What's new

Wavedashing in MK11? How do you feel about this? Video and Poll and inside!

Does the MK11 version of dash blocking harm the "neutral heavy focus" gameplay that we expected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This is how it'll work in footsies according to the person who discovered the technique.

He says not to overreact, but honestly time will tell how NRS feels about this.

I'm honestly mixed on it. It looks like fun, but I'm concerned that NRS balanced without it in mind and some characters might benefit from it and some might suffer.

Wonder what he meant by "with regular speed" lol. The funny thing is, it could actually work, but that's why I hate it. The scary part imo is that it could actually play out that way. It makes the game easier once you learn the execution which I don't consider a good thing, and execution is irrelevant because good to great players always learn it. I'd prefer the walking and thinking version of fighting than the power of wave dashing in a game like MK11. An example I think of is something like this.

You're in that 2/5 away distance (slightly away from jump in or attacks). Both characters are trying to maintain pace and hit the opening mid match. One character whiffs a mid. There are two results.

-None Wave System. You use this whiff to walk forward into your range, dash forward, throw a projectile, walk backwards, depending on the characters and situation.

-Wave System. I wave dash my way in on your whiff and start applying pressure, as your whiff recovery is not fast enough to react to my wave speed and it's easily the most superior option to apply.

This is just one example, but I think it will simplify the game quite a bit. Certain characters like Jacqui in that video would never have a reason not to wave dash in during neutral on given opportunities to. Whereas without it, there are deeper layers of thought and meta involved. Maybe I'm traumatized from a decade and a half of wave dash defending in Tekken (still have PTSD from T4 Jin just ask Eddy lol), but I'm hoping this is removed.

Kaneki

UPR Kaneki
I’m sorry but this literally looks too goofy. I can’t really make a solid opinion without playing it first but this doesn’t really seem to fit with the game. This really looks like it’s going to hurt characters with slow normals and zoners over all. I really liked the pace of the beta and wanted to keep that.

I'm not sure if it's gonna be an Issue or not from a gameplay viewpoint, but holy fuck that Sub wave dashing looks equally ugly and funny (not the good kind of funny). It's like fucking Torrente dancing, just eye bleeding material.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
I dont see how the thinking aspect in the game would be disrupted by this.You would still have to use your head,particularly against a character and player with great zoning and spacing skills.Dont get this twisted dash blocking isnt free by any means you still have to be patient and play the neutral game.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Looks bad enough right now that NRS will probably address it. Rather than just tone down the cancel frames, my own vote would be to remove dash blocking altogether.

It’s impossible to say right now whether it “ruins” the slower-paced, neutral-heavy, strategic footsies MK11 was purportedly built around, but it’s definitely disruptive, in a bad way.

It disproportionately benefits rushdown characters and harms everyone else, by giving the former a direct counter to the space control tools the mid-range and zoning characters are built around, without giving any downside or weakness to balance it.

The game doesn’t need it. The rushdown characters are already brimming with high mobility and counter-zoning tools. Mid-range and zoning tools have been made near-universally slow-starting and unsafe on block. There’s already a balance, and dash blocking just tips the scale for no good reason.

This isn’t MK9. This is MK11. Let it be it’s own game.

Gamer68

Fujin!
When I saw the Kotal and Subby wavedashing I was thinking "okay, this looks like it could be busted but let's just wait"

Then I saw Skarlet sliding across the stage.

Nah, this is probably going to have to get fixed. lol

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hmm seems fine to me, I do wonder if every character has the same movement however.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It’s actually slower tha mk9s.. this is literally what everyone here was crying for and now it’s here and people are bitching.. lol cmon guys
Everyone? I think the overwhelming majority of people who wanted that back were MK9 loyalist. I definitely never saw people who started grinding NRS games post-MK9 wanting that back in any game since, which is most of the current player base.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Different characters have different wavedash speeds, the rushdown characters are the fastest.
Yeah I'm watching some of the other vids, noticing that lol. I think if it's an issue, NRS will patch it to slow it down a tad but time will tell.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Hope it gets patched out. If dashes are strong, they should be a lot less safe imo. I don't see dash blocking working as well as it did in MK9 based on everything we've seen from MK11 so far.

haketh

Noob
Looks pretty easy to throw someone trying to do this sloppily since you have to block cancel the step. Despite being someone who’s gonna be playing a zoner I’m pro this.

Gonna allow you to move in & reposition better for things like or AAs & keep pressure after things like people have already pointed out on twitter. Also this has applications in combos so I’m looking forward to what people come up with.