What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Alright f423 is more minus on block but it somehow gives more pushback then b143 which puts it slightly out of throw range midscreen i believe. I wouldn't be so bold to d1 after it though unless I was desperate. Can't do any testing since I'm not home. All I want for scorpion is some slightly better frame data that's it. I looked at the frames in f423 and it seems it's way easier to hitconfirm with then say b14. I just don't really use it as much since bad frame data scorpion
Scorpion does not need better frame data even slightly. His f3 staggers are destructive enough as is, his buttons generally are great, and teleport is the final word in neutral control. If anything he should be made more unsafe on a couple strings.

Bliss

Noob
Alright f423 is more minus on block but it somehow gives more pushback then b143 which puts it slightly out of throw range midscreen i believe. I wouldn't be so bold to d1 after it though unless I was desperate. Can't do any testing since I'm not home. All I want for scorpion is some slightly better frame data that's it. I looked at the frames in f423 and it seems it's way easier to hitconfirm with then say b14. I just don't really use it as much since bad frame data scorpion
Agreed.

Matix218

Get over here!
Yo. Been using Scorpion vs. the CPU (since I haven't played online yet).

Been doing: F4, 2, 3 into EX teleport into 4 into EX Spear into 212 for the fatal blow shit around 34% with DOT. Is this Reborn's staple BNB? Of course without the fatal blow you'd want to end with F4, 2, 3 right?

I know F3 is one of his best moves, only -2 on block and a good amount + on hit for the mix-ups.

I don't know if I've been doing this shit right.

I know 2, 1 is good + on hit too.

Doesn't F4, 2, 3 have a gap in it?

Is Scorpion as simple as he seems?
For reborn staple 2 bar bnb i use starter (11, 21, b14, f42), ex teleport, jump kick~ex teleport, f3~spear.

For 1 bar i use starter, ex teleport, f3, 11~spear (or 112 for a bit less dmg but more plus frames for oki). You can also end in the 212 after any ex spear for the krushing blow as you said.

21 is like plus 19 on hit. I would use b14 more than f42 because it is a ranged mid you can learn to confirm into 3 on block (totally safe) or ex teleport on hit.

F34 is great also.

For me scorp has great tick throw mixups, solid mids, and decent damage. With reborn you can mix stuff up with teleport cancels as well. In short, yes, he is a pretty simple character overall.

Scorpion does not need better frame data even slightly. His f3 staggers are destructive enough as is, his buttons generally are great, and teleport is the final word in neutral control. If anything he should be made more unsafe on a couple strings.
Made more unsafe? You're kidding me. While people like gerras, erron, sonya, jaqui, baraka get to walk away with all the frames in the world.

Unfortunately F423 has ZERO push back and 7F jab can punish it for full combo. Not easy to find that frame though.
Plus F42 has huge gap and flawless block punish can come - so it is punishable enough to discourage players using it (nowadays probably does not matter as flawless block punish and precise punish are) - I do not do it either despite the fact that I know about it.

B143 is THE safe footsie string.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I really hate playing against Scorpion, its such a chore! What do you recommend I try against him? I can blow up his teleport just fine, its just his up close blockstrings (aside from 212) are really safe, and F34 is safe too, and his staggers are INSANE. Also DF4 is impossible to punish of you don’t have a fast advancing move.

f423 used to have a gap in between in the beta, but doesn't anymore. Or at least 7 frame jabs can't interrupt between f42 anymore, haven't tested this vs. Sub Zero.
Online vs. 7 frame jabs, the 3 in that string is almost safe.

I guess a way to make this string viable is to play Reborn and hellport cancel on block. Should also beat flawless block retaliation, haven't labbed it though.

Unfortunately F423 has ZERO push back and 7F jab can punish it for full combo. Not easy to find that frame though.
Plus F42 has huge gap and flawless block punish can come - so it is punishable enough to discourage players using it (nowadays probably does not matter as flawless block punish and precise punish are) - I do not do it either despite the fact that I know about it.

B143 is THE safe footsie string.
Yeah that's why i mentioned it puts you out of throw range. Probably won't save you from anything else. B143 still puts you in throw range maybe unless you space it super properly. Not a lot of people are flawless gaps on reaction so it's not that big of a deal

And @ you motherfuckers suggesting worse frames for Scorpion:
Why?

You know I get the idea of a string being unsafe if it has an overhead and a low and either of these options either pops up or is special cancelable.

Not a single one of Scorpion's strings has a mixup though. You block everything by just asking yourself "Have I blocked b1?"- Block low! And if you've blocked anything else just block high.
Wow you've figured out Scorpion's strings which are only good for whiff punishment or landing a counterhit, in which case, why are they unsafe again?

I really hate playing against Scorpion, its such a chore! What do you recommend I try against him? I can blow up his teleport just fine, its just his up close blockstrings (aside from 212) are really safe, and F34 is safe too, and his staggers are INSANE. Also DF4 is impossible to punish of you don’t have a fast advancing move.
What character do you play?

Yeah that's why i mentioned it puts you out of throw range. Probably won't save you from anything else. B143 still puts you in throw range maybe unless you space it super properly. Not a lot of people are flawless gaps on reaction so it's not that big of a deal
I don't understand. Zero pusback and up close is out of throw range? Do I miss something?

I labbed throw reversals and I got weird results but I do not know the reason lol.

f423 used to have a gap in between in the beta, but doesn't anymore. Or at least 7 frame jabs can't interrupt between f42 anymore, haven't tested this vs. Sub Zero.
Online vs. 7 frame jabs, the 3 in that string is almost safe.

I guess a way to make this string viable is to play Reborn and hellport cancel on block. Should also beat flawless block retaliation, haven't labbed it though.
Just do your lab work and you will realize that F42 into anything is fake if the opponent does the flawless block counter. :)
Not now (weeks-months later) and maybe not against 90% of the players (who does not care about FB) though lol.

Until that everything is good. And the first thing I was happy about Reborn is the usage of F42xx away tele lol. I do not really use that string with SR but I am just silly as nobody punishes it and most cases it hits lol - opponent usually try to walk away from B1 range.
I just do not want to get used to the "fake" things but probably it should be considered as a risk (high risk high reward) - I am not a good risk taker though.

Last edited:
I don't understand. Zero pusback and up close is out of throw range? Do I miss something?

I labbed throw reversals and I got weird results but I do not know the reason lol.
I don't know. When I last tested it in training f423 on block put me at a range where I couldn't immediately be thrown midscreen. Where as Everytime I've done b143 on block it puts me in throw range.

I don't know. When I last tested it in training f423 on block put me at a range where I couldn't immediately be thrown midscreen. Where as Everytime I've done b143 on block it puts me in throw range.
Maybe if the last hit is blocked high it has that extra pushback.

Sonya and Kitana. I have more trouble playing as Sonya against him though.
Play Sonya strength: 50/50. :)
You probably will not be able to zone against Scorpion.

If you are beaten in neutral that's it.

You had problem with 212, F34 : learn flawless block. Both can be punished.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Made more unsafe? You're kidding me. While people like gerras, erron, sonya, jaqui, baraka get to walk away with all the frames in the world.
Scorpion has the best special move in the game, bar none, in addition to his above average frames. Talking about other characters' tools does nothing to change Scorpion or where he stands right now. I'm not convinced he needs more than minor changes, but certainly no buffs to his frames.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
You definitely can make a read on the TP cancel and punish it. I also think there’s a way to look at the defensive meter to see it being used and then know a cancel is coming. But I haven’t tested it yet.

This was an awesome comeback, but go to 29 seconds to see me reading and reacting to the TP cancel. It definitely has to be a read. Wasn’t an optimal combo punish though, just a safe one. Really wanted the comeback and didn’t want a dropped combo or execution error to be the reason I didn’t.

Scorpion has the best special move in the game, bar none, in addition to his above average frames. Talking about other characters' tools does nothing to change Scorpion or where he stands right now. I'm not convinced he needs more than minor changes, but certainly no buffs to his frames.

I don't get why he's considered brain dead though when Liu Kang's F4 is 9 frames. It's the only thing he need.

Scorpion does not really needs a nerf at all. Right now I am mailing reborn. I just love how his b4 works and I've never mained Scorpion before.

I would be fine with the mb teleport on block removed though. It's pretty fair when no other character can mb on block.

OutworldKeith

Premium
Premium Supporter
Yo. Been using Scorpion vs. the CPU (since I haven't played online yet).

Been doing: F4, 2, 3 into EX teleport into 4 into EX Spear into 212 for the fatal blow shit around 34% with DOT. Is this Reborn's staple BNB? Of course without the fatal blow you'd want to end with F4, 2, 3 right?

I know F3 is one of his best moves, only -2 on block and a good amount + on hit for the mix-ups.

I don't know if I've been doing this shit right.

I know 2, 1 is good + on hit too.

Doesn't F4, 2, 3 have a gap in it?

Is Scorpion as simple as he seems?
I’m sure everyone has answered your questions by now lol.

His best tools are f3, b1, b2, all his low pokes are good.
I don't get why he's considered brain dead though when Liu Kang's F4 is 9 frames. It's the only thing he need.

Scorpion does not really needs a nerf at all. Right now I am mailing reborn. I just love how his b4 works and I've never mained Scorpion before.

I would be fine with the mb teleport on block removed though. It's pretty fair when no other character can mb on block.
He’s considered brain dead because the teleport cancel allows him to be a jumping bean for free. Not to mention his damage is good lol.

He’s considered brain dead because the teleport cancel allows him to be a jumping bean for free. Not to mention his damage is good lol.

His d3 can be punished on whiff white easily actually :/

Bliss

Noob

What's the use in his B2.

And B1 is just a long mid normal right? For whiff punishing.

Also for some reason reason I've been dropping amp teleport f3 11 quite a bit lately and I wasn't before. Do most of you dash after amp tele or just slightly walk?

Also for some reason reason I've been dropping amp teleport f3 11 quite a bit lately and I wasn't before. Do most of you dash after amp tele or just slightly walk?
Not even walk is needed after amp tele f3, 11. 11 has pretty good range it will connect without walk (if the timing is okay).
However dash after F3 can not hurt but I think the faster F3 is more important than the dash).

Last edited:

You mean like Kano, D'Vorah and Baraka?

You can do it too early where the 2 drops. Gotta let them fall a bit to Scorp's chest height.

Last edited:
I think there is a reasonable argument to make at least the amp portion of his TP a high. I really like Scorpion but I do think he, geras, Sonya, and Erron all should have a little safety taken out of their game play, though I think he is certainly a weak offender given how vulnerable he is to breakaway.