What's new

Why Sub Zero Should Not Be Nerfed. The GrandMaster Speaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The overhead costs a bar and is always unsafe if you wanna combo. To say this is like MKX is a bit of an overreaction. He doesn’t have a lot of weaknesses but he can be abused a bit in counter poking. Like Cage will fuck you all day with his D4 and low profile your D1. Not saying Cage beats Sub but there are ways around it.

Sub is top tier don’t get me wrong, character is amazing but come oooooon.

What if there was a Sub-Zero player who also plays Scorpion, like myself? Neither Scorpion nor Sub-Zero are cheap in this game, but I will tell you that Scorpion can be made to have more 50/50 mix-ups than Sub, he gets 40% for 1 bar, 38-39% off an anti-air (S3/S4), has the same obnoxious pokes that Sub-Zero has and not only has more mids, but they also hit from further ranges.

Yet, Scorpion is still not cheap and neither is Sub-Zero; Sub literally has only the overhead and the low (and slide if equipped) as mix-up options and of those options, two of them are full combo-punished if blocked. None of his other strings have any kind of low/overhead components for anyone to worry about. Don't get me wrong, Sub-Zero is a great character in this game that is powerful in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing, but saying that he's cheap because he can alternate between a 19-frame overhead that is indeed reactable in an offline setting (and still easily scouted in ideal online conditions) and a safe low that must be hit-confirmed into serious damage is a cognitive distortion of the highest proportions. The low has much shorter range than the overhead, so if the Sub player is at distance and is about to attempt a mix-up, it's likely going to be the overhead.

If Sub-Zero is really the bane of MK players' existence like many people claim that he is, then we should see him dominating the tournament scene, along with 'cheap-ass Scorpion'. But alas, we do not. It seems every time a tournament player picks up Sub-Zero and uses him in a competitive setting, they come up short - and we're talking about former EVO champions and mainstay Top 8 medalists here. Perhaps it isn't Sub-Zero or his users that are the issue here...allowing Sub-Zero players to be in range of his low starter and overhead option would seem to indicate a loss in the neutral. Sub-Zero - and Scorpion - can seem insurmountable in an online setting, but with a little bit of lab-work, patience, determination and a mastery of a decent character, their limitations become apparent.

The only normalization that Sub-Zero should get is a severe reduction in hit advantage on his standing 2 and on his B14 and B32 strings, so that Sub players can no longer freeze an opponent and then 50/50-loop them to death. There is much more to the character than that stupid loop and he will still be a great character without it. He needs no other nerfs of any kind, except perhaps to his ground freeze move because in the move's current setting, it creates a perpetual 50/50 loop situation off any hit-confirm. That move needs a complete re-work, but that's about it for Sub nerfs.

By the way, this is a reply not just to SwiftEagle, but to anyone and everyone who boldly proclaims that Sub-Zero is this unbeatable mix-up machine that destroys everyone with safe 50/50s. He is no such thing - he has exactly 2 50/50 mix-up options, one of which is full-combo punished on block. Good Sub-Zero players know this and thus do not rely on said 50/50s to win. They have to use their other tools to win, which is what you all should be doing also. Play a decent character against players in a wired, low-ping connection and get an actual decent neutral game and you will find the Sub-Zero match much easier, I promise.

I'll be damned if I sit idly by and watch perpetual complainers get a good character needlessly nerfed D'Vorah-style due to fake news about safe, unreactable 50/50s and a lack of lab work.
You can't react to Scrub-Zero's overhead, even if you see it coming. It purely comes down to reads and if you 'feel' like he's going to do it. Against somebody who knows what they're doing it's impossible. His low string also counters wakeups, like everyone else's for some reason.
Scorpion, Geras, Sonya, Erron Bleck, Jacqui, Cassie, Liu borderline Baraka but possibly not. Sub is top 10 I won't take that from anyone but you'd think he was Takatan Alien at her release the way people are reacting.
We all know how powerful they are. And by the way, Baraka has an unblockable, mid screen move. It's not even like a command grab where you have to get close. How would you counter something like that as Johnny Cage? Why is that allowed in ranked sets?

seanpon

Noob
At least most scorpion players are honest and know that he's broken and braindead. Sub players are even worst bc the down play from them is ridiculous. That 50/50 vortex is clearly broken, sub also has good neutral, and the one of the best counter zoning in the game. He is clearly S tier along with scroprion, geras, sonya, erron. He clearly will be nerfed next patch, this isn't MKX where we play 50/50 guessess all day, MK11 wasn't designed to play like that shit hole.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
While I do understand people who are trying to justify SZ's strings,specials etc (because I would do it too for the character/characters that I play)however, at the moment he is too strong. Yes his low/oh mix-up is punishable but there also characters who have some mixup (My main skarlet) which however lead to a knockdown (except only her low combos in the corner) and she is punishable as well.Sub 0 gets full combos from his toolkit. Why can't skarlet get that then?
At the moment he has:
Zoning on his own with an ability (my opinion the most braindead thing).
Counter zoning
Good neutral
Good damage
Amazing mix ups
You can't have a character that does EVERYTHING while others are limited to 2 or 3 of the things I listed. That's why people (like me) are saying he is almost broken. He just does everything. Yes he is punishable but you know there are so many more characters that are punishable as well on their main combo starter?
And no, online his mixups are NOT reactable unless you make a read.

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
I can’t wait for Sub-Zero to get nerfed so you guys still lose to him in the exact same manner you are now, I’m excited for people to get exactly what they ask for, and then find something else to cry about, I get a halfie just thinking about it.
tbh it would be a repeat of the last 2 MK games... SZ starts the game at either high or top-tier and by the end of it he's mid-low or worse due to overnerfing, meanwhile I bet Scorpion is gonna come out of it fine like he always does (except Injustice 1, but pretty much everyone agrees he was absolutely destroyed in that game). Plus, balance changes should only really be based on how competitive players can adjust or react to stuff since they are more likely to be experts on the character. Just because someone has issues doesn't mean others have the same problem

While I do understand people who are trying to justify SZ's strings,specials etc (because I would do it too for the character/characters that I play)however, at the moment he is too strong. Yes his low/oh mix-up is punishable but there also characters who have some mixup (My main skarlet) which however lead to a knockdown (except only her low combos in the corner) and she is punishable as well.Sub 0 gets full combos from his toolkit. Why can't skarlet get that then?
At the moment he has:
Counter zoning
Good neutral
Good damage
Amazing mix ups
You can't have a character that does EVERYTHING while others are limited to 2 or 3 of the things I listed. That's why people (like me) are saying he is almost broken. He just does everything. Yes he is punishable but you know there are so many more characters that are punishable as well on their main combo starter?
See... I don't get this mentality. Most of it, anyway. I mean the 50/50 is whatever. I hate 50/50s. I quit MKX early because of them. And I almost never play DoW variation in this game. I kind of want the DoW 50/50 to be removed to take SZ off of everyone's radar before they nerf stuff on him that I do enjoy. But literally every one of the top 5 or so characters in this game has a 50/50 that is as good as or better than Sub's. So if you hate it so much, do you want them removed from the game altogether? Or is it just his for some reason?

And other than that, what's wrong with Sub having a lot of good tools? None of them are even remotely broken. Most of them aren't even the best of their kind in the game. Do you want the power ceiling brought down that much that even really-good-but-not-broken stuff is too strong? Or could we just buff other characters' tools that have proven to be mostly useless or underperforming?

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
ya'll really need to stop this fucking bullshit that "YEAH YOU CAN EASILY JUST FUCKING REACT TO A 19 FRAME OVERHEAD LOL"
I didn’t say it was was easy, but it is reactable. I’ll upload a video of me doing it. I’ll put on a random pattern in training mode in all 4 slots and set the play back to random so I never know what pattern is coming next and I’ll show you it is reactable. I may get caught maybe a couple of times but not that much. And I’ll make its a true mix up by also incorporating throws. I have no reason to lie.

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
If they nerf 50/50 Sub what will they give him to compensate?

Is there any chance he'll be a defensive character again in the future?

Endeavor

At the moment he has:
Counter zoning
Good neutral
Good damage
Amazing mix ups
He stands right now as a “jack of all trades” character. However he is master of none. He does everything but he loses to character that specialize in one field. You aren’t going to see SZ out zone Kabal or Centrion, just like your not going to see him out rush down Jax or Baraka. It’s strange honestly seeing the kind of backlash. None of what this character has is new or particularly strong. My only question for all the SZ needs to be nerfed is this how many are you all losing to this character in a OFFLINE setting, and how many pro players are asking for the character to be nerfed. For all of the crying I have not seen any top or even high level tournament competitor ask for him to be nerfed. Even when I watch locals I see the character doing well but NOT winning the event. As I have said before, the mix is OD online that is a read. But everyone has their opinions. Combo breaker is coming up soon let’s see if the character mixes everyone out of their shoes at high level and then let that speak for itself.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
If they nerf 50/50 Sub what will they give him to compensate?

Is there any chance he'll be a defensive character again in the future?
They won't really need much to compensate. He has some of the best footsie tools and walkspeed/dashes in the game. He has good counterzoning with ice ball.

I'm in the don't nerf him camp btw, but he'd be fine is b32 was slightly more negative on block for example.

He stands right now as a “jack of all trades” character. However he is master of none. He does everything but he loses to character that specialize in one field. You aren’t going to see SZ out zone Kabal or Centrion, just like your not going to see him out rush down Jax or Baraka. It’s strange honestly seeing the kind of backlash. None of what this character has is new or particularly strong. My only question for all the SZ needs to be nerfed is this how many are you all losing to this character in a OFFLINE setting, and how many pro players are asking for the character to be nerfed. For all of the crying I have not seen any top or even high level tournament competitor ask for him to be nerfed. Even when I watch locals I see the character doing well but NOT winning the event. As I have said before, the mix is OD online that is a read. But everyone has their opinions. Combo breaker is coming up soon let’s see if the character mixes everyone out of their shoes at high level and then let that speak for itself.
Bro no offense but this is hilarious downplay. First off, he excels in neutral. He has some of the best movement speeds in the game. His D4 is arguably one of the best in the game, his shoulder/slide are great whiff punishing moves. Claiming Sub can't rush down characters is dumb because he has the best movespeed to do that with, not to mention his vortex and 50/50s.

Sonic fox is the biggest proponent of sub being nerfed and he's arguably the best player in the game right now (He did say the same in MKX though tbf). It is also silly to try and use tournament results, especially when almost no one is saying there aren't characters better than Sub.

P.S. sub beats Baraka, not unwinnable but still. This is after playing hundreds of games vs. him offline and the sub players I play with agree with me, FWIW.

Last edited:

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I didn’t say it was was easy, but it is reactable. I’ll upload a video of me doing it. I’ll put on a random pattern in trading mode in all 4 slots and set the play back to random so I never know what pattern is coming next and I’ll show you it is reactable. I may get cause maybe a couple of times but I’ll not that much. And I’ll make it a true mix up by also incorporating throws. I have no reason to lie.
Literally reacting to that in training mode means absolutely nothing. Why do i need to explain this? There are so many constant aspects in a match to look out for. Is he going to shimmy high/low/grab mix me up when i get knocked down.. What is the player going to do when i block a f+4? Is he going to frame trap me or go for mixup. This is fundamental stuff in gameplay where you can't just throw it training mode and go "IT'S REACTABLE".

Reactions: JTC

Endeavor

They won't really need much to compensate. He has some of the best footsie tools and walkspeed/dashes in the game. He has good counterzoning with ice ball.

I'm in the don't nerf him camp btw, but he'd be fine is b32 was slightly more negative on block for example.

Bro no offense but this is hilarious downplay. First off, he excels in neutral. He has some of the best movement speeds in the game. His D4 is arguably one of the best in the game, his shoulder/slide are great whiff punishing moves. Claiming Sub can't rush down characters is dumb because he has the best movespeed to do that with, not to mention his vortex and 50/50s.

Sonic fox is the biggest proponent of sub being nerfed and he's arguably the best player in the game right now (He did say the same in MKX though tbf). It is also silly to try and use tournament results, especially when almost no one is saying there aren't characters better than Sub.

P.S. sub beats Baraka, not unwinnable but still. This is after playing hundreds of games vs. him offline and the sub players I play with agree with me, FWIW.
Once again I’m not saying the character is bad. What I said was that he does not excel at any one thing hence “jack of all trades master of none” NO ONE least of all me, would say something dumb like he can’t rush down when the character has mix up. He has an amazing neutral game. As for mkx, Sub was dumb. I’m not going to deny that at all. 50/50 plus grab into ice clone and half life shatter combos was ridicules. But my point was the character DOES do EVERYTHING but DOESNT do everything better than the character specializing in that field. He can’t out rush down Jax and Baraka. That doesn’t mean he can’t beat them or take games off them, that means he doesn’t not excel in the up close game in the same way they do. In that way to beat them he has to play and force neutral. Just as if he is fighting Centrion he has to go in and stay on top of her. His D4 is 11 frames and -9. And I’m not saying anyone is saying that there are not better characters what I’m saying is the most complaints come from the fact that he has a 50/50 and that in an offline setting that overhead is 100% reactable. Will you get hit by that overhead sometimes even offline, YES. Will it catch you sleeping at the wheel a couple of times ABSOLUTELY. Is it unreactable? NO. It’s obvious the character is strong and has strong tools. I never once said he didn’t. I never once said that his tools are bad. He straight up is strong. My point is that he isn’t broken. Online you 100% are going have to guess point blank period. I get Overhead by him in the mirror ALL THE TIME. But when I play offline that doesn’t happen. I block it and he dies. Do I block it 100% of the time FUCK NO but I am able to block it 85-90% of the time.

Last edited:

Endeavor

Literally reacting to that in training mode means absolutely nothing. Why do i need to explain this? There are so many constant aspects in a match to look out for. Is he going to shimmy high/low/grab mix me up when i get knocked down.. What is the player going to do when i block a f+4? Is he going to frame trap me or go for mixup. This is fundamental stuff in gameplay where you can't just throw it training mode and go "IT'S REACTABLE".
And In that regard your absolutely right. So let me ask you this. If they took away amp ice ball and let’s say he only got slide or shoulder would you have to work about those situations any less? Cause I also play Superman in Injustice, who also has NO overhead and you still have to watch out for those situations when fighting him as well. When I say it’s “reactable” I mean the visual que is large enough and apparent enough for you stand an block it. That 100% is true and not a lie. And that is the purpose of RANDOM REPLAY. I make 4 different sequences of mix up situations in training mode for as long as it will let me record. I set them all to play at random so I can’t know the next mix up coming. I’ll even throw in grabs. Honestly and I speak for only myself gabs will open me up a lot faster than his overhead. And yes I’ll still get hit by the over head sometimes but not very much. As I stated the visual que is obvious enough to where I can see it and stand. But I might have confused people so I’ll say thing I am not so much reacting to the hit itself I am reacting to the visual que of his overhead. And while it is fast it is distinct enough and slow enough to react to.

DarkSado

Noob
Once again I’m not saying the character is bad. What I said was that he does not excel at any one thing hence “jack of all trades master of none” NO ONE least of me, would say something dumb like he can’t rush down when the character has mix up. He has an amazing neutral game. As for mkx, Sub was dumb. I’m not going to deny that at all. 50/50 plus grab into ice clone and half life shatter combos was ridicules. But my point was the character DOES do EVERYTHING but DOESNT do everything better than the character specializing in that field. He can’t out rush down Jax and Baraka. That doesn’t mean he can’t beat them or take games off them, that means he doesn’t not excel in the up close game in the same way they do. In that way to beat them he has to play and force neutral. Just as if he is fighting Centrion he has to go in and stay on top of her. His D4 is 11 frames and -9. And I’m not saying anyone is saying that there are not better characters what I’m saying is the most complaints come from the fact that he has a 50/50 and that in an offline setting that overhead is 100% reactable. Will you get hit by that overhead sometimes even offline, YES. Will it catch you sleeping at the wheel a couple of times ABSOLUTELY. Is it unreactable? NO. It’s obvious the character is strong and has strong tools. I never once said he didn’t. I never once said that his tools are bad. He straight up is strong. My point is that he isn’t broken. Online you 100% are going have to guess point blank period. I get Overhead by him in the mirror ALL THE TIME. But when I play offline that doesn’t happen. I block it and he dies. Do I block it 100% of the time FUCK NO but I am able to block it 85-90% of the time.
85-90% though.

Endeavor

85-90% though.
I mean it’s still fast. But blocking something most of the time, and full combo punishing someone dissuades them to use it. So let’s say that your fighting against someone who can “react” to this, or if you say it’s unreactable someone who just guesses right a lot. You run your 50/50 it gets blocked. So as Subzero you just lost a bar of meter, and a chunk of your life. Now let’s say this happens repeatedly, almost every time you go for that over head, it’s gets blocked and you get hit. Now I don’t know about you, but me, I’d start thinking to use something else. Cause you wasted the meter, got punished and now amp iceball, a very powerful tool even outside his 50/50 just got taken out of your arsenal cause once you use up both bars that is what it is. Plus you lost ex shoulder to tak on damage if you do get the hit. Now I’m sure you’ll hit them with it a couple of times, I’m sure you’ll score that dreaded high damage overhead combo that leads into the vortex that everyone fears, but again I ask, so you finally hit him with it. He finally got opens up by it but in the last 7 games you have played, he only ate that overhead 4 times. And those happened to be the games you won. So you opened him up 4 times in 7 games....that means you still lost 5. And in an tournament setting, where it’s now best of 5 or first to 3 however you want to put it, do you really think you’ll mix that guy to death with that overhead before he sends you to losers or send you home?

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
“His overhead is uNrEaCtAbLe!”
-reacts to it in the lab-
“That doesn’t mean aNyThInG!”
-is -15~19f on block-
“He shouldn’t have an OvErHeAd at all!”
- literally every character: hop 1/2-
“But those are tRaSh!”
-all faster than i19, deal good damage-
“His VoRtEx is too strong!”
-15% at best, fuzzyable-
“f4 is WaY tOo StRoNg!”
-28f start-up-

I think I’m gonna start going to other threads saying dumb shit and see how they handle it. “Kotal has a half screen hit confirmable mid! NRS plz nerf right away! Kano can dodge my projectiles AND hit me with an overhead at the same time?! This is ridiculous!”

seanpon

Noob
nder how you'll enjoy
And In that regard your absolutely right. So let me ask you this. If they took away amp ice ball and let’s say he only got slide or shoulder would you have to work about those situations any less? Cause I also play Superman in Injustice, who also has NO overhead and you still have to watch out for those situations when fighting him as well. When I say it’s “reactable” I mean the visual que is large enough and apparent enough for you stand an block it. That 100% is true and not a lie. And that is the purpose of RANDOM REPLAY. I make 4 different sequences of mix up situations in training mode for as long as it will let me record. I set them all to play at random so I can’t know the next mix up coming. I’ll even throw in grabs. Honestly and I speak for only myself gabs will open me up a lot faster than his overhead. And yes I’ll still get hit by the over head sometimes but not very much. As I stated the visual que is obvious enough to where I can see it and stand. But I might have confused people so I’ll say thing I am not so much reacting to the hit itself I am reacting to the visual que of his overhead. And while it is fast it is distinct enough and slow enough to react to.
alright if your reacting to all of sub zero's mix ups on your couch, go win a tournament

Endeavor

Actually you Know so I have a question let’s say they nerf to over head make it idk 22-25 frames enough of time to react. Then they make it so that his strings have less hit advantage, so he can’t loop the situation, and even better AMP ice ball no longer hits mid and oh wait f4 now on +2 instead of +4, Then is he acceptable cause if that happens I can live with that. Honestly at this point the thread is mute. Most people want him nerfed which is lbsh what will and is going to happen. If he get toned down to what I mentioned above and he’s still killing people will he still be op? And even if he gets nerfed into the ground, we all know in 3-6 months NRS will do what they always do. Release a DLC character for 5 or 6 bucks and that character will have everything SZ has right now and more and they will run the meta until the game dies. Don’t tell me or yourself different cause it’s happened in every single game they have made since MK9 till now except for MAYBE injustice 2. Idk I stopped playing after Enchantress was released.

Last edited:

Endeavor

alright if your reacting to all of sub zero's mix ups on your couch, go win a tournament
So now all you have to do to win a tournament is react to subzero’s overhead cause there are no other characters in the game, there are also no other game mechanics, and also skill means nothing just learn to block all of subzero’s mix and the game is won for you hands down. Thanks for the tip guy, now that I know the only character in the game Subzero I’ll de-throne sonicfox win evo and retire with all of your money before they announce or drop the second character for the game.

Actually you Know so I have a question let’s say they nerf to over head make it idk 22-24 frames enough of time to react. Then they make it so that his strings have less hit advantage, so he can’t loop the situation, and even better AMP ice ball no longer hits mid. Would he be oh wait f4 now on +2. Then is he acceptable cause if that happens I can live with that.
So nerf basically everything good about the character?

Status
Not open for further replies.