What's new

East Coast Throwdown Schedule and Discussion

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
So, they did 1 set and presumably stopped because of audio issues. This is the first time, since MK9, I've seen a tournament take this much time to resume because of something that is supposedly simple to fix. :coffee:

skahwt

Noob
MK already has more than 2x the viewers than SF. That’s not including the the sub streams, which are more numerous than in SF.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Ninja is amazing but this Raiden/Cyrax BS just makes you don't wanna watch the set.
What are you going to do if the winner final is a Raiden/Cyrax mirror match between Ninja Killer and Sonic Fox? LOL.

MK already has more than 2x the viewers than SF. That’s not including the the sub streams, which are more numerous than in SF.
Not really that surprising considering that this event is not part of the Capcom Pro Tour.

Besides, SF6 has 200 more participants than MK1.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Baraka.... yeah the dream didn't last long.... Nice set thou.

And another Raiden set win........Yeah.

Last edited:
I think its pretty clear that both cryax and lao kameo needs to be addressed. The question is how long will NetherRealm wait to do something about it? I know people like to wait a while for balance patches but I think at this point its pretty clear both these Kameos are too good right now and I don't think any kind of Tech being discovered is going to change that.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
How does the "Escape Failed," throw work if there are no crushing blows? Is there increased damage on the throw?

Immortal

Blind justice....
When Cage fails...and Raiden is not enough....you die. :laughing:

No disrespect to Ninja, like i said he is an amazing player.

I'm pretty sure we gonna get a rematch in grand final.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Group e/regular sports of course is a whole other thing and shouldn't really be considered. It is a part of some individual sports, but definitely not all. Professional tennis has long had a ban on coaching during matches for example, but has since allowed some hand signals / very limited conversation in-between points, but the rule change has been really contentious. All of those sports that do allow coaching have similar issues that we're seeing ourselves, where the less-resourced or newer players just don't have access to the same sort of coaching - even if other sports have this issue, it's still a problem, and the fact that it happens outside of the FGC doesn't mean that we should be ok with it.

There's also something inherently not right about tournament competitors coaching fellow competitors. For coaching to be ok, even with the above issue, I think players would need to have a dedicated non-competing coach that only coaches them, to avoid conflicts of interest / collusion / any other shenanigans, it all just seems not in the spirit of proper competition.
I mean, boxers have coaches/corner men, UFC fighters have coaches/corners, racing sports drivers have whole teams of support.. I don't think it's more of an individual vs. team thing, I think it's just how sports in general work, with a couple of exceptions for very straightforward sports.

If people want to give each other advice, that should be fine.

I think its pretty clear that both cryax and lao kameo needs to be addressed. The question is how long will NetherRealm wait to do something about it? I know people like to wait a while for balance patches but I think at this point its pretty clear both these Kameos are too good right now and I don't think any kind of Tech being discovered is going to change that.
I'm optimistic they feel mostly the same way. It's quite clear they're doing just too much and it'd be smart to "love tap" them and see what happens.

Unfortunately, something that is often overlooked in these discussions, is that patching a game across multiple platforms, especially consoles, IS HELL. It costs a shitload of money and time for it go through QA for all the possible platforms, so that's why cross platform games tend to have one big patch rather than smaller adjustment patches (i think marvel snap has found a few ways around this being on mobile/pc, but we'll see if that extends into the rest of the industry).

Worse, by the time your patch is ready, it can be out of date, and then you just spent a bunch of money on a patch that is addressing concerns from a month ago.

It's more complex than that (they certainly can happen faster and I'm speaking third hand), but it is a huge factor. With that in mind, I'm still hopeful we'll get one soon since the QOL patch is already on its way. Maybe an announcement this week

I mean, boxers have coaches/corner men, UFC fighters have coaches/corners, racing sports drivers have whole teams of support.. I don't think it's more of an individual vs. team thing, I think it's just how sports in general work, with a couple of exceptions for very straightforward sports.

If people want to give each other advice, that should be fine.
How many corner men are people they'll be fighting next week? How often do they get to just extend the match because someone decided to talk longer or a crowd buddy came up and gave advice? How often do they beat their opponent and then go fight the guy who just gave them advice 10 minutes ago?

And team sports like football/racing are already a completely different beast. It's already not 1v1 and many of the same arguments still apply. You can't just have someone jump down from the crowd and start calling plays because they were an ex player and know what's going on. You have to be registerd and on the team to be involved in the play. Not just some buddy.

The vast majority of digital sports do NOT allow "non players" to participate because it's been shown to be detrimental. A major example has been team sports like dota/league/hots/csgo, where the addition of a "coach" who's allowed to watch over your shoulder can completely change what skills the game is testing. There is a limited stack of information a human can process, and it gets a lot fucking easier when you've got a coach watching your minimap over your shoulder to call out things you wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

In a 1v1 competitive game I want to know who the best player is. Not the strongest support group If you labbed the matchup, great. If you didn't, well I hope you can adapt. If you can't, you deserve to lose, not get your ass pulled out of the fire because your buddy comes over and tells you some OS you weren't aware of, or gives insight into patterns he noticed while you were getting your ass kicked. It's literally giving an advantage to the people who are already in the community.

Alternatively, if you're going to allow it, fine. Lets give 5 minutes between every match for people to look up tech on twitter and hop into training to lab it. Why stop at "who has the most friends".

Edit-

Ill also accept "you have to register your coach, they're on your team, and they cannot compete". None of this "oh shit I got eliminated in pools so i guess i'll go give advice to my buddy" bs.