What's new

What is your day 1 hot take?

ATIWAB

Noob
Literally nobody at NRS play-tested the TOTs. Absolutely no way on earth someone said "okay, so, tower 2 on Jax, let's put him against Frost but with a modifier that makes him automatically get frozen any time he's near her for (literally) two seconds without backing up, including during Gotcha Grab, block strings, literally anything, okay played it, feels good, launch that shit."

Modifiers are lazy and fucking dumb design and some of the combinations make absolutely no sense for the character towers.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I think it's pretty obvious. They either A) Felt it wasn't balanced or B) Thought that it could be balanced, but felt they didn't have enough to time to carry our that process before launch.

Every year NRS is bashed for having the game be a mess leading up to Evo. We're notorious for people booing the game, etc, and getting a bad rep early on even though the worst issues are fixed over time.

So the move was clearly to play it safe at launch for tournament play. Doesn't mean it'll make everyone happy, but it seems pretty clear why it was set up this way.
I think it is fine to not include custom variations in tournaments to start. But there should have been way more care put towards making the tournament variations. There are a lot of them that are laughably weak, have zero synergy, and just generally don't make sense. If the tournament variations were good and well thought it might be a different story.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Totally agree with the tournament variations. They kinda suck. They need to do away with it honestly.
I agree, making it custom feels like it's the right move. It would allow characters to be more diverse and players to create thier unique version of thier characters. If they are worried about balancing characters they should go custom cuz people will find broke shit no matter what and it can be tweaked over time.

I hope they at least make a variation for each move but even then I feel many players will be missing what they want. Kabal needs Air Hook grab, low Hook and extended Hook in one variation.

Noob needs Air sickle snag, ghost ball and overhead clone in one var.

Liu needs parry and fire buff in one.

Sonya seems good I actually like hers.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I think it is fine to not include custom variations in tournaments to start. But there should have been way more care put towards making the tournament variations. There are a lot of them that are laughably weak, have zero synergy, and just generally don't make sense. If the tournament variations were good and well thought it might be a different story.
Exactly. And I thought that’s what we would get tbh. I guess I was just overly optimistic. I mean, there were bad variations in mkx, but a lot of great ones and by the last patch they were pretty damn good (for a game with over a 100 variations, a lot were pretty good).

It’s a shame. I still have faith that either custom variations will come into reality or that more variations will be made.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I didn’t know where to ask this but are they not using the tournament variations at the next level battle circuit that’s is being streamed right now?

LawAbidingCitizen

Literally nobody at NRS play-tested the TOTs. Absolutely no way on earth someone said "okay, so, tower 2 on Jax, let's put him against Frost but with a modifier that makes him automatically get frozen any time he's near her for (literally) two seconds without backing up, including during Gotcha Grab, block strings, literally anything, okay played it, feels good, launch that shit."

Modifiers are lazy and fucking dumb design and some of the combinations make absolutely no sense for the character towers.
I understand Towers of Time is frustrating but I kinda like that it's hard. If you use the right konsumables you can completely avoid those unblockable modifiers. If you have the right loadout you can beat the hard towers.
I like that it's challenging what I don't like is that the most important tower requires you to forge to summon it and the other thing I don't like in TOT is that character towers cost 25,000 koins per character just to get those skins and it's multiple towers just for one.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I like a ton of shit, but none of it is organized into a tournament variation. The chosen variants are chasing me away from characters I really wanted to play, Garas mainly. Let me just swap out that command grab for a mid... Thanks...

I am a Player coming from Killer Instinct, MVC, and SF. MK thoughts. Movement feels restrictive. So many frames on EVERYTHING from attacks to movement. The characters feel like they are made out of lead. Even blocking has massive visible startup animation. Jumps are very floaty.

The fastest poke is like 9 or 8 frames. I think thats why some of us 2d fighters are finding mk 11 clunky. Everything takes a long time to animate due to so many frames which gives the false impression that theres input delay.

As for noob. I think hes poorly designed. He's special move based char with few strings. Unfortunately his specials are super unsafe and have bad priority or dont lead to much. They lose most trades. No raw overhead normal at all means you never have to guard high vs him. Which means your only way to condition/open is with throws (not surprised his throw has a KB)

None of his advancing stings hit mid so he's easily pokeable or punishable by crouching.

He does have good pokes however. I play him like a grappler since he really cant open opponents up easily.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
It doesn't take six months to look at frame data or lab a character and see that their zoning is trash (Noob), strings are trash (Noob), or that they have no real way to open up another player.
But it does take 6 months to learn matchups and find tech for characters. Don't know if you were around during the MKX days but a lot of the craziness in that game took a while to find

Last edited:
honestly first impression is that characters seem super limited/linear in creativity and potential (i've only played tournament variations.) it's usually one different special move or something, as opposed to mkx where variations actually fundamentally changed a char (sorcerer quan chi vs summoner.) and even then the base of the chars has way less options than before. like kotal kahn only gets 1 totem to pick? and he can't place his sun anymore? and his sword special is only a mid now, he can't mix it up with low/mids? similar questions like that go through my head with most chars.

unlike mkx where i wanted to play many chars on day 1, here i can't find 1 that i think looks cool.

Why are so many strings so unsafe or like -6? It kind of feels like i lack ways to apply pressure. I do a string and my turn is always over. The few plus things chars have a gen all highs. This game has no raw armor moves that you can throw out at the end of a string to force an enemy to extend pressure or make them respect it.

It just feels like this game is set on taking turns. You do your string and ill block so you can do yours. Laxks mind games and feels stale. As of now im just thinking mkx was a much better game for someone who likes to rush and apply pressure like i do

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
The game is fine but most people are low iq scrubs who do one combo and think they mastered the game.

This is the best mk experience AS USUAL with nrs games.

character design makes sense and the custom variations are fun to do.

I've been playing Jade a lot in the game. It's kind of surprising, because I didn't use her much in MK9. She's now one of my mains in the game, along with Kitana. She's been a very fun character to play as.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
I know this isnt really a hot take but more of a prediction.
A lot of characters are missing special moves. There is just something missing that I am almost 100% sure is suppose to be there just from experience with other MK games. I get that this is not suppose to be like other MK games but some kits feel barebones asf. Cough Kollector Cough

I dont really have too much of an issue with Breakaways but I can see later down the line people holding their stamina because some wake ups are ass. cough Kollector's cough They're probably gonna change it to 1 hit of armor instead of whatever amount of hits it has now. Saw a Jade do a multi hitting normal and didnt pop it so its def more than 2 hits.

Fatal blows are fucking LONG. I love me a good one but the amount of time that shit takes is insane and honestly wish there was an option in the tournament variation for reduced fatal blow animation time. Also if you whiff a FB you should lose your stamina or have it go on a longer cooldown cause having an option like that on the table for for free is not ok.

That hotfix was band aid fix and characters will be fixed properly when NRS figure out how to fix some of the issues the characters were having. Hence some chracters having things taken away or reduced significantly. Some league of legends shit where they make someone ass so they dont see them everywhere while they try to find ways to balance them. Cough Kollector/D' Vorah FUCKING Cough

Kustom variations will be tourney legal. Remember this.

I could also be wrong on all of these since its only been 2 days but these are some GLARING issues that dont need weeks of testing to notice might be an issue.

LawAbidingCitizen

The fastest poke is like 9 or 8 frames. I think thats why some of us 2d fighters are finding mk 11 clunky
Well if you are coming over from SF then MK games will seem slow. Our fastest pokes are 6-7 frames on MK11 and the past 3 games. Not3 frames like SF

Even though it's a 2D fighter our normals work more like 3D fighters. Our normals are slower allowing wiff punish and jumps to be faster than pokes. It's just a different style than fighters you have played.

Somnuse

Noob
Game seems mad slow to me. I'm really not a fan of short, low-hit combos with high damage. Part of the fun in playing MK was executing longer combos. Game seems much less "swag" in terms of the combos, for lack of better term. I played Smoke in 9 and Jax in MKX. Variation system is a mess, massive oversight that the tournament variations aren't set as the default ones. Unsure of the future of the variation system so sticking to tournament variations for now, but then I might be messing up because they may end up changing what is allowed and what isn't. Variation system seems like a total downgrade from MKX, would be different if they let everyone pick what they want. Some of the krushing blows are lame, like 2 consecutive Back 2 on hit on Raiden to activate... I get the mind game it sets up with his low starter but it just seems lame. Not a fan of the krushing blows in general as it's distracting from the view of the fight. Cut the crap, I just want to fight. I could totally do without any type of side scrolling, focused in zooming type moves in these games. It doesn't add anything to the fight for me visually, it's just distracting. Fatal blow wiffs shouldn't allow you to use it again, although only getting to use it once per match balances it some. The grinding part of the Krypt doesn't bother me that much as I end up having extra koins and shit and most of it is just cosmetic stuff. The Krypt itself is fantastic visually, lots of fun to explore. The PC versions menus are 30 FPS, the Krypt is as well. It's 2019, give me a dedicated PC version not just a shitty port, please. Couldn't give a shit less about how revealing the females are or are not. I liked the more realistic approach to char design MKX went for over MK9. Back to gameplay, again, the game feels ultra slow. Some people like the more neutral focused game in MK11, but I miss the fast paced gameplay. I feel like I'm playing a slower street fighter or something. Stages look great, character design looks fantastic. The game just feels boring as fuck, really. I guess whenever the game progresses and more people are using perfect block, get up system, hop attacks, etc. it will add some more flavor. Seems like most characters are bland and missing elements to their gameplay. Playing Jax now and he seems good relative to the rest of the cast. Couple things are concerning, like his strings having big gaps in them. Playing mostly computer now for practice but a lot of the Hard level computer is knocking me out of my strings. I miss dash punch, even after the armor nerf in MKX. Seems like NRS wants everyone to feel more grounded with less options. It's like rather than everyone feeling strong everyone just feels weak, but it's okay because everyone is equally weak. I'd rather have a high-powered character and fight the same, personally. The game felt of a higher intensity that way. I get that it's day 2 but an example of one of the best combos I can come up with on Jax is F33 BF2 (MB) F4 D12 DB1. Conversely, here's a Jax combo from MKX: 123 DB2 (run cancel) 12 BF2 + Down (MB) F21 11 F212 D12 DB1. Even in the corner my combo extenders are something simple like 1 1 1 into D12. In MKX and MK9, it'd be something like 11 11 11 124. Air to air seems worse, it seems super difficult to convert off say air to air punch, might be able to get a 2 hit string off if it starts with a quick start up advancing move. Things like scorpion's spear not being true CC unless you MB it feels watered down. Even the MB version is a super quick CC, not something like MKX where it afforded enough time to do JIP then combo more. Vortex characters seems gone, which some people may be glad about. I thought that was a cool way to play the game. I don't think many characters have true special cancels like LK's fireball, Jax's rocket, etc. I believe Kabal has NDC and that seems like close to it, maybe Jacqui has one and I heard it costs meter. I felt that special cancelling characters were a really fun way to play a pressure character. Seems like a lot of nuance things that were mechanically challenging are gone like converting off Kung Lao's divekick or something like Smoke's air to air into d1 d1 smoke bomb, those types of things. Now you just spend meter and get an extra 8%~ on it. And lastly, RIP neutral jump punch. There was a certain flow to mk9/mkx that doesn't seem present here.

Sorry for the disorganized mess of thoughts here. I love the series and maybe I'm just someone who hates change, I don't know. I don't dislike the game or think it's bad, I'm having fun now and looking forward to the game's progression. I'm just critical of the game because I have a lot of love for the series. Been playing 10~ hours each day the last 2 days. All that being said, I know for a fact the complexity and pace of the game will pick up once more tech is discovered and people are learning matchups better. However, I don't think it's wrong to have an initial impression of the game and share it. Cheers.

I love the combo system. It's reminiscent of Tekken, another series I'm a fan of. I enjoy just memorizing certain combos, even if some can take a while. With a few characters, I don't even need to take a look at the moves list anymore.

Wigy

There it is...
Maybe I'm just ass but machine gun pokes seem a real problem in this. I'm having to like double poke people and then grab to stop the d1 mashing

Well if you are coming over from SF then MK games will seem slow. Our fastest pokes are 6-7 frames on MK11 and the past 3 games. Not3 frames like SF

Even though it's a 2D fighter our normals work more like 3D fighters. Our normals are slower allowing wiff punish and jumps to be faster than pokes. It's just a different style than fighters you have played.
Absolutely. Not a bad thing at all. I have been utilizing strings for movement too. Some strings are active for eternity, move you, and can OS. Game reminds me of like a 2D.5 Tekken but not quite. My issue is more along character philosophies and balancing. The game is very intuitive and easy to pick up imo but the frames for some chars make no sense. Luckily all that requires is tweaks. The base game is fundamentally solid although i cant meaty traditionally

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
H
Maybe I'm just ass but machine gun pokes seem a real problem in this. I'm having to like double poke people and then grab to stop the d1 mashing
Have u tried the poke hop meta yet? I havent been online since the beta tryin to finish some single player content first

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
After blocking a D1, you can punish their D1 if they go for another one. Either with a reversal or a combo starter. You can also flawless block D1 mashing. It takes practice but definitely possible.

Wigy

There it is...
After blocking a D1, you can punish their D1 if they go for another one. Either with a reversal or a combo starter. You can also flawless block D1 mashing. It takes practice but definitely possible.
What I'm saying is that punishing d1's with a mid in this game seems harder. Like they have less frames of duration in recovery or whatever.

Maybe just gotta work out the kinks but geras d1 is infuriating