What's new

Question Where does GL rank pre-patch

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
id say about 11th or 12th best now i see alot of people saying GL is "at least top 10" or "top 8" but usually people who dont use him and most people act like im insane when i say GL needs a mobility buff to make him able to compete with the best characters in the game so i just wanted to show my reasoning and at the same time ask what the other GL users think. so here are characters i think are better than GL with reasons why or characters that might be just as god/bad as him IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER but the top 4 should be self explanitory

1. Superman - f23 x lasers (do i need to say anymore?)
2. Black Adam - Safe (also do i really need to say more)
3. Batman - Bat trait is likely the best in the game, j2, etc
4. Aquaman - combo breaker trait, d2 is great, simple 1 bar 40% bnbs, FTD etc
now heres where it gets interesting...again no specific order
5. Flash - best forward dash, hit confirm trait = 50%, mb charge gets him in safe from almost fullscreen from a good read, vibrate nullifies most if not all interactbles (unless after knockdown), quick hitting combos break through MB b3 armor making his pressure even better, has no projectiles but is really hard to zone and is one of the best up close....im sure theres more but...in any case i think its safe to say he's a better char than GL
6. Wonder Woman - 40% meterless bnbs (she really doesnt NEED meter at all), isnt the best at zoning but has good mobility a 15 frame air charge (compared to GLs 26 frame hitbox increasing turbine) a divepunch (that if im not mistaken sets up a 50/50 chance after knockdown?) and an air dash, very good d3,
7. Batgirl - meterless vortex and doesnt need meter for anything, good zoning with batarangs and bola, counter zoning teleport, forward dash isnt bad, really good corner damage (50% 1 bar right?) and like flash has quick hitting combos that can stuff armored moves, and cartwheel that can hit as a low,mid, or overhead, her not needing meter also opens up oppurtunities to use super if she ever needs to or use it to clash and get health back with no worries. ive seen some people disagree on this one but i think babs is decisively better than GL and (unrelated but) she also bodies him in the MU
8. Killer Frost - now ill openly say i dont know very much about Frost at all i know she got nerfed but apparently she is still good and still has the best move in the game with that safe slide and can use it on wake up if she chooses, she also has vortexes that seem similar to GL...now about Frost i really didnt think she was much or even top 10 but i played a few good Frost's saw some high level play then looked around the Frost forums and saw this http://testyourmight.com/threads/ribbz22s-killer-frost-matchup-chart-1-07-patch-updated-8-26-13.37450/
KF matchup thread and if this is right holy shit 20 advantage MUs and only 1 disadvantage MU?
compared to GL's 8 bad Mu's (Sinestro, Deathstroke, Batman, Superman, Batgirl, Zod, Raven, Cyborg. 9 in my opinion with Manhunter) i think it puts her slightly over GL
9. Zod - uhh ill let pig explain this one http://testyourmight.com/threads/why-is-zod-top-5.37240/#post-1101045
10. Deathstroke - this one is probably closer than the rest but i think DS is slightly better than GL as well, while GL is a god midscreen Slade is one of the best fullscreen and is good close range (really good f3 especially MB that leads to 36% bnbs for no meter 1 bar if mb f3 is used) he aso doesnt rely on meter at all, his bnbs are meterless and once he gets the lifelead his zoning makes it easier to close matches out, has good wakeups (safe sword spin, sword flip is also good but punishable if a bad read is made). Slade's j3 is one of the best air normals and if it lands you get a free full combo, he has better dashes than lantern as well (but then again who doesnt) he also doesnt have as many bad matchups as lantern (most threads list around 5 while GL has 8 or 9.
i think this one is reall close but Slade slightly edges him.
11. Martian Manhunter - dont know how i forgot this guy he might even be top 5 he's got great mobility and can air dash forever if you spend the meter has an anti air teleport and a safe overhead teleport than can crossup, Dhalsim trait, a good b3, orbs so slow down pressure and for setups he just has alot of shit and is definitely better than Lantern

now this thread wouldnt be fair to list what lantern has because is is a very good character
he has b1 (amazing normal god plz no nerfs to this), lanterns might has good range (nothing on soul crush tho) catches them airborne and on the ground and if meter is used it leads to a full combo and reset oppurtunity, f3 is very fast but has almost no range so it doesnt come into play alot (aside from resets) but it can be a game changer, j3 is really good for jump ins on chars who dont have really good d2's, 223 minigun is good safe and creates a little distance, his b3 is not bad either. minigun is good on its own as well but has slow startup so it cant just be thrown out there.
the problems with GL and why he isnt (imo) top 10 are
his mobility is the worst in the game, his dashes are slow and his back dash has a shit ton of recovery, his jump arc is low (rockets lift him up but he's vulnerable floating down and some chars can dash under him and punish or start pressure if he blocks, his turbine is 26 frames (WW's air charge is 15 and Zod charge is 16) increases his hitbox and is easily punishable....so yeah his mobility is ass and in this game where zoning is really powerful having bad mobility is a huge deal and GL really has no way to deal with zoning he gets outzoned by almost everyone with a fullscreen projectile. his resets (with the exception of the j2 and standing 2 ones) can all be beat by wakeups so if you dont think you are gonna guess right and have a good wakeup attack you can get out of his dash under resets. he relies heavily on meter, in face with no meter GL can pretty much do nothing, he also needs his trait, even with meter and without trait it shortens or nullifies his combos and gives him less damage, GL is only at his best with bars and trait ready or active.
i just hope nrs doesnt do anything foolish and nerf him when he really isnt among the best i just think he looks really powerful but once you learn to play him and other characters and his matchups he isnt nearly as good as he seemed initially...well he's good just not top 10

so this is all just 1 guys opinion but i see alot of people saying he is either top 5 or top 10 or even that he needs nerfs sometimes but ive been playing him since April and i think he's 11th or 12th best in the game, he is a very good character but there are many others with more tools and less faults that just make them better imo...again i could be wrong im not a "high level" player and i dont go to tournaments but id like to think im decent for a casual and ive seen pretty much every major tournament injustice was in and even alot of the weekly tournaments so i know 1 or 2 things.
so what do you guys think? agree, disagree, not give a shit, waiting for the patch or whatever else

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Probably like 5th with his OTG set-up. Supes, Adam, Aqua, and Batman are the only characters to me that are clearly better. I've had him, WW, and MMH tied in my mind for a while. But the OTG is kinda nuts.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Ok even though I hate playing against online Deathstrokes, he is NOT TOP 10. I would put Green Lantern in top 8. If anyone has GL outside of top 10 you can safely dismiss it as a massive downplay.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
When having the best walkspeed in a game where stages are as big as they are and a "fast walkspeed" is still fairly slow, it does make for the worst mobility.
His walk speed paired with his b1 make his space control ridiculous. GL controls space better or just as well as almost any other character in the game. The only person that does it better is probably Superman. His dashes are definitely ass though, but they should be.

Fred Marvel

I agree but having the fastest walk speed means its impossible to have the worst mobility.
not true. having the worst dashes, one of the worst jump arcs and no good way to cover large distances makes his mobilty the worst and if not who's mobility is worse?

You want worst mobility play nightwing with staff oit.
thats 1 stance im talking characters, escrima has good mobility as well

Fred Marvel

for all the guys saying he's top 5 top 8 r 10...how? list reasons please is it just because the OTG or what? i dont see how he's better than Manhunter or Zod or Batgirl etc yes he is a midscreen monster but from fullscreen gets bodied and close up gets bodied and if he's ever cornered he's fucked too

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
not true. having the worst dashes, one of the worst jump arcs and no good way to cover large distances makes his mobilty the worst and if not who's mobility is worse?

His jump arc is actually pretty good since it's a low jump arc he gives people less time to Anti-Air him.

He kan kover large distances with Turbine (air included) on a read.

B1 also has more range than Superman's F2. Lift has more range than that. He restricts the mobility of other characters. That's why his mobility SHOULDN'T be any better than it is.

As for your question: Ares' mobility is worse...

jaym7018

Noob
His jump arc is actually pretty good since it's a low jump arc he gives people less time to Anti-Air him.

B1 also has more range than Superman's F2. Lift has more range than that. He restricts the mobility of other characters. That's why his mobility SHOULDN'T be any better than it is.

So is lex luthors

Fred Marvel

its bad because its low so youre saying his jump arc is good because its bad?
there are a couple matchups where turbine can be used to cover distance but you need a really good in the majority of MUs and with the slow startup and it being really punishable its a risk to throw out. i think his mobility should be slighty better because as he stands he has NO ANSWER to good zoning, b1 is one of if not the best normals in the game but if you arent in b1 or lift range GL is your bitch
and ares has a teleport

So is lex luthors
mobility? lex has corps charge its safe and ridicuously fast, he can do it on wakeup and in the air

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
there are a couple matchups where turbine can be used to cover distance but you need a really good in the majority of MUs and with the slow startup and it being really punishable its a risk to throw out. i think his mobility should be slighty better because as he stands he has NO ANSWER to good zoning, b1 is one of if not the best normals in the game but if you arent in b1 or lift range GL is your bitch
and ares has a teleport

No. I'm saying it's good because it's a low jump arc. You're the one saying it's bad. Not me.

You want to talk about risky yet you ignore Ares' mobility because he has a teleport?

No answer to zoning? Who zones him so bad that he literally has "No Answer" ?

and ares has a teleport

mobility? lex has corps charge its safe and ridicuously fast, he can do it on wakeup and in the air
green lantern has a turbine he can use to get in

so many things wrong with that list.

Green Lantern is easily 5th behind Aquaman, Batman, Black Adam and Superman.
this. Except I would replace Batman for Batgirl seen as GL and Batgirl have more match ups in their favour. As good as batman is, he goes 5-5 with most of the cast

jaym7018

Noob
and ares has a teleport

Lex corp charge is nowhere near safe. Neither is ares teleport.

Fred Marvel

No. I'm saying it's good because it's a low jump arc. You're the one saying it's bad. Not me.

You want to talk about risky yet you ignore Ares' mobility because he has a teleport?

No answer to zoning? Who zones him so bad that he literally has "No Answer" ?
it being low doesnt make it good Batmans grapple cathes his jump

a teleport closes the distance GL has turbine? i think a teleport beats that
lol Raven, Cyborg, Deathstroke can completely shut him down depending on the stage, Batgirl, Superman he has no answer to at all maybe even more