What's new

What is your day 1 hot take?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I mean we had Kabal in the beta, his combo paths are extremely limited so it isn't hard to definitively say that we know his max damage midscreen off B12 or F22. A quick glance at erron, sonya, geras, and jax (probably others) make Kabal look pretty lacking.
Dude I think Kabal is still looks really strong. His normal combo damage is buns but he gets high damage off his krushing blows and his ndc pressure is good, f3 ndc is plus 8 and he has a hitconfirmable 9f mid. You just need to be conservative with your krushing blows so you get high damage punishes.

I think a lot of interest in the game hinged on Custom Variations being the standard, and without it the game is bland. Trying out new move combinations and seeing what other people are trying while you hone in on what works for you was what was fun about the beta. With that gone, I don't see Ranked being as popular as previous titles, given how trash most of the tourney variations are.

Also, I think they need to go back to allowing punish Krushing blows to trigger mid combo and not just as a combo starter/first hit. There are a large variety of punish/counter KBs that are not only ill-suited to use as a punish or to fish for counter hits with, but are also outdamaged by doing a normal combo that has no KBs. For example, why would I ever directly punish something with SZ's amplified shoulder charge, when I can instead use a faster string into an iceball combo that does 5-10% more damage? And why would I ever play footsies with shoulder charge in an attempt to get a counter hit, when I can just use b14 into a full combo? This is another change that makes the game more bland by taking away combo options and decision making, ultimately making several KBs not even worth trying to use outside or rare instances.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
My hot take: I don’t actually mind the grind WHEN it is in reason. Some of the towers are still ridiculously hard, and the worst currency, without a doubt, is time crystals. Those are the worst offenders because you can’t get them without actually doing something quite difficult like leveling up or randomly finding them. At least coins, souls and hearts are achievable.

They also made some characters feel completely different. Mainly, Kitana (a negative example where the character doesn’t feel at all familiar) and D’vorah (A positive example where the redesign stays true to the original vision)

For me it’s not as good as MK 2011 but better than MKX.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
Digging everything about the fighting itself, not so everything else. Story was ok but silly ending. None of my mains, can't find a character yet :/

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Here’s my hot take. Take this thread, but make every other post a 10-second FATAL BLOW video. You can’t continue to the next post until you have finished the previous FATAL BLOW video. Would you be sick of Fatal Blows by the end of page 1?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
If you think the reason Noob is trash is because klone isnt overhead you are a clueless scrub

Real hot take is that the game is completely unfinished and my disappointment in how little content I am going to experience in this games lifetime with all the gear/intros/brutalities locked behind grind walls and custom variations being illegal is immeasurable.

Last edited:
-not an initial fan of going back to slow gameplay, i liked mkxs run. Ill give it time though

- the story is pretty bad and makes kotal kahn look like a total bitch

-dvorah frame nerfs were pretty bad

-i dont like the new breaker system that seems to only work if youre juggled

-i think crushing blows do too much damage

-not a fan of the fatal blow system over the xrays.

- jax is nowhere near as swaggy as he was in mkx

-i preferred the longer, skill based combos from mkx over these short, but harder hitting ones

-Noob has 3 trillion frames of recovery on his projectiles

Im giving the game time. Maybe some of this stuff will come to grow on me after i play more. I hate slow paced games which is why i loved being able to rush down and run in mkx.

Last edited:
Everyone thinks their character is bad and it's hilarious.
That's one thing I think is universal about this game. They weakened almost every character compared to MKX so it feels like we're playing underpowered versions. I think the characters are relatively balanced with respect to other characters but at the same time it feels like they gimped characters unnecessarily.

I think NRS took a giant risk with the KB system and FB system and it turns out it makes the game less fun.

P.S. I HATE fatal blows. I hate how the last 10 seconds of every match comes down to who can use their win button first. I don't mind supers but a fighting game shouldn't have matches revolve around supers. There's times when it's better to let your opponent hit you so that your fatal blow comes up and you can cheese your way to victory. They are so good that it becomes an incentive to take damage.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
flawless block must be the biggest shit a game dev. ever has released
NO ONE is using it.

i havent seen any of the top tier players use it ONCE in their streaming sessions.
nor did i ever see some of the NRS guys use it at the kombat kast gameplays lol
God damn scrubs not being able to perfectly execute just frame block and punish on the first day of launch fuxking scrubs

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
flawless block must be the biggest shit a game dev. ever has released
NO ONE is using it.

i havent seen any of the top tier players use it ONCE in their streaming sessions.
nor did i ever see some of the NRS guys use it at the kombat kast gameplays lol
Flawless blocking is completely new to NRS games and it will take time for people to add it to their overall gameplan. We'll likely see much more of it once people have had more time with the game.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
As I said during the beta (and got shit on for), the combos are not there. They don't feel crazy swaggy like they did in MKX. Ask Kitana players how they feel about her juggles now.

Random Krypt content is horseshit.

No explanation of how to receive skins in-game in the description the shop shows is so fucking slimy. Chances are, you'll NEVER get that skin without paying for it.

Tournament variations feel rushed and incredibly incomplete. Variation-wise, without the custom variations being used, it was handled much better in MKX. Shit, we only get two now and they both feel incomplete? And yes, I know NRS said they'd be adding more as they go.

Disappointing launch for me, for sure.

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
T
As I said during the beta (and got shit on for), the combos are not there. They don't feel crazy swaggy like they did in MKX. Ask Kitana players how they feel about her juggles now.

Random Krypt content is horseshit.

No explanation of how to receive skins in-game in the description the shop shows is so fucking slimy. Chances are, you'll NEVER get that skin without paying for it.

Tournament variations feel rushed and incredibly incomplete. Variation-wise, without the custom variations being used, it was handled much better in MKX. Shit, we only get two now and they both feel incomplete? And yes, I know NRS said they'd be adding more as they go.

Disappointing launch for me, for sure.
They just need to forego adding more variations and just give us full on custom variations and balance it from there. Give us a reason to use these moves.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Initial reaction: Gameplay is fun, Rousey isn't as bad in story mode as I thought (but is obviously not good), they really need to find a way to add customs to tournament/competitive, and I can't wait to see what this game looks like in about a month once things have started to settle down.

Knobbonk

Burn this motherfucker to the ground
Here's a hot fuckin' take:

Why are the developers setting the rules for our community events? Honestly, if the default preset 2 variations are more fun and interesting than the ones prebuilt by NRS, there's absolutely nothing stopping us from running tournaments in plain ol' versus mode and using the built in presets. Or fuck, even creating our own community list of tournament approved variants. It'd be more work for TO's making sure consoles are correctly set up, but shit, we have to customize tournament chars for training mode already anyway. We can balance the game to suit our needs, not what NRS thinks is best for online ranked, which is 100% how they've approached balance in the past.

Day 2 hot takes:
Erron Black is amazing. probable main
Kung Lao has a ton of swag
D'vorah is super cool (idk about those nerfs tho)
Skarlet has the best voice in the game and it's not even close

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Real hot take is that the game is completely unfinished and my disappointment in how little content I am going to experience in this games lifetime with all the gear/intros/brutalities locked behind grind walls and custom variations being illegal is immeasurable.
Couldn't agree more. Anyone who thinks this shit is ok is part of the problem.

In INJ2 I played a lot of Robin. I really wanted the Staff of Grayson just to mess around with in player matches. Guess what? I never fucking got it. Ever. Hundreds upon hundreds of hours and I never got it.

Locking Brutalities and Fatalties behind horseshit RNG, loot boxes or absurd grinds that aren't fun whatsoever is not ok.