What's new

New UMK3 Tier List? (update for 2012)

Running, jabbing, blocking, has openings, and the best time to catch someone coming in is on the frame they jab when advancing. To perform seamless running with actual advancing, jabbing and cancel by blocking, seems virtually impossible to not have at least some incongruent frames.
Does the jabee not have block stun ?your not gonna just get up and sweep or advance on the jabber if they know what they are doing. Also dont assume someone is following this preset pattern of advancing. What it boils down to is that unless you play with and get to see how the best plays you cannot say it "Seems" virtually impossible because its not impossible. Its all about spacing and knowing how to force a switch of offence and defence and the only way to be good at that is to play NFL practice.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Does the jabee not have block stun ?your not gonna just get up and sweep or advance on the jabber if they know what they are doing. Also dont assume someone is following this preset pattern of advancing. What it boils down to is that unless you play with and get to see how the best plays you cannot say it "Seems" virtually impossible because its not impossible. Its all about spacing and knowing how to force a switch of offence and defence and the only way to be good at that is to play NFL practice.
What other name do you go by? I've never heard of you and you seem to know a lot about UMK3. Just curious... :)

Anyway, I think uSub beats Kabal, thoughts?

NoDoubt

nasty
Shouldn't the tier list now be based on who has the best normals, because isn't that 90% of what's used in high level matches?
yea but specials dictate how normals are used during a match. like kitana instant-air fan makes her good cuz it snuffs out block jabs...n same with sonya's tools + unblockables in the game. Normals are used alot but influenced by specials used and fought against. i think

Reactions: ded

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Shouldn't the tier list now be based on who has the best normals, because isn't that 90% of what's used in high level matches?
Everyone pretty much has the same normals though. Just slight differences in properties and shit.

Mgo

Noob
And while Marvirrasta's Kung Lao is extremely good, it's blown away by his Kitana and Ermac.
While me and you and others are saying "Marvirrasta's Kung Lao is extremely good" a quick example is in the video that nwo posted, Kanomk2-who we all know he have much more knowledge about MK2 than UMK3, tho he is not a bad example to give an opinion on UMK3-
is saying to Marvirrasta "Kung Lao thats your worst character" sounds a bit contradictory right? I think this is due to the nature of the character, not the fact that he handle Kung Lao worse compared to other chars

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
let me clarify again, for those who dont really know me and are taking licks:

first of all, i havent touchedthis game in years (as usual), and still have knowledge of umk3 metagame, thanks to wavenet and the competition there. if all you did was jab, you got your ass beat, plain and simple. nothing will be like that ever again. second, who cares about this game anymore? 10-20 people? sure reo, grab that title of best jabber. go for it broski - i could care less! have fun with your new GJ tier list for all those 10 man tournies too. i will be having more fun random selecting and playing casuals with friends, developing new setups and strategies on the fly, because thats what you have to do in metagame. i lost interest in the community when i heard people were playing with only jabs/infinites. id rather play vs. friends casually. with all that said im confident ill remain deadly on a cabinet, even cold.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
let me clarify again, for those who dont really know me and are taking licks:

first of all, i havent touchedthis game in years (as usual), and still have knowledge of umk3 metagame, thanks to wavenet and the competition there. if all you did was jab, you got your ass beat, plain and simple. nothing will be like that ever again. second, who cares about this game anymore? 10-20 people? sure reo, grab that title of best jabber. go for it broski - i could care less! have fun with your new GJ tier list for all those 10 man tournies too. i will be having more fun random selecting and playing casuals with friends, developing new setups and strategies on the fly, because thats what you have to do in metagame. i lost interest in the community when i heard people were playing with only jabs/infinites. id rather play vs. friends casually. with all that said im confident ill remain deadly on a cabinet, even cold.
We are aiming for 32 entrants at NECXIII. Why don't you come along and support it with us? There will already be a number of of UMK-Legends like Shock, Crazy Dominican, AC1984, NoDoubt, REO, attending as well as numerous semi-retired guys like Red Saleen, Pig of the Hut, myself, etc. and ALSO guys who learned to play but never went crazy with it like we did. I don't think 32 will be a problem, Brother. Just with the normal amount of MK9 players we tend to fill up UMK3 if we push it. There a number of people I have never seen or met at a tourney I am pushing towards attending their 1st major at NEC and many have accepted. This should be going back to roots for you. 1,500+ players. Oh yea, we gonna do up some MK at NECXIII, believe that.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Why do you think you can't develop new strategies, tricks and setups, using jabs and infinites? why do people think that when you use Gjabs, you're not doing anything else?

Mind = blown

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Run Jabs - Canceling jabs with the run button
aRun Jabs - Advancing with Run while canceling jabs
Block Jabs - Canceling jabs with block
abJabs - A combination of a and Block Jabs
Def Jabs - Stationary cycling of Jabs while holding block and/or defending throws and sweeps

Anything else? Also better designations are appreciated.
Man if UsedForGlue starts playing Ultimate we're gonna have to start calling corner jab infs "da jab trap"..

It's difficult to make a tier list on a 1-23 basis because of match ups. Depending on what the match up is, it could completely change the outcome. A character lower on the tier list may do well againt a character higher on the tier list just because of the match up.

If i had to make a ranking i would do it in sets rather than a 1-23 basis. I'm by no means a highest level player, but I'm decent and have played for a while against very good players in the past.

S rank:Kabal, Human smoke
A+ rank: Ermac, Kung lao, Nightwolf, Kitana, Sonya
A rank: Reptile, Robot smoke, Jax, Sindel, Kano, U.sub
B rank: Jade, Stryker, Scorpion, Mileena, Sheeva, Sektor, C.sub, Liu Kang
C rank: Shang tsung, Cyrax

This is just a general idea based on my opinion. I also factored in somewhat ease of use. I think that reptile would easily be A+ rank in the right hands, but I see very few players that can really use him effectively enough. Its rare i encounter someone who gives me a lot of trouble with reptile. Usually i'll have an easy time beating him with a teleporter or sonya.

IMO the top 5 in the game are Kabal, Human smoke, Ermac, Kung lao, and Kitana in that order. Thats just my opinion though.

Personally my top 5 are kabal, human smoke, kitana, sonya, and robot smoke. Those are just the characters I'm best with.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There's 2 types of players these days:

Type A: Players who learn to use and defend the Jabs: "Game is fine, you just need practice with these jabs"

Type B: Players who refuse to do the above: "Game is broken and boring with these jabs"

It's pretty obvious the situation.

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
There's 2 types of players these days:

Type A: Players who learn to use and defend the Jabs: "Game is fine, you just need practice with these jabs"

Type B: Players who refuse to do the above: "Game is broken and boring with these jabs"

It's pretty obvious the situation.
C: People who just don't care and play.

What other name do you go by? I've never heard of you and you seem to know a lot about UMK3. Just curious... :)

maybe...when i first started playing online on XBL, i had trouble with U.sub when i was playing as Kabal, but now i can beat him most of the time depending on who my opponent is. It really depends on who is using the characters though.

I have a friend who literally picks U.sub like every single match. He used to beat my kabal like 3/4 times in our matches, but now its the other way around, and i win much more often.

In general i think that in a match with 2 equally skilled players, the kabal player would win like 3/5 times. U.sub is a good Kabal counter though, people counter-pick me with him all the time, and i do the same on occasion when my opponent picks Kabal.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I didn't know this was a vanilla MK3 thread :REO

But nah, I think it's 5-5, standing HK and ice clone keeps them honest when trying to check with a psychic spin, and ice clone still has done messed up proximity detection depending on where you pull it off. But they're still just essentially good reads on the uSub's player's part. A few more characters are able to go even with Kabal than they're given credit for though, imo.

Btw I wasn't trying to counterpick Kabal or anything when I was playing on the charity stream, I just wanted to pay tribute to John Turk being on OBS last week :p