What's new

East Coast Throwdown Schedule and Discussion

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
That was an epic match. Even though it was Cage vs Raiden.

Who y’all got? SonicFox or NinjaKilla??

I personally think SF is gonna take it, which is a safe bet of course.

I actually want NinjaKilla to win to make a point about Raiden, as if that point hasn't been made already.
Main points sure looks like:
Cyrax/Lao are a problem.
Rain was downplayed
Kenshi/Baraka were overhyped.
Raiden/Cage probably need a look in addition to lao/cyrax.

Legit forward dashed and d1'd to make a crossover jump whiff and punish. That was obscene lol. That's Flash speed force level shit

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So imo there was a lot of talk about broke stuff going into this tournament, but it turns out that some of the strongest stuff in MK1 is fundamentals:
  • Whiff-punishes
  • Micro-backdashes
  • Micro ducks
  • Movement in general, footsies/etc
  • Patience, patience, patience
Watching Ninja and Sonic just move back and forth for about a full 8 seconds, respecting each other and not wanting to stick the normal out that gets whiff punished made that clear. This was not the crazy rushdown fest of MKX with ninja just shoving things in Sonic's fact one after the other. The players who could calm down, tighten up, and make few mistakes came out on top.

Great event, and really fun matches to watch!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Awesome Mortal Setplay 1 Grand Finals!

Although I’d be lying if I didn’t say that this was a fairly boring tournament. At least in any match that had Raiden or Cage winning (or that had Cyrax), which was A LOT of matches, lol. It has nothing to do with the competitors, they all played amazingly. Just with all the setplay, Cyrax, and Raiden & Cage = the same looking matches over and over.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
is it me or did Shao not get the sub armor a couple times there. maybe visual bug
I thought I saw that too.

On another note, Rewind was suspiciously dropping easy combos. I believe that the charging pain knee has variable hit stun based on my testing.

Speaking of dropped combos, Ninja Killa probably could have reset the series, but you have to give Sonic Fox lots of credit for winning with Rain, a character that everyone thought was trash (and arguably still is without Cyrax. LOL.)

rifraf

Noob
Some takeaways from the Tournament:

The game is super fun to watch.
Character upsets: Nitara, Shang Tsung, Shao got some solid representation. Baraka, Kenshi not picked as much as expected.
Cyrax and KL are the most popular Kameos in competitive right now.
Raiden and JC the most popular characters in competitive right now.
Flawless Block is going to be massive in competitive in the future.

Considering "bottom of the barrel" characters like Nitara and Shao have been able to compete, I would say we should think twice before start asking for nerfs. There are lots of characters and Kameos in the game that could use some buffs instead. I wouldn't want to see all the "top characters/kameos" be destroyed next patch.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Sonic Fox lots of credit for winning with Rain, a character that everyone thought was trash (and arguably still is without Cyrax. LOL.)
He's trash without Cyrax and might be in the NRS' crosshairs for potential nerfs because of Cyrax, which royally sucks. I really wished Sonic would win with somebody else.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I mean, boxers have coaches/corner men, UFC fighters have coaches/corners, racing sports drivers have whole teams of support.. I don't think it's more of an individual vs. team thing, I think it's just how sports in general work, with a couple of exceptions for very straightforward sports.

If people want to give each other advice, that should be fine.
The same problems around accessibility are there for all individual sports like martial arts sports, and racing sports aren't individual sports - and I know you're not calling sports like tennis straightforward ;)

Ultimately the more I think about it, while I do think the accessibility thing is a problem and makes coaching up for discussion, I'll hear the argument of "other sports do it so its ok," even though allowing something for the sole reason that it's status quo in other similar things is silly. However, I think having competitors acting as coaches for other competitors is a complete non-starter for the reasons I already stated, and that dynamic also isn't present in any other sport.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The same problems around accessibility are there for all individual sports like martial arts sports, and racing sports aren't individual sports - and I know you're not calling sports like tennis straightforward ;)
Tennis?

Coaching is allowed.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Tennis?

Coaching is allowed.
I mean that's literally what I said in a previous comment, not sure if you're reading them or cherry picking individual things/arguing for arguments' sake.

It was just approved in a very recent rule change, and it's relatively controversial. The coaching is even further restricted in Grand Slams, which are equivalent to ECT / the pro tour for us. Coaching is more robust during team and/or doubles tournaments like Davis Cup. The coaching itself its very limited and is more akin to someone from the crowd at a FG tourny yelling "XYZ has a gap in their string!", and if they do too much/take too long there are penalties.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I honestly feel like talking about that makes 0 difference anyway.

Players who go to tournaments and play should decide on that and as far as i know/heard many of them talked about it - majority either support coaching or don't mind it, so imo that's that.