What's new

What is your day 1 hot take?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I now support custom variations, but I still believe they would present a logistical nightmare for tournament organizers as well as players. The following would be a couple of my oncerns.

1. Time limit in tournaments. How much time would customizing your character take? How much longer would it take to re-customize your variations in order to counter pick?

2. Speaking of counter picking, how do you manage counter picking in tournaments? Are "blind picks" for moves reasonable?

3. A plethora of regular moves and special moves. How would your opponent know which moves have been customized?

I am not sure you can resolve these issues by giving the middle finger to NRS. We would need their help and support.
I think a solution would TO’s putting together every kustom variation possible on each system. It would take a little bit of time but they would only need to do it once. And have a rule you’re not allowed to change the names or edit anything. Since in the character select screen you can see which moves the variations have, it could work.

Like go ahead and do it now, not at the tournament. Well not now now since kustoms aren’t allowed yet. But you know what I mean. I would even volunteer to come a day early to do this free of charge tbh.

Knobbonk

Burn this motherfucker to the ground
I think a solution would TO’s putting together every kustom variation possible on each system. It would take a little bit of time but they would only need to do it once. And have a rule you’re not allowed to change the names or edit anything. Since in the character select screen you can see which moves the variations have, it could work.

Like go ahead and do it now, not at the tournament. Well not now now since kustoms aren’t allowed yet. But you know what I mean. I would even volunteer to come a day early to do this free of charge tbh.
Using the ability presets makes a process like this a lot less painful, and there are a bunch of presets to choose from

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
I think a solution would TO’s putting together every kustom variation possible on each system.
Dream on. I'm all for Kustom Variations to be the tourney standard, but not being able to set them up quickly and conveniently from the character select screen is going to be a total non starter for TOs.

Like, I'm definitely not doing that shit to bring to my locals.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Oh hey, this game is already out!

Hot take is that I'll probably wait until Cyber Sub returns to buy the game. Probably. Gonna be a MKXI media consumer/spectator this go-around.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dream on. I'm all for Kustom Variations to be the tourney standard, but not being able to set them up quickly and conveniently from the character select screen is going to be a total non starter for TOs.

Like, I'm definitely not doing that shit to bring to my locals.
That’s fine if you don’t want to put in a little effort there would be volunteers willing to do it for you. Most TO’s I know are dedicated to having a great tournament, great experience and are really driven individuals. Meaning they would find the means to complete this task or would simply do it themselves. They could even ask for BYOConsoles that already have this completed. There’s a ton of solutions and being lazy isn’t one of them!

Quantus

That’s fine if you don’t want to put in a little effort there would be volunteers willing to do it for you. Most TO’s I know are dedicated to having a great tournament, great experience and are really driven individuals. Meaning they would find the means to complete this task or would simply do it themselves. They could even ask for BYOConsoles that already have this completed. There’s a ton of solutions and being lazy isn’t one of them!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What is a logical argument against it other than just not wanting to put in the effort to do it? Either the TO’s themselves or delegating the task out? That or the BYOConsole angle to also help?

There are other solutions as well, including just allowing each player to quickly do it themselves. Maybe even have everyone who is attending who shows up a day early or early before the tournament go to every setup and put their kustoms in. If you don’t make it there early either they aren’t allowed to have their kustom variation, or it will at least be quicker since everyone won’t have to do it.

There’s plenty of solutions and options, tbh. The only reason anyone would be against finding a way to make Kustoms work is if they just don’t like Kustoms and are trying to justify their opinion.

Quantus

What is a logical argument against it other than just not wanting to put in the effort to do it? Either the TO’s themselves or delegating the task out? That or the BYOConsole angle to also help?

There are other solutions as well, including just allowing each player to quickly do it themselves. Maybe even have everyone who is attending who shows up a day early or early before the tournament go to every setup and put their kustoms in. If you don’t make it there early either they aren’t allowed to have their kustom variation, or it will at least be quicker since everyone won’t have to do it.

There’s plenty of solutions and options, tbh. The only reason anyone would be against finding a way to make Kustoms work is if they just don’t like Kustoms and are trying to justify their opinion.
Brother, you are drastically underselling what a herculean effort it would be to get an exhaustive list of every possible variation created on even a single set up.
Why not let players do it themselves? Because TOs have a schedule to keep, and the last thing they need is people fiddling around at the create variation screen (TWICE. The 2 players would have to take turns, of course).
Have everybody show up a day early? People have jobs and lives, absolutely no player would do this, nor should they be expected to.

And again, I am for kustom variations, but the correct course of action is to have NRS implement the necessary UI.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
including just allowing each player to quickly do it themselves
I think that would work best. The only issue I see is if after losing a match someone then wants to change characters and set up an additional custom variation. Either way, with NRS's help I think Custom Variations could easily end up working out just fine.

HAMMER

Noob
Im old as fuck what is that abbrieviation?
It means "FUCK OUTTA HERE" with that nonsense accusation that it's my incompetence for why I'm having issues with the tutorial step.

I've had countless world records in other games; had great standing in MK9/MKX fights and so on.

The shit is ridiculous and It's not because I haven't passed it (I tried for five minutes and shut the game off).

If someone succeeds it's because they got it and it takes only one try.

The shit is rigid as hell.

HAMMER

Noob
That's cool. Speed records? What games?
I don't want to be specific.

But in a few racing games, and I also have a fighting game world record (that isn't that well known) that I won't reveal because I don't want to be famous here. >.<

They WERE world records. Right now, I only have one that is still existing.

My point was: I'm not a retard and I know how to figure shit out!!

Edit: I guess I was being a retard. I didn't know you had to get a flawless block on the third hit.

shrugs

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I now support custom variations, but I still believe they would present a logistical nightmare for tournament organizers as well as players. The following would be a couple of my oncerns.

1. Time limit in tournaments. How much time would customizing your character take? How much longer would it take to re-customize your variations in order to counter pick?

2. Speaking of counter picking, how do you manage counter picking in tournaments? Are "blind picks" for moves reasonable?

3. A plethora of regular moves and special moves. How would your opponent know which moves have been customized?

I am not sure you can resolve these issues by giving the middle finger to NRS. We would need their help and support.
1. Ketchup released a video with good solutions to these problems.

2. Have both players select character before matchmaking and I'm tournaments you can ask players to announce this character before sitting. No more counter picking.

3. K&M video had the answer. It shows on screens before Match starts.

Personally I feel we should have custom variations. I knew this preset garb was gonna be a problem before release. Just look at mkx and how most don't have all 3 variations used. They clearly didn't know what to do.

The game has a serious lack of comboability and the ones that remain are short and lackluster. I'd rather them do less damage and be longer keep the rest of the game how it is just dial back some of these combo limitations!
What's your opinion on that M2DAVE as a zoning player? I'm a rushdown/setup player so it effects me alot.

Kaymai

inside of this girl is a beast
I think cassie's combos are hella dope to do because there's so many options for doing easier to medium to optimized combos, and that anyone will find the one they can 10/10 with.

vapid

cyber warlord
So, err.. why isn't there a character unlock for beating story mode?

(Yes, I know about Frost, but she's chapter 4 right?)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Lot more zoning options than MK X which is a good thing for me. Combos don't seem as precise as MK X, but yet I would say perhaps more challenging than MK 9's combos. Pretty fun game.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
It means "FUCK OUTTA HERE" with that nonsense accusation that it's my incompetence for why I'm having issues with the tutorial step.

I've had countless world records in other games; had great standing in MK9/MKX fights and so on.

The shit is ridiculous and It's not because I haven't passed it (I tried for five minutes and shut the game off).

If someone succeeds it's because they got it and it takes only one try.

The shit is rigid as hell.
Well heres a tip from someone with no world records dont wait to see the move come out tap block after the 1,1 part then immediately u2 dont wait to see if the flawless block skull shows up just input it . The flawless block was your correct read so up 2 is the natural course of action.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What's your opinion on that M2DAVE as a zoning player? I'm a rushdown/setup player so it effects me alot.
I agree. There appears to be limited creativity for combos. I guess the crushing blow system is supposed to compensate for the short combos. However, some characters have nonsensical, if not utterly impractical, requirements for certain crushing blow moves. Aside from the universal throw and uppercut crushing blows, I have yet to connect any of Noob's. I am aware that other characters have identical issues.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
Tournament loadouts are absurdly thought out and make no sense. The fact that Kotal only gets to use the damage totem in an official loadout is a perfect example.

The lack of a run mechanic destroys Kotal and makes the game feel slow and clunky in general.. Kotal was already weak to zoning before but now he has literally no recourse at range and his Oki is nerfed into oblivion too without the ability to cover ground quickly after a knockdown.

Story mode was crap. No big surprises, no teases for the future. Characters needlessly buried (Shao). To me MK11 was the hardest of hard resets lorewise and I almost feel like the next game might as well not even have a connection to the original lore at this point after an ending like that.