What's new

East Coast Throwdown Schedule and Discussion

No doubt about the difference between online and offline, but I was also thinking about Viennality having more Baraka, too. Raiden definitely seems like the better of the two. tho Probably better just to compare the meta based on Viennality being two weeks in vs. a month+ for ECT
I’m honestly terrified of more raidens playing keep away like Turkey did to Kevo that was hard to watch.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Probably better just to compare the meta based on Viennality being two weeks in vs. a month+ for ECT
This 100%.

People learned since Viennality how to deal with Baraka. He has no real pressure, almost every character can blow up his d,f2 into Cyrax pressure. There are no such easy outs of Raiden or Cage pressure. So this is the meta now.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Of the brackets/pools that have been played, here are the first 24 of those in the top 64. At least, this is the information I have for the ECT smash.gg brackets. I’m pretty sure more brackets/pools were played but they’re not showing up, so if anyone has any info on that, feel free to share it

Winners:
-Pulse
-TheMightyUnjust
-Vyletz
-Bdogg0100
-Titaniumtigerzz
-TheWayneNumber1
-KingGambler
-BigDaddyG
-Splash
-UnbearableSkill
-TurkeySucks
-Matr!x

Losers:
-Alcatraz
-iGRUESOME
-imblackjames
-WideTurn_FGC
-Scar
-Jer
-Grr
-CalComet
-YoBoyRio
-Joystick
-MisfitxPanda
-Kevo

So if the website is correct, there’s 10 brackets left, so 40 more players to go to finalize the top 64. I’m sure they played at least one more brackets/pool but again, I don’t see that on the brackets or website.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
People must be watching different streams.... No roster slot was over represented. Sure some had 3 instead of 2 but almost the entire cast got on stream.
Correct me if I'm wrong cause I was on and off the stream, and every time I got back it was 90% Johnny/Raiden/Smoke/Kenshi/Baraka. I think there was one Rain, Sub Zero, Geras somewhere in there but I didn't see any Kitana, Sindel, Tanya, Reiko, Nitara, Havik, Li Mei unless I missed it?

Immortal

Blind justice....
There were no Baraka players(outside of one game of a set) on stream, same as many other characters. There were like 2 Kenshi and 2 Smoke, 1-2 Geras players.

Majority of streamed sets included either Raiden or Johnny, often both.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Because you can actually react to his overhead and fuzzyblock b3 offline. Alotta Baraka players are getting away with murder because of latency issues.
Unles you're playing some McDonalds Wifi Baraka player and he just teleports on the screen by moving, the 29 frames F3 is not a big issue online and pretty much doesn't exist offline. And yes you can get hit by it if you're not paying attention all the time but that's not an issue in offline tournaments.

The biggest thing that pretty much "deleted Baraka from competition" is lack of real pressure, like i said everybody now(high level players) know how to blow up his fake pressure (d,f2 into Cyrax) and why bother with him when Raiden/Cyrax or Cage/Cyrax is so much better. This is an offline tournament, people play to win. New("old") meta.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Raka got deleted in seconds by Samij. That was like the fastest Baraka deletion i've ever seen. :D Samij Mileena looks amazing as always.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Baraka is a myth... even online once people are used to him, he is going to be a non issue. Well... as new kameos come out anything can happen really. So maybe not.

Jynks

Raka got deleted in seconds by Samij. <snip> Samij Mileena looks amazing as always.
what was really interesting is that the very next match had Mileena as well... and it was like night and day after seeing Samij

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The Baraka/Cyrax downplay in here is really strange. And it’s coming from people who I don’t even think main/use Baraka. The thing is, a lot of people have been able to lab the MU, since there’s a ton of Baraka/Cyrax players. So he’s not going to really be able to do stuff you haven’t seen, unless he uses a random Kameo or something.

Jynks

The Baraka/Cyrax downplay in here is really strange. And it’s coming from people who I don’t even think main/use Baraka
That is because downplay comes from people who play against Baraka and see how easy it is to disrupt his pressure. I'm not saying he is free, but I would rather face Baraka than Ashara, Tanya, Raiden, Cage, Kenshi... I mean as far as "fear" goes, he is way down the list of problems imo.

Immortal

Blind justice....
There is no downplay, Baraka is good just as people learned how to blow up his pressure he is less of a problem. You can't get out of pressure so easy vs Raiden, Cage, Kenshi - Cyrax and as is stands current meta in MK1 is pure pressure.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There is no downplay, Baraka is good just as people learned how to blow up his pressure he is less of a problem. You can't get out of pressure so easy vs Raiden, Cage, Kenshi - Cyrax and as is stands current meta in MK1 is pure pressure.
You literally just said earlier that “Baraka has been deleted from competition”.

And as far as ECT not being filled with Baraka/Cyrax, we’ve seen several Baraka’s on stream today. But also, not every match is streamed. I’m sure there’s a lot more than we’re able to see. RakaRax is super easy to learn and use, so I’m sure there’s plenty out there at ECT. If not mains, they have ‘em in their pockets.