What's new

Why Is MK11 So Rage Inducing?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I'm gonna keep it all the way live, out of all the fighting games I've played, And Uncle JBeezY has been playing video games since the OG Nintendo, this is the most rage inducing fighting game I've played ever! I been looking at random MK11 streams, going on twitter, and people feel the same way. Why is that? Is it because we wanted soooo much in MK11 because we waited years for a new MK? Is it because the online is just....not great? Are we way too competitive in this game instead of just enjoying it? Sound off in the comments.

Let's have a discussion.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
maybe some players and some members of fanbase and MK FGC overall and in general, created a huge expectation over MK11 being the most balanced MK game so far, and so, they expect not losing too much in this game ..... :p

when happens, they say : WTF, isn't this game balanced ? the tier list having not that huge gap among the characters ? so, what the hell I'm keeping losing in a row to Geras, Scorpion, Erron Black and Liu Kang ? rsrsrsrs :D

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
It's always the wake up system that tilts the fuck out of me. Add lag on top of the variable timing on wake ups and it's just a shit show. I legit lose rounds and matches because I stop playing the real game and just try to get wake ups to come out.
It's so fucking tiring.

This game is much more personal when you lose IMO. Take Jax for example. I fought a Jax yesterday that woke up FB’d when I had like a 60% life lead, then from the resulting OKI I had to guess whether he would do his throw KB, or his f3 KB. I guessed wrong and 70% of my life was lost too a wake up FB and then a grab and I lost. It’s easy to lose in this game and not feel outplayed at all, that’s what so rage inducing to me.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I think its the aforementioned guessing games and strength of throws combined with just how long everything takes.

It's bad enough to guess wrong on the strike/throw mix and get tossed, but now you have to watch your character juggle dynamite for 5 seconds or get 3 limbs busted before you get to try again. Oops, wrong again? That's another canned animation.

Sonya or Kollector landed a hit on you? Okay, strap in for the long multi-hit specials used to end their combos.

Fighting Cetrion? Well, it's pretty likely you'll see her FB, so maybe take a sip of coffee during that cinematic.

Win the match? Okay, watch the winning cinematic, mash through the rewards, then wait a bit before the rematch/select fighter options come up.

I say this as someone who enjoys all the details on throws, FBs, win screens etc - they are all gorgeous, but just a little too long. FBs especially. It bogs down the game and when you're losing it's intolerable because you just want to run it back but you have to wait wait wait

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
NRS really emphasized how neutral- heavy this game would be, how it'd have less focus on 50/50s, and really pushed custom variations.

Then they gave multiple characters 'fuck neutral' tools and some characters a 50/50 chance of taking a third of your health for committing the cardinal sin of guessing wrong on a grab. And custom variations aren't legal in tournament.

Maybe starting in those places would help alleviate the frustration.

Yamborghini High

Live and Die by the Shimmy
Choosing your main out of a roster has always been one of the most exciting things about fighting games to me.

This is important bc its almost like you identify as the character in a way. Character loyalty has always been my policy and the best part about that is, that most fighting games allow me to express my unique fighting style.

Any UFC/MMA fan will know that there are at least a dozen strikers in any given division and it goes without saying that there are no 2 fighters that fight the same.

HOWEVER

MK11 is the most bland fighting game I have ever played.

The I2 trait system was very intricate for a game that was moderately received.

for example batman's and doctor fates traits. the amount of tech for those two characters alone was INSANE

mk11 however...

liu kang? F43 stagger
Erron black? B222 slide/scud shot
Jacqui? F3 feint grab/repeat

this mandatory mini game embedded within every character has ruined a lot of the fun for me. When playing against AND as.

so when I lose, im not frustrated bc I don't know the matchup. Because trust me, I know the matchup. We're dealing with literally the same shit no matter whose playing the character.

In other NRS titles I was able to say to myself after losing, "wow! that was so dope im not even mad"

Its hard to say that for this game tho when its just guessing the same shit over and over again

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Every fighting game is rage-inducing. There's been plenty of salt over SF5, DBFZ, etc. And you will find it all over Twitter, Twitch, Eventhubs, etc.

The truth though is that MK11 actually feels more under my control than a lot of games. I feel like when I lose, it's pretty clear to identify why, instead of getting hit with some insane 50% 50/50s or crazy setplay, which side? mixups, weird stance and corner glitches like Injustice, interactibles, etc.

The only thing that really grinds my gears completely is the Fatal Blows (fast, long-range, armored, with pushback, regenerates).

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I think its the aforementioned guessing games and strength of throws combined with just how long everything takes.

It's bad enough to guess wrong on the strike/throw mix and get tossed, but now you have to watch your character juggle dynamite for 5 seconds or get 3 limbs busted before you get to try again. Oops, wrong again? That's another canned animation.

Sonya or Kollector landed a hit on you? Okay, strap in for the long multi-hit specials used to end their combos.

Fighting Cetrion? Well, it's pretty likely you'll see her FB, so maybe take a sip of coffee during that cinematic.

Win the match? Okay, watch the winning cinematic, mash through the rewards, then wait a bit before the rematch/select fighter options come up.

I say this as someone who enjoys all the details on throws, FBs, win screens etc - they are all gorgeous, but just a little too long. FBs especially. It bogs down the game and when you're losing it's intolerable because you just want to run it back but you have to wait wait wait
This isn't my biggest issue with the game but this def contributes. When I'm getting my ass kicked I don't want to watch 10 seconds of animations I want to rematch and get on with the next round.

One major thing I think should be eliminated is Fatal Blows and throw-related KB's.
Over 1000 games in and I will still get angry after totally dominating someone only to lose to a FB. Yeah it's my fault but it's just such a bail-out move. Should be an option to turn that shit off.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I’m genuinely pissed they ignored Jax in the patches. Most brain dead FB in the game.
Apparently nobody really complained about him. But they should make his FB a high. But whateva...

Every fighting game is rage-inducing. There's been plenty of salt over SF5, DBFZ, etc. And you will find it all over Twitter, Twitch, Eventhubs, etc.

The truth though is that MK11 actually feels more under my control than a lot of games. I feel like when I lose, it's pretty clear to identify why, instead of getting hit with some insane 50% 50/50s or crazy setplay, which side? mixups, weird stance and corner glitches like Injustice, interactibles, etc.

The only thing that really grinds my gears completely is the Fatal Blows (fast, long-range, armored, with pushback, regenerates).
Of course every fighting game induces rage. Its fighting games. Uncle JBeezY has played practically all of them and see all the complaints/rage/shit talk about all of em too. But the thing is, I see it waaaaaay more in MK11 than any current FG out now. THATS the problem. There's a reason for that which is why I wanted to discuss it here so it can be identified. This is the era of patches so concerns from the fanbase can be heard to make this game better. If NRS cares enough. If not, then people will lose faith in the franchise. Our own people.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Apparently nobody really complained about him. But they should make his FB a high. But whateva...

Of course every fighting game induces rage. Its fighting games. Uncle JBeezY has played practically all of them and see all the complaints/rage/shit talk about all of em too. But the thing is, I see it waaaaaay more in MK11 than any current FG out now. THATS the problem. There's a reason for that which is why I wanted to discuss it here so it can be identified. This is the era of patches so concerns from the fanbase can be heard to make this game better. If NRS cares enough. If not, then people will lose faith in the franchise. Our own people.
I mean, that may be the way you want to see things -- but I've been here since MK9 and there was far more salt just in this community alone about Injustice and MKX gameplay.

And there's actually no comparison to the vitriol that's been heaped on SF5 since launch. I mean you have top players in front page articles on Eventhubs, the flagship Capcom news site, talking about why they don't like the game or it's luck and the skill gap is lower, etc. Their own stream monsters actively hate their game and rip it apart in the article comments.

Imo you're mainly trying to express your vendetta against MK11 (and you don't have to like it, that's fine) by trying to force everyone to feel the way you do about all fighting games.

FreshFromTheDeli

FrostFromTheDeli
Fatal blows recharging on miss.
Not all Krushing Blows created equal.
Poke meta.

Take your pick.

But i'll say the super meter being split into two is the reason. The person who has been knocked down has more options for waking up than the person who is standing to follow up on a knockdown.

The air breakaway is terrible compared to the combo break of MKX. Why try and fix something that isnt broke? If I land a hit and start a launcher, the opponent can time the breakaway to punish me in the middle of my combo string. Why am I being punished for doing a combo in a fighting game? All this creates is a guessing game on top of an already existing guessing game.