What's new

Question What does "Rush Down" Freddy mean?

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Well, I hope you (or the fool who posted below you) can answer the following question.

What are your set ups for the 50/50 mix ups aside from a jumping punch?
I'm a fool? you're missing the point.

First, it was just an example. Secondly, how much meter does freddy build? and how quickly? I think everyone can agree that he pumps meter extremely quickly.

So in my example, i gave you an option off of landing an anti air d+1 that leads to an unseeable mixup that can give you a full death combo, and even if your oppenent guesses correctly leaves you safe and at range to continue zoning if you choose to...at the cost of one bar?

but ok, you just keep ending things with uppercut. And you'll continue to lose majors, because you cant fight up close.

No one said freddy is johnny cage style rushdown, but he has ridiculous tools.

but since you want another way to set it up, here you go. Off of landing enhanced claw (or whatever combo you want), jump in punch, then F+2,1 NMS 2. Immediately teleport towards and then hold back. you will teleport over their body then walk back over it immediately letting you B+2 or B+3 into your mixup, and they cant roll out of it and also makes it difficult to do any wakeups since it reverses their inputs twice (or just end with a throw like i do to piss people off)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So in my example, i gave you an option off of landing an anti air d+1 that leads to an unseeable mixup that can give you a full death combo, and even if your oppenent guesses correctly leaves you safe and at range to continue zoning if you choose to...at the cost of one bar?
EX spike is safe but -6 on block, which means that characters like Cage, Cyrax, Kabal, Kung Lao, Sonya, etc. get to check you for free with a poke. You cannot continue zoning. If you have no meter as you have just wasted a bar, you are also stuck in long frame traps. These mix ups should especially never be attempted on Cyrax because you will have regrets if you do. Freddy should only go for these 50/50 mix ups when he is losing because a zoning Freddy will always be more successful than a Freddy who takes risks, even if these risks are small.

Yes, you are a fool because I have heard these arguments from others only a thousand times before. Until another player places top 8 at a major tournament only using Freddy and "fighting up close", I will concede that I am wrong. Until then, shut up, fool.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
EX spike is safe but -6 on block, which means that characters like Cage, Cyrax, Kabal, Kung Lao, Sonya, etc. get to check you for free with a poke. You cannot continue zoning. If you have no meter as you have just wasted a bar, you are also stuck in long frame traps. These mix ups should especially never be attempted on Cyrax because you will have regrets if you do. Freddy should only go for these 50/50 mix ups when he is losing because a zoning Freddy will always be more successful than a Freddy who takes risks, even if these risks are small.

Yes, you are a fool because I have heard these arguments from others only a thousand times before. Until another player places top 8 at a major tournament only using Freddy and "fighting up close", I will concede that I am wrong. Until then, shut up, fool.
Dave, I'm not going to argue with you. You may not realize it, but i actually WANT YOU TO WIN. I am not insulting you, or your playstyle. But don't think that just because you placed, that now you are the freddy of america, and your playstyle is the only one that could POSSIBLY work.

I have watched you play multiple times, and i'm always cheering for you. but the fact of the matter is that as soon as someone gets in on you, you turn mushy, and pliable. And sometimes, people WILL get in on you. it is inevitable. You HAVE to learn how to fight up close. Something. anything. If you cant understand that, you will keep losing unless the stars align.

I'm not going to respond to this anymore, so I'll just remind you what they say about people who keep doing the same thing, and expect different results.

primarily every tool freddy has is defensive and most of his mixups are best to resort to defense, so getting in on smoke is hard...however, b2 and b3 are both neutral, and you are not forced to spike after them, i find myself doing things like b2 (getting a hit) and then back 3 spike or f412 backwards tele or a grab, back2 into ex low claw isnt bad once in a while and gives you a free grab... the occasional ex sweet dreams to end a string, or nms stance mixup where you cancel it into back 2 isnt bad... but why rushdown when you dont have too? most of the time he should zone and work in grab setups up on grab setups... a lot of the somewhat gimmicky rushdown you can do smoke kind of blows up and the point is freddy cant get in on smoke really to start his up close game, his overhead and b3 are neutral which is solid, poeple tend to expect a follow up.

freddys best for taking advantage of his zoning and harassing the opponent, smoke says fuck you too that. its atleast 7-3.... i need my ex claws too much.

freddy has a shit tone of GIMMICKS that can work, but not a lot of sure fire rushdown potential that ive seen so far that isnt really risky

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
primarily every tool freddy has is defensive and most of his mixups are best to resort to defense, so getting in on smoke is hard...however, b2 and b3 are both neutral, and you are not forced to spike after them, i find myself doing things like b2 (getting a hit) and then back 3 spike or f412 backwards tele or a grab, back2 into ex low claw isnt bad once in a while and gives you a free grab... the occasional ex sweet dreams to end a string, or nms stance mixup where you cancel it into back 2 isnt bad... but why rushdown when you dont have too? most of the time he should zone and work in grab setups up on grab setups... a lot of the somewhat gimmicky rushdown you can do smoke kind of blows up and the point is freddy cant get in on smoke really to start his up close game, his overhead and b3 are neutral which is solid, poeple tend to expect a follow up.

freddys best for taking advantage of his zoning and harassing the opponent, smoke says fuck you too that. its atleast 7-3.... i need my ex claws too much.

freddy has a shit tone of GIMMICKS that can work, but not a lot of sure fire rushdown potential that ive seen so far that isnt really risky
This, Freddy gets blown up by Smoke pretty badly. He has nothing to scare Smoke at all. He has awful spacing besides ground claws (very risky and on hit you LOSE positional advantage anyways unless you want to waste a bar lol), bad pressure, his ex sweet dreams gets him blown up. m2dave knows this better than anyone, you just cancel into shake the minute you see it lmao. smoke can easily pressure Freddy because he has no fast normals or bullshit off of pokes.

Smoke does very well in this match-up for a reason guys. "Rushdown Freddy" consists of jumping + praying because he has no solid way to physically advance and start pressure against most of the cast besides jumping lol. Freddy is built for zoning, you should initiate the 50/50 if you have spare meter and land a jump in, but you shouldn't go shooting for it all day, otherwise it's GG's Freddy.

That being said it is still important to work on your phsyical fundamentals with Freddy, and i think that's what Scar is sort of getting at.