What's new

Whiteboi Wins Injustice 2 at CEO 2017

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It is with great pleasure that I write this article about the wrap-up of this weekend's CEO 2017 event in Florida. This pleasure is for two reasons: firstly, it was amazing to watch the game shine this weekend. From the bottom of pools all the way to Grand Finals, this was an event rife with insanely close matches, scintillating upsets, and some of the most memorable moments of celebration we've seen in three years' time. Everyone who participated should be proud, and this is the kind of tournament that builds momentum for months to come.

But secondly, because of the story of what it took CEO's winner, Whiteboi, to get here. For those of you who may not know, Whiteboi was a standout Injustice: Gods Among Us player who found great success with his Doomsday during the peak of that game's tournament life. Throughout the life of MKX, he struggled a lot more, and generally had trouble finding his way to Sunday. And as recently as Combo Breaker 2017, he'd suffered the kind of disappointment that would saddle some players with a supreme loss of confidence.

But one of Whiteboi's great qualities is that he is not a quitter. He may suffer from periods of frustration just like everyone else; but he continues to grind it out. And I have personally watched him navigate this road from behind the scenes, with his own brand of humor and ebullient personality. In the space of two weeks' time, he made it from the brink of character crisis to the top of the Winner's podium at one of the most highly-attended Injustice events ever held. And he did it with a character that many had written off as not viable for high-level tournament play.

----------------

What happened tonight was not just good for this game; I believe it also sends an important message to our community as well. Every now and then, it's nice to have a reminder that we don't know everything; and that we still have much to learn. And it's this kind of opportunity that will keep the torch of excitement and discovery coming for weeks as we head toward EVO.

Friends, the Summer of Injustice 2 has begun -- and it couldn't be more riveting. It'll be a fascinating ride; and I'll see you all there :)

Injustice. Is. Back.

----------------

TOP 8

1) Whiteboi
2) MF Slayer
3) Echo Fox | Sonic Fox
4) Circa | Forever King
5) Theo
5) Dragon
7) Noble | iLuusions
7) Madzin

BRACKETS

https://smash.gg/tournament/ceo-2017/events/injustice-2/overview

TOP 8 ARCHIVE

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/152792975

@Hollywood DMS with that WIG! - STORMS

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thanks @CrimsonShadow

I didn't get to watch the entire top 8 because of Fathers Day, so didn't get to cover this.

Slayer did as good as I thought he would. He didn't win, but I knew he was going to make Grand Finals. I didn't account for Whiteboi's insane Scarecrow and apparently neither did anyone else, lol. I wish Slayer would have tried Bladam at least one match against him but he must know something I don't.

Anyway, glad to see someone like Whiteboi winning! Gonna have to catch the replay to see the entire top 8.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Great Injustice tournament from pools up to top 8 to GF. Good stuff to all competitors.

If you had asked me yesterday to put 10 dollars on Whiteboi at 20 to 1 odds I would've said it was a waste of money. I'm glad I got showed up. That's a helluva Cinderella story.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
What a tournament. Never disappointed me, no matter who was playing on stream. And Crimson is very right...we don't know everything. We don't know what is truly good and what might not be. We should remember that instead of pushing stuff like a lot of characters aren't viable. We just saw CEO taken by Scarecrow.

Slymind

Noob
Someone with good video editing skill, free time and a kind heart, please make a compilation of the hypest matches/moments from day 1 and 2.

The pools were insane already, and top 8 closed the tournament in superb fashion.

Congratulation Whiteboi, winning the Batman matchup against the top Batman was still the most impressive thing for me, phenomenal play.

Lokheit

Noob
I freaking love when someone wins a big tournament with a character that no one saw coming. Amazing Scarecrow by Whiteboi and I loved his reactions after each win!! Even Sonic got the crowd hyped with his great Joker, that's the kind of stuff fans love when everybody's using the same 5 characters.

I think the diversity in top 8 speaks volumes. The legacy characters making an early dominance is only part of the script people. Firestorm vs Grodd Grand Finals EVO

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
That was probably one of the best runs in an NRS tournament in a while. Scarecrow's definitely underrated but Whiteboi still had to trudge through a ton of bad matchups to win. Really impressive, congrats man.

Shoutout to the rest of the top 8 too, especially Slayer. Would be surprised if he doesn't take a major pretty soon.

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
Shout out to Slayer. If he wanted he could've shifted the game momentum and everyone's attitude by selecting Black Adam at anytime however, he didn't.
You're a good sport, Slayer.