Lex theorycrafting zone.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
starting up another one of these. haters will be removed swiftly. ::|

Lex

hmm, best things about liu off the top of my head:

rj [close] xx ff+hk
on block, the kick does a passthru/crossup. breaks up any buffers they may be doing. also good cos it checks for throw with a passthru/crossup option. the kick will stop short on the passthru, just repeat, or mixup with:

lk, lk, hk, lk[hold]
(not blocked) puts them at zone range for low fire/aarh mixups. low fire is safe after this combo hits. if they are smart they will run up block to get closer to try and punish. stuff that with ff+hk. you must be smart with ff+hk. if you are mid/long range, just buffer ff and choose lp or hk.
(blocked) look for aarh first. if they are still defending, go back to rj xx ff+hk passthrough
you want to keep lk down on the last hit of this to sneak in a turkey kick buffer.

on aarh, low fire is safe, and it puts you at zone rage. liu loves long range or close range. both of these techniques exploit those ranges well.

if you can push them to their corner, you can mess with their head with ff+hk passthru spam. do it fast enough and youll float in a crossup. mix in rjs for throw attempts and lk lk hk lk.

stopping the 7 hit with an rj xx (mixup) is good

you shouldnt ever have to fall back with liu. fight them where they are, either long or short. if it goes mid range, close the distance with rj's as per usual and go for passthru's.

never air fire unless you are juggling.

Lex

jade is kinda tough since you have to rely on universal basics, like well timed high kicks and sweeps, but heres a few:

rj the crap out of ppl and do the staff 4 hit. if it hits, juggle a sweep and stay in their face.

if they cross up, do green kicks with the motion reversed (juggle a second with the forward motion). sometimes they will fly behind you so you have to react quickly to juggle a second when that happens. i usually follow up with boomerangs after that.

if you get to zone range, throw TONS of the boomerang projectiles. just keep tossing them until they get midrange.

rj's xx projectile invis then quickly upper. works well, cos ppl like to try and jump, or they eat uppercut chip dmg.

be smart with green kicks. use them like liu kangs kicks and stuff ppl trying to jump and advance. most of the time i try for two back to back green kicks just for shits and giggles. it hits more often than you would think because of the short cooldown.

my biggest problem with her is the upclose game, i like using the 4 hit staff combo, but i always end up doing it at the wrong time, cause it whiffs on duckers and that usually gets me, i end up having to use her 4 hit kick combo more then i'd prefer, and i try to throw that reflector thingy in there all the time.

sense people are starting to use block to cancel with more, i'll have to use her 7 hit to max out my chip damage, but it also starts with the staff and gets whiffed from time to time.

what would be some good uplcose mind games, i know she has to have some pretty decent ones cause she's got nice tools, jus no real juggles.

EDIT: the green dash kick seems to be kind of connection dependent sometimes on the cooldown

Lex

Paralyzer said:
my biggest problem with her is the upclose game, i like using the 4 hit staff combo, but i always end up doing it at the wrong time, cause it whiffs on duckers and that usually gets me, i end up having to use her 4 hit kick combo more then i'd prefer, and i try to throw that reflector thingy in there all the time.
up close you do your standard rj/uppercut chip/high kicks and wait for them to jump back (boomerangs) or crossup (green kick). its very basic, you can do the same tactic with nightwolf. the knee combo is good, finish it, and mix up green kick and high kick.

sense people are starting to use block to cancel with more, i'll have to use her 7 hit to max out my chip damage, but it also starts with the staff and gets whiffed from time to time.
use the uppercut for most of your chip damage, and get used to the range it puts you at after they block it. this range is key for any char, and very key for jade.

what would be some good uplcose mind games, i know she has to have some pretty decent ones cause she's got nice tools, jus no real juggles.
no real 'nice' ones, just basics. well, aside from the projectile cancel upper, you can mix in sweeps (be smart), high kicks, and green kicks. once in a while, rj xx boomerang. most of her up close game is from stopping chains early and rj/high kick/sweep/green kick.

to improve your close game overall, get used to tapping run before everything you do. ex: finish the 4 hit knee combo, tap run+forward then hk.

Lex

ahh usub. not the worst, but def not the best. heres a couple things that can help you out:

his jabs are really really really really good. try to catch ppl on the way up from jumps with his hp. his uppercut and his high kick are really good too. those should be your primaries. uppercut chip uppercut chip uppercut chip uppercut chip!!!

learn when to rj rushdown and throw foward ice. you can catch ppl in block animation because they moved at the last second, then they call bs "I WAS BLOCKING"!!!! you know did it right when that happens.
rj rj rj hk(knee) *pause* hk, rj xx forward ice. <-BNB sequence for me.

if you get a throw, shoot close up ice (D, F, B). if they try to advance they will get hit.

his slide sucks. only during combos or when you can time them.

his 5 hit glitch chain is very useful since the last hit is pretty much no recovery.

due to his ability, he relies on glitch cancel combos. get them down if you main usub.

even if you are full screen, rj xx forward ice, or rj xx clone. rj xx clone makes the box bigger, but you should know that by now.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Good shit for usub Lex.

Don't forget that anytime you freeze someone out of the air, push them close to the corner to maximize damage! This is imperative for usub!

You can rj XX clone people jumping at you on reaction, think of it as a safe jab trying to anti air them, but canceling with clone instead of block. With well timed air freezes, you can easily get 50% off an aaClone. Even without glitch cancelling.

Lex

indeed konqr. also if you can get a knockdown, time an rj xx forward ice if you think they are going to jump.

Lex

jax stuff for you guys:

you can win with just sweep, rj's/throws and air throws. this is very strong if you can get it down.

do the 7 hit and mixup single/double fires. after single fire, dash punch mixup ground pound. after double fire you can ground pound or advance and go into the sweep pattern.

get people to the corner so you can do the easy corner combos for tons of damage.

nightwolf:

get in close and beat their ass.

hk is your friend. either you will get a toe stomp or a high kick. follow up with mixed up shoulders or rj's.

2xrj xx shoulder then hk.

uppercut chip, shoulder, hk.

get them into the corner and mix up 2xhk and shoulders. if they are learning, throw them out or uppercut chip and look for aa.

Lex

konq you dont have to keep hp down the whole time. do the combo and then quickly hold hp after the last hit, jk, sai. learn the timing for that instead of trying to do the millena claw the whole time.

the millena claw is useful for crossup throw tactics and sai games. i usually only do the claw one round at a time.

the crossup throw tactic is like kitana, but a bit easier. just land on top of them and sai. mixup throw and ball off of that.

shes a chick too so use her silent sweeps and good rjs and good uppercut chips.

cool thread.....wuts sum mix-ups w/ Ermac and H. Smoke?

Also is there any other stuff you can add to your post about Reptile from mku.com or is that pretty much it?

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I just want to add a little bit for Mileena: In that popup combo ending with the sais in midair, you can add a lp before the jk on a lot of chars with a run burst. And I would recommend seldom cancelling jabs into a tele kick if an opponent jumps out of your rushdown. I would follow a tele kick miss with a quick upper. If only the ball wasn't blockable before they hit the ground... it's also an excellent strat to use the ball as transport from full screen range if the opponent can't punish.

And with NW, I don't know if I would uppercut chip into shoulders much. Doesn't that distance risk too much punishment, even in the corner?

I'm glad you brought this from MKU, I didn't get a chance to say anything on there. But very nice stuff, I think anyone can appreciate it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Mileena Claw...I like that term lol

What would you suggest for Cyrax?

Also...how do you fight against the teleporting ninjas? That is my #1 weakness, they shut down everything I do with popup spam and running away.

Lex

RollTide8569 said:

Also is there any other stuff you can add to your post about Reptile from mku.com or is that pretty much it?
most of my mixups are after a blocked knee launcher. hsmoke is pretty straight foward with his play, and ermac you have to be a little more funky. both are very defensive and play mostly at long range. hsmoke loves working in lots of crossup combos and ermac sneaks in the lifts.

Lex

Dreamcatcher said:
I just want to add a little bit for Mileena: In that popup combo ending with the sais in midair, you can add a lp before the jk on a lot of chars with a run burst. And I would recommend seldom cancelling jabs into a tele kick if an opponent jumps out of your rushdown. I would follow a tele kick miss with a quick upper. If only the ball wasn't blockable before they hit the ground... it's also an excellent strat to use the ball as transport from full screen range if the opponent can't punish.

And with NW, I don't know if I would uppercut chip into shoulders much. Doesn't that distance risk too much punishment, even in the corner?

I'm glad you brought this from MKU, I didn't get a chance to say anything on there. But very nice stuff, I think anyone can appreciate it.
ya thats all good stuff. the full screen ball is great for closing the distance. stryker loves doing that w/ his dash too. i never do the tele kick unless they ding danger.

Lex

Konqrr said:
Mileena Claw...I like that term lol

What would you suggest for Cyrax?

Also...how do you fight against the teleporting ninjas? That is my #1 weakness, they shut down everything I do with popup spam and running away.
best thing i can suggest for him is bomb games: close bomb, run on top of it, when it explodes, shoot another close bomb, run on top of it, repeat. im not very good w/ cyrax so i generally just do basics with that bomb pattern.

best thing to do against teleport spam is to buffer backwards dash moves, like nightwolf and kabal. kitana is my teleporter killer cos she has a 50% punisher and she can sike ppl out with air fans. bait the teleport and block it!

RollTide8569 said:

Mix in rj's with hk start pop-up but not completing the pop-up. Just doing the hk/lk then continuing to rj and hk/lk mix-up. Then occasionally throw in a full pop-up combo, or even the 3 hit pop-up. Sneak in teleports while rushing in too. Teleport to spear works well, just don't do it too often. Also throw in some cross-up jks, or cross-up jp start pop-up as well. Just make sure you don't do it at obvious times. Random sweeps don't hurt either.