What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

if it lands monkey leap if it doesnt then nothing lol. if you monkey leap on block your getting a sweet d2. If your trait is up i guess you can use b2 grab as an end to combos, would rather keep the resets going though
Presumably you mean close leap. I have trouble timing it. If the enemy is naer enough when you kick, even a close leap is risky

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
This character is too much fun but as it stands I definitely feel like he needs a little help. Some people have proposed making his levitate blast an overhead but I would rather not just throw a 50/50 to him and call it a day. Obviously many people won't agree with me but I propose these changes:

Making canceling into his trait off certain block strings plus 1-3 or at least neutral. For example 22 trait cancel would be 0 on block and if 22 connects, the follow up will combo.

Make mb levitate blast plus 5-7

Make bf2 trait special a hard knock down with more hit advantage

Make levitate blast -8

With these options he doesn't gain any 50/50 but wil give an actual use to his trait and allow for some decent pressure..
What do you guys think? What would you like?

Also please note that this is just a fun discussion and in no way am I demanding buffs. Just a fun hypothetical discussion. Please don't be that person who starts bitching about us demanding buffs, games just came out, blah blah blah.
in 22 grab the pounce should be an overhead.

ex stampede should do at least twice as much damage. Its one of the coolest and hypest moves in the game but does almost no damage. he literally does more with b2.

you should be able to perform his trait float while airborne.

better startup and shorter recovery for projectile invincibility mainly because its trait activated. Maybe a meter burn version thats safer and lasts longer.

his mid round chest beating animation needs to be much faster, like the one from ex stampede. [fuckin critical]

I think this could all happen without changing his gameplan or overall design too much.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.

ex stampede should do at least twice as much damage. Its one of the coolest and hypest moves in the game but does almost no damage. he literally does more with b2.

better startup and shorter recovery for projectile invincibility mainly because its trait activated. Maybe a meter burn version thats safer and lasts longer.

his mid round chest beating animation needs to be much faster, like the one from ex stampede. [fuckin critical]

I think this could all happen without changing his gameplan or overall design too much.
I agree with most of this man. EX-Stampede should easily do like 12%.

Float should ABSOLUTELY be available during leaps and jumps. That alone would make the trait actually scary.

A meterburned projectile immunity should be fast and last the remainder of the trait bar.

Those two changes to trait would make it all worth getting out.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.

Great ideas. I'm all for these changes.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Oh, right, thanks.

Maybe the best way to fix grodd is to make his gear unlocked abilities part of his regula rmoveset
I kinda doubt it.

The more I think about it, the more I'm on board with being able to cancel his leaps and jumps into float when you have the trait on. Grodd get's knocked out of the air so easy. Leaps are his greatest tool, and simultaneously a big weakness. The mind games you could create with trait on would probably balance him perfectly.

I have to say, Grodd is total shit really. He has no answers to the game's most prevalent tactics at all. His leap is ridiculous. His anti zoning is non existent. He can't compete with so many characters.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I have to say, Grodd is total shit really. He has no answers to the game's most prevalent tactics at all. His leap is ridiculous. His anti zoning is non existent. He can't compete with so many characters.
I can't deny it.

Krow

Noob
Yup, his trait is pretty much useless in neutral, using it is like asking to get combo

The only thing he has going for him is his 50/50 game which you need meter to keep up

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
is it worth cancelling d2 into leap?
On block or hit?

On block, fuck no. Way too many characters can punish it.

I guess if you're taking on hit that wouldn't make sense. You can't hit confirm it so doing it will only get you punished. I was ducking with b2~leap on block but way too many toons can just full combo punish.

TRG

Grodd God
Coach Steve says on twitter that he thinks Grodd is mid tier, but only when played at the highest level. Also says that he will not be used very much due to his high execution barrier with the stampede cancels.

It sucks cause SCs really are game changers that make Grodd so much scarier, but they're damn near impossible to pull off consistently.

I'm starting to think Grodd is doomed to be low tier without some buffs.

If the character has major issues then im sure it will be looked at . To early for me to jump in and say he is low tier garbage . The sc execution is really fucking difficult and I have only seen 1 person get them down consistently and that is hitbox tyrant and that is mainly because he is using a hitbox which naturally makes things like this 10 times easier but I shouldn't have to get rid of my stick to be able to consistently do these cancels. just my opinion and all other opinions are welcomed .

Again very early who knows maybe we all become SC gods

Last edited:

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
If the character has major issues then im sure it will be looked at . To early for me to jump in and say he is low tier garbage . The sc execution is really fucking difficult and I have only seen 1 person get them down consistently and that is hitbox tyrant and that is mainly because he is using a hitbox which naturally makes things like this 10 times easier but I shouldn't have to get rid of my stick to be able to consistently do these cancels. just my opinion and all other opinions are welcomed .

Again very early who knows maybe we all become SC gods
I think the cancels are going to get easier over time once people start figuring out the best spots for them. Its like grundy's walking corpse cancels but strictly much worse. Where did you see tyrant playing grodd? he was my favorite grundy player and i would love to see him using grodd.

Blakexton

Shinnuk
You can use float - 1 after b2 anywhere on the screen and combo after it.

Can be done mid combo, start of a combo, end of a combo. In effect it allows you to get another 'rep' of b2.

For example;

(With trait)
B2, DD1 - 1, dash, B2, DF1B, J2, B2, DF1B, J2. 296.98

B1 - 1+3MB, B3, J3, B2, DD1 - 1, dash, B2, DF1B, J2, B2, DF1B, J2. 459.41

If thanks well known, great, if not could be a useful tool in extending combos.