What's new

Scorpion Matchup Discussion Thread

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
reo made thread about punishing that divekick, a good spaced dive kick cant be punished with spear. so if you play a csb that knows what hes doing youre in big trouble
This is true. The lower the dive kick hits the less he has to drop which means less recovery. Some characters can punish his dive kick no matter what, but Scorpion has to pay attention to the spacing.

anybody experience on the jax matchup? its really hard for me to win against jax since the patch. all I do in this matchup is run away from him and d4 him if he gets close. try to catch him with ex spear on his projectile and jumpkick into grabs, but thats all I got for now.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
I had a ton of matches with CD Jr at NEC and I only won the last one. (Though many were very close)

Abuse D4 and D1 cancelled into takedown until they block low enough for you to B2 them.
D4 is Jax's worst enemy.

Don't jump in on him often (this is pretty much a rule against all top players, and not just the ones playing Jax) and try to abuse hellfire because Jax players tend to jump rarely...

I had a ton of matches with CD Jr at NEC and I only won the last one. (Though many were very close)

Abuse D4 and D1 cancelled into takedown until they block low enough for you to B2 them.
D4 is Jax's worst enemy.

Don't jump in on him often (this is pretty much a rule against all top players, and not just the ones playing Jax) and try to abuse hellfire because Jax players tend to jump rarely...
thanks, but wouldnt his groundpound beat scorpions hellfire with ease?

Slips

thanks, but wouldnt his groundpound beat scorpions hellfire with ease?
I don't see how. Hellfire is twice as fast and if it trades I doubt Jax would have enough time to capitolize. He might be able to cancel into a dash and then jump, but not on reaction, so then you can just start aa spearing him.

But Pimp is right, d4 will be your best friend against Jax. Its technically just as good as Mileena's according to frame data. Just as fast, just as much reach, strange distortion of their hitbox...except Scorp's doesn't give the advantage, which might be considered broke really for the tools Scorp has.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Scorpion's d4 doesn't have as much reach as Mileena's, but he's getting there...which is fine since IMHO Scorpion cancelling his D4 into Takedown makes up for the slight difference in range.

Mileena's D4 can hit the opponent at the very start of the match if the opponent doesn't back up, but Scorpion's D4 can't.

I don't see how. Hellfire is twice as fast and if it trades I doubt Jax would have enough time to capitolize. He might be able to cancel into a dash and then jump, but not on reaction, so then you can just start aa spearing him.

But Pimp is right, d4 will be your best friend against Jax. Its technically just as good as Mileena's according to frame data. Just as fast, just as much reach, strange distortion of their hitbox...except Scorp's doesn't give the advantage, which might be considered broke really for the tools Scorp has.
yeahh ofcourse, I was thinking about the groundpound cancel but hellfire would still catch him in this case

Scorpion's d4 doesn't have as much reach as Mileena's, but he's getting there...which is fine since IMHO Scorpion cancelling his D4 into Takedown makes up for the slight difference in range.

Mileena's D4 can hit the opponent at the very start of the match if the opponent doesn't back up, but Scorpion's D4 can't.
Hmm, yes I always thought postpatch we should spam that takedown for the mixups. thats what I like about scorpion, youre never safe against this guy, no matter where you are, hellfire will catch you fullscreen, while if you jump from fullscreen the teleport will catch you.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
nice to see that Scorpion is having more attention and a little more credit nowadays, as valueable character, than before when the demo/game came out .... his vortex is cool, and overall, he is pretty dangerous if used correctly.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Cant you punish CSZ's divekicks with F4 to spear ?

Nvm checked the frame data of those two moves.

Vs Cyber Sub - I do not feel confident in this match up with scorpion. I was playing with j360 recently and it was really tough to get anything going. His dive kick works really well against scorpion and it makes it extremely hard to get good spacing. Hellfire is really risky as well as trying to AA spear. As far as I know none of scorpions AA options work besides a risky ass spear and that's only if the cyber sub player whiffs in front of you. I'm not sure about meeting him in the air but I think the dive kick beats air to air moves clean. From what I know you can punish well placed dive kicks with ex hellfire but that doesn't seem like much considering you have to burn meter for 8%. I would take block pressure over that any day but he recovers too fast to get my 1's going. Up close scorpion can get some good pressure going but dive kick, d3 and parry are always an option for sub which will put the match right back in his favor. I've only played the match a few times but it seemed pretty rough.
CSZ's dive kick can be punished with spear or b2 every time depending on how far he lands. This move is critical for him and the player cant use it liberally or much at all actually. I vote 6/4 Scorpion.

reo made thread about punishing that divekick, a good spaced dive kick cant be punished with spear. so if you play a csb that knows what hes doing youre in big trouble
Even if he dive kicked Scorpion's blocked toe he can still be punished with b2.

Im not sure but i think scorpion vs sub is 6-4 in scorpion favor...because scorpion own iceball whit teleport and ex spear,and sub zero clone are punished by demon fire

Im not sure but i think scorpion vs sub is 6-4 in scorpion favor...because scorpion own iceball whit teleport and ex spear,and sub zero clone are punished by demon fire
teleport is also very slow, when you throw hellfire and sub is behind the clown, he can throw an iceball . both characters have to be very careful, its a 5-5. nrs must have designed it this way. it looks like its a 6-4 because scorpion is simply the better character

teleport is also very slow, when you throw hellfire and sub is behind the clown, he can throw an iceball . both characters have to be very careful, its a 5-5. nrs must have designed it this way. it looks like its a 6-4 because scorpion is simply the better character
I think it's 6-4 cause Sub Zero has to come to Scorpion and that's not really good odds. The slide can be punished and jumping is the worst option so he mostly has to stay on the ground and get burned, or possibly crossed up or speared. SZ's d4 may stop a jip sometimes but it's only d4 so big deal.

Sub Zero players who like to keep an ice clone around all the time are predictable and can be speared when they spawn one. Shut that strategy down and their options become even more limited cause now a Scorpion player can be more aggressive and Sub Zero loses in the mix up arena.

I think it's 6-4 cause Sub Zero has to come to Scorpion and that's not really good odds. The slide can be punished and jumping is the worst option so he mostly has to stay on the ground and get burned, or possibly crossed up or speared. SZ's d4 may stop a jip sometimes but it's only d4 so big deal.

Sub Zero players who like to keep an ice clone around all the time are predictable and can be speared when they spawn one. Shut that strategy down and their options become even more limited cause now a Scorpion player can be more aggressive and Sub Zero loses in the mix up arena.
yes, but subzero can stand next besides his clone if you plan on throwing hellfires, he can counter with freeze. and after a succesful d4 I think het gets a free242 blockstring against scorpion. Its a matchup subzero players have to play often to get better at. I personally don't like the matchup because you need to be very patient, that is why I always go with my sec. which is smoke. and smoke is pretty bad for sub imo.
It is pretty much in scorpions favor but I dont think it is accurate to call it a 6-4 right away.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Sub vs Scorp is 5 - 5 IMO. Both want to get close, both have great tools inside and both don't want to jump at each other lol. Scorps only long range tool is hellfire (EX spear also but a good sub isn't really going to carelessly throw out ice balls) which is good to harass him but one good jump and you're in trouble. AA spear works good in that situation but it all depends on who made the right move. I think it's probably one of the most even matches in the game.

Also up close subs d+4 goes under pretty much every good normal scorpion has and leads to free pressure on hit. They both have all the tools to fight each other.

Slips

I think its 5-5 yea. Neither one can really zone the other too well. All of their special moves are risky to use against eachother, so it'll come down to who has better footsies. Scorp has vortex and sub has corner trap. Whoever gets their gimmick going best will win.

Sub vs Scorp is 5 - 5 IMO. Both want to get close, both have great tools inside and both don't want to jump at each other lol. Scorps only long range tool is hellfire (EX spear also but a good sub isn't really going to carelessly throw out ice balls) which is good to harass him but one good jump and you're in trouble. AA spear works good in that situation but it all depends on who made the right move. I think it's probably one of the most even matches in the game.

Also up close subs d+4 goes under pretty much every good normal scorpion has and leads to free pressure on hit. They both have all the tools to fight each other.
I would definitely not try aa spear in this matchup, subzero can cancel jump with ice clones and we all know who will recover faster...

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I would definitely not try aa spear in this matchup, subzero can cancel jump with ice clones and we all know who will recover faster...
I thought that at first too but air clone doesn't really help him avoid the spear all that well depending on how far into the jump the spear is thrown. If up close it makes no sense to aa spear because you can just normal AA.

MKK hanzo

Im begginning to main Scorp, and Im having trouble in the Sindel matchup. Either her Keepaway Air Fireball or when she is up close is a 50/50 (for me) in either throw or cartwheel kick. Any advice?