What's new

Wavedashing in MK11? How do you feel about this? Video and Poll and inside!

Does the MK11 version of dash blocking harm the "neutral heavy focus" gameplay that we expected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If this turns out to be useful like OP useful against zoners and getting in, you're going to see a lot of safe pokes and throwing going on.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I am not a high level player so my opinion doesn't hold much weight here but I really don't like that. I thought dashes needed a slight buff in the beta but nothing like that stuff that has been posted here. It seemed like they wanted a slower more neutral based game and I feel like this kind of works against that? Idk. Do you think NRS even knew it was there? Is it intentional?

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I have a few questions as i didnt play mk9.

Does this advance forward whilst blocking?
Can the dash be cancelled at any time with block?

Does this work with backdashing also?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
UGH WHY

There was nothing wrong with the dashes in the beta.
I knew this was going to happen when all the prominent streamers started crying.
Dude this is clearly an exploit, let’s not act like this was an intentional feature they added, look at that horrific animation clipping.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
This thread is to long for me to bother reading all 5 pages... but just incase no one has posted it Lord Brady has done a nice anti-bullshit video for all the people freaking out about this old scool Block-Dashing mechanism (It was known in MK9 Era as block-dashing... and so shall I always call it)

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I just want to know if it was intentional or not. If they intended for this to be in the game fine but if not...well who the f*** hired this guy (the testers) and it should be removed imo.

Like I said, if it is meant to be there that's fine ill learn to do it and apply it to my gameplay the best I can but if it was just an oversight...patch it, patch it with fire!

E

Eldriken

This thread is to long for me to bother reading all 5 pages... but just incase no one has posted it Lord Brady has done a nice anti-bullshit video for all the people freaking out about this old scool Block-Dashing mechanism (It was known in MK9 Era as block-dashing... and so shall I always call it)

Does he show a comparison to how it works in both MK9 and MK11? If not, it's a moot point because we can't compare its effectiveness right now in a live setting.

I can see peoples' concerns. We thought we were getting away from "get in quick tools" that were in MKX and we have this as a potential part of the game. Know what else? If this is strong, it costs no resources. All it takes is time to learn.

You get to move in defensively for what seems little to no risk. This could not be the case, however. We really don't know how good/bad this is.

People have every right to be concerned, especially if this is more beneficial for some characters and not others (like a select few).

People had issues with the dash speed and it got buffed. That's what people asked for, not this.

I don't see how anyone can support this being in the game if it turns out to be a very powerful tactic. Why would you want this? The majority of people seemed to be excited for MK11's slower approach to things because it would probably be less braindead than MKX. Yet people seem to fully support suddenly being able to close the gap in like a second without having to spend any resources.

Personally I hope this is unintentional because it doesn't look like it belongs in the game.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I played it and I'm still skeptical about it. It may be really dumb. Notice I said "may", leaving it up in the air. I'm reserving full judgment of it until we see it in action.
Eldriken, I was most definitely around back then. We were both in RM. You were an Injustice 1 player. If you played MK9 on a competitive level, you would understand

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
If someone was able to punish from accross the screen with this mechanic it seems like it’d be hype as hell. And there don’t seem to be videos of how easy/hard it is to punish this. It looks like users of this mechanic are much more open than many are suggesting.

E

Eldriken

Eldriken, I was most definitely around back then. We were both in RM. You were an Injustice 1 player. If you played MK9 on a competitive level, you would understand
I played MK9 competively plenty. I didn't travel to tournaments back then, but MK9 is what got me into competitive gaming.

There is nothing wrong with people being concerned with this, y'know? Those who overreact are another story. But people who express legitimate concern for this have a right to until they're able to see what it's really about.

This wavedashing doesn't seem to fit or suit the way MK11 functions. This is just speculation from a video I've seen and basing that off of what I played in the beta. If that kind of movement was always present in the game, it really doesn't look like it would make sense or be fun.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I'm not big on this personally. It feels unintentional. They allowed dashes to be canceled into strings / specials which allows combo extensions similar to how run was used in MKX, and that I love, its a huge improvement. It provides so much utility even for strings that you'd typically write-off as bad.

This "feature" feels like an accidental oversight of them allowed blocking to be one of the things that cancels it as well (when there's no reason for it to be). In training mode doing quick block/wave dashes, I was accidentally blocking most projectiles without timing anything (keep in mind, you're literally canceling your movement to block), and that was me screwing it up a lot of the time. This alongside flawless blocking (which I got several of accidentally testing this as well) made it feel like zoning didn't matter. Keep in mind this is just me in practice mode though, so take what I say completely with a grain of salt.

I think this is definitely something to be talked about early and concerned about either way.

I think we should see how certain characters deal with this first. Remember, they recently balanced dashes based on a character by character basis

people are so happy that mk11 is footsies base and then that the run is gone but meanwhile vote to keep it ... :rolleyes:
this visual wise looks like absolute trash

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What's MK9 got to do with anything? This is MK11 :coffee:
My favorite argument bro. "If you weren't at EVO for MK9 in 2011 you wouldn't understand". Yea, it looked stupid then and it looks stupid now. It requires nothing but learning how to do it to have access to a powerful game altering tool, in a currently incredibly more balanced and up to date game. Of course you needed it back then when Kenshi, Kabal, and Freddy had game breaking zoning. Again, that terrible balance and those broken frames were 8 years ago. Time to move on. This game is far, far different and doesn't need this.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I personally think it looks stupid, but at a competitive stand-point, I don't really see how that matters. As long as it's not Skarlet sliding across the floor with no animation, I don't care how goofy the characters look while dashing (but yeah, it could look better).

This is one of those things where it's best to see how it plays out. But if I had to give my initial impressions, I don't really like it because some characters can get up on you so quickly it might as well be a run from MKX but this time with blocking while advancing.

That's not really the "patient game" MK11 is suppose to be about, but hey, like I said we should wait.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
For me the real issue is that it is a typical knee jerk reaction from some people. Crying to social media and going on about how eveything should be changed... I think that entire attitude is ridiculous. The game is not even out. I mean LITERALLY not even out, and people are already asking for changes and bitching about stuff.

Let the game breath. Try playing it and adjusting to what it IS instead of asking for it to change to you. The meta game this creates is unknown and everything people are saying could be true and the game could still be awesome because of the meta it creates by this and all the other systems that are in the game interacting. It is that interaction that no one knows dick about. Metas take time to grow and they grow through adaptation, not through patching.

I get that people nowadays are so self absorbed and full of themselves that everything needs comments, everything needs to be adjusted to fit them and all that. We will see 50 page "my character is broken" threads in 2 hours of the game going live. Yeah I get it.

Just let the game breath, let a meta grow, let the designers do their thing. This same idea was in MK9 and was awesome, it could also be awesome here... lets maybe find out before acting like a bunch of entitles prigs.

(also there is a known day 1 patch coming that is not out yet.... just saying)

Last edited:

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Everyone thanks Maximilian dood for this LMAO.
A lot of people were vocal about dashes. I saw plenty of people very specifically ask for MK9 Dash Blocking on social media, even. And that's what we got, and then some extra wavedash spice on top of it. This was a community effort, let's not point fingers at specific individuals nor forget that NRS chose to remedy it in this way specifically.

D

Deleted member 35141

I loved mk9 but that game had a lot of broken unbalanced crap so I don't think looking to it for examples is a good thing.
If it's intended fine I'll learn it and get use to it but it looks terrible.

DarkSado

Noob
A lot of people were vocal about dashes. I saw plenty of people very specifically ask for MK9 Dash Blocking on social media, even. And that's what we got, and then some extra wavedash spice on top of it. This was a community effort, let's not point fingers at specific individuals nor forget that NRS chose to remedy it in this way specifically.
Everyone agree to a buff to dash but not to this. Every time I see max video he always complain that mk 11 should have mk 9 dash or run button well he got his wish LMAO

Kaneki

UPR Kaneki
Everyone agree to a buff to dash but not to this. Every time I see max video he always complain that mk 11 should have mk 9 dash or run button well he got his wish LMAO
No he wanted the dashes to be touch a little bit for mk11, hell all of us was asking for the dashes to be buff and they listened. His main complaints are he wants to see more combo paths in the game and more execution but that’s a whole other discussion.

Honestly after thinking about it we just have to wait for the game to come out to see if dash blocking is broke or not. We really shouldn’t be asking for patches without trying it first. If the day 1 patch remove then it won’t hurt anyone and if it stays then we let it take it course.