What's new

Why Is MK11 So Rage Inducing?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
To me, this game is pretty fair. It's as fair as fair gets in the last 10 years. I never feel cheated out of almost any games I lost, and this is coming from someone who absolutely loathed how scrub friendly the game looked in month 1 ( and still is, just not as much as I thought ) and regularly raged on stream for the first month.

Stuff people call braindead are just really good. People just don't want to play footsies and don't want to blame themselves for losing or adapt in any way. It's very easy to have cognitive dissonance in a fair game when you've been conditioned the past few years that "I lost because of these damn 50-50s, I can't move against starfire, fucking quan chi keeps stealing my rounds".

Maybe it's time to admit that it's you, and that you're not as good as you think.

I saw a couple of examples in this thread, and I'm gonna refer to them Jax KB gives him 30% + Oki and he did it as a wakeup. If you know he has it, why wouldn't you cover that option specifically on wakeup? There's an old school saying where characters in SF2 that were otherwise garbage would take you in the corner and infinite you to death. You could complain about it, but what the healthy mindset was is "don't allow him to take you to the corner in the first place".

There's almost no char in this game that forces you to play so scared in the neutral that it's not a factor in you getting opened up. If someone is doing something "Braindead" on top of you in this game, it's because they got past 2-3 other things you could've done to prevent that situation from happening in the first place. Yes, LK might be top tier, and his F4 might be too good, but his range with normals is bad. You first lost neutral in order for him to get in.

Just look at some of the posts in this thread. D1 poke fests? Unable to punish people pressing after pokes? Some of you guys are still stuck on week 2. By month 4 of the game, you should know your character's options vs D1 and what you can jail after your own counterpokes.

"You're guessing just as much in MK11"

Strike/throw. Has literally existed in every single fighting game to grace this earth. It's the most basic of pressure. You can't seriously complain about even this. Strikes hit for damage, throws do 14%. Learn to take a couple and tech a couple. Here's some knowledge on throws which I can count on one hand the instances in which I've seen then written here.

Throws are 50-50. They are, but if you're in the corner, where is someone going to throw you? In. It's no longer a 50-50. 99% of players will throw you in.

"But they made the 50-50 read and did a backthrow" And now you took 14% and got out of the corner. You took 14%, probably don't have to face any oki, and now you no longer have to deal with being cornered. Did you know most chars have no oki from their throws? Their pressure ends there. The ones that do, most often only get a meaty normal, not throw afterwards. You can safely roll from that.

Did you also know most people tend to do F. throws because they're dashing towards you and still holding F? Or that they tend to go for their KB throw direction after an escape failed?

Throws are 50-50 in the highest level of play. For the rest of the 99%, players are following VERY obvious flowcharts. Notice them and evolve out of it.

But hey man, if you don't like it, there's other games to play.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the game rage-inducing due to its gameplay. I really hate how SLOW the UI is. Yeah, hold it for three seconds on the victory animation, then tick down the rewards separately, then press a button, slow fadeout, skip intro, etc. When I enter a fighting game I want to go online and fight, I don't want to wait for it to check the servers for how many coins I have, what's in the premium shop today, if my inventory changed from the last time somehow. And if I pause the game to upload a vid from my ps4 I have to relaunch the game entirely.

But IMO the biggest reason I get annoyed is how predictable it is. If you go online you will predominantly see the same characters, and know EXACTLY what they will do. After two weeks of play you will meet an Erron Black or Liu Kang and know exactly what your opponent will do, sometimes in what order. Sub-Zero and especially Scorpion go there too. There are people who deviate from the norms, but those are usually people new to the game and characters.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
To me, this game is pretty fair. It's as fair as fair gets in the last 10 years. I never feel cheated out of almost any games I lost, and this is coming from someone who absolutely loathed how scrub friendly the game looked in month 1 ( and still is, just not as much as I thought ) and regularly raged on stream for the first month.

Stuff people call braindead are just really good. People just don't want to play footsies and don't want to blame themselves for losing or adapt in any way. It's very easy to have cognitive dissonance in a fair game when you've been conditioned the past few years that "I lost because of these damn 50-50s, I can't move against starfire, fucking quan chi keeps stealing my rounds".

Maybe it's time to admit that it's you, and that you're not as good as you think.

I saw a couple of examples in this thread, and I'm gonna refer to them Jax KB gives him 30% + Oki and he did it as a wakeup. If you know he has it, why wouldn't you cover that option specifically on wakeup? There's an old school saying where characters in SF2 that were otherwise garbage would take you in the corner and infinite you to death. You could complain about it, but what the healthy mindset was is "don't allow him to take you to the corner in the first place".

There's almost no char in this game that forces you to play so scared in the neutral that it's not a factor in you getting opened up. If someone is doing something "Braindead" on top of you in this game, it's because they got past 2-3 other things you could've done to prevent that situation from happening in the first place. Yes, LK might be top tier, and his F4 might be too good, but his range with normals is bad. You first lost neutral in order for him to get in.

Just look at some of the posts in this thread. D1 poke fests? Unable to punish people pressing after pokes? Some of you guys are still stuck on week 2. By month 4 of the game, you should know your character's options vs D1 and what you can jail after your own counterpokes.

"You're guessing just as much in MK11"

Strike/throw. Has literally existed in every single fighting game to grace this earth. It's the most basic of pressure. You can't seriously complain about even this. Strikes hit for damage, throws do 14%. Learn to take a couple and tech a couple. Here's some knowledge on throws which I can count on one hand the instances in which I've seen then written here.

Throws are 50-50. They are, but if you're in the corner, where is someone going to throw you? In. It's no longer a 50-50. 99% of players will throw you in.

"But they made the 50-50 read and did a backthrow" And now you took 14% and got out of the corner. You took 14%, probably don't have to face any oki, and now you no longer have to deal with being cornered. Did you know most chars have no oki from their throws? Their pressure ends there. The ones that do, most often only get a meaty normal, not throw afterwards. You can safely roll from that.

Did you also know most people tend to do F. throws because they're dashing towards you and still holding F? Or that they tend to go for their KB throw direction after an escape failed?

Throws are 50-50 in the highest level of play. For the rest of the 99%, players are following VERY obvious flowcharts. Notice them and evolve out of it.

But hey man, if you don't like it, there's other games to play.
Top tier comment my friend.
Scrub Haters gonna hate

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I'm pretty sure nobody rages when they win.

So rages only happen when you lose.
Now we have to ask ourselves, are there any fighting games out there where when we lose, we don't rage?
Why is that? What's the difference?

I'd say we rage when we feel "cheated" by the game. A sane person would never rage when they clearly know it was their fault they ate that 50%.

So why do we feel cheated by MK11 and not by other games that much?

I never saw people rage in Samurai Shodown, or Tekken/Soul calibur. Killer instinct is the most clean game I ever saw, and there when you lose it is always your fault because you always have options that you can do and you know them. You can't rage there as you would be raging on yourself.

Which means MK11 has a lot of situations where you feel cheated. Meaning there are situations where regardless of your skill or decisions, the game just screws you over.

There are some reasons why this can happen:

1. You don't use a top tier, and you feel cheated that you need to do 300% work to win as opposed to your top tier opponent who just plays leisurely.
  2. You play online, and you get mashed through your plus frames even though you knew mathematically it was your turn
  3. You get shafted by the game's random hitboxes that hit behind, or they get scrambled and you end up getting through your opponent when you shouldn't have, so he gets up and 50%s you for free
  4. You guess wrong a lot on throws, shimmys, mixups, and lose. Guessing wrong 3 times in a row and insta losing the round is very frustrating.
All of these are pretty legit imo, and I think they are the most rage inducing causes in this game. There's not much you can do except take'em like a man.

However, when you think you are the best mk player ever and everyone else is a scrub, and you lose and rage, then you deserve it fully.

some of you guise seem to play too much online. thats rage inducing factor nr1.
daddy takuma would like to encourage you kids to play more offline! not just for some events here and there but consistent.
find local players and meet them in a location or at home regular once in a week for grind and casual play.

fighting games are offline games.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
I'm pretty sure nobody rages when they win.

So rages only happen when you lose.
Now we have to ask ourselves, are there any fighting games out there where when we lose, we don't rage?
Why is that? What's the difference?

I'd say we rage when we feel "cheated" by the game. A sane person would never rage when they clearly know it was their fault they ate that 50%.

So why do we feel cheated by MK11 and not by other games that much?

I never saw people rage in Samurai Shodown, or Tekken/Soul calibur. Killer instinct is the most clean game I ever saw, and there when you lose it is always your fault because you always have options that you can do and you know them. You can't rage there as you would be raging on yourself.

Which means MK11 has a lot of situations where you feel cheated. Meaning there are situations where regardless of your skill or decisions, the game just screws you over.

There are some reasons why this can happen:

1. You don't use a top tier, and you feel cheated that you need to do 300% work to win as opposed to your top tier opponent who just plays leisurely.
  2. You play online, and you get mashed through your plus frames even though you knew mathematically it was your turn
  3. You get shafted by the game's random hitboxes that hit behind, or they get scrambled and you end up getting through your opponent when you shouldn't have, so he gets up and 50%s you for free
  4. You guess wrong a lot on throws, shimmys, mixups, and lose. Guessing wrong 3 times in a row and insta losing the round is very frustrating.
All of these are pretty legit imo, and I think they are the most rage inducing causes in this game. There's not much you can do except take'em like a man.

However, when you think you are the best mk player ever and everyone else is a scrub, and you lose and rage, then you deserve it fully.
Except players do rage if they win. If they barley survived and despised the way the opponent was playing, they won't hesitate to let them know via t bag, pm or mic.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
Maybe the better question is, "Why are you so angry?"

Yeah, fighting games are frustrating sometimes, and I think that's because, unlike most genres, most FG losses are our own fault, which isn't something video games usually make us deal with.

Obviously, unrelated factors like lag are their own frustrating beast.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Want to know the real reason why this game is so rage inducing? because it lacks any creativity and depth. I think mkx was a better game for a lot of reasons and before you say "LOL 50/50's" I play kitana in that game.

This game is literally find an abusive string and grab at random parts in between the string. It is not fun to deal with this because it becomes repetitive and boring. There are no defensive mechanics other then on knockdown other then fatal blow. Also for a game that is literally just strike/throw mixups half the time. Why do you need 50 million wake up options? I knocked you down, i should be at advantage not "OKAY BETTER GUESS IF YOU'RE GONNA ROLL FORWARD/BACKWARD/DELAY WAKEUP/WAKE UP U+3/WAKE UP U+2/ WAKE UP JUMP/WAKE UP GRAB"

Balance does not make a game "fun", balance can make a game very boring.
OMG SCREAM IT TO THE WORLD
I want to make sure the people in the back hear it!
I relate so much. Booted up the game for the first time, picked Kollector, did all his strings and saw that f12 had a long ass animation that could let me dial up anything because I had 50 years to react to the opponent's reaction. That string is his neutral, his pressure, and his god. Its his best string by such a large margin to the point that you dont use his other strings.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Jbeezy, is there a NRS game that you have ever liked? Honest question. You showed up here in I2, and only ever shit on that game, now we're doing it again in MK11. Why are you here?
You can tag me next time :)

And yes, I liked IJ2 up the point the last DLC character, TMNT. Even though afterwards I got bored with the game, people like you always cling to the negative but forget the positive things I did during that run. I made numerous informative & combo videos to help others DLC characters as they come out also helping organize TYM KOTH sessions. So you saying all I did was shit on the game is very incorrect. Come correct when addressing me next time, k? Thank ya kindly ;)

First of this Crimsonshadow guy is the ultimate NRS dickrider every thread I've read he comes in with his cape on trying to tell mothafuckas what they actual feel and what they actual should think.

This know it all bitch needs to fall back and let people express themselves freely without all the condescending bullshit in return
As someone already mentioned, I feel like it is very easy to lose without feeling that you got outplayed in this game.

Like when Liu gets in and you are constantly guessing between strike and throw into his + frames, 9 frame mids, dumb staggers into mixups... it always goes like “well, I lost bc I thought he’d throw loop me, teched it the wrong way, then thought he’d throw KB me and he did a F4 KB into 50% in the corner” or “well, I tried to avoid his pressure the only way I could, by flawless blocking his crossover jk but he KB parried me into unbreakable 60%”. Or when Jax makes an 80% comeback on you after a raw Fatal Blow. Or Sub 50/50ing you to death everywhere. Sonya 50/50 fatal blow into the losers bracket...

Overall, I feel like this is a more honest game than previous titles, but the effect it has is that it makes the outlier characters seem more bs than they would be in past games.

Another thing that makes me salty about this game is that it is mainly a ft2 and the characters that have the full “ft2boyz” kit like those I mentioned above tend to make the games hella stressfull and unpleasant, bc you are not exclusively relying on your skills to play the game, as at the moment you let your opponent play, no matter how good you are, you can always make the wrong guess.

^^^^^THISSSSSS 10000000000%

ZATA

Noob
I rage, even if i Win, F34 fatal blow with scarlett, and you are dead, fighting games needs to be hard AF. but in this game the reward sometimes is free: D2 KB, Fatal blows, Grabs with KB, anyone can do it, you don´t need a lot of time in the lab to land a combo after a D2 KB.

SeymorSlash216

Kahn Man
First of this Crimsonshadow guy is the ultimate NRS dickrider every thread I've read he comes in with his cape on trying to tell mothafuckas what they actual feel and what they actual should think.

This know it all bitch needs to fall back and let people express themselves freely without all the condescending bullshit in return

^^^^^THISSSSSS 10000000000%

@Qwark28 Hit the nail on the head

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
This game has nothing on MKX. MKX was so rage inducing Tom Brady destroyed his monitor,I went to sleep at 7PM once without eating etc. as far as frustrations go I think mk11 is fine . Injustice 2 was less frustrating because it was focused on defensive play more.
True story: I broke not one but TWO TVs because of MKX, both with chucked controllers within a fairly short period of time. The first one was sorta intentional, just bopped the controller right off the screen. It doesn't take much with flatscreen TVs.

The second one was completely accidental and only a week or two after the first incident, when I chucked a controller but very deliberately not in the direction of the TV. It hit something and bounced right up into the screen of the new TV I'd just bought to replace the first one. FML, for real.

I will say that in terms of the shit that pissed me off anout MKX (awful hitboxes, ridiculous projectile spam, far too many 50/50s, etc) mk11 feels light-years better. I haven't even gotten close to throwing a controller in 11 yet. :D

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
True story: I broke not one but TWO TVs because of MKX, both with chucked controllers within a fairly short period of time. The first one was sorta intentional, just bopped the controller right off the screen. It doesn't take much with flatscreen TVs.

The second one was completely accidental and only a week or two after the first incident, when I chucked a controller but very deliberately not in the direction of the TV. It hit something and bounced right up into the screen of the new TV I'd just bought to replace the first one. FML, for real.

I will say that in terms of the shit that pissed me off anout MKX (awful hitboxes, ridiculous projectile spam, far too many 50/50s, etc) mk11 feels light-years better. I haven't even gotten close to throwing a controller in 11 yet. :D
What kinda anger management issues do you have to break expensive equipment over a game? I have NEVER thrown or broke any of my property over ANYTHING before, let alone games. If something is causing you to rage that hard I would just stop playing for the sake of safety and your wallet.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
What kinda anger management issues do you have to break expensive equipment over a game? I have NEVER thrown or broke any of my property over ANYTHING before, let alone games. If something is causing you to rage that hard I would just stop playing for the sake of safety and your wallet.
I actually did, not how much longer I played but I ended up uninstalling it within the next month or so probably and never looked back. I was much better off for it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Some FB's in this game are hot garbage, I can't tell you how many times I've been stuffed by some stupid normal yet other times they go through just about anything. It depends on the character, Jade's and Raidens since I play them suck up close they both get stuffed badly. Jade's can be taken out with a fast normal or uppercut, Raiden's misses half the time. Some armor lol.

Then you have ones like Scorpion, LK, Jax, Sonya that seemingly go through anything. I'm also not a fan of the limit one super move per match, fuck that. Bring back Xrays with mega armor and no match number limitations. I also have to say after months of playing I think I prefer MK 9/MK X's shared meter of offense and defense and I am NOT fan of the wake ups in this game which are shit, once you run out of defensive meter if you get crowded or corner trapped may as well put down the controller. This was never an issue in the past MK games. Even the 2D era classics you could D3 or jump out of trouble. I really hope in the future NRS changes back to their more traditional yet simple gameplay mechanics, this game feels like it's trying to be SF and Injustice with MK skins. I don't like it. And don't get me started on the lameass staggers, jailing shit, stupidly fast pokes and inconsistent, stupid KB's where some characters get 2 or 3 per combo with juggle chances vs others like Raiden that suck or get no juggles.

I want to like this game but between the KL being broken, half the characters having broken, gimmicky bs and the newer gameplay mechanics. It's just not fun. I like how they ditched the run 50/50, run 50/50 but now it's stagger 50/50, stagger 50/50. Why do we need these gimmicky, dumb elements and just keep that shit raw oldschool or MK 9 style. Compare the amount of staggers in that game vs this game HA!