What's new

How do you feel about MKX?

When you think about MKX...

• Total voters
I tried playing MK9 last night and it was so different. I don't like intractables but I love the run button. I feel if they buffed anti-airs and some other small things this game would be really fucking good.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You have trip guard, armored specials, d2, air to airs, run under d2/trip guard, and character specific aa's. There's plenty of options for anti-airs. They aren't super powerful and easy like MK9, but the options are there.

The 50/50's are the only thing I still really don't like because it will always be a straight up guess. And with run being so good, zoning being so bad, block pressure being so good, block breakers being so bad, and other reasons (too lazy), the 50/50's are still annoying to me.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
i hate having everything on the block button, run should have been its own button or give us the opportunity to remap it as its own button.

sindel still isnt a playable character.... :(
If the run action was not as hard to access to, then I would feel more safe about it. Double tapping forward and holding down BLK feels so unnatural to me.

Zaccel

Noob
In the few times I've played MKX online, it's actually been remarkably good. Some flakiness is bound to happen, but my attitudes about the game aren't defined by online anyway.

Good stuff
+Variation system is cool in concept, even if there's a lot of room for improvement.
+Remarkably well balanced, considering the size of the cast.
+Reasonable progression of MK9's good points (delayed wakeup, modest buffer, et cetera) makes it pretty easy to pick up, with enough technical stuff in FBRCs and Variations for tech junkies to sink their teeth into. This would be a pretty good place to start for someone unfamiliar with the genre (and doesn't like Street Fighter).
+The new characters are decent, and have unique styles--rather than being Jarek-tier reskins.
+The patching has been handled well, at least in comparison to past outings.
+Match intros actually being interesting is a blessing.
+Brutalities are awesome. Some are too particular, but it's well-integrated regardless.
+Solid selection of characters with reasonably distinct playstyles. It's great to see fan-favorites like Tremor return with a fresh coat of paint (fingers crossed for Drahmin or Mavado).
+I expected the interactive stuff to be terrible, but I'm impressed with how they turned out. Having them cost stamina and being blockable is lovely. They're pretty diverse, and can turn the tables in interesting ways. All in all they encourage stages to mean something, which I like.

Bad stuff
-Variations suffer from the expected problem of one generally being 'best'. Some characters only have one decent Variation, leaving them feeling gutted.
-Some characters got a lot more love in the Variation concepts and variety. Also inevitable, but it doesn't make Jacqui or Reptile's any more exciting.
-"Press X to Purchase Goro"
-
Stamina feels like it hurts more than it helps. Dashes never seem to be anything other than 'awesome' or 'awful', and making backdashes cost stamina is iffy. Why should any backdash be crappy (like Kenshi's) when it already costs half your stamina? It doesn't add up.
-Speaking of Kenshi, how about that zoning, eh? They really turned down the jets, which is a bummer. Fewer effective playstyles leads to less diverse gameplay.
-Improvident move choices. So many normals, strings and special moves with no apparent purpose beyond window dressing.
-I think Breakers costing stamina (or at least all of it) is too extreme. It's not like the backdashes are so good that people would do them immediately, surely? This only ever seems to hurt characters with already lousy defense. This goes double for Block Breakers, the refugees of the drawing board.
-The handling of the frame data is an embarrassment. NRS needs to take a page from Virtua Fighter.
-Story mode was weak.

Overall, I like it pretty much the same as MK9, maybe a smidgen more. There are problems with the frame data, movesets, and Variations, but their potential is equally important in my eyes. MKX is fine, but it's not that far from being great if NRS plays their cards right.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I enjoy the game and honestly online hasn't been bad at all for me. The only times i lag it's because it was my faul for playing while my internet is acting up, because my oponent's connection is bad or because there's a patch coming, other than that it's been fine in my experience.

Anti Airs do need buffs for some characters and other characters need to get their jump normals toned down.
Example: Jacqui, Goro, Sub-Zero for bad AA (there are more) and tone down some jump ins like Sub Zero's, Scorpion's, Kung FUCKIN Lao's.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I think TYM is fully aware of my opinions on the game by now, so I'll just say I voted the second option.

It depresses me that an MK game, of all things, wasn't what I wanted in a fighting game, especially since it was MK that brought me into the community in the first place. I made a genuine effort to like and support the game, only to receive no reward for it. At the same time, I've dealt with bullshit from both MK9 and Injustice for quite some time, so you'd think I could stand to endure a little more.

Guess not.

But as long as players like MKX for what it is, I shouldn't call it a complete loss. It may not be for me, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be the game of their dreams.

MORDECA1

Noob
Let me play the Living Towers on Hard Difficutly. I play offline a lot and those things are not fun on when the opponents are all pushovers.

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
I really really want to like it... but I really just don't. Gonna go to my first local with this game... prob the last time I am gonna play it (and likely any nrs release).
It is almost good in so many areas... but fails miserably to be fun.

I enjoy the game but I hate how heavily focused it is on 50/50. U get one knock down and its time to guess, over and over again. Also ambiguous fast overheads and Fast+safe overheads shouldn't be a thing....but they are...

Also back dashes feel weak
Some variations are lazy and have little difference at all
The single player modes are BARE BONES. The towers are basically just test your luck mode. :/

Its a 5/10 for me

Last edited:

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
It exceeded my expectations, but that may have a lot to do with the character I play. I'd like the useless variations for other characters to be at least viable, as that was the original intention of the game.

DabJr 187

Twitter NE_8a_DabJr & Twitch NE_8A_DabJr
It's totally awesome, I just can't stand some of the bullshit in the game like bs shinnok, predator dirt, everything about tanya's sexy self in general, and the extreme downplay on some characters like 60% of the Liu Kang community saying he needs his damn near block infinite pressure fuck outta here...other than that's its fantastic!!!!

coolwhip

Noob
There's no doubt that jumping is powerful, but I swear TYM is spoiled by MK9 and just wants to be able to standing 1/standing 2 anti-air jump ins with ease in order to consider anti-airing a viable option.