What's new

East Coast Throwdown Schedule and Discussion

Immortal

Blind justice....
When in doubt... pick Raiden/Cyrax. Stormcell...my god thats just...needs to go.

Splash played super solid.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yes!

People are complaining!

And for the first time in a long time, zoning is excluded. LOL.

I suppose Tweedy was right when he said that Raiden could be in a tier of his own.

The game may look as bad as Superman rinse and repeating f+2,3 or Deadshot spamming wrist shot if this stuff remains in the game.

Yes!

People are complaining!

I suppose Tweedy was right when he said that Raiden could be in a tier of his own.

The game may look as bad as Superman rinse and repeating f+2,3 or Deadshot spamming wrist shot if this stuff remains in the game.
They sent Superman to low mid tier and murdered deadshot only to release starfire later on lol and the complaining resumed all over again, nrs needs to be more careful with balancing.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Yes!

People are complaining!

I dont remember people complaining about zoning in MK X. This is pretty much the same. It's always either skewed towards pressure/chip or into zoning. History on repeat.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Most still aren’t FB’ing any of the Electromagnetic Storm hits. It is something you have to lab, but once people do that more often, Raiden isn’t gonna be getting so much chip damage.

Immortal

Blind justice....
People did complain about certain versions of Predator, Quan Chi, and Shinnok.
Lets be real, that was really mild(true in a sense, i remember that some variations of mentioned characters were zoning/annoying type) and nowhere near to the complain level about 50/50 and overal pressure in MK X. MK1 feels the same way just zoning is even less of a concern than it was in MK X.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Top 24:

Winners:

-Pulse vs Rewind
-SonicFox vs King Gambler
-TheMightyUnjust vs WiZEGEMiNi
-NinjaKilla vs Xombat

Losers:
-Splash vs Bdogg0100
-Bluelinkys vs Semiij
-Pluralmite vs BigDaddyG
-Destroyer vs Grr
-TurkeySucks vs Pure
-Titaniumtigerzz vs VideoGamezYo
-cease vs Kevo
-deo vs Matr!x

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Most still aren’t FB’ing any of the Electromagnetic Storm hits. It is something you have to lab, but once people do that more often, Raiden isn’t gonna be getting so much chip damage.
Who cares? He is advantageous and builds like 75%+ of one bar after every string.

Essentially, Raiden does what Aquaman did in Injustice 1 in terms of chip damage. Arguably even better. LOL.

Besides, Tweedy said that storm cell and EX storm cell have distinguishable flawless block timings.

Lets be real, that was really mild(true in a sense, i remember that some variations of mentioned characters were zoning/annoying type) and nowhere near to the complain level about 50/50 and overal pressure in MK X. MK1 feels the same way just zoning is even less of a concern than it was in MK X.
Fair enough, and I agree that this is what happens when you remove zoning from the meta.

Tournament has been great so far, definitely seeing the power of lao kameo, and of course cyrax. Really hoping we get to see less raiden/cyrax and johnny/cyrax or lao. The Baraka players that i happened to catch weren't playing very well. Was hoping to see some havik or reptile but its been really hype watching the shao players. Destroyer and especially the dude who almost took out sonic.

Really, really hoping grand finals doesn't come down to a raiden mirror lol

the only hit that isn't too risky to FB is the very last hit after which he's done 75% of the chip damage already

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Who cares? He is advantageous and builds like 75%+ of one bar after every string.
Besides, Tweedy said that storm cell and EX storm cell have distinguishable flawless block timings.
Well when probably at least 30% or so of the damage you’re taking is chip damage, I’d imagine the player losing to that would care.

Idk what “Storm Cell” is, assume you’re referring to “Electromagnetic Storm”. And yeah, I’m sure the timing is different between EX Electromagnetic Storm and regular. But you’re not FB’ing the first hit anyway. I mean you can, but not consistently unless you’re just making really good reads constantly.

The logic that you shouldn’t Flawless Block or that it doesn’t matter because he’s + and/or builds meter makes no sense.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
the only hit that isn't too risky to FB is the very last hit after which he's done 75% of the chip damage already
Maybe flawless block is not fully understood.. you don't just loose chip for the hit you block... you loose chip for the entire pressure "wave" AFTER the block.. as in you loose chip until the attacker eases up on the pressure. So a single flawless block during the storm would mean you would loose chip during the entire cyrax twirl thing and maybe even beyond that. It is underlabbed and not full understood yet.. but it IS the next phase of the meta and it works like this but details and specifics are missing still. Like how long a pressure wave is, when and why dose chip restart and stuff like that.

We actually saw this in pools when that smoke player was playing Jonny/Cyrax. When he was flawless blocking a jonny hit, mid string, not in a gap, and avoiding chip for all Cyrax and all the follow up pressure....

Once this is all labbed properly and then used the next stage of the meta is seeing the flawless block and going for the throw, as people will just block away... that will lead to throw breaks and attempted pokes.... etc etc.

It should be noted I have been labbing flawless block vs Baraka and some Jonny and not tried Raidan at all.... yet.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The logic that you shouldn’t Flawless Block or that it doesn’t matter because he’s + and/or builds meter makes no sense.
You have missed the point entirely.

Whether you flawless block or not, do you think Raiden/Cyrax players care?

They are still going to cancel strings and low pokes into storm cell, or whatever you want to call the move, because there is no risk to doing so.

There is a reason that Raiden/Cyrax is considered the best combo in the game.

Maybe flawless block is not fully understood.. you don't just loose chip for the hit you block... you loose chip for the entire pressure "wave" AFTER the block.. as in you loose chip until the attacker eases up on the pressure. So a single flawless block during the storm would mean you would loose chip during the entire cyrax twirl thing and maybe even beyond that. It is underlabbed and not full understood yet.. but it IS the next phase of the meta and it works like this but details and specifics are missing still. Like how long a pressure wave is, when and why dose chip restart and stuff like that.

We actually saw this in pools when that smoke player was playing Jonny/Cyrax. When he was flawless blocking a jonny hit, mid string, not in a gap, and avoiding chip for all Cyrax and all the follow up pressure....

Once this is all labbed properly and then used the next stage of the meta is seeing the flawless block and going for the throw, as people will just block away... that will lead to throw breaks and attempted pokes.... etc etc.

It should be noted I have been labbing flawless block vs Baraka and some Jonny and not tried Raidan at all.... yet.
what I'm saying is Raiden's 2421 string, it's too risky to FB IMO because you don't know when the Storm's coming, so you eat all that chip. Then the first 4 hits of the storm are too rapid to FB consistently so you eat all that chip. Finally there's the last hit of the Storm which is the best time to FB, and I understand you avoid the Cyrax chip after but you eat a lot before that point.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Unles you're playing some McDonalds Wifi Baraka player and he just teleports on the screen by moving, the 29 frames F3 is not a big issue online and pretty much doesn't exist offline. And yes you can get hit by it if you're not paying attention all the time but that's not an issue in offline tournaments.

The biggest thing that pretty much "deleted Baraka from competition" is lack of real pressure, like i said everybody now(high level players) know how to blow up his fake pressure (d,f2 into Cyrax) and why bother with him when Raiden/Cyrax or Cage/Cyrax is so much better. This is an offline tournament, people play to win. New("old") meta.
Agree fully with radien uses cyrax better than baraka.
No gaps.
Gets meterless combo while df2 or db1 dont.
Electro storm def harder flawless block than df2 baraka
Etc

However with baraka db1cyrax is still very good. Especially off 444/444444

Both of them without cyrax i think radien is the better character. Think kenshi,cage,radien have wider kameo choice range than baraka does currently

Last edited: