What's new

Question What does "Rush Down" Freddy mean?

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
I don't think anyone is really encouraging for you to be like YOLO and rambo rush all of the Cages and Sonyas out there. I think what you need to do is to start capitalizing on every mistake an opponent makes with big damage.

If freddy was meant to be stricty a zoner character neather realm wouldnt have gave the character strings at all, just glove toss, hell spike, and ex hell spike... The tools are there and are there to be used, not to be ignored as worthless, he was one of the best 50/50 in the game
I understand what youre saying but you cant use that as a reason, because im pretty sure when nrs made kabal, they didnt want him to be able to zone the whole cast and rushdown the whole cast at the same time.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Sooo after reading this thread Im thinking. What if m2dave is actually asking for help on how to play rushdown freddy. All he did was ask a question in a way to provoke a shitstorm of knowledge.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Sooo after reading this thread Im thinking. What if m2dave is actually asking for help on how to play rushdown freddy. All he did was ask a question in a way to provoke a shitstorm of knowledge.
I am not asking for anything. I know how to play Freddy. I have used the character longer than everyone else and I have had more success with the character than everyone else. The only aspect of my game that I need to work on is footsies. This "m2dave needs to learn to rush down" nonsense is coming from noobs of the community and above average Freddy players like DarkNaTaS and EMP Scar. Once someone places top 8 at a major using only rush down Freddy, I will listen.

There's no such thing as a rushdown Freddy, it's all mind games and outsmarting the player upclose. I can't call it rushdown for the fact that he can get blown up after most of his block strings, but like viper said, I aswell like taking risks. and no I'm not the best, my only biggest flaw is I never break, NEVER. Only characters I zone, jc baraka and Sonya, those are a must.

Plop

Noob
I honestly think, Dave, that you would've finished a lot higher at evo if you had maximized your damage opportunities more instead of just uppercutting for example. I know it's already been said a million times in this thread, but I don't think anyone actually means you should rush down with Freddy. You're unquestionably using Freddy's zoning to the highest level (and the best zoner in MK in general) but with him having things like virtually safe 50/50's (leading into some hefty damage) and that fucked up corner game it seems silly to just disregard all that stuff completely just because his zoning is so good.
Obviously, it all calls for the situation to be right. By just having that stuff ready to be able to whip out when the time is right, would surely only evolve your game, not hinder it in any way. Just as long as your using it correctly.
This all actually reminds me of the 16bit vs CD rivalry from last year. 16bits zoning vs CD's rushdown. I know Kitana is an entirely different character to Freddy with better normals but worse zoning etc etc, but since 16bit has started incorporating the other aspects of Kitana's game (as opposed to just zoning all day...which he still likes to do to an extent) he has been doing a LOT better.

But that's just what i think. It's up to you at the end of the day. I always get a kick out of watching you play either way.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
This thread makes me laugh.

I am by no means a "tourney" player, and nor do i care to travel or play some of you so called "skilled" players. But rushdown freddy is something i have a bit of experience in. So let me say this. Freddy with two bars is the most dangerous character in the game. off of landing anything, even an anti air d+1, he gets from 80% to full death combo, and your oppenent only has 1 guess to get out, and it comes from an unseeable, un-fuzzy guardable and unescapable vortex

Rushdown freddy is about playing away/towards teleports properly and using goo to create inescapable "guess right or you're going to die now that i have two bars" combos

is freddy one of the best zoners in the game? absolutely, and you can get pretty far using just that. But to say that he can't rush down? well thats just blind ignorance.

For example: someone jumps in. d+1 anti air, F+4,1 DB1 claw, dash, B+2 into enhanced claw. Jump in punch

now, because of jump in punch stagger properties anything not immediately linked cannot be escaped, but can be blocked. so after jump in punch, wait a split second, and do either B+2 enhanced claw, or B+3 Enhanced claw into your prefered 50% combo. grats, they guessed wrong and just lost the round

He has so much other shit like this thats just insane, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I havent played this game in a long time, but occasionally i like to stop by these forums to see if anything new has come up. apparently not >.>

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I honestly think, Dave, that you would've finished a lot higher at evo if you had maximized your damage opportunities more instead of just uppercutting for example. I know it's already been said a million times in this thread, but I don't think anyone actually means you should rush down with Freddy. You're unquestionably using Freddy's zoning to the highest level (and the best zoner in MK in general) but with him having things like virtually safe 50/50's (leading into some hefty damage) and that fucked up corner game it seems silly to just disregard all that stuff completely just because his zoning is so good.
Obviously, it all calls for the situation to be right. By just having that stuff ready to be able to whip out when the time is right, would surely only evolve your game, not hinder it in any way. Just as long as your using it correctly.
This all actually reminds me of the 16bit vs CD rivalry from last year. 16bits zoning vs CD's rushdown. I know Kitana is an entirely different character to Freddy with better normals but worse zoning etc etc, but since 16bit has started incorporating the other aspects of Kitana's game (as opposed to just zoning all day...which he still likes to do to an extent) he has been doing a LOT better.

But that's just what i think. It's up to you at the end of the day. I always get a kick out of watching you play either way.
Well, I hope you (or the fool who posted below you) can answer the following question.

What are your set ups for the 50/50 mix ups aside from a jumping punch?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
freddie is best played as a zoner, who uses footsies and mind games mid screen, and only goes close quarters briefly to check the opponent, either with a 50/50 b3, b2 which could be cancelled into NMS if u wish or perform a blockstring and end with shift away. His oki setups are fuggin amazing.

Plop

Noob
Well, I hope you (or the fool who posted below you) can answer the following question.

What are your set ups for the 50/50 mix ups aside from a jumping punch?
I don't know Dave, I'm not a Freddy player, how does any character set up their 50/50's? It's up to you to figure that shit out.
All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to have that kinda stuff in your arsenal ready for when you need it, instead of just punishing with uppercuts or whatever all the time. It's pretty safe and sends them back full screen again for more zoning anyway so i can't see why you wouldn't at least try it.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I don't know Dave, I'm not a Freddy player, how does any character set up their 50/50's? It's up to you to figure that shit out.
All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to have that kinda stuff in your arsenal ready for when you need it, instead of just punishing with uppercuts or whatever all the time. It's pretty safe and sends them back full screen again for more zoning anyway so i can't see why you wouldn't at least try it.
freddy can get 52% midscreen offa 1 bar i think.

Plop

Noob
freddy can get 52% midscreen offa 1 bar i think.
Yeah, something like that. His damage output is insane, especially for a zoner. I see no reason why a Freddy player wouldn't at least have one go-to high damage BnB ready to whip out.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Hey guys the point is that you cant't base your strategy on this things. Sure its good to know it, and use when oportunity comes but .....