What's new

Scorpion Matchup Discussion Thread

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
So do you think Scorp could be the worst character in the game? I mean, that's eight bad-horrible matchups.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
No I wouldn't call him the worst in the game but he is a bottom 10 character. If anything a lot of people haven't posted up realistic match up charts of their characters either.

Finding that I'm having a particularly hard time with Mileena matchup. Her teleport / sai combo stuffs any sort of punish I try. Her low game dominates Scorpions. Any tips?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Finding that I'm having a particularly hard time with Mileena matchup. Her teleport / sai combo stuffs any sort of punish I try. Her low game dominates Scorpions. Any tips?
Its tough but you can crouch block the second hit of the enhanced tele kick and punish with d1~ teleport after she throws the sais. its a really hard match imo. Pretty much need to make her come to you and force a mistake and punish as hard as possible. Fml I hate that bitch.
Sent from Cyberdyne Systems

Thanks for the hint, didn't know about the d1 - tele punish. However I find she can pressure with no risk simply by spamming sais and pushing in with d3 or 4, whatever gives her that daddy long leg.

Vagrant

Noob
Guys Kevo's Kabal has been giving my Scorpion some very aggressive prostate exams....

Tips on this matchup PLEASE?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Kevo's got a really weird style I can't get a read on its really effective. He blows me up too. I can give no input on how to beat him lol.

Scoot Magee

Spear actually counters Kabals zoning pretty well, but his mixup game is super hard to compete with up close.
Yeah kabal doesn't need to zone in this match at all, all it does is give scorpion a better chance to win. Like other characters, if you just stay in scorpions face you win, he can't really do anything.

Yeah kabal doesn't need to zone in this match at all, all it does is give scorpion a better chance to win. Like other characters, if you just stay in scorpions face you win, he can't really do anything.
I will say up close it is very hard for scorp without a doubt, but these are the only characters that a scorp should seriously fear up close in my opinion: cage, jax, sub, Lao, kabal, and Liu Kang. I would add Cyrax but all the cast fear him if he lands a net, also scarlet kills everyone if she gets her block strings going correctly. To keep ppl away, I try to use b2 because ppl like walking up then ducking usually, and off they stand I will just d4 or f4 them because I am sure they will adjust to me using the back 2. Mastering the instant tele will be a real key for scorpions moving forward, hopefully a scorpion will because that would make him so much more dangerous.

Scoot Magee

Kitana vs scorpion is bullshit. Scorpion is not at an advantage in any position on the screen unless he has you in a vortex, good luck starting it though. She has fast normals that stuff any b2/f4 attempts from max range so footsies are terrible against her. Hellfire is practically useless because of air fan which you have to guess to punish, if you fuck up (it's easy to bait armor spears and teleports) you lose 50%. She controls the air, controls the ground, has a great AA game and a fast long range d1 to stop pressure.

This amtch is worse than JC and Sonya imo. Scorpion has tools against those characters and can somewhat control the pace at times. Against kitana you are fucked when the match starts unless you land some lucky random shit and manage to stay directly on top of her the entire match.

Just my opinion on the match. I'd like to hear how Slips plays the match against 16bit. I just feel if the kitana player plays her strengths (range and ect.) and stays outside of scorpions b2/f4 range he can't win.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I don't think its worse than JC or Sonya. At least with Kitana you can relax a little if she gets in. And its not like she can zone that hard either. Don't try and punish her for doing fans. A good Kitana isn't going to machine gun them so don't try to be psychic throwing out tele's. Just ignore them unless she falls into an obvious pattern with them.

The game is then primarily played at footsie range where she definitely wins, but you have options. d4 is your best friend. It can combat with her 21 and d1 pretty well. Back her into the corner where she has nowhere to run . Scorp has one of the better punishers in the game for her doing ass so she has to fight. Once you get Kitana trying to punish you for doing d4's then that's where you can start making reads and start taking more risks with f4, b2, jumps and hellfire depending on how she's dealing with d4.

She controls the match. You can't jump and she has superior footsies tools to keep you out so its easy to get frustrated and start doing random jumps, spears, tele's and hellfires. But her weakness is not being able to do damage to someone who just blocks. As frustrating as it is to try and get in on that bitch, its almost as frustrating for her to know she can't do any damage without you doing something stupid. If the only thing you give her is good spacing, d4's and blocking, she might blink first on doing something stupid before you do.

Scoot Magee

Personally I always thought it was 7-3 or at least 6/4 jax. Jax not having air mobility is a plus because hellfire/aa game is more useful but if you try to do one mid range hellfire you run the risk of eating a dash punch and getting fucked in the corner with random advantage strings.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I did try to break down the properties of Scorpion's instant tele in a previous thread, but it must've got wiped when TYM went down, it's more to do with the vicinity between his feet and the ground than the input itself, but to do it straight up while playing footsies, yeah I'd say it's like a 6-7 frame window.

That's Scorp in a nutshell, he's not THAT bad, but when you realize how hard you're working with him and look at what you're getting back in return compared to how Skarlet players are rewarded for that kind of execution, it's very discouraging.

Pretty sure this will never happen. Even using a hitbox, I don't see how anyone could consistently land a just frame teleport every time. All it takes is one miss, and you're going to eat at least 30-40% damage.
oh it is possible, just like ppl didn't think kabal could get any better, looked what happened haha. It isn't easy though, but I could do it if I wanted to maybe. Either way, he still needs good pokes.

Scoot Magee

You get instant air teleport properties if you do it at the end of the jump instead of trying to do it at the start and it's a lot easier. You might telegraph that you're going to teleport by jumping but you can always land and hellfire if they think you're going to do it. It's helped me a lot in some matchups and it's consistent.

oh it is possible, just like ppl didn't think kabal could get any better, looked what happened haha. It isn't easy though, but I could do it if I wanted to maybe. Either way, he still needs good pokes.

That's what I used to think. Then reality crushed my dreams.

If I see a video of someone landing like 20 in a row (going up that is, not doing it just before you land), then I'll be convinced.

The I've gotten in a row was like 3 or so back to back. I can do it with a high success rate, but still don't consider it worth the risk in competitive play.

I've never used a hitbox though, so I have no idea how much higher success rates would be with that, if any.

Even when it does work though. I'm pretty sure you can still be poked/uppercutted out of it if the opponent is ready for it.

I can do it on the left side of the screen pretty consistently. When you have little to no health its worth going for. I've made some really fucked up comebacks doing it.
I really wish they gave it a slightly bigger window, even if it was just a couple frames. Scorpion has enough trouble getting in as it is with his almost non-existent footsies, and this would go a long way towards solving that problem. It can still be punished if the opponent reads it anyway so I don't even think people would cry about it.

Scoot Magee

Instant air teleport would be a lot easier if the game didn't have a weird dead zone on the up input (I'm not sure if other inputs have it). If you tap up and release it quickly nothing will happen. If this wasn't the case it would probably be a lot easier to execute the teleport motion the instant you leave the ground. Instead you have to delay the motion by like a frame or 2 which makes it really hard.

ryublaze

Noob
I didn't know how I was doing it a long time ago but in the Raiden matchup whenever I would dash forward into 1,1,1 pressure and if he did a teleport it would auto-correct and I would get a spear lol.