What's new

UMK3's Kara and Glitch Jab's

Juggs is right except when he says "The Glitch Jabs work the same as Kara Jabs".. True they are very very similar BUT GJs do not work the same as Kara Jabs and some of you are getting confused... Kara jab is not preformed by holding down block(lp+Block) as you jab but instead you alternate between lp and block(lp>block), never do you hold or press block while lp is pressed, also another difference is how a kara jab cancels the lp animation... Glitch jabbing like marv and others do it isnt being canceled with block so its not a kara jab and block IS being held WHILE jabbing (lp+Block+Down+lp) release and repeat..That is a Glitch jab... Standing in place and jabbing the air over and over and over and over while holding block is called herp derp jabs :)

True, either way the complaining is about being able to block while attacking with almost zero risk, which is a fair complaint but there's proven ways to beat and dominate it which shouldn't be an issue once you get to that level.

True, either way the complaining is about being able to block while attacking with almost zero risk, which is a fair complaint but there's proven ways to beat and dominate it which shouldn't be an issue once you get to that level.
How do you dominate it then?

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
It should be noted that I do still like the game I think it is fun and entertaining but just realy dumb.
MKK banning relaunchers and jabjab's sounds smart.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
No Arez said that KJs are ok

My question is why are KJs ok and GJ not Arez? You still block while attacking with KJ.
Nah, I didn't reallt specify, but I think both are essentially a form of cheating.
I don't care what anyone says; but getting speared and pushed into the corner to be jabbed to death and fucking dumb. The whole game is dumb at this point. I know some fanboy is gonna reply with some book-long answer on why it isn't. I've read it all before and nothing is going to change my mind about this game.
Agreed. But that's not cool....you have to share the same opinion of everyone else and are not entitled to your own lol :p
and no. Ermac for example runs up to a GJ Kabal standing in place should be able to slam him out it but instead will be blocked and countered free.
Which is why it doesnt balance the game more...if anything it just takes the best characters and makes them even BETTER. Except the few that can't do KJ/GJ w/out getting an unwanted special
I don't think the bandwidth makes much difference, it is more about the latency. The bigger the bandwidth the more information that can be sent in one packet, but a lower latency means that packet is sent quicker. You could have 100mb connection, but if UMK3 is only sending a maxium of 0.5 mb of information(packet) then you will have 99.5 mb of wasted bandwidth. The quicker it can send the inputs and sync information then the less lag you will experience. I doubt it sends more than 0.5 mb of information anyway, so look at the ping/latency of the connection to your opponent instead. The stability of that connection will be a big factor in seeing a smooth game, because when a packet is lost or distorted, that is when you will notice dropped inputs or jitter/stall in the game.
No. Just a big plain ol' no.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
lol c'mon guys we all know that 5vs5 is not happening...

And Arez, do you really think the game will see more new great players at this point? I'm talking about the year whe are in, not because of GJs. Do you really think that if it wasn't for GJs there will be more offline action? lol man this game's dead, the only tournaments that take place are the ones that loyal umk3 lovers run. Remember what I said about umk3 being in the spotlight and suddenly going into the dark because of mk9 hype bs?

And I agree with you 100% about the online thing, this game was not meant to be played like that, fuck online (although I know that's the only way most players can play it)

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Yes. Just a big plain ol' yes.
No man, I never have hardly any lag or delay when I play people w/ high-speed internet, only those w/ DSL or a slower cable internet. Even certain people who may have 15 MB on D/L, but with .5 or even 1 MB on Upload still has worse delay than the others. Just trust me on this, I have alot of experience , played alot of online w/ alot of different people with alot of different connections and I know the game very well. What happens online and what is SUPPOSED to happen normally are 2 different things. You can't have offline online but you can make it as close as possible with high-speed internet. What you have said may be relevant to other games, but not fighting games, they simply require more bandwidth.

This is the reason why people like Marv, SoulRusher, KanoMK2, NoDoubt, Juggernaut, and a shit-load of other players lag horribly...because they have very low-speed internet and it is not enough power to run a demanding game like UMK3 at proper 53.5 FPS. That type of stuff almost never happens when I play people w/ high-speed ethernet. Such is rthe case when I play nwo ...he has like 93 ping, but his internet is super-fast so instead of it feeling like im playing someone from California, it feels like he's maybe 2-3 states away.

Quality of internet play a MASSIVE role in UMK3 and fighting games in general

No man, I never have hardly any lag or delay when I play people w/ high-speed internet, only those w/ DSL or a slower cable internet. Even certain people who may have 15 MB on D/L, but with .5 or even 1 MB on Upload still has worse delay than the others. Just trust me on this, I have alot of experience , played alot of online w/ alot of different people with alot of different connections and I know the game very well. What happens online and what is SUPPOSED to happen normally are 2 different things. You can't have offline online but you can make it as close as possible with high-speed internet. What you have said may be relevant to other games, but not fighting games, they simply require more bandwidth.

This is the reason why people like Marv, SoulRusher, KanoMK2, NoDoubt, Juggernaut, and a shit-load of other players lag horribly...because they have very low-speed internet and it is not enough power to run a demanding game like UMK3 at proper 53.5 FPS. That type of stuff almost never happens when I play people w/ high-speed ethernet. Such is rthe case when I play nwo ...he has like 93 ping, but his internet is super-fast so instead of it feeling like im playing someone from California, it feels like he's maybe 2-3 states away.

Quality of internet play a MASSIVE role in UMK3 and fighting games in general
The size of the packet does not make much difference, it is the speed at which it travels, bandwidth=size and latency/ping = speed. Why do you think every single online game displays the LATENCY/PING and never the bandwidth?

Maybe game developers have had it wrong all these years? I think you should write to them and tell them of their mistake. ;)

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
The size of the packet does not make much difference, it is the speed at which it travels, bandwidth=size and latency/ping = speed. Why do you think every single online game displays the LATENCY/PING and never the bandwidth?

Maybe game developers have had it wrong all these years? I think you should write to them and tell them of their mistake. ;)
Uhm...ok, then why do people w/ slow shitty connections lag so much even though their ping is fine, but people faster high-speed internet don't lag and can still have high ping?

And Arez, do you really think the game will see more new great players at this point? I'm talking about the year whe are in, not because of GJs. Do you really think that if it wasn't for GJs there will be more offline action?
there is a bunch of good competition on XBL 06 & MKAK that are unheard in the tournament scene or on the boards. Most of the ones I've ran into and talked with have never been to a major tournament but have roots back to sf alpha and even 96' trilogy. Chicago and the Kombat Network crews are the only ones I know of to travel consistently for the crack but those days are gone. I'm relentlessly searching for the new talent,GJ,KJ (to stay a little on topic ha) who are playing modern fighters in the major circuit that will travel and then hit em with their old school gem....UMK3!

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster

And Arez, do you really think the game will see more new great players at this point? I'm talking about the year whe are in, not because of GJs. Do you really think that if it wasn't for GJs there will be more offline action?
Here in the U.S.....yes, I don't "think" it....I am 99.9% sure of it

lol man this game's dead, the only tournaments that take place are the ones that loyal umk3 lovers run. Remember what I said about umk3 being in the spotlight and suddenly going into the dark because of mk9 hype bs?
NECX UMK3 had 28 entrants, WB5 UMK3 had 30 entrants, NECXI had 14 entrants, WB6 UMK3 had 26 entrants. MK9 wasn't released until after WB5, howver as u can see we lost SOME players, but UMK3 is far from dead. There are numerous players online and I have a group of around a dozen offline players locally or semi-locally.

And I agree with you 100% about the online thing, this game was not meant to be played like that, fuck online (although I know that's the only way most players can play it)
Online is fine if you hav a connection capable of running it at the speed it plays offline. If not, you're not even playing UMK3....it's just a look-alike.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
there is a bunch of good competition on XBL 06 & MKAK that are unheard in the tournament scene or on the boards. Most of the ones I've ran into and talked with have never been to a major tournament but have roots back to sf alpha and even 96' trilogy. Chicago and the Kombat Network crews are the only ones I know of to travel consistently for the crack but those days are gone. I'm relentlessly searching for the new talent,GJ,KJ (to stay a little on topic ha) who are playing modern fighters in the major circuit that will travel and then hit em with their old school gem....UMK3!
Guys, what UMK3 tournament scene?
Like you said, those days are gone.

Arez, How many tournaments have been in the last year? you're really telling me that the game's activity is the same as before mk9 came out? most of the people that enter to umk3 tournaments do it to support the game, not because they're still playing it like 2 years ago. That's what I meant

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster

Arez, How many tournaments have been in the last year? you're really telling me that the game's activity is the same as before mk9 came out? most of the people that enter to umk3 tournaments do it to support the game, not because they're still playing it like 2 years ago. That's what I meant
Obviously there's still enough of us to keep it alive.

What I meant was it was being played as a side tourny at the majors for years but just wasn't getting enough interest to spread. If I would've devoted half of the time I put into promoting MVC2s craziest matches and tournaments into UMK3 when I was travelling to the majors in 02-10, trust me UMK3 would've gotten more shine. Shock did a great job keeping it alive in the east but all the other regions needed to be stitched in as well.

whats interesting is that Money Matches were set up all the way back to 02 when Lex was gonna play Julian Robinson for $500 until he was juggled by striker and Kung Lao ha. The Lexibition in 04 saw less the 10 ppl and I even ran mm in trilogy at final round 8 in 05 vs Jackie Tran and Clint the Beast. Even JOP was a beast back then. I mainly traveled for MVC2 so thats where all my time went. At one point I had Jeron,Sanford,Flash,Noel,Perfect Legend, and Justin experimenting with the game.....man if only they would've stayed with it and learned KJ/GJ of course.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
haa I've known about your dedication from back then too Grinder. You, Hanzo and DED would've been made it to the states had I been devoted in that time.
I don't even come close to your level of dedication, but I been trying to help keep the game alive here in Philly area and support locals. I started back in 1994 when MK3 came out, but I was never anywhere near as good as we all are now nor as into the competitive scene. The UMK3-OGs deserve all the credit for not only creating the tournament scene, but for breaking down the game and giving us the resources and notes to research and learn from, which would have been quite a fucking task if we had to do everything ourselves, judging by some of the crazy combos out there.

GJ/KJ??? PSSSHHhhhhhhhh, sure, I'll start using them after I can successfully do every single bad-ass combo the game has in it on a consistent basis in a competitive match. Until then, I got more important things to work on :) 84% corner juggle with Kabal, anyone? :p

.....or do you prefer 92%?

GJ/KJ??? PSSSHHhhhhhhhh, sure, I'll start using them after I can successfully do every single bad-ass combo the game has in it on a consistent basis in a competitive match. Until then, I got more important things to work on :) 84% corner juggle with Kabal, anyone? :p .....or do you prefer 92%?
Come on Arez, that was in there for a pinch of staying on topic ha