What's new

Question Where does GL rank pre-patch

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Batman's grapple is used on a read. The fact that you kan get anti-aired doesn't mean it's not good.

Teleport is less safe than turbine in general. A lot of characters kan't punish turbine due to the pushback.

Chef thought Cyborg wasn't bad. You just have to be patient. Deathstroke I know doesn't shut him down. Get mid range and it's all in your favor. Once you're in lift range, no more Deathstroke mobility and no more guns. Superman beats a lot of characters.

I don't know about Batgirl. But Raven is bad from my understanding.
having a low jump is not good i really dont know why you have this idea that it is, its also a slow jump

Ares has teleport and can MB godsmack even if those arent great tools those 2 together are better than turbine, GL is vulnerable during turbine and while he's dropping out of it if he does it in the air its also full combo punishable on block its not good

Cyborg is bad he can IAFB for days and GL cant do shit about it and even if you do manage to get in somehow youve taken a shit ton of chip while he's built meter. in lift range GL han handle Deathstroke but on some stages (like atlantis) Deathstroke can play keepaway even better and he already outzones GL and up close DS still has a good f3 and if he MBs it on a lift read GL is full combo punished and can be put back at fullscreen depending on the combo. Superman beating alot of characters doesnt change the fact that GL has no answer for his lasers its literally all he has to do and lantern is done.
Batgirl is terrible i think its almost as bad as cyborg and Raven is too especially when she gets trait

Fred Marvel

Green lantern is top 8 because he can pretty much zone out half the cast with jump back rocket, b1 3 can be cancelled into mini gun to make it safe , has one of the best f3 , has some good resets, mini gun does loads of chip and I cba to list the rest
what?
you do realize GL gets outzoned by Superman, Raven, Sinestro, Cyborg, Zod, Batgirl, Batman, Harley, Ares, Deathstroke, Manhunter keeps lantern out and prevents him from zoning and Zatanna might out zone him too im not sure
also his f3 is fast and good sometimes but can whiff because it hardly has any range, you can wakekup out of all of GLs resets except the ones nobody uses lol.

Matix218

Get over here!
OP, you really think Deathstroke, Batgirl and KF are better than GL?

Batgirl and KF are close because of their ridiculous vortexes but Deathstroke? Deathstroke is good no doubt, I main him and he is solid and better than people (cough... M2Dave... cough) would lead you to believe but there is no way that he is better all around than GL. GL was my original main and he is a phenomenal character. IMO he is 5th or 6th overall.

Fred Marvel

OP, you really think Deathstroke, Batgirl and KF are better than GL?

Batgirl and KF are close because of their ridiculous vortexes but Deathstroke? Deathstroke is good no doubt, I main him and he is solid and better than people (cough... M2Dave... cough) would lead you to believe but there is no way that he is better all around than GL. GL was my original main and he is a phenomenal character. IMO he is 5th or 6th overall.
i think DS might be slightly better but GL 5th or 6th? how is lantern better than Manhunter? before anyone calls Lantern top 6 i just wanna know how he's better than Manhunter or Zod or even Batgirl. Frost also only has 1 bad MU according the the Frost forums and 20 advantage MUs.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Where did you get that Airs joke ryu downplaying match up list? The one where he says dan nearly goes even with him.
Um, have you actually kept up with SFIV? Vanilla Dhalsim in today's metagame pretty much still beats Vanilla Ryu pretty bad. It's commonly accepted that Ryu's playstyle is simply countered pretty hard by Dhalsim.

But I'm finding it funny that nobody wants to acknowledge that GL simply can have a tough time approaching. I'm not even really saying whether he's top 10 or not (my honest opinion, if he is, he's pretty low in the top 10). I'm just saying he has bad mobility. In this game, walkspeeds are too slow to really use to approach even if you have one of the fastest and are mildly okay to bob and weave with (which GL can do well since he does walk fast).

This is pretty much Reptile all over again.

Fred Marvel

im not trying to downplay but ive been maining GL since april and i think he is the most overrated character in the game
out of the people saying he's top 5 and top 8 how many of you are GL mains?
and im more curious to see where the other GL mains tink he ranks

Raven goes 5-5 with Green Lantern. Sure, her Soul Crush can cause him grief since it outranges Lantern's Might, but the instant he knocks her down he can hit her with 50/50s and her only option is to hope she guesses right then pushblock immediately.

She might stop him from zoning, but his up-close game prevents the match from being in her favour.

He's definitely top 10, but not top 5. Either 6th, 7th or 8th - IDK exactly which lol.

Raven is only lockdown in trait, and it is the g.l player's job to hit her with oa mb when she goes into trait. Her strings are pathetic for this matchup and she can only start combos on a hard grab read. Raven is not a bad matchup at all if played right, just most g.l players are impatient with a life lead for some dumb reason. As for cyborg, iafb can be crouchblocked its an instant AIR fireball. Not as bad as he used to be at all. Superman lasers are easy to dodge at far range with g.l ability to stall in air with air oa rocket if he mistimes jump. And its about even on footsies after the start of the match. Just because someone can zone doesn't make them a bad matchup all except batgirl you named are pretty much even and requires adapting.

THTB

As for cyborg, iafb can be crouchblocked its an instant AIR fireball
He doesn't have to, you know, constantly air fireball...? He can mix in grounded ones and fakes.

GL is forced into approaching in these matchups. He struggles with approaching. It's not that they keep away indefinitely, it's that they force him to do something he's pretty weak at doing. THAT'S the problem.

Either way, it's not like 4-6s are bad. I'm glad it's even that.

Fred Marvel

What ever it is, its terrible. GL players aren't aloud to downplay until their character gets hit with a normalisation which is much needed
you think Lantern of all people needs nerfs? lol and im the one with terrible ideas?
Raven is only lockdown in trait, and it is the g.l player's job to hit her with oa mb when she goes into trait. Her strings are pathetic for this matchup and she can only start combos on a hard grab read. Raven is not a bad matchup at all if played right, just most g.l players are impatient with a life lead for some dumb reason. As for cyborg, iafb can be crouchblocked its an instant AIR fireball. Not as bad as he used to be at all. Superman lasers are easy to dodge at far range with g.l ability to stall in air with air oa rocket if he mistimes jump. And its about even on footsies after the start of the match. Just because someone can zone doesn't make them a bad matchup all except batgirl you named are pretty much even and requires adapting.
Raven is not a bad matchup? lol ok,
Cyborg is obviously not as bad as when he was broken but its still really bad.
lol yeah superman's lasers are easy to dodge fullscreen but the problem with that is youre still fullscreen and he can keep firing them off and you cand counter with shit you have to move in at some point and the closer you get the harder they are to dodge and if you get hit by MB laser or heat Zap youre back at long range again.
zoning doesnt guarantee it a bad MU like Harley she outzones lantern but the MU is even and ive got no issues
also what do you mean? Zod is bad for lantern so is sinestro, batman is, and i think manhunter is too but i guess that one hasnt been studied enough by most others to make a decision on

THTB

I don't think Supes's zoning outright beats GL's, it's just that he outdamages him on correct reads.

Harley doesn't really outzone GL, either.

Matix218

Get over here!
i think DS might be slightly better but GL 5th or 6th? how is lantern better than Manhunter? before anyone calls Lantern top 6 i just wanna know how he's better than Manhunter or Zod or even Batgirl. Frost also only has 1 bad MU according the the Frost forums and 20 advantage MUs.
Ill be honest, of those 3 characters the only one I have experience playing against at a high level is Batgirl. I really cant comment on MMH or Zod because the only MMH played at high level that I have personally seen is from watching REO and same for Zod but with Pig. You may be right about those 2 being better than GL. I think Batgirl's vortex makes her about even with GL, because she does not have as may tools to catch you in the vortex as GL does to catch you in a combo and keep you out. If her teleport was safe on block instead of being full combo punishable I would agree that she is better than GL but as it stands they are very close. Either way, if you say Supes, BA, Batman, Aquaman, WW, Flash, MMH, Zod, Batgirl, GL that still puts him in top 10. I would say KF could be in that mix also, possibly top 10 right around where Batgirl and GL fall but there is no way Deathstroke is in that list. Deathstroke loses 6-4 to BA, Batman, Superman (possibly 5-5 but I doubt it) and loses 7-3 to flash. If you struggle that much against the top tier it would be hard to say that he is a top 10 character, let alone better than GL. IMO as it stands DS is probably between 12-15 and still a solid character in most matchups but he is not top 10 and not better than GL. Im hoping for a buff to his trait in the next patch which may push him back closer to the top 10. The universal D2 buff really hurt DS also because it make his crazy jump in vortexes much less safe to do IMO. It will be interesting to see what changes are made in this patch either way. I doubt GL will have any changes as I think he may be the most balanced character in this game currently (Good but not Broken Good). We shall see!

Fred Marvel

I don't think Supes's zoning outright beats GL's, it's just that he outdamages him on correct reads.

Harley doesn't really outzone GL, either.
i think its his zoning and his damage and how do you figure harley doesnt? her guns have more advantage on block and on hit than his rocket she has air guns and has MB cupcakes if GL tries to air rocket all day

THTB

i think its his zoning and his damage and how do you figure harley doesnt? her guns have more advantage on block and on hit than his rocket she has air guns and has MB cupcakes if GL tries to air rocket all day
She can do MB cupcakes if she thinks he'll air rocket, but then he can ground rocket and check that. It's fairly even, IMO, on the zoning front. GL just edges her out on damage for most of his answers than she does.

GL's ground rocket is among the fastest standard projectiles in the game, travel speed-wise, allowing him to reliably blast Supes in the face for trying to do back-to-back zaps. Air rocket gives him an answer to ground laser, and turbine gives him an answer to full screen air lasers hat try to avoid ground rocket, and he can check with far rockets in their range, too. It can go back and forth, just Supes gets more damage overall than GL, so it's super easy to fall behind.

Sami

Noob
Hate to break it to you all, but the Raven vs. Green Lantern match-up is in Raven's favour. Green Lantern can do nothing the moment she gets into trait, can punish a blocked Lantern's Might at any range (and usually for full combo). If played right, Green Lantern simply does not get in.

The biggest annoyance for Raven is that she can't loop him with the cross-up wake-up setups. Which is absolutely fine, as she can just end her combos (any combo) with b23 which puts him fullscreen. b23 can be cancelled into trait as well, meaning you're full screen, unable to get any moves out and one mistake will put you into a pillar bounce combo or worse yet, a MB demon grab (goes full screen, puts you point blank from Raven and hanging in the air) into full combo. Which of course, can be ended with b23...

All characters bar those that can armour up (or Aquaman) have issues with overhead/low mix-ups on wake-up. If the Raven player reads it they can just do wake-up lift (-10 if you read it and block though). She's by no means completely free on wake-up. MB for armour (f3/b3) is another option, but then Raven can do that to GL if she knocks him down too.

Blind_Man (Raven player, 9th at Evo) puts the match-up at 6-4 Raven as does most of the Raven forums. In theory, GL has the tools to make Raven's life hell. In reality he struggles to do anything, can have his projectiles absorbed and an unblockable sent back, MB minigun has to much knock-back on it that it works in Raven's favour (especially if she's knocked out of range), and she builds so much meter from zoning him that should she need to clash or counter a clash, she should be sitting on quite a few bars just ready to burn. Or push block, or just burn for the combo.

I personally used to rate it 5:5 based on Raven dominating at range and GL having better footies. However, taking into account how much time the match will stay in Raven's comfort zone compared to GL and it shifts to her advantage. And remember, unlike Aquaman and most other characters with ranged punishes, Raven can catch him pushing buttons at full screen when in demon stance and get a full combo off it.

Raven is only lockdown in trait, and it is the g.l player's job to hit her with oa mb when she goes into trait
If you think Raven goes into trait against GL when a) standing and/or b) when GL is capable of punishing buttons, you really need to learn this MU some more. b23 combo ender = free trait. Jump back in the air (at a sensible distance) = free trait. MB Soul Crush (that move that's so easy to land on Green Lantern) = free trait.

edit: in addition, he has to deal with Shadow Raven/Soul Crush traps when she's not in trait, and as above if she catches him with a Soul Crush then she can MB it and get trait back.

THTB

However, taking into account how much time the match will stay in Raven's comfort zone compared to GL and it shifts to her advantage
This is what I'm talking about with GL's other harder matchups. Yeah, GL when in his best zone is going to cause problems. The issue tends to be how often he will be there, and how difficult it can be to get there.

GL is at least top 10 pre patch without a doubt, no questions asked. You can't have one of the best footsies tools in this game and not be at least top 10.

Lol I have been over this a 1000 times til bored, when you play a g.l that actually plays with Raven, the match takes a drastic turn to even. Where was this input when I went through playing all the hi level ravens I could find. If soul crush was a 1 frame grab then sure its 6/4 or worse, but g.l does a surprisingly good job laming raven out once he has the life lead. Raven can not stop him from getting at least 1m and with it, raven must take a risky read to go into d.raven. at this point most of my matches with raven I tend to block all her strings until it is a pure chip war and get one combo in for the win. On neutral stages raven has no options but to chip on a patient g.l. Its still 5/5, because with the right hard reads she can get into dark raven enough times to win in a pure chip war. If your going by the Sabin matches vs blind ducky, please go back to match one and ask why didn't sabin back away with a full bar lead on HP and lame her out or why he didn't LM mb b3 into b3 for the win. Both matches did a good job of showing the extremes. On psn if I need to revisit the m.u cause she has new tech, but aside from that I do fine at long range(outside sc) and close (within b1)against her

Sami

Noob
As much as it pains me to say it, the bulk of the cast is quite balanced against each other so top-10 (or any numerical ranking lists) are kind of meaningless. Bring back the tier list format as it allows you to properly group characters of a very similar power level together rather than argue exactly which order they rank in.

Is Green Lantern S tier? No. A/A+ tier? Definitely, as are quite a few other characters.