What's new

Question What does "Rush Down" Freddy mean?

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I think m2dave is mostly right on Freddy but agree you need to do the damage when you can. M2Dave, you'll spend the meter to teleport away instead of full combo off an ex spike. It seems to me that the best use of meter just depends on when in the round you use it. Start off running away and zoning. But towards the end of the match if you have a combo that you can spike do an ex spike to do big damage instead of going back full screen. Point is you need to do some damage when they get in, not just have an escape plan when they do.

Rush down is completely the wrong term for up close Freddy though, and I'll say I agree that no true rush down Freddy exists. Rush down implies someone like Cage or Sonya being in your face. I see it more like when Freddy has meter and the opponent has gotten in he turns into Scorpion's game. Guess right and you do major damage on them, wrong and you either need to use your meter to get out or you eat major damage yourself. Scar has talked a ton about his rush down Freddy but watching him play it just seems like he zones mid screen instead of full screen and runs away a little less but he is by no means in their face the entire time.

Pig Of The Hut NMS after a string is not safe, anyone can either d3 or d4 even if you do 1,2, or 3. He still has a hit box while moving and they take priority. Also NMS~teleport leaves his hit box in the flames so he can be hit out of it, ex teleport is safe to everything but throws. Dizzy so far is the only one I've seen punish an ex teleport with a throw consistently but there is no 100% safe way out for Freddy. SquirtMcGirt m2dave can you verify I have it all correct about NMS?

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
I think m2dave is mostly right on Freddy but agree you need to do the damage when you can. M2Dave, you'll spend the meter to teleport away instead of full combo off an ex spike. It seems to me that the best use of meter just depends on when in the round you use it. Start off running away and zoning. But towards the end of the match if you have a combo that you can spike do an ex spike to do big damage instead of going back full screen. Point is you need to do some damage when they get in, not just have an escape plan when they do.

Rush down is completely the wrong term for up close Freddy though, and I'll say I agree that no true rush down Freddy exists. Rush down implies someone like Cage or Sonya being in your face. I see it more like when Freddy has meter and the opponent has gotten in he turns into Scorpion's game. Guess right and you do major damage on them, wrong and you either need to use your meter to get out or you eat major damage yourself. Scar has talked a ton about his rush down Freddy but watching him play it just seems like he zones mid screen instead of full screen and runs away a little less but he is by no means in their face the entire time.

Pig Of The Hut NMS after a string is not safe, anyone can either d3 or d4 even if you do 1,2, or 3. He still has a hit box while moving and they take priority. Also NMS~teleport leaves his hit box in the flames so he can be hit out of it, ex teleport is safe to everything but throws. Dizzy so far is the only one I've seen punish an ex teleport with a throw consistently but there is no 100% safe way out for Freddy. SquirtMcGirt m2dave can you verify I have it all correct about NMS?
I would say so. In order for nightmare stance to be effective in block strings you have to make them respect other options. I play with a dude who will blow up my nightmare stance in block strings if i dont condition him to block first (for instance doing things like f+4 , D+1 and f+4,2 D+1 or exspikes. not to say nightmare stance is bad but you cant just throw it out all willy nilly and not expect to get blown up. i would say nms best use is as a spacing tool to launch your opponents when they wiff moves or to knock down an approching opponent. it also adds extra run away to your tele when they arent in your face. But you are right it can be blown up.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I would say so. In order for nightmare stance to be effective in block strings you have to make them respect other options. I play with a dude who will blow up my nightmare stance in block strings if i dont condition him to block first (for instance doing things like f+4 , D+1 and f+4,2 D+1 or exspikes. not to say nightmare stance is bad but you cant just throw it out all willy nilly and not expect to get blown up. i would say nms best use is as a spacing tool to launch your opponents when they wiff moves or to knock down an approching opponent. it also adds extra run away to your tele when they arent in your face. But you are right it can be blown up.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something character specific I didn't realize that someone can't poke it or something. I think the best use of NMS is on wake up to run away from most attacks trying to stuff a wake up. I know a few can stuff it but not many. Second best use is altering the timing of your zoning to cause them to misread when the next projectile/spike is coming.

SquirtMcGirt

I was actually gonna mention the mind fuck it causes in zoning but we were talking about rush down lol.

SquirtMcGirt

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something character specific I didn't realize that someone can't poke it or something. I think the best use of NMS is on wake up to run away from most attacks trying to stuff a wake up. I know a few can stuff it but not many. Second best use is altering the timing of your zoning to cause them to misread when the next projectile/spike is coming.
Oh and i love using nms on wake up XD people always say the same thing...."Thats a wake up move ?" LMAO

VOR

Noob
I don't think anyone is trying to tell Dave to completely change his game, but instead catch your opponent off guard with something sometimes, go for the 50/50 when you can afford it, capitalize on combos and make the most of certain situations. I main Ermac, who is not a rushdown character, but in Freddy, Raiden, Smoke to some degree, and Kenshi I must try to overwhelm them with up close offense. I wouldn't call it pure rushdown like Cage or Sonya but when you gotta get in there and stay there that's what people call it. Rushdown.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
freddy is the only character who has both a completely safe over head starter (b2) and a safe low starter(b3).....epic pokes anyone?

SquirtMcGirt

freddy is the only character who has both a completely safe over head starter (b2) and a safe low starter(b3).....epic pokes anyone?
B+3,3 is -2 and B+2,4 is zero on block. Can you cancel B+2,4 into anything? I'm not at home to check.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
B+3,3 and B+2,4 are both zero on block. Can you cancel B+2,4 into anything? I'm not at home to check.

no, only b2. But yeah if you don't feel like going for the 50/50 combo's you can do pokes of b3 or b2 to check your opponent.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
I don't understand how anyone can call themselves the best with any character yet refuse to learn and utilize all aspects of his game. Maybe playing with the worst character in the game leads me to believe that every character has every tool for a reason, and Imo, which lbsh, means nothing but ill state it anyway, if m2dave isn't willing to learn his character inside and out and use every tool he has then m2dave is not Freddy, and is just waiting to be replaced. Jussayin.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Same goes for PL. He had one strategy with lao and it is now being blown up by everyone. If you cant switch from rushdown to zoning when the matchup calls for it, youre doing it wrong, bro.

Flagg

Noob
Kitana, Mileena, Sektor, Baraka, Shang, Skarlett......

You get all F's on your report card for that post. Now you can take all those F's and put them in front of Eddy's name. :p

m2dave - I just started learning Freddy, so idk, but he seems like he has some decent combos thus far, but I guess if they are all highly punishable on block, it's not safe to use them for pressure which would explain why you only combo when people get close, then you get them away from you again after your combo.
Baraka and Skarlet are rush down, where do you get the idea they are zoners. You may as well have included Cage as a random "zoner". You're right that Mileena and Kit can zone and rush. Aw well, 3 out of 6 wasn't a bad counter point to make..

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Baraka and Skarlet are rush down, where do you get the idea they are zoners. You may as well have included Cage as a random "zoner". You're right that Mileena and Kit can zone and rush. Aw well, 3 out of 6 wasn't a bad counter point to make..
Baraka and Skarlett have excellent Zoning tools, considering you understand the true meaning of Zoning is not merely standing full-screen and lobbing projectiles. Zoning means controlling space and you can Zone with NORMALS if the character has the tools to do so.

Flagg

Noob
Kano has a superior projectile to Baraka, does that make him a zoner? And Skarlets projectile is a long range poke as it does piss all damage which allows her to get in and extend combos. And considering I use Baraka, Skarlet, Kano, Sindel and Freddy, yes I know the difference between zoning and lobbing something from full screen.

Explain to me how Baraka is a zoner.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I call bullshit on Baraka being a zoner. Try out zoning Kabal, Kenshi or even Freddy with him and see what happens...

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Kano has a superior projectile to Baraka, does that make him a zoner? And Skarlets projectile is a long range poke as it does piss all damage which allows her to get in and extend combos. And considering I use Baraka, Skarlet, Kano, Sindel and Freddy, yes I know the difference between zoning and lobbing something from full screen.

Explain to me how Baraka is a zoner.
because they use it to CONTROL SPACE. Just because they can be OUT-zoned doesn't mean they can not do zoning of their own.

I call bullshit on Baraka being a zoner. Try out zoning Kabal, Kenshi or even Freddy with him and see what happens...
Play Toxic, he plays a Zoning Baraka. Again, considering everyone knows the true meaning of Zoning. THTB, maybe he can explain better since I don't have the patience to deal w/ people anymore.

Flagg

Noob
Precisely. Take Sindel, arguably not as good at zoning as Freddy or Kabal, BUT she can still fight them at full screen and has options. What can Baraka do to those two at full screen?

I've noticed Barakas projectile has the quite annoying habit of interupting things like Ermac/Scorpion teleports on wakeup, as it is quite a large projectile, but lets be real, Baraka has better up close options than Freddy and Kenshi....Kabal, maybe not.

Flagg

Noob
because they use it to CONTROL SPACE. Just because they can be OUT-zoned doesn't mean they can not do zoning of their own.

Play Toxic, he plays a Zoning Baraka. Again, considering everyone knows the true meaning of Zoning. THTB, maybe he can explain better since I don't have the patience to deal w/ people anymore.
Why defer to someone else if you clearly can't provide proof that Baraka is a zoner beyond getting blown up by one zoning Baraka player. If I was you I would ask 1man3letters for his opinion on this, unless you can conjure up this great Baraka zoner?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I don't understand how anyone can call themselves the best with any character yet refuse to learn and utilize all aspects of his game. Maybe playing with the worst character in the game leads me to believe that every character has every tool for a reason, and Imo, which lbsh, means nothing but ill state it anyway, if m2dave isn't willing to learn his character inside and out and use every tool he has then m2dave is not Freddy, and is just waiting to be replaced. Jussayin.
I do utilize all aspects of Freddy's game, but I know where the character's strengths lie. Freddy is most effective when he keeps his opponent full screen away, where he has a large advantage against the vast majority of characters. If you want to win, you take advantage of your character's strengths. I do make mistakes, but when I end combos early or when I teleport instead of finishing combos, I do so entirely for positional advantages. Pig Of The Hut does so too, especially in the Kenshi vs. Cage match up.

I definitely think I can improve my footsies, but this "rush down Freddy" nonsense has to stop. Freddy cannot rush down just like Cage cannot zone. If you think Freddy can rush down, you know nothing about the character. Go use Smoke instead. He is a scrub-friendly character with simple rush down and footsies and highly damaging combos. He cannot be zoned, so you can suck at the game and still win.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Why defer to someone else if you clearly can't provide proof that Baraka is a zoner beyond getting blown up by one zoning Baraka player. If I was you I would ask 1man3letters for his opinion on this, unless you can conjure up this great Baraka zoner?
Ok, whatever you want, you can have your way, I'm not fucking arguing on this god damn forum anymore. You're right I'm wrong. I don't care.

However I repeat if you didn't get it the 1st time, you can ZONE WITH NORMALS. You don't even need a projectile.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
You are a fool and a known brown noser.

BuryMeInBlack is a very good Freddy player. Definitely better than the fraud named Scar. But he actually adapted my style of gameplay for a lot of his match ups, according to numerous online players.
Thats false, he doesnt zone at all.

the thing with Freddy's rushdown is its mostly shenanigans and no guaranteed continued pressure, if the player knows the MU, and the mixups, he can counter, but no one really does seeing how Freddys zoning options are so strong. Having said that, off of a b3 or b2 ex hell spike you can take like 46% damage and leave them full screen. So as impressive as your Freddy is with your zoning, if you mixed in a bit of close range, you could probably start placing even higher at majors. Just my two cents