What's new

Why Is MK11 So Rage Inducing?

DeftMonk

Noob
theres a lot of shit in this thread I 100% agree with liike chars being so one dimensional and guessing games etc but for me the reason the game is so rage inducing is the amount of time spent playing it vs waiting to play it. I get a match on pc for ranked its not fast... then go through char select, stage select, loading etc.... Play 2 matches that most likely include at least 3 fatal blows and spend way more time waiting. In tekken you not only get to rematch until you guys decide ok done, but more importantly can lab while waiting for a match. The waiting in this game is a bit mucch imo.

The D1 is basically the "footsies" the game tries to lay claim to I guess. It's heavily involved because of limitations elsewhere of what you can do...and D1 still doesn't punish a lot of stuff.

Since the balance patch supposedly you're able to do more after a D1 hit...like say "jailing" into a string, even a high string. I haven't really noticed that difference online as of yet. Which means on block or hit, throw is basically all one can try to do anyways. If someone figures just throws are gonna happen...they just crouch and mash D2.

The whole hitting or mashing D1 after a string...I think that's a sign of the bad online and the questionable frame date design buckling under the net pressure. Kinda like when you block someone's D1 and you hit yours...and you get hit by a D1 or something else.
I’ve even gotten into the habit of d1ing after negative strings sometimes man, it’s terrible and I feel bad because I know it shouldn’t work and when the ping is great with my opponent it doesn’t and I get blown up.

Ggsyehggs.

theres a lot of shit in this thread I 100% agree with liike chars being so one dimensional and guessing games etc but for me the reason the game is so rage inducing is the amount of time spent playing it vs waiting to play it. I get a match on pc for ranked its not fast... then go through char select, stage select, loading etc.... Play 2 matches that most likely include at least 3 fatal blows and spend way more time waiting. In tekken you not only get to rematch until you guys decide ok done, but more importantly can lab while waiting for a match. The waiting in this game is a bit mucch imo.
I just don’t know what it is man, all I know is that aside from playing sets, playing this game feels like actual work to me for some reason.

In mk9 and mkx(I know, whatevs) I would give myself, say an hour to play and end up playing like 5 instead, wondering where I went wrong in life.

I do the same in this game and I’m like(damn it’s only been 15 minutes? :()

Literally like clocking in for work lol.

DeftMonk

Noob
I just don’t know what it is man, all I know is that aside from playing sets, playing this game feels like actual work to me for some reason.

In mk9 and mkx(I know, whatevs) I would give myself, say an hour to play and end up playing like 5 instead, wondering where I went wrong in life.

I do the same in this game and I’m like(damn it’s only been 15 minutes? :()

Literally like clocking in for work lol.
Ya oddly enough I know exactly what you mean. While playing mkx I would be like lol that is so wack haha stupid game...and q up again. Or I'd get 3 grandmaster subs in a row (as a-list cage) and be like lol what a dumbass game...:q's again:. Ive played so many fighting games for hours and hours but this game (while fun at first and it does so many things right)... just gets on my nerves with the one dimensional shit. I don't mind the jax ult into krushing blow but the amount of chars that have lots of options off 1 string is reaally boring.

Good point. I get mad before I even go into a match due to morons that sit there and jerk off at the arena select screen or character select screen, instead of just picking a character and a stage. I'm referring to casual matches, which are a huge pain in ass to begin with, because people just sit in the search que and never accept fights. It's like they turn their console on and sit there for hours until they're ready.
Ranked matches are good, because the game automatically picks the stage for you. But the time you have to pick characters is way too long. It should be 30 seconds tops to deter the idiots from wasting everyone's time. If you're that much of a try hard that you're going to "counter pick" like a jackass then use the hidden cursor.
I just leave after 30 seconds anyway if they don't pick. Not worth my time. I'll play against somebody that's confident enough in their characters that'll play any match regardless of the matchup.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Actively bashing the game :confused:
Why do you feel the need to ignore any good and/or useful things JBeezy has posted just so you can keep pushing this idea that he only bashes the games, or some shit like that?

Here's all threads by JBeezy: https://testyourmight.com/search/37622/

I went through all of the pages quickly to get an idea of the type of content he's been posting here since DAY ONE he arrived. Quickly you should notice that he's one of the only users on this site that has consistently started threads checking in on communities and even offering to talk to people who are sad, depressed, etc, so they have someone to talk to. Yes, there are also a lot of off-topic discussion and question threads, but I don't see this as a bad thing considering 1) this a forum for discussion, and 2) we have off-topic discussion categories meaning this type of content is allowed. Not to mention that NRS has a history with long periods of silence, so talking about random things during these periods make sense especially if it keeps the community engaged.

You'll also notice that despite all of the claims that JBeezy only talks shit anymore, that he actually does try to make productive posts. Here's one where he's asking feedback for his D'Vorah: https://testyourmight.com/threads/jbeezy-using-dvorah-analyze-me.70513/

Here's one about Sonic Fox's D'Vorah tech: https://testyourmight.com/threads/sonicfox-uses-dvorah-analyzing-tech.70499/

One about Kano tech: https://testyourmight.com/threads/kano-low-profile-tech.70907/

Then there's more threads for other games, like Samurai Shodown tech.

Post like these don't get as much attention though, because people would rather talk shit than actually learn or even help people and I think we can all admit that. JBeezy asks for D'Vorah help = not even 1 whole page of feedback. JBeezy says something negative about the game = 9 pages of arguing and claims that he's too non-productive and negative.

Once again, I don't agree with every opinion and hot-take JBeezy has posted. But making it out like he only bashes on the game, acting like he's new and he doesn't know what he's talking about, asking why he's even here, etc, is unfair and that's that.

Personally, I have to say that it's really annoying to have my point ignored just to get replies from multiple users that repeats the "BUT HE BASHES THE GAME" nonsense, but whatever.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Choosing your main out of a roster has always been one of the most exciting things about fighting games to me.

This is important bc its almost like you identify as the character in a way. Character loyalty has always been my policy and the best part about that is, that most fighting games allow me to express my unique fighting style.

Any UFC/MMA fan will know that there are at least a dozen strikers in any given division and it goes without saying that there are no 2 fighters that fight the same.

HOWEVER

MK11 is the most bland fighting game I have ever played.

The I2 trait system was very intricate for a game that was moderately received.

for example batman's and doctor fates traits. the amount of tech for those two characters alone was INSANE

mk11 however...

liu kang? F43 stagger
Erron black? B222 slide/scud shot
Jacqui? F3 feint grab/repeat

this mandatory mini game embedded within every character has ruined a lot of the fun for me. When playing against AND as.

so when I lose, im not frustrated bc I don't know the matchup. Because trust me, I know the matchup. We're dealing with literally the same shit no matter whose playing the character.

In other NRS titles I was able to say to myself after losing, "wow! that was so dope im not even mad"

Its hard to say that for this game tho when its just guessing the same shit over and over again
Just wanted to say great example and post. The analogy with MMA was spot on.

For me it's not about the game, it's about the people who play it. I've encountered toxicity before so it was no surprise that it's in MK11 too but maaan I've never thought that there are this many fu#king a$$h#les in this game. Losing is part of the game, being a stupid freaking toxic petty A-list a-hole is not. I don't mind a 1-2 loss if it is an intense set that is decided by the better reads but t-bagging after a lucky escape sets me off.

I've blocked all messages on PS4 in the MKXL era but a few weeks ago I still got a friend request with an offensive message in it. The only purpose of that 'request' was to get that message through. And I lost that match so why the effort? It doesn't matter if you win or lose, or if it's a close set or a sweep, some 'people' can't get the satisfaction unless they can brag, insult or infuriate you.

From now on I don't take friend requests (I have no good faith if I beat someone that he just wants to be sparring partners or say GGs), if I lose, I'll exit in that exact moment as my health bar vanishes and I won't even sit through your set ending Fatal Blow to let you t-bag or walk back during the whole Finish Him! window.

That's what this playerbase brought out of me.

MK 11 IS A TURN BASED FIGHTING GAME
It’s Rage inducing because The game is basically a CHESS MATCH. You spend all that time stuck in a match, slowly pecking away at each other, then the guy suddenly gets crushing blows, and hits you with some attack that takes far too much of You’re health, and then you loose. It’s too much time and energy invested into each fight so when you win, you dont feel victory, you feel REFLIEF lol this game is not fun. But hey it’s still a great game it’s just not fun. Plus the fatal blows the LAG, ZONERS, Scorpion spammers online and unbalanced characters it’s just infuriating.

B
For me it's not about the game, it's about the people who play it. I've encountered toxicity before so it was no surprise that it's in MK11 too but maaan I've never thought that there are this many fu#king a$$h#les in this game. Losing is part of the game, being a stupid freaking toxic petty A-list a-hole is not. I don't mind a 1-2 loss if it is an intense set that is decided by the better reads but t-bagging after a lucky escape sets me off.

I've blocked all messages on PS4 in the MKXL era but a few weeks ago I still got a friend request with an offensive message in it. The only purpose of that 'request' was to get that message through. And I lost that match so why the effort? It doesn't matter if you win or lose, or if it's a close set or a sweep, some 'people' can't get the satisfaction unless they can brag, insult or infuriate you.

From now on I don't take friend requests (I have no good faith if I beat someone that he just wants to be sparring partners or say GGs), if I lose, I'll exit in that exact moment as my health bar vanishes and I won't even sit through your set ending Fatal Blow to let you t-bag or walk back during the whole Finish Him! window.

That's what this playerbase brought out of me.
ro I had a match LAO and the guy was good but I still won. So he send me a friend request and turned on the CHAT so I’m thinking I found a friend. We start the private match amd 20 secs in he started crying about my fighting style! Starts talking crap, then disconnected! I was shocked! I was like bro are you serious right now?? These people ingrates and disgusting psychopaths. I only rage quit when the guy Is obviously zoning hard asf and doing fatalities like he’s an elder god. I’m not sitting around for that crap. You win I’m out. If I lose to an intense back and forth match, then I send a friend request cuz that was a fun match which is rare.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
MK 11 IS A TURN BASED FIGHTING GAME
It’s Rage inducing because The game is basically a CHESS MATCH. You spend all that time stuck in a match, slowly pecking away at each other, then the guy suddenly gets crushing blows, and hits you with some attack that takes far too much of You’re health, and then you loose. It’s too much time and energy invested into each fight so when you win, you dont feel victory, you feel REFLIEF lol this game is not fun. But hey it’s still a great game it’s just not fun. Plus the fatal blows the LAG, ZONERS, Scorpion spammers online and unbalanced characters it’s just infuriating.
Yes , last night I fought geras with shang . I did pretty well , here landed corpse drop , here throw , here punished something . you know small hits . Were just outplaying him . Then I made one input error and got hit with 40% combo . After it low sand crusing blow and yeah lost match . Some characters can delete ur health bar in seconds after you worker hard whole match . Yeah its rage inductng lol I feel cheated

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
It feels like chess where you have micro seconds to decide your next turn or else you will lose half your health bar. Sure, you may have spent two hours in the lab learning how to counter that one move but when you're put on the spot it's easier to get overwhelmed.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
-People don't handle losing well.
-People quit to easily
-People take competitive gaming too seriously and too personally.
-People act like assholes on this game all the time.

I've recently started to play the offline modes and I am having a much better time, and feeling more positively about the game. The people are the problem, not the game. Competitive gaming and stats tracking has removed a lot of fun from what was an entertainment medium. This is why people hate on modern games so much.

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
I got another way of looking at it too; the presentation sucks.

I just read 8 pages of people complaining about the mechanics, but if you know anything about fighting game history you ought to know the Mortal Kombat has always been mechanically inferior to most other fighting games. If you want all of these options, complexities, freedom of movement, deep gameplay, etc. Why are you playing Mortal Kombat when Guilty Gear is on the market?
This game is incredibly stale. That's the problem. We come to Mortal Kombat for the over-the-top stuff, and they played it way too safe with MK11. It just feels bare bones across the board, but we are on TYM so everybody has to pretend that it's all mechanical because that's a more "legit" criticism. Cosmetic complaints are for casuals. I call bullshit. You don't like this game because it's basic and boring at every level. Deal with it.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
It's always the wake up system that tilts the fuck out of me. Add lag on top of the variable timing on wake ups and it's just a shit show. I legit lose rounds and matches because I stop playing the real game and just try to get wake ups to come out.
It's so fucking tiring.
I run into this as well. Try to roll out 3 times In a row I just stand up and stance switch get deleted for it. It pissed me off so fucking bad. Or people who just MASSSHHHHH op I didn't connect d1d1d1d1d1d1 connected d1d1d1d1 fuck off you god damn scrub

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Yeah I have the same issues with the wakeup system. I'll go through periods where it's fine, no issues, then others where rolls just won't come out or, like you said, something will buffer and I'll get a goddamn hop attack or neutral jump instead.

-People don't handle losing well.
-People quit to easily
-People take competitive gaming too seriously and too personally.
-People act like assholes on this game all the time.

I've recently started to play the offline modes and I am having a much better time, and feeling more positively about the game. The people are the problem, not the game. Competitive gaming and stats tracking has removed a lot of fun from what was an entertainment medium. This is why people hate on modern games so much.
You are so right.

The plague of competition arrived in games and hence, as the priority is not having fun but beat the other guy because you have to be the best, there is no point on playing the game competitively.

kinger

Noob
Lol love this thread. It true that it enrages me as well. Besides the fact it's hard to anti air for me! It is the pokes that disrespect my plus frames cause I didn't d1 quite fast enough, when other characters don't have to down one and can just go into long reaching 9frames that lead into big combos that are easy to confirm. Timings on punishments are all quite different and can lead to huge annoyance when you can't punish properly. The block stun being so much different on punishable moves is quite annoying. Not having the reach to punish things unless you dash first. Some characters having much better staggers then you.

There are cultural and personal reasons for that, and, stuff in the game that makes no sense in a competitive game:

Personal

• people want to validate their strenght online, and when they lose, anger flourishes
  • Some people don't know how to lose
  • Problems in education
  • Mental health problems
  • Lack of love and compassion ( yes....this is an issue)
Cultural problems

- A culture that hijacks competition in a level that is not healthy. If you listen that if you lose you are a loser during all your life, how are you going to feel when you lose? Like a loser. That brings frustration and anger.

Problems in the game

• Jumps are free
  • Random fatal blows not reactable
  • Guessing game prevails neutral (even grab is a 50/50)
  • The defensive system is not good, rewarding always the random 50/50 guy, that don't even knows what a 50 50 is, and is just preasing buttons like forever.
  • Krushing blows that are unfair and random
  • Command grab for chars that are agile, good zoning, damage and 50/50s....dude....when I think about cg I think about zangief, not jax.
  • Moves that are so fast from far range that hits you out of nowhere.
  • Erron blacks big boot ( this move is the proof that the game is a joke competitively)
  • With all that being sad, ad lag sometimes and a game that set up people who plays neutral game to always being in a defensive position against ones who presses buttons.
Who thinks need to react, who presses shit are rewarded.
  • Hitbox problems
  • Even the punishes are weird, like, when a char is -10he should be punished, but somehow this is not consistent in the game and you become a target o spamming all day long. Aka noob saibot air tp.
  • Competitive environment indulcing in KL.
  • Toxic players all around (including spammers rewardes by the games bullshit)
And im not even counting the grinding and so on....