What's new

Question Where does GL rank pre-patch

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Lol I have been over this a 1000 times til bored, when you play a g.l that actually plays with Raven, the match takes a drastic turn to even. Where was this input when I went through playing all the hi level ravens I could find. If soul crush was a 1 frame grab then sure its 6/4 or worse, but g.l does a surprisingly good job laming raven out once he has the life lead. Raven can not stop him from getting at least 1m and with it, raven must take a risky read to go into d.raven. at this point most of my matches with raven I tend to block all her strings until it is a pure chip war and get one combo in for the win. On neutral stages raven has no options but to chip on a patient g.l. Its still 5/5, because with the right hard reads she can get into dark raven enough times to win in a pure chip war. If your going by the Sabin match of the matches, go back to match one and ask why didn't he back away with a full bar lead on HP and lame her out or why he didn't LM mb b3 into b3 for the win. Both matches did a good job of showing the extremes. On psn if I need to revisit the m.u cause she has new tech, but aside from that I do fine at long range(outside sc) and close (within b1)against her
You have not played my Raven offline. It is 6-4 Raven.

Marvaz

come at me
I already stated this exact same thing day 2 of release. Just like I broke down gl day 2 of release... gl is not as good as ppl think. There's really only one true gl right now imo based on results and thats denzel.

Crathen

Death is my business
Sometimes you have to take into account how a match flows , Raven vs GL is the classic example of this kind of MU where whoever gets the first hit / lifelead gets the advantage and the other character has to go in at some point or trying to trade projectiles , personally i see it as a slight advantage for raven because when she gets that lifead it's harder for GL to close the gap rather than a Raven trying to close the gap on GL , i think Ravens' trait is what makes her win in the end tho.

Blind man I am myztery_sorrow on your friend account. You did me the favor of showing my friend raven has options in the Matchup. I have played you before lol. I made sure to not rush in in every match to show him how good d.raven's zoning could be and we agreed to disagree and just called it online even because of how bad lag is for projectile countering for raven. That is the reason you know air oa negates all of raven's counter fireball options.

Blind_Ducky

Blind man I am myztery_sorrow on your friend account. You did me the favor of showing my friend raven has options in the Matchup. I have played you before lol. I made sure to not rush in in every match to show him how good d.raven's zoning could be and we agreed to disagree and just called it online even because of how bad lag is for projectile countering for raven. That is the reason you know air oa negates all of raven's counter fireball options.
I know that. We did not play offline. Online =/= offline and this is one of the mus with Raven like Ares & Deathstroke where it looks a lot less hellish than it should. Match up = 6-4 Raven. And I'm not going to explain for the 1 millionth time why air rockets aren't a full proof solution to shit so please just stop.

Sami

Noob
ask why didn't sabin back away with a full bar lead on HP and lame her out
Because GL can't do this against Raven. Green Lantern's ranged options are highly punishable by Raven and give her unblockables (fire out a rocket, prepare to get it absorbed and an unblockable come your way that you need to avoid), free trait, stupid amounts of meter, full combo punishes, etc. GL has to keep the close range pressure as that's the only way he can hope to beat Raven. For part of the first round Sabin tried widening the distance when he got the life lead and was completely blown up for it with pillar/crush traps, shadow/crush traps, raw Soul Crushes after his projectiles wiffed, etc etc. As for him dropping the combo at the end, that doesn't mean anything in the MU discussion. And in match 2, one mistake put GL full screen and he never really got back in.

Blind Man's biggest problem in match 1 was "slightly" (seriously...) overestimating the range of Raven's d1 which he was rightly being blown up for :p

Blind_Ducky

Because GL can't do this against Raven. Green Lantern's ranged options are highly punishable by Raven and give her unblockables (fire out a rocket, prepare to get it absorbed and an unblockable come your way that you need to avoid), free trait, stupid amounts of meter, full combo punishes, etc. GL has to keep the close range pressure as that's the only way he can hope to beat Raven. For part of the first round Sabin tried widening the distance when he got the life lead and was completely blown up for it with pillar/crush traps, shadow/crush traps, raw Soul Crushes after his projectiles wiffed, etc etc. As for him dropping the combo at the end, that doesn't mean anything in the MU discussion. And in match 2, one mistake put GL full screen and he never really got back in.

Blind Man's biggest problem in match 1 was "slightly" (seriously...) overestimating the range of Raven's d1 which he was rightly being blown up for :p
My excuse is I felt like I was going to puke & shit my guts out before all my matches:b and I got super fucking lucky that he dropped the combo.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
having a low jump is not good i really dont know why you have this idea that it is, its also a slow jump

Ares has teleport and can MB godsmack even if those arent great tools those 2 together are better than turbine, GL is vulnerable during turbine and while he's dropping out of it if he does it in the air its also full combo punishable on block its not good

Cyborg is bad he can IAFB for days and GL cant do shit about it and even if you do manage to get in somehow youve taken a shit ton of chip while he's built meter. in lift range GL han handle Deathstroke but on some stages (like atlantis) Deathstroke can play keepaway even better and he already outzones GL and up close DS still has a good f3 and if he MBs it on a lift read GL is full combo punished and can be put back at fullscreen depending on the combo. Superman beating alot of characters doesnt change the fact that GL has no answer for his lasers its literally all he has to do and lantern is done.
Batgirl is terrible i think its almost as bad as cyborg and Raven is too especially when she gets trait

I'm not quite sure what fighting games you've played, but in all the ones I've played, if a character has a high or floaty jump arc, they tend to get anti aired eaiser vs low arc or fastfalling characters. Example would be Guy in SFIV. Also, I don't know about vanilla, but right now Ryu is mid tier and Dhalsim is bottom 10, so I don't know about those MU #s.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
If you feel like GL needs better mobility, you're playing him wrong. The tradeoff is it isn't easy to approach him by jumping or dash, he stuffs characters with good mobility and has enough tools to get around zoning (minus raven lol).

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I'm not quite sure what fighting games you've played, but in all the ones I've played, if a character has a high or floaty jump arc, they tend to get anti aired eaiser vs low arc or fastfalling characters. Example would be Guy in SFIV. Also, I don't know about vanilla, but right now Ryu is mid tier and Dhalsim is bottom 10, so I don't know about those MU #s.
i dont meant he should float idly i mea he should jump higher and fall faster, like black adam has the highest jump arc and his jump falls fast, SF nobody jumps as high as some chars in injustice and there arent air dashes etc

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Raven only has a slight advantage because with a lifelead she can really take control of the match.

If she doesnt have the lifelead though then GL has an advantage.

I would concede that Raven can gain the lifelead easier which is why it would be her advantage, but saying this matchup is free is far from the truth.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
If you feel like GL needs better mobility, you're playing him wrong. The tradeoff is it isn't easy to approach him by jumping or dash, he stuffs characters with good mobility and has enough tools to get around zoning (minus raven lol).
wha? i get that you cant just jump at him (unless youre batman) but the thing is characters with good zoning dont have to appoach him GL has to approach them and its hard to do with terrible mobility, and what good tools does he have to around zoning?

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
i dont meant he should float idly i mea he should jump higher and fall faster, like black adam has the highest jump arc and his jump falls fast, SF nobody jumps as high as some chars in injustice and there arent air dashes etc

I think you missed my point. It sounds like you just want him to fall faster, not jump higher. Jumping higher would be worse for him, since the opponent has more time to anti air.

EDIT: I suppose you can't have one with out the other though, since it would be op.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I think he is one of the most balanced characters in this game.
Giving him mobility would easily make him top 3 imo.
just keep him how he his.

Raven vs GL is 6-4 for her but that not that bad at all who gives af. You get in that bitch will get fucked!! but if not gl is fucked aha.
Also I think GL is top 10 imo.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
wha? i get that you cant just jump at him (unless youre batman) but the thing is characters with good zoning dont have to appoach him GL has to approach them and its hard to do with terrible mobility, and what good tools does he have to around zoning?
Basic stuff: Well-timed air turbine gets him in. Air oa can harass a lot of characters to come to him. GL is strong, but only if you respect the design. He shuts down a lot of options by simply existing on the screen. His jump might be lacking, but the tradeoff of not being able to jump even outside of footsies range just illustrates what spacing he is meant to be effective at. Air oa, and he plays best at b1 range. He can't just do whatever he wants, which is what would happen with even better mobility added to his strong defensive tools that limit opponent'a mobility.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Even if he wasn't top 10 and he was like 15 it wouldn't matter because he is so balanced and a lot of chars in this game are imo.

Matix218

Get over here!

Raven vs GL is 6-4 for her but that not that bad at all who gives af. You get in that bitch will get fucked!! but if not gl is fucked aha.

I agree with all of this.

I think GL is one of the few characters that no one is crying for either buffs or nerfs for and it is because his design is so balanced. IMO he is one of the better designed characters in this game.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I agree with all of this.

I think GL is one of the few characters that no one is crying for either buffs or nerfs for and it is because his design is so balanced. IMO he is one of the better designed characters in this game.
Yes just leave him alone. He is already fair. He doesn't need anything else.
He can compete with the whole cast imo.

They still need to change john stewart win pose to all the green lanterns doing the Bernie aha

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher

This is exactly what I was struggling to say.