What's new

Why Is MK11 So Rage Inducing?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm gonna keep it all the way live, out of all the fighting games I've played, And Uncle JBeezY has been playing video games since the OG Nintendo, this is the most rage inducing fighting game I've played ever! I been looking at random MK11 streams, going on twitter, and people feel the same way. Why is that? Is it because we wanted soooo much in MK11 because we waited years for a new MK? Is it because the online is just....not great? Are we way too competitive in this game instead of just enjoying it? Sound off in the comments.

Let's have a discussion.
lol I feel the same way, haven't gotten this angry at times playing since Deception and even that game I felt had more consistent BS lol at times. IDK, I have a love/hate relationship with MK 11. It's fun to play but at the same time has a ton of wonky shit in it. I just realized you remind me of Bob from Becker haha, always referring to himself in the third person.

It's not the game we know. Fighters come in basically two types, SF and MK. They know what the need to succeed just like us......except when it gets turned into something new. Look at Street Fighter vs Tekken. There were so many ppl complaining that future possibility became 0. Mk is a high speed kick the guys balls through his skull game. Or it was anyway. Now we're basically Injustice 3. Alot of us find it difficult to learn a brand new game style. After MK9 I felt cocky and decided to play SF (horrible idea), I got stomped endlessly because I had no clue how to get good. You mix all that with the fact that MK personifies violence and you got a combination waiting to blow up.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Armored free Fatal BLOWS

I think the game focuses on things that cause anger. Frustrating throw game. And an infuriating large distance between characters like injustice. Projectile hitboxes are much higher so you cant jump over them on a read. Opponents always have defensive meter to break your launcher. etc

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Want to know the real reason why this game is so rage inducing? because it lacks any creativity and depth. I think mkx was a better game for a lot of reasons and before you say "LOL 50/50's" I play kitana in that game.

This game is literally find an abusive string and grab at random parts in between the string. It is not fun to deal with this because it becomes repetitive and boring. There are no defensive mechanics other then on knockdown other then fatal blow. Also for a game that is literally just strike/throw mixups half the time. Why do you need 50 million wake up options? I knocked you down, i should be at advantage not "OKAY BETTER GUESS IF YOU'RE GONNA ROLL FORWARD/BACKWARD/DELAY WAKEUP/WAKE UP U+3/WAKE UP U+2/ WAKE UP JUMP/WAKE UP GRAB"

Balance does not make a game "fun", balance can make a game very boring.

smoke420

Noob
1. BREAKAWAY - i just fucking hate it. why change this tho? i get punished after someone uses breakaway in the middle of my combo? wtf

2. FATAL BLOW - i just fucking hate it. why change this tho? xray was fine, use it once.. anytime.

3. THROW OP AF - I roll forward to cross opponent up, and he grabs be while im rolling at his feet ? i've done this so many times, and still get punished.

4. ABILITY CONFLICTS - i mean really ? they push custom variations, and i cant even pick the ones i want cause some require 2 slots? its fuckin bullshit. should be every ability is 1 slot, and we should be able to choose any 3. come on nrs, wtf were you thinking

5. where the fuck is smoke? i mean where the actual fuck is he dammit

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
Like it literally will say "KOUNTER" in the bottom of the screen when you throw someone out of a d3/d1/d2 in MKX.

That is the game telling you "You were in the startup frames of a low poke/move and the THROW hit you out of it"

But in MK11 it's suddenly a huge thing that throws "eat" moves
Agreed, I am so sick of seeing this complaint pop up in every thread...

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Staggers in this game feel worse than 50/50s from mkx lol... they took out most 50/50s and figured out how to still make a game based on guessing
It’s because NRS created a full game but only let us play 25% of it.
yup, gotta give the bad players some way to beat the players that put any sort of time and effort into the game right?

trying to close the gap between fighting game vets and newbies through game mechanics is a recipe for disaster. i really hope they don't go down that route -___-.

and as for guessing games, yah its pretty irritating, also lets not forget the Enhance / Don't enhance guessing game some characters have as well. Moves that would never have been safe before are now pseudo safe due to this, pls stop :rolleyes:.

and yeah thats why i spend a lot of time in Kustoms, more fun and you get to experiment with different stuff.

One thing about the fatal blows that some people forget is it's ideological purpose. It was designed to help players come back from near defeat. hold hate It's designed to help struggling players get around cheesy strings or a particular strategy. I'll use a personal experience as an example. The group tower that had Kabal as your enemy. I played with maybe 10 different teams, but we got our skulls caved. I had realized his attack pattern and exploited it. I die, next guy pops up and he knew my tactic, but didn't have the experience to use it fully. He finally got the rhythm down and ended Kabal. We weren't losing because he had a perfect strategy, we just hadn't figured him out yet. With that said the blame really falls on the community itself. We want easy wins, we want to lock our opponent down. So instead of learning to get better, we learned how to get more half assed wins. This is all my opinion though, so it's likely just as flawed as anyone else.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
thinking about it, the game almost feels kinda backwards, like why the hell am i more afraid of a character when i have the life lead and they're down to 30% or lower? It should be the other fucking way around, you have the life lead? they should be afraid of YOU!

Xzyj

Noob
-0 depth to most characters
-weak combo potential leading to less creativity
-fatal blows not being insta-death on block/whiff and recovering in both of those scenarios and costing 0 resources, why you can press 2 buttons to get armor during any random situation on reaction/prediction/because you were lazy? There's a reason why the most powerful moves usually have either very hard inputs so you can't just throw them out easily, or they have easy inputs and are very disadvantageous if you just do it lazily and randomly (tekken rage arts/unist VO)

but the most fucked up thing to me is that they want to please both casuals and competitive players yet fail at both somehow:
-default variations not being tournament ones(???????? WHY IS IT STILL A THING)
-no wi-fi filter online and 150 ping limit to decline, if you happen to get 140 ping wi-fi player, be sure it will be 180-9000 ping in game, have fun with random spikes everywhere and reacting to sub 50/50 (teabags after the match included, ty Derek for showing how people should play NRS games during belt matches)
-costume unlocks are fucked up and are a huge grind for 0 reason instead of something cooler like an achievement kind of unlocks
-no MMR deciding matches for the first 5-10 matches you play in KL so you avoid playing 1340193 scorpions that play from local bar for fun on a wi-fi or people who just picked up the game and wanted to get costumes from KL

Balance changes were really lazy after months of wait imo, i'm not too picky but it felt like they didn't do enough research during that time to actually make the game more interesting and unlock more variations (besides a couple of winners), fatal blows being untouched is fucking crazy to me as well.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I don't feel more rage induced at all. In fact I would say I feel less frustrated by it than most games.

I love Tekken and SC6, but you have to cram a lot of character data into your brain to not die to people just going nuts with a character pumped full of goofy. My brain can't remember anything without days of repetition, and I have to be hit by something no less than 1000 times to stand much of a chance remembering I've seen it before. It blows my mind every time I've hit somebody with a string they didn't know and then they learn on the fly and it never works again. Seems like an impossible thing for somebody to do, but I guess I'm just old and dumb so whatever.

At any rate, there are a lot of games that really dump the burden on you to know as much or more about the character you are fighting against than the player using them, to not get steam rolled by shenanigans. I think there is about a 3rd of the cast of SC6 I had no clue what to do about. At least 3 or 4 I never ever beat at all. In Tekken, why do I have to memorize all of King's throws to shut him out? Doesn't matter, you do. MK11 doesn't make me feel lost in ignorance and razzle dazzle. I still struggle with the LK f4 nightmare, and I can't fight off Kotal for whatever reason (ok the reason is I have no anti-tick throw game) but I most always feel like I know what is happening.

The higher than average number of input gremlins aside, I feel like my winning and losing is understandable and sits fairly on me. I lose a whole lot, but I don't have near as many "I have no idea what the f is Voldo doing, but I'm dead because of it," moments.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
they could nerf FB's by removing armor on a case by case basis. For example a move like Jax's punch or Kabals FB, Cetrions?? remove the armor. Slower ones or ones with shorter range get to keep the armor?

i dunno, what do you think?

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
The only thing rage inducing about this game is Fatal Blows. There are of course other things i don't like, but the only thing that gets under my skin is Fatal Blows.

Absurdly high meterless damage attached to super long animations and insane armored startup attacks. Like pre-patch Erron black and current Kabal getting to lock you down from basically fullscreen because they're losing smh.