What's new

New UMK3 Tier List? (update for 2012)

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
Kinda off-topic, but the instant air projectiles in this game aren't that hard to do with a PS2 d-pad. I've been trying to do it with an analog and I never understood how to do it. With a PS2 pad though, it's so much easier. No wonder players like REO and NoDoubt can do that shit so easily.
I have trouble with them on a pad :/
I must not be doing them right.

I got on XBL UMK3 the other night and tried my tactic out once and that person jumped as soon as i dropped the combo, maybe if I was fast enough I would have caught him anyway with pop up. Dunno. Most people try to uppercut or just block.

Hey NinjaGrinder, that would make for a nasty and very annoying Kabal jajaja

Juggs, I do it with the 360 analog. Not hard at all. Back, Back hold and slide to Up Back press HP. I used to think it was hard but I just didn't practice enough.

nwo

Noob
I got on XBL UMK3 the other night and tried my tactic out once and that person jumped as soon as i dropped the combo, maybe if I was fast enough I would have caught him anyway with pop up. Dunno. Most people try to uppercut or just block.

Hey NinjaGrinder, that would make for a nasty and very annoying Kabal jajaja

Juggs, I do it with the 360 analog. Not hard at all. Back, Back hold and slide to Up Back press HP. I used to think it was hard but I just didn't practice enough.
All the people I've ever asked (who do instant air projectiles on pad) have said they have 2 up buttons. I don't play on XBOX, but I know you can hold the analog stick up while doing it on the d-pad.

After practicing this on stick, they aren't that hard to do, and I know you don't need 2 up buttons. On a ps2 controller I need 2 up buttons, but my skills on that suck now.

I've never really asked a full blown pro I guess.

Kinda off-topic, but the instant air projectiles in this game aren't that hard to do with a PS2 d-pad. I've been trying to do it with an analog and I never understood how to do it. With a PS2 pad though, it's so much easier. No wonder players like REO and NoDoubt can do that shit so easily.
I can't do it at all on the 360 pad. I use the D-pad. I can do it occasionally on the keyboard but that's about it. Wish I could get it down on the 360 pad because it would step up my kitana/kabal game nicely.

I can't do it at all on the 360 pad. I use the D-pad. I can do it occasionally on the keyboard but that's about it. Wish I could get it down on the 360 pad because it would step up my kitana/kabal game nicely.
I'm no expert on instant airs by any means, but I can do them on the 360 dpad. It's much easier with the ps3 or ps2 dpad for me tho. I'm sure you have heard this time and time again, but here's what I do. I typically do them out of the recovery of a normal move. I'm holding up in the recovery of whatever move I do at that time, and as I'm holding up I'm rolling my thumb foward, foward, or back, back all while maintaining the up position. Now as soon as my character recovers from whatever normal I did, they will jump bc I was holding up. The f, f, or b, b, inputs have already been done bc I was rolling my thumb so all that has to be done is press the appropriate button as soon as the character leaves the ground.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
You don't need to press 2 ups before the "jump". I do them just pressing back once, and then moving the stick in a fluid motion from back to up- back (kinda like a backwards Sagat tiger knee in SF2) and that's it.

The same as MIKECALDWELL, I like to do them after buffering a normal, specially a roundhouse or after a blocked autocombo.

Here's the kabal mixup I was talking about. At the beggining of the 1st round I was very nervous but I guess those 2 cross up throws at the end of the round gave me some confidence. Because I thought he was expecting me to try another cross up throw or auto combo, I just went for the spin and it paid off. He tried an uppercut but I know the best answer is to uppercut before kabal touches the ground and then avoiding the cross up throw attempt, right? There are some AIFBs examples as well

it's in the 1:12 minute mark

NinjaGrinder

gamemk

I'm no expert, but I can do these AIFBs consistently (of course, I mess up sometimes, I'm not perfect) on a cabinet and on my 360 TE stick. They're simply a "new" feature, something that was discovered on another era of the game (I think, 4 years ago would be accurate?). It's not a glitch, man. Do you honestly believe that the UMK3 dev. team knew everything that was in the game when they released it? not even the game testers could imagine back then stuff like AIFBs and other stuff we see today. The game's complex and deep and I'm personally thankful for that.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You don't actually Tiger Knee any motions in MK, the closest could be Sindel's air fireball, where you'd make a 3/4 circle starting from up to forward. The instant air attacks are just simply how the moves are performed. Some moves can't have anything pressed in between certain buttons, some have long delays where a move can be performed, but if you press a direction after the final directional input of an attack, I think it cancels the move's overall input. However, you can do something like, D, F, LP, HP and if the HP is the activating button, it'll instantly cancel the LP. In short, the instant air variations were not a deliberate method of performing the moves, rather a useful short cut.

gamemk

I'm no expert, but I can do these AIFBs consistently (of course, I mess up sometimes, I'm not perfect) on a cabinet and on my 360 TE stick. They're simply a "new" feature, something that was discovered on another era of the game (I think, 4 years ago would be accurate?). It's not a glitch, man. Do you honestly believe that the UMK3 dev. team knew everything that was in the game when they released it? not even the game testers could imagine back then stuff like AIFBs and other stuff we see today. The game's complex and deep and I'm personally thankful for that.
gamemk Can you accept this now and forget about all the issues you have with this stuff?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Who cares whether or not Instant Air Projectiles are technically a glitch or not? It's a pointless argument.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's a pointless argument with respect to UMK3 only because there are stronger ways to win games, and every character has the ability to run, and combo. Their tenuous relevance in UMK3 exists only in machine gun Kabal, but like I said machine gun Kabal doesn't define the character. It's not a pointless argument with respect to MK2, and defining them as either a glitch or a new, accepted feature of the game should bring up questions of whether or not they should be allowed in tournaments. That's why I decided to give my opinion. Also, they are still causing problems in MK 9, which makes their past, present and future handling somewhat interesting to discuss.
This is a UMK3 tier list discussion thread. Why would I be talking about other games? Your argument is pointless, and is off-topic.

9_Lives

Noob
Hey guys, I don't have much to contribute to the tier discussion, unfortunately. I was just wondering where I should go if I want to learn the fundamentals of this game so that I may eventually have some relevant info. Any tips?

It's a pointless argument with respect to UMK3 only because there are stronger ways to win games, and every character has the ability to run, and combo. Their tenuous relevance in UMK3 exists only in machine gun Kabal, but like I said machine gun Kabal doesn't define the character. It's not a pointless argument with respect to MK2, and defining them as either a glitch or a new, accepted feature of the game should bring up questions of whether or not they should be allowed in tournaments. That's why I decided to give my opinion. Also, they are still causing problems in MK 9, which makes their past, present and future handling somewhat interesting to discuss.
Well this thread isn't about mk2, or mk9. It's about umk3. And as you said, its only really relevant to Kabal. The IAFB are a part of the game and i'd hardly call them a glitch at all. The developers made it possible to jump into the air and shoot the fireballs on the way up. Maybe they did not anticipate people being able to shoot them off so quickly after leaving the ground, but it's possible and part of the game, and you don't need to do anything that i would consider worthy of being called a glitch to pull it off.

It takes some skill to do, personally i can't consistently do it. It isn't game breaking at all when it comes to umk3. It's possible to get around it, I play with people who can do them quite well and i can get around it, more or less easily depending on what character I'm using. You'd really be better off playing against a good player who can use them then trying to debate whether or not its worthy of being called a glitch and should be banned in tournaments, because I can tell you right now, neither of those things are going to happen.

NinjaGrinder

Thanks for sharing your insight.

I don't count what can be done on TE sticks. They didn't design the game with square gates in mind. I only care about the cabinet.
Well, have you heard about circular restrictors? I have one for my TE stick. I can't do Ermac's slam and Kung's spin consistently on square gate...

So technically, playing in my TE stick is just like playing on the cabinet (at least when it comes to button layout here, almost no one plays with the original layout in my country).

Oh and Shock, I was talking about reverse tiger knee motion for IAFBs with kabal, it's just how I feel I must do them in order to pull 'em off consistently

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well, have you heard about circular restrictors? I have one for my TE stick. I can't do Ermac's slam and Kung's spin consistently on square gate...

So technically, playing in my TE stick is just like playing on the cabinet (at least when it comes to button layout here, almost no one plays with the original layout in my country).

Oh and Shock, I was talking about reverse tiger knee motion for IAFBs with kabal, it's just how I feel I must do them in order to pull 'em off consistently
NG, It's more like an inverted ducking spear motion, IE, hold up, tap back back without releasing up. Tiger knee is just adding an upward motion to get the character OTG while still activating a move, IE Cable Air Hyper Viper Beam in MvC2.

Otherwise, this topic is meant for another discussion really, not the tier list. It's definitely a good question though.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I know this thread is hella old, but I want to weigh in here...

Instant air projectiles are NOT glitches... not even close. You can do them on a cabinet with stock sticks... I did at Season's Beatings, there are videos of top 8.

Also, I will ONLY use my square gate TE stick to play MK2/UMK3/MK4... I hate the cabinet sticks with a passion. I see too many tournament videos where people miss combos that they normally land due to the octo/circle gate nonsense.

nwo

Noob
I know this thread is hella old, but I want to weigh in here...

Instant air projectiles are NOT glitches... not even close. You can do them on a cabinet with stock sticks... I did at Season's Beatings, there are videos of top 8.

Also, I will ONLY use my square gate TE stick to play MK2/UMK3/MK4... I hate the cabinet sticks with a passion. I see too many tournament videos where people miss combos that they normally land due to the octo/circle gate nonsense.
The authentic MK sticks don't have gates, the only time I have an issue is if the entire stick gets moved and sometimes I could lose track of diagonals. You just need to reposition and have a test / warm up fight. I've been using an iL eurostick for a little over 2 years, and this problem is almost non existent now.