What's new

Jax General Discussion

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Is it just me or they made Jax's Command Grab Krushing Blow harder with the patch?

Last edited:

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Is it just me or they made Jax's Command Grab harder with the patch?
Execution wise, atleast to me, getting ticks consistently from D1/D3 is much harder than it was pre-patch, when you could tick throw from almost every string he had. Because the window for tick command is much smaller.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Execution wise, atleast to me, getting ticks consistently from D1/D3 is much harder than it was pre-patch, when you could tick throw from almost every string he had. Because the window for tick command is much smaller.
Sorry I forgot to specify, I meant the Krushing Blow. I had it quite consisten before the patch, now I drop it more often than not.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I run hunker down and I'm lost at what to do against players who just walk back and toss projectiles/throw out half screen advancing strings all day. These strings stretch and advance forward faster than I can walk back, hunting for whiffs to get them off their footsies is just not doing anything for me.

I can have a char like Noob whiff his first two hits in his string and the third will tag me as i'm walking back. I feel like i'm getting turtled hard in most MUs. And jax's stubby range on f2 isn't helping. Man I wish they kept dash palm at -7, I feel like that and that slow ass gp is all I got to play footsies.

Oh yeah, and the wake up system compounds this issue for me. I hate having to resort to f2d2 or sweep to open someone up blocking the overhead punches because I know I have to deal with wake up roll, up2, or delayed. These low damage knockdown mixups be killin me in MUs against chars like skarlet.

Theres only a few characters that can really keep jax out. You have to be very patient and strategic in when you move. They can't walk backwards forever, especially with these stages. Alot of people try to walk back and then do a move to catch you walking forward. If you read it you can typically jump over for a combo. otherwise dashing into f2 covers alot of ground, or if your inputs are quick amplified bf2. You can also use dd4 to harass and stop them from walking back the entire time. Jax is a beast up close I don't blame anyone for backing up we just have to get better at neutral

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
Sorry I forgot to specify, I meant the Krushing Blow. I had it quite consisten before the patch, now I drop it more often than not.
i gotchu. first hit wait til they hit the ground, 2nd wait til they are full shrimp, 3rd wait til they are about chest high to jax. make sure you are training under delay for online play this worked for me

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I do have a question. subzero has this forward reaching axe. the only way ive figured out how to get past a subzero that walks back while using it is to jump over it. is there any other options? I tried f2, bf2, dd4, but it's hard af to get past that damn axe lmfao

nodq

wicked
Use d4 to bully your opponent. That makes them block low a lot because it is mad annoying for them. Then you can also use b2 (not fully charged) to bully them even more, if you can not get in to get your stuff going.

Last edited:

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
+1
need to know some stuff, please enlighten us
most people play hunker down but both seem like viable variations with different strategies. I can only give my opinion on hunker down.

-Jax is rushdown. You want to be close. This will require patience, footsies, and overall good neutral skills.
-Once you are in, stay there. Do not be afraid to challenge a wakeup. Jax f2 and b3 can stuff some. Be ready for rolls out of the corner. Those are prime throw krushing blow material. Really experiment in practice to have a good gameplay for a players wakeup options, and if they have no meter they have to block/delay so that's pressure city
-Learn the tick throw. from d1 or d3 you need to be able to do quad grab. the sooner you learn it the better your gameplan becomes. i want to experiment with the throw on wakeup but im still teaching myself the movements
*on that same vein learn the krushing blow to maximize a punish
-train reactions with his antiairs. hes got some great tools for good damage
-my personal preference is to start easy with combos unless they just mesh for you. d12db1 can combo any airborne opponent. learn the hitbox/hurtbox it has way better range than you would think. if you get a kb popup dash 22 d12db1 is a fairly simple 30% and fully heats arms.
*jax isnt super combo heavy, and normally people just breakaway anyway. knowing the kb's is more important

i'd say the two most important things off rip with jax is learning his krushing blow requirements and being patient in neutral. pick your shots and youl be fine until your lab practice starts to be automatic. I'm not a pro so any tym people with corrections feel free to violate me

ATIWAB

Noob
Now that they've removed so many of the tick throws, that whole tournament variation is pretty trash because it's a wasted slot outside of the KB.

You can do MUCH more efficient damage with a 1-bar Amp'd burning hammer for FAR less difficult input on any pop-up than you can with 2 bars by tick grabbing it, ex., B1->F4 (because the back carries over to the BF4 input from the B1) Amp does 211.50 at zero heat for five inputs (B 1 F 4 R1) vs. 221.0 for B1->DBF1 243, so nine inputs with VERY tight timing to even get the 2 to come out on the initial grab, let alone try to reliably hit the KB. The fact that it's a throw is totally irrelevant because a blocked B1 puts the opponent just out of range of the grab anyway.

Add to that how the double-heat-missile-on-a-6-hit KB is way harder on that variation without dash connects and you realize how shit the whole setup is.

A variation running Ripped/Enhanced Outranked instead of Quad Grab would be 10x better after this change.

Now that they've removed so many of the tick throws, that whole tournament variation is pretty trash because it's a wasted slot outside of the KB.

You can do MUCH more efficient damage with a 1-bar Amp'd burning hammer for FAR less difficult input on any pop-up than you can with 2 bars by tick grabbing it, ex., B1->F4 (because the back carries over to the BF4 input from the B1) Amp does 211.50 at zero heat for five inputs (B 1 F 4 R1) vs. 221.0 for B1->DBF1 243, so nine inputs with VERY tight timing to even get the 2 to come out on the initial grab, let alone try to reliably hit the KB. The fact that it's a throw is totally irrelevant because a blocked B1 puts the opponent just out of range of the grab anyway.

Add to that how the double-heat-missile-on-a-6-hit KB is way harder on that variation without dash connects and you realize how shit the whole setup is.

A variation running Ripped/Enhanced Outranked instead of Quad Grab would be 10x better after this change.
For me personally the utility of the command grab alone makes it my preferred variation. The pressure you have is amazing and even though his ticks being neutered sucks we can still stagger into it or d1,d3,d1,2 into it.

ATIWAB

Noob
For me personally the utility of the command grab alone makes it my preferred variation. The pressure you have is amazing and even though his ticks being neutered sucks we can still stagger into it or d1,d3,d1,2 into it.
Let's look at those scenarios:

D12: pushes them too far away on hit to land it. Only usable on block, but not cancellable into the DBF1 anyway and at that point you're better off using a real toward throw for arm heat and the KB.
D1: you'll whiff overhead on hit. Only usable on block. Probably the only situation where this is still useful.
D3: you'll whiff overhead on hit. If they're blocking, you'll whiff because they're blocking low. There's no scenario where D3 works unless they block the D3 and then stand up expecting an overhead, which makes no sense because Jax has no D3 string that ends in an overhead. You'd have to basically condition them to fear the B2, but that has such a long windup and is so easy to poke out that I don't see this being a real scenario.

The problem with all of them now is that landing your poke actually fucks you over, there's no starter that reliably will land the tick throw on hit and by the time you hit confirm and realize it's going to whiff, you're already done with the input because of how fast the cancel has to be to hit all four inputs. If they are blocking in one scenario (D1) at you get the command grab, great, but now your choice is either:

• waste two bars making it "worth it" for a paltry 18% damage with tight input timings
• waste one bar for 16%.
• use it to get 7-12% damage depending on your 2 timing being tight enough and let them attempt a wakeup.

It's just a shitty move now and only worth trying for the 1KB a match.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
Idk how u get them whiff... set AI to block all and D1/D3, D12 ticks. I just testedit again.
Tried it again, still whiffs. I set the dummy to crouch and block all.
When i set it to Stand and Block All it works as the AI stands after low blocking a D3.
The dummy was Sub Zero if that makes a difference.

Really wish this move worked on crouchers instead of standing oponents :(

ATIWAB

Noob
Tried it again, still whiffs. I set the dummy to crouch and block all.
When i set it to Stand and Block All it works as the AI stands after low blocking a D3.
The dummy was Sub Zero if that makes a difference.
D3 doesn't whiff on Sub if you have the settings like he has them, but they're dumb and not practical for a real match. Nobody is standing after a D3 block against Jax, he has no OH off the D3 so there's literally no reason to stand. They're going to counter-poke low, or keep blocking low expecting another low poke or throw attempt. Lol. It's a useless "test."

(edit -- you also have to be standing nose-to-nose with them, D3 range is longer than the DBF1 range so even if you poke with the D3 you still might be far enough away to whiff the throw.)

(edit 2 -- you can use your feet compared to their feet to gauge spacing on it.
)

Last edited:

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
Yea i definitely dont like the fact it requires 2 bars and the krushing blow for just 380. Would like for it to be 1 bar or increase the damage with the krushing blow so 2 bars is more valuable. Much more efficient when u can combo into it.

And the krushing blow is very consistent if you lab it. The hardest animation to time is the full shrimp

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
D3 doesn't whiff on Sub if you have the settings like he has them, but they're dumb and not practical for a real match. Nobody is standing after a D3 block against Jax, he has no OH off the D3 so there's literally no reason to stand. They're going to counter-poke low, or keep blocking low expecting another low poke or throw attempt. Lol. It's a useless "test."

(edit -- you also have to be standing nose-to-nose with them, D3 range is longer than the DBF1 range so even if you poke with the D3 you still might be far enough away to whiff the throw.)

(edit 2 -- you can use your feet compared to their feet to gauge spacing on it.
)
I can tell you hardly even know how to use Jax if u think D1/D3 into tick is useless in "real match"

You need to make them respect your lows. F2D4 few times, F2, regular D3 (since they expect oh). After that D3 on hit its your turn again so your free to D1/D3 into tick.

If they keep mashing , u f33 their ass with a mid until they start blocking again.

There's so much more than this that I could write up but thing is nothing comes for free. If you literally expect them to let u do d1/d3 into tick then idk what to tell you in the first place.

Its like saying there is no point to go for offense when its my turn because opponent will mash d1 on me, even tho its not his turn. Make them respect you.

You can aswell check GunShow and his jax, how hes conditioning his opponents to respect his options.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
You guys are really bad at argumentating your points.

Regardless ticks are not just viable, but very good too. Having a mixup off of f2 makes the normal a great stagger, and as long as you have staggers, ticks are going to be good.

Regardless even a d1 on hit can be followed up by a d1 tick, and when that tick is a potential 35% damage, I really don't know what's there to complain about.

MGTarkus

Kohustle
Jax tech, EX bf 2. Is safe on block, good for ending rounds. As you get decent and safe chip and stay in there throat. And if it hits that damage is more then good. Not a mix up but definitely worth knownjng in most match ups.

MGTarkus

Kohustle
Jax forward 4 is negative 5 or 6 on hit against crouching opponents. Making it one of his worst options. But still not terrible as you can use previously stated tech to mix it up. Also the farther away forward 4 is hits from the safer/more plus it is. Worthy tech.

MGTarkus

Kohustle
A lot of people complain about Jax low mix up off of forward 2 being -20, don’t forget about back 12. It’s a safe low option that leaves you with great oki and can switch sides of the full sting is completed. I also want to remind people that it’s not only about damage every time you press a button. Think a few moves ahead and see where it leaves you.