What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Guys, the J2 ender setup was never going to last anyway...I thought we knew that already. All you have to do is block low and look out for 28 FUCKING FRAME over head. That with B11+3 being punishable...it was never meant to last...

Skedar70

Noob
If you read a back dash after a j2 combo ender can't you go for the 22 1+3 string and catch them. Or the f2 into plus frames?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Am I doing something wrong? Looks like you can escape the f3 but the b1 is still connecting.
character dependent on the backdashes it would seem. Everyone I tested it with could get out both for free but I guess some people with crappier backdashes might still get tagged with the low.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Grodd is ass, but loads of fun to play. It is what it is.

TRG

Grodd God
Grodd is ass, but loads of fun to play. It is what it is.
This is really all that needs to be said.

Luckly I'm just an online warrior so having fun is more important to me in the long run.

I was a Shazam main after all so "fun but bad" is nothing new to me lol.

I think the one thing is that even after stampede cancels there's not a ton to do after, but agreed the pressure definitely does help. There's a good amount of potential in the character but it's gonna take a while to flesh out. Still feel his trait is being slept on

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I haven't tested it fully, but it's looking like B2 can be made safer or combo with trait.

Trait on against Superman...

You can hitconfirm B2~DD1

On block you can air dash backwards then fire off Psionic Blast. He can't easily attack you before you back dash in the air after DD1 thanks to block stun. However, he could dash on reaction to the air back dash and dash forward and do F23 and combo you. But if you air back dash then fire off Psionic Blast it catches him and you get a full combo.

I'm sure there are characters that can get a punish with projectiles, and probably other attacks but I havent fully tested. Could use some help with that.

On hit, you can land after Psionic Blast, dash forward and do another B2~Close Leap for full combo for like 410 damage into a setup. Not bad at all.

This is why we have to keep messing around with trait. Figure out how the fuck to use it. The fact that you can get like 500+ meterless damage with a wall bounce is probably reason enough to turn it on.

We can't just give up and say he's ass.

I know Silverfox mentioned Grodds Primitive Pound gear move, and how it might be a nice buff if he were to receive it in his base moveset.

The move is essentially just EarthShake from the first Injustice, but it doesn't cause a hard knockdown and can't launch for a combo if meterburned.

I messed around with it in the lab, and even though it's -14, the pushback is enough that I could barely punish it with Bladams f1. The mb also jails and seems to do a hefty amount of damage. I tested it with a level 20 no gear Grodd against a level 20 no gear Scarecrow. On hit the mb did 243 damage, and just to check I compared mb Stampede with comp. mode on and off against the same scarecrow, and each time it did 103. So it's safe to assume that the Primitive Pound would still do roughly 243 damage meterburned if it was in his base moveset. And it mostly jails. 11 Primitive Pound, 2 Primitive Pound, d2 Primitive Pound and d1 Primitive Pound will be backdashed out of but 22, b2, f2, b1 and the third hit of s3 all jail.

If he were to recieve this in his default moveset, it would actually help this character immensely. It'd give him a (mostly) safe ender to strings, and give him the ability to do some decent meterless damage without the need of b2. I know that it is early to be calling out buffs/nerfs, but as we all know, Grodd at this moment in time has a lot of issues, and I think adding this move to his base moveset would be a great addition to his character. Please give any feedback to this inquiry.

Edit: It also OTG's much like Goro's groundpound. But the timing is much more strict. I also haven't found a practical way to implement the OTG into a practical combo. (Note that these were tested with ScareCrow and Banes backdashes, and with d2, d1 and s1 the low hit would catch the backdash, however with Cheetah's backdash the low did whiff and she was able to completely avoid the attack.)

Last edited:
In regards to backdashing at the end of the reset, I just checked with Cheetahs backdash, and while both the low and overhead options do get beat out, 22 and b2 will both jail. So our reset that was once a 50/50 is now a 33/33/33 (unless you count the grab option). b2 after the reset will give you a meterless option to continue the vortex, but you'll have to commit to the leap unless you're a god at hit confirming. 22 will make you spend a bar, but will leave you unsafe unless you do a stampede cancel or a safe ender. b3 sadly doesn't have enough range to catch Cheetahs backdash (or supermans :(). So I guess we still have a vortex but it's somewhat weaker.

Maybe Grodd isn't be dead after all? :eek::eek::eek: