What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Sadly, Gorilla is trash

He lacks range and anti-zoning. He has some very cool cancels, but overall exectuion he requires just isnt rewarding enough

also Aquaman destroys him. You cant leap from the deep, you cant punish trident rush neither on block or wiff. Most of the time you cant even neural jump it on wakeup. You can barely punish f2 and b2 etc etc. Thats just one MU example, he suffers a lot in other MU.

Right now the only advice is to avoid him until massive buffs.
My early buff suggestions
- decrease gap in 22 and also make it impossible to low-profile second hit (catwoman can b3, numerous characters can d2)
- increase aerial frames on leap startup (or just make it better)
- quicker primal rage activation
- even better b2 - frames, range and hurtbox to be improved.
- float higher so it could avoid projectiles also massive buff to float overall
- Mind control faster - possible to combo off d1, also more range
- telepush - more range
- at least one trait move gains invulnerability on wakeup
- d2 is pretty good, but need better hitbox against crossups
- charge either more pushback/safer or more damage (50 damage for -14 move, srsly?)
- faster normal jump

Just a side note, his trait really needs some serious improvements. primal rage is great but thats all. aside from that all trait gives you is more damage and you already have a lot. Even if trait actually worked as primal rage works now it would be better than it is, lol.
Cant say I disagree lol the shit a grodd player has to go through is actually absurd. I never find my self desperate to activate trait unless im playing against a zoner and even then im just getting shot out of it lmao

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Has anyone been using his 223 string that sends them almost full screen? Not sure why you'd want to send your opponent full screen as Grodd unless you're facing some heavy rushdown character I guess.
I tend to use the 223 ender every once in a great while and only if I have a bar and the spacing is right to where it lands them in the corner (so they can't tech roll) from a distance then follow up with a far leap for full combo. I've caught many people off guard because I don't use it very often and they're not thinking they should wake up attack from that range.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
I found that Grodd's 22 string is unsafe against Flash. He can d2 in the middle of the 22 string and make the second hit whiff and full combo punish:

Belial

Noob
I found that Grodd's 22 string is unsafe against Flash. He can d2 in the middle of the 22 string and make the second hit whiff and full combo punish:
most characters can do that. has to do with (2)2 hitbox
its not possible to interrupt with 8 frame specials but some d2 and some d1 can beat second hit somehow

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
if that string starts getting blown up on a consistent basis we might have to resort to Grodd's 112 string which is only -5 on block. Not punishable by most of the cast afik.

Tested it now and Flash can get a d2 in after the 11(x)2 but he trades with Grodd. LOL Flash can just poke you out of the 112 string after the 11.

Last edited:

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I am not too worried about it personally. Too much time to assess understand and react accordingly to a 2 hit string before the 2nd hit even comes out. Just like mkx the real gaps that matter are third hit and up.

Course could be wrong, but offhand I don't see it being a big deal.

TRG

Grodd God
How the hell do you guys open up Aquaman? His d2 pretty much makes all jump in attempts useless and he's able to out space Grodd in footsies... The matchup feels like a nightmare.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
How the hell do you guys open up Aquaman? His d2 pretty much makes all jump in attempts useless and he's able to out space Grodd in footsies... The matchup feels like a nightmare.
It is a nightmare. You can't play life lead, you can't out reach him, you can't ever jump or leap, you can't punish either version of trident rush and he can water shield out of your restand combos. It's a fucking joke.

I try and just make him whiff and use b2 and secret sweep then pray I can make something happen. I also save meter for MBB3.

It's tough guys. Really tough.

TRG

Grodd God
also Aquaman destroys him. You cant leap from the deep, you cant punish trident rush neither on block or wiff. Most of the time you cant even neural jump it on wakeup. You can barely punish f2 and b2 etc etc. Thats just one MU example, he suffers a lot in other MU.
One of his worse match ups Honestly
It is a nightmare. You can't play life lead, you can't out reach him, you can't ever jump or leap, you can't punish either version of trident rush and he can water shield out of your restand combos. It's a fucking joke.

I try and just make him whiff and use b2 and secret sweep then pray I can make something happen. I also save meter for MBB3.

It's tough guys. Really tough.
I'm glad I'm not alone in this sentiment. I wasn't sure if the MU really felt that hopeless or if I was just doing something wrong.

I played about 20 matches against a really defensive Aquaman and I struggled to get any sort of offensive momentum going. Only time I could get combos was through MBB3's which he quickly caught onto... but even if I did get one going he'd slip out of it with his trait. Extremely frustrating.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I hope you guys get buffs. Such a cool character
Oh I believe they will be coming. I am absolutely sure Grodd buffs and quality of life changes are coming.

I'm sticking with Grodd for the long haul, through the ups and downs. He's so much fun, win or lose, like Puddle said.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Don't use 112 ever. In its current form it is terrible.

It's a shame because he is massively plus off of a charge cancel and it's the only string he can get a full combo from a cancel.

stop cryin boyz, tyrant is currently playing grodd and calling him GRODD GOD - let him show us the way ! n dont listen to theory dickheads, they are masturbating with еheir theory n having no idea how it works on practice

stop cryin boyz, tyrant is currently playing grodd and calling him GRODD GOD - let him show us the way ! n dont listen to theory dickheads, they are masturbating with еheir theory n having no idea how it works on practice
No one hear is crying out for buffs lmao and no one here that mains the character is saying he is complete dogshit and crying about him. We all know what he can do and we are all still working on him ,What is wrong with discussion about the character ?