the wall with this character a month ago and I've been trying to figure out logically how I can add wrinkles to my gameplay to make doomsday harder to fight/read... but it always comes back to just doing ex shoulder over and over until they're in the corner and hopefully you can lock them down long enough to do significant damage. He just doesn't have the tools.

^^^ Unfortunately, I feel exactly the same, especially after getting Scorpion.
It just feels like I'm making it an uphill battle on myself.

Right. I see absolutely zero point in playing doomsday when scorpion is in the game. Scorpion can get in from anywhere on the screen and be at even more advantage than doomsday, more often than doomsday, for the same cost as doomsday. Doomsday uses ex shoulder to get through fireballs/whiffed footsie moves, and gets to eat damage and knock the opponent down for a bar, while scorpion gets to take no damage and launch for combo into reset... scorpion completely invalidates doomsday. His get in for free tool is better, his pressure is better, his jump 3 is better than splash...... there is no point in this character anymore lol. DD mains ought to just play scorpion instead, only thing doomsday does better is oki, but you need to guess right on oki 3 times to get the damage scorpion gets off of 1 correct read.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Right. I see absolutely zero point in playing doomsday when scorpion is in the game. Scorpion can get in from anywhere on the screen and be at even more advantage than doomsday, more often than doomsday, for the same cost as doomsday. Doomsday uses ex shoulder to get through fireballs/whiffed footsie moves, and gets to eat damage and knock the opponent down for a bar, while scorpion gets to take no damage and launch for combo into reset... scorpion completely invalidates doomsday. His get in for free tool is better, his pressure is better, his jump 3 is better than splash...... there is no point in this character anymore lol. DD mains ought to just play scorpion instead, only thing doomsday does better is oki, but you need to guess right on oki 3 times to get the damage scorpion gets off of 1 correct read.

Dammit, the truth hurts :(.

It was that fucking containment suit, man, it cursed him...

VOR

Noob

I tend to agree. The only new things I've been trying do is more d1 venom, b3, and modifying my jumpins. D1 venom has less recovery on hit so it seems like you are able to get in quicker on the oki. If it's blocked and you have meter, the opponent will hesitate to punish it, since you could meter burn it, plus it will punish a backdash. Trying to use more j3 d1 venom or earthshake. Pretty limited though.

I think the 1.04 patch was detrimental to DD's style of play with meaty mixups and oki pressure, plus his wakeups were above average, but now they have been equalled out across the characters more. There have been buff suggestions from various people and I am kinda thinking that the character is missing something. Everyone cried about this character being OP in the beginning, but I think anyone in their right mind knows that he is far from the high tier characters with a far better neutral game and damage output.

I hope that this character can remain a strong contender, but it's not looking too great the way things are going. DAMN YOU CONTAINMENT SUIT, DOOMSDAY SHOULD NOT BE CONTAINED!!!!!

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
DD went from being brain dead spamming ES's and body splashes to " oh wait i have to THINK my next move in order to surprise my opponent" and i fully support that tbh with you guys. The buffs i would give him would be standing 2 not whiffing after a blocked body splash (its a fucking mid hit ffs...) to allow 2, 2, 1+3 or 2, 2, ES mix ups, standing 2 being a bit faster and a buff trait ( i really cant believe why they further nerfed his trait while Aquaman's trait, which is a lot more powerful, remained virtually the same.) OR there is simply something we DD mainers do not see, which i find highly doubtful.

Other buffs i would also recommend: MB AS being able to switch sides, like Bane's back breaker.

EX ES being a bit faster.

Standing 3 to MB ES giving a full combo against all characters.

B1 being at +10f on block, like it was in the vanilla version of the game. It would really help his mix up game and throw game.

A good use for his B231 string, for example B2 being faster ( i have tested it against down pokes and sometimes i was able to beat them, but its veeery inconsistent.)

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
DD went from being brain dead spamming ES's and body splashes to " oh wait i have to THINK my next move in order to surprise my opponent" and i fully support that tbh with you guys.
I never used Doomsday that way. However, in every fighting game we reach a point where our current strategy is no longer as effective as it used to be. Then, the solution is to hit the lab to explore the rest of your character's tools to come up with new strategies, setups, etc.

The problem is, like it has been pointed out, the rest of Doomsday's tools are virtually useless: they are slow, short ranged, and/or unsafe. We're left to work with the same tools we were already using, leaving no room for further innovation.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I never used Doomsday that way. However, in every fighting game we reach a point where our current strategy is no longer as effective as it used to be. Then, the solution is to hit the lab to explore the rest of your character's tools to come up with new strategies, setups, etc.

The problem is, like it has been pointed out, the rest of Doomsday's tools are virtually useless: they are slow, short ranged, and/or unsafe. We're left to work with the same tools we were already using, leaving no room for further innovation.
Never said you did. I just pointed out what people were saying about DD the first month the game was released. DD has probably the most range in his normals and specials (with some exceptions ofc) in the entire game. Yeah he is a bit slow but the range of his attacks ( his d1 and d3 for example) compensate for his lack of speed. If he was faster he would be godlike.

VOR

Noob
There are characters with equal range and who are going to get more damage for that read, plus good zoning or anti zoning tools, a good vortex etc. DD has some ok tools, but I think some people including myself, are refraining from up-playing his abilities and moving onto greener pastures. If he were faster, he would rightfully be a much better rushdown character and back in the top 10-12.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
There are characters with equal range and who are going to get more damage for that read, plus good zoning or anti zoning tools, a good vortex etc. DD has some ok tools, but I think some people including myself, are refraining from up-playing his abilities and moving onto greener pastures. If he were faster, he would rightfully be a much better rushdown character and back in the top 10-12.
You really think he is not top 10 anymore ? If so i really dont know what to say.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
doomsday not top 10.

LOL

VOR

Noob
You guys are entitled to your opinion, but dd is definitely not top 10. Cage comparisons are irrelevant, because he existed in a completely different game and had way more useful frame advantage and damage into a standing reset. MK9 also didn't have backdash invincibilty, and you can backdash out of dd's damaging options. d1, d3, and mb venom only go so far in this game against characters that have way more useful options.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
You guys are entitled to your opinion, but dd is definitely not top 10. Cage comparisons are irrelevant, because he existed in a completely different game and had way more useful frame advantage and damage into a standing reset. MK9 also didn't have backdash invincibilty, and you can backdash out of dd's damaging options. d1, d3, and mb venom only go so far in this game against characters that have way more useful options.
When you back dash you cannot block. DD player can read that and venom. After two venoms, you are cornered. If you get cornered against DD, its really hard to get off, especially if he has trait available as well. You will have to push block or jump. Push block wont get you out of the corner and if you jump you ll get blown up. DD has more frame traps AND better mix ups than Cage. DD's normals have the longest range in the game after Aquaman and CW. In the future DD will be played at the highest lvl if the player who controls him has extensive MU exp against his opponents and ofc knows DD at the highest lvl. Just because DD became harder to play with, doesnt mean he is automatically not top 10 material in the right hands. He has the tools to win against the entire cast and his bad MU's arent that bad ( most consist of minor 6 - 4's which can be easily won. )

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
Also mobility goes a long way for this kind of game. With the amount of horizontal and vertical movement that he has it's pretty easy to pick which spot you want to dash forward in