What's new

East Coast Throwdown Schedule and Discussion

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You have missed the point entirely.

Whether you flawless block or not, do you think Raiden/Cyrax players care?

They are still going to cancel strings and low pokes into storm cell, or whatever you want to call the move, because there is no risk to doing so.

There is a reason that Raiden/Cyrax is considered the best combo in the game.
And? What does that have to do with anything? You’re not FB’ing to discourage them from doing it, you’re FB’ing to not take a needless amount of chip damage.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
About that Baraka/Cyrax stuff. Tbh at this point I'm pretty convinced that Baraka is at best, at the end of the Top 5. S-Tier would be Raiden/Cage/Kenshi. A-Tier would imo be Ashrah, then Baraka 5th, again, at best.

Why? Because he just isn't nearly as good as the S-Tier above now that we play the game better. I've gotten enough offline Baraka exp now and the experience is night and day. The problem is ONLINE, where he gets away with a lot that is murder offline. A lot of his gaps or pressure is significantly easier to counter offline. His 50/50 is fake offline as it's very easy to fuzzy as well as punish the low high, but online it works you're like fighting Batgirl's 50/50 in some connections. With Ashrah I can full combo punish some of his main setups before they get rolling with Flash Parry but I can't do it online consistently and get hit sometimes. He is just in a later stage of Sareena, where at first Sareena was "OMG so OP", now she is a "really good kameo".

When you look at the real S-Tier, Raiden/Cage/Kenshi, they don't have the weaknesses that Baraka has, aren't as reliant on one single Kameo, and have equal or better strengths. Things like Kenshi's 10/10 Sento pressure or Raiden's absurdly ridiculous variable Cyrax call-out timing is all real. There's actually no point to play Baraka/Cyrax if you can just play Raiden/Cyrax, so by definition they can't be in the same tier.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Props to Deo.. Nitara has no projectile and has less health, so he had to be super patient in approaching Ashrah, and he was. With her f2, d2, and Sareena kameo Ashrah can be difficult for most of the cast to approach anyway, and Deo took his time, didn't rush anything. Just patiently set up the low hat and was picky about when to move and when to rest.

Well done man. Regardless of how far he gets, he's made a statement already with a character that a lot of people have written off.

Immortal

Blind justice....
It isn't unles you play Reiko, coz you know a brawler/grapler should have the best projectile in the game, makes total sense. :DOGE

I feel like only in this community you are going to see people complain about a character only to complain even more about another character using the most effective strategy to beat them, so many whiners in chat calling rewind a spammer after complaining about Johnny being too stronk.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I feel like only in this community you are going to see people complain about a character only to complain even more about another character using the most effective strategy to beat them, so many whiners in chat calling rewind a spammer after complaining about Johnny being too stronk.
chat is toxic as hell... the youtube chat is even worse. it is nothing but bitching, saying the game sucks and that the players suck... i can not look at it. The best option is to watch the raw stream and load a chat from a watch party from another streamer like K&M, Slayer, R1p or Foxy or something. As actual MK fans hang out there and the chat is much better. You want to watch the raw stream though so you get the commentary instead of the streamer talking all over it constantly.

The best bit was the chat going on for hours and hours for Ninjakiller to get on stream, and then when he did he picked Baraka/Cyrax and they collectively had a fit.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I'm going to avoid the site for a while, as I plan to download the finished vod from youtube and watch it after the fact. Sunday is Monday for me so I will be at work.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Full Top 24/16 character selection. / means somebody switched mid set, will be updated with few remaining games in losers(if needed):

Cage, Cage, Cage, Cage, Cage/Raiden
Lao,
Mileena,
Rain,
Tanya,
Smoke,
Geras, Geras
Raiden, Raiden
Shang/Ashrah,Shang
Kenshi, Kenshi
Nitara
Ashrah
Reiko
Rain
Liu Kang/Havik

Lets see how this gonna translate into top 8.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Full Top 24/16 character selection. / means somebody switched mid set, will be updated with few remaining games in losers(if needed):

Cage, Cage, Cage, Cage, Cage/Raiden
Lao,
Mileena,
Rain,
Tanya,
Smoke,
Geras, Geras
Raiden, Raiden
Shang/Ashrah,Shang
Kenshi, Kenshi
Nitara
Ashrah
Reiko
Rain
Liu Kang/Havik

Lets see how this gonna translate into top 8.
We still have some losers matches to go in Top 24.. But so far there are only 6 characters we haven't seen yet.

so does geras get something that's better than breaker for just 1 bar? what's the downside of rewind, you might get punished if you rewind to a bad time?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'm still trying to understand this. Baraka is not the monster character many people make him out to be, but I'd imagine he'd be a solid pick for top 24... Not a single one to be seen is weird.
Well, to be fair, the best Baraka player is not present at this tournament.

Raiden/Cyrax aside, the character diversity is good, especially for the initial version of the game. The kameo diversity, on the other hand, is really bad. According to data thus far, Cyrax and Kung Lao, respectively, have almost been used as much as the rest of the kameos combined. LOL.