What's new

Whiteboi Wins Injustice 2 at CEO 2017

Actually this is the 1st top 8 i watch, whem I saw deadshots braindeadness I was like this game sucks, I guess he got patched, now the finals where actually hype, I really liked Scarecrow alot, Im giving it 2nd thoughts in buying inj2...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Cyber Sub Zero wasn't in MKX alone, lol. Remember he was tied to other variations. It was probably hard to individually balance all of them so that no one was bad or broke. And MK9 was a long time ago.

We should probably cut NRS some slack and give them credit for learning and improving over time :)
I agree I'm really impressed with the day one version of I2, credit where credits due.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Some people seem really unhappy with the characters and placings at the top 8. The strong legacy characters all made appearances to no one's surprise but characters like Green Arrow, Scarecrow and Joker should shine a nice light on the kind of diversity that might be possible at future majors for Inj2.

I highly doubt your main is going to get nerfed because of tournament placings unless there was already an inherent problem.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Actually this is the 1st top 8 i watch, whem I saw deadshots braindeadness I was like this game sucks, I guess he got patched, now the finals where actually hype, I really liked Scarecrow alot, Im giving it 2nd thoughts in buying inj2...
Deadshot didn't get patched, people just figured out ways to deal with him. Not everything in life that's difficult at first remains so after some patience, effort, and time. Also the Top 5 are way dirtier than Deadshot lol. In this case people realized that the perceived Top 5 (Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Black Adam, and Atrocitus*Darkseid) are more favorable match ups.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Why do so many people think that NRS makes sweeping balance patch changes based off of knee jerk reactions, tournament placings, or online warriors ranting on social media?

That's not how business / professional decisions are made. There's research, telemetry data, testing, discussion, and while user performance (at tournaments / online) is certainly looked into and considered, it's not the definitive end all be all. There's a structured process behind it.

Literally no competent company, agency, or organization makes decisions on a whim. Some of ya'll need to level up your adulting.
Uhh because before this game that's exactly what they did. Knee jerk balance changes have been a problem with MK9-MKX. They finally have learned from their mistakes and I've heard there won't be changes until after EVO.

The Highlander

There can be only one
In the words of the joker community watching the match. BOTH The commentators had absolutely no idea what they were talking about when it came to joker at all.

The fact sonic fox picked joker against forever king and beat him AGAIN was absolutely surgical and one of Fox's smartest moves. Fox beat king at WNF with joker and knew he wouldn't take the time out to learn the Joker MU. King clearly didn't know the MU and you saw it on stream. He got so frustrated he was dropping easy combos.

Joker, just like any other character, can completely expose you if you clearly don't know the MU. There was so many things king wasn't doing that he could have done but on the brink of elimination with all that pressure against a character you don't know and a player smart enough to throw that curve ball, what would you think would happen?

But either way, there goes any shot a joker getting buffed because they fanboys who know absolutely nothing about joker will say "wow I thought joker was bad? But Sonic fox beat king in a top 8 with joker. The Joker community sucks, they have a top 10 character and they don't even know it, he needs nerfs." All that will be said without anyone clearly having knowledge on the character and taking into account king literally got mauled for not knowing what to do.

As the joker community said last night....

RIP Joker
Can't just talk about it, you gotta make a (downplay thread) thread showing how to deal with the bullshit like the darkseid guys did.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
@Juggs I mean neither one of us works for NRS and only they can really speak to their inner workings / decision making around balance changes. The fact that they employ QA testers, support internal testing, data collection, feedback protocol, all that shit points to at least some degree of objective design changes.

I mean how could it not? Sure feedback from the public can call attention to stuff but I'm hard pressed to believe that a company trying to maintain profitability would allow public opinion alone to hold such tremendous sway over critical aspects of their product. Influence? Sure. Be the sole determining factor? Doubtful.

I mean shit man if you and I had a lemonade stand on the corner for $1 glasses of some tasty ass lemonade that sold well, would we drop the price down to $. 25 because there were some people down the block demanding a price drop because it's not sweet enough? It might make us look at the recipe closer sure, public perception can influence something potentially critical like a price point. At the end of the day though we're going to taste the recipe ourselves before we make any actual changes.

Last edited:

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Whiteboi won because of skills and his opponents not knowing how to properly deal with ScareCrow. Even then it wasn't like he completely shut down his opponents, he lost some and barely won some.

Scarecrow and atrocitus are fine the way they are.

Black adam, Aquaman, Batman, Deadshot, superman, harley and some other characters need nerfs. They just completely shut down their opponent's game.
Atrocitus is far from fine.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
IGAU Scorpion?
I'm only speculating but I think the water got muddied with IGAU Scorpion because it seemed like a lot of the QA testers NRS contracted were speaking out. So while it might seem knee jerk on the surface, it was also in response to what former/current QA testers were saying. I think there was a time sensitive push for changes too as I recall because it was right before EVO (or another huge major).

Again though I'm speculating.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
They better nerf Black Adam, Supermn, Aquaman, Deadshot and batman before evo.

Whiteboi won because he played brilliantly and his opponents didn't know how to deal with scarecrow. I seriously doubt he is going to make top 8 at evo with scarecrow alone

JTC

ABILITY TO FREEZE
That's not how business / professional decisions are made. There's research, telemetry data, testing, discussion, and while user performance (at tournaments / online) is certainly looked into and considered, it's not the definitive end all be all. There's a structured process behind it.
What I want to see is the data they have for releasing Aquaman or Black Adam at this state.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@Juggs I mean neither one of us works for NRS and only they can really speak to their inner workings / decision making around balance changes. The fact that they employ QA testers, support internal testing, data collection, feedback protocol, all that shit points to at least some degree of objective design changes.

I mean how could it not? Sure feedback from the public can call attention to stuff but I'm hard pressed to believe that a company trying to maintain profitability would allow public opinion alone to hold such tremendous sway over critical aspects of their product. Influence? Sure. Be the sole determining factor? Doubtful.

I mean shit man if you and I had a lemonade stand on the corner for $1 glasses of some tasty ass lemonade that sold well, would we drop the price down to $. 25 because there were some people down the block demanding a price drop because it's not sweet enough? It might make us look at the recipe closer sure, public perception can influence something potentially critical like a price point. At the end of the day though we're going to taste the recipe ourselves before we make any actual changes.
Sales matter the most upon initial release. This is why they also have the $100 version that comes with the 9 DLC in which we don't even know 100% who the DLC characters are. If everyone knew, and the character they were hoping for wasn't in it, they'd be far less likely to make the purchase.

After the initial launch period, any sales after that really comes down to competitive players. Not really sure how much profit they're even making off competitive players, but it HAS to be a very small percentage. And competitive players don't auto equal tournament players, and tournament players make up an even tinier percentage of their market.

So with that said, I'm nearly 100% positive balance patches have very little to do with an overall business strategy, and more of fan service so that people will in a sense invest in their products in the future. One of the reasons I believe the past 3 games had so many balance changes early and often was because they didn't plan on supporting these games long term, and just wanted to keep the games fresh for everyone. But these changes have been short sighted and have been knee jerk reactions. For instance, if they kept the same plan as the previous 3 titles, Injustice 2 would have already received a large balance patch by now.

Imagine if a character like Scarecrow, who was thought to be low tier, got a buff with our limited knowledge of what he was capable of? It would just create another unnecessarily good character. I think objectively speaking, only a few characters need changes right now. But even so it's still too eary to make an informed decision. Personally I feel Bladam does too much damage, Aquaman is too safe, etc, but nothing game breaking, just makes the game a little more boring to watch and play.

I can say a lot more but this post is already too long.

Tweedy

Noob
I'm here to point out that the only Superman that made top 8 is a top 3 Injustice player of all time and he(or Slayer who went to Superman once), won 0 matches with him in top 8.

Superman is not Black Adam or Aquaman at all.

Also 0 Supermans were in top 8 at Combo Breaker so he's not a repetitive snoozer character at all.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm here to point out that the only Superman that made top 8 is a top 3 Injustice player of all time and he(or Slayer who went to Superman once), won 0 matches with him in top 8.

Superman is not Black Adam or Aquaman at all.

Also 0 Supermans were in top 8 at Combo Breaker so he's not a repetitive snoozer character at all.
Have to be careful with this, though. Like, how many Atrocitus' won matches with him in Top 8? That doesn't really say anything about how strong Atrocitus is -- it's just how it played out this weekend.

You kind of need to collect information for a longer period of time, because the results from the first 1-2 events can be deceiving.

Tweedy

Noob
Have to be careful with this, though. Like, how many Atrocitus' won matches with him in Top 8? That doesn't really say anything about how strong Atrocitus is -- it's just how it played out this time.

You kind of need to collect information for a longer period of time, because the results from the first 1-2 events can also be deceiving.
I'm just saying. It's pretty obnoxious to put Superman in that "oh my god all you see is him and 2-3 other characters" sleeper tier when he's barely ever in top 8 at all.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm just saying. It's pretty obnoxious to put Superman in that "oh my god all you see is him and 2-3 other characters" sleeper tier when he's barely ever in top 8 at all.
Nerf Black Adam and that might easily change, though. Honestly if Black Adam ceased to be the go-to character when you're at a deficit, Superman might be next. It's hard to say who's better between him and AM.

Right now people are just looking for the easiest way out.

Tweedy

Noob
Nerf Black Adam and that might easily change, though. Honestly if Black Adam ceased to be the go-to character when you're at a deficit, Superman might be next. It's hard to say who's better between him and AM.

Right now people are just looking for the easiest way out.
In terms of representation when the cream rises to the top, Superman isn't close to Black Adam or Aquaman.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
@Tweedy 100% agree Supes isn't on the bullshit level of Aquaman and Adam, and has his fair share of losing match-ups.
However, nerfing Adam and Aquaman would definitely put him in top 3 with Batman and Attrocitus, but it'd be not AS bad since you can actually beat Supes without having to use Aqua or Adam.
Still, he'd be the next top pick

Tweedy

Noob
@Tweedy 100% agree Supes isn't on the bullshit level of Aquaman and Adam, and has his fair share of losing match-ups.
However, nerfing Adam and Aquaman would definitely put him in top 3 with Batman and Attrocitus, but it'd be not AS bad since you can actually beat Supes without having to use Aqua or Adam.
Still, he'd be the next top pick
I would need evidence other than "well if there's a patch and this or this happens, this will happen". Especially after Scarecrow just won a giant major by himself. TYM likes to talk like character tiers are damn near set in stone when they clearly aren't, outside of Black Adam and Aquaman.