What's new

UMK3's Kara and Glitch Jab's

nwo

Noob
I did, but it is the kara jabs that I really want to get now. I need to practice pressing run+direction, let go, lp+block and then do it all again and mix it up with other things.

So can a punch be glitched from the very first press? I guess so, but it seems like I need to be punching a few times before I can hold block without the character going into the blocking animation. What does everyone do? Do you press punch, block, punch, block etc. very quickly or do you press punch, hold block, punch punch punch punch, etc. ? I am talking about glitch jabs, not single kara jabs.
I'd have to double check, but I'm almost positive I cancel right after the first punch now, most the time.

For glitch jabbing, block is held down, for Kara jabs it's not (to my understanding), I'm just starting to practice kara jabbing right now. With kara jabbing, I think you "piano" the buttons, if your using an arcade stick.

I'd have to double check, but I'm almost positive I cancel right after the first punch now, most the time.

For glitch jabbing, block is held down, for Kara jabs it's not (to my understanding), I'm just starting to practice kara jabbing right now. With kara jabbing, I think you "piano" the buttons, if your using an arcade stick.
I tested these kara jabs out not to long ago. What I did was have a buddy pick kabal as I just started kara jabbing from nearly full screen. I was pressing jab,block,jab,block in rapid succession. I was doing it quick enough to where the block animation never came out. He would do a random spin during my jabs. What I didn't understand was that he would spin me everytime. Either I'm doing something wrong or kara jabs aren't as useful as I thought.

I tested these kara jabs out not to long ago. What I did was have a buddy pick kabal as I just started kara jabbing from nearly full screen. I was pressing jab,block,jab,block in rapid succession. I was doing it quick enough to where the block animation never came out. He would do a random spin during my jabs. What I didn't understand was that he would spin me everytime. Either I'm doing something wrong or kara jabs aren't as useful as I thought.
We need someone to record a video showing the game and the controller ;)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I can't kara or GJ on a stick. And I prefer PS2 pad, but with the 360 controller I use the analog.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
What you were doing is not a true "Glitch-jab", but a "Standing Jab" you were simply cancelling HP with Block, as is done w/ LP for normal run-jabs. This is not true GJ, but still a very useful tool for AA'ing for certain punisher combos such as Ermac or Kitana. Holding Down+Back+Block is what kara's a jab and allows them to a.) block throws b.) block low while standing, c.) automatically stay punching until a opponent's hit initiates Block and d.) cancel into any combo that is started with HP/LP (..and others).

GJ = press HP (continue HP'ing), hold Down+Back+Block, (HP'ing continued)....
KJ = (Run) press LP (hold Down+Back+Block), LP,....(repeat whole sequence)
RJ = (Run) press LP,LP, (BLxX), LP,LP, (BLxX),....
SJ = press HP, HP, (BLxX), HP,HP,(BLxX)

Reactions: nwo
So i decided to figure out how to do glitch jabs, and let me say, easy as hell. Took me about 2 minutes. I still think they are lame, but at least now in matches against glitch jabbers i can use them myself. If you're going to stand there and glitch jab for 15 seconds straight, I can be annoying too.

I actually have SOME respect for people who learn to incorporate them into their game and not just randomly stand still and spam them for extended periods of time.

I find that using kara jabs is something that takes more skill. I know how to do kara jabs, but it's not exactly easy to perfectly kara jab everytime. I find myself not doing "true" kara jabs as most of the time I just cancel each of my lp's with just block.

This still gives me an edge over people who use regular run jabs though, as I'll automatically block wake ups and uppercuts most of the time. The main reason i can see that pressing down back each time is better is because it defends throws and should block duckling lk's. I can actually block sweeps on reaction most of the time when I'm on rush down.

I often fight people who have slightly better combo games than i do and are pretty decent all around, but don't cancel any jabs with block. The ability to do this wins games for you.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
GJ = press HP (continue HP'ing), hold Down+Back+Block, (HP'ing continued)....
KJ = (Run) press LP (hold Down+Back+Block), LP,....(repeat whole sequence)
RJ = (Run) press LP,LP, (BLxX), LP,LP, (BLxX),....
SJ = press HP, HP, (BLxX), HP,HP,(BLxX)
Actually, a GJ is simply blocking while doing multiple jabs. A KJ is one jab canceled. A RJ is just a run jab, lol.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Actually, a GJ is simply blocking while doing multiple jabs. A KJ is one jab canceled. A RJ is just a run jab, lol.
You're actually wrong but I don't care enough about this game anymore to actually debate it. GJ can't be thrown which is why u need to hold D/B+Block while trapped in s. HP animation for it to work. If this isn't the input you are doing then you're just cancelling HP w/ block which is not a true "glitch-jab". Same w/ Kara-jab but w/ LP while on offense. You know better, not sure why you would post something like that. If you were just cancelling HPs w/ block it wouldn't be as hard to deal with cuz you could throw them out of it.. D/B, U/B or B+Block is mandatory for GJ/KJ....that's what makes it what it is.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
what is SJ? lol : 0
s.HP....lol, just your basic standing high punch or "standing jab" (aaHP if they are in the air of course) cancelled w/ block or run or w/e you wanna cancel it with.

:) What's up Arion? How u been man? Long time no see. NECXIII for you, Sir?

Juggs is right about the kara and run jabs. Run jabs are just that, run jabs. People who use regular run jabs don't cancel their jabs with block, they just cancel them with run..ie run jabs lol. Never heard of standing jabs they sound kind of useless though haha.

Ok, Fine...then what the hell do i Google and what's a Google ?? :p

Yea aaSpin, aaHP, HP, JK/AFBx3 is 100% and it's just raw, no damage protection from aaSpin...you can get 92% on Jax/Sheeva from a grounded Spin, then SUJK, HK, LK, HP,HP,D+HP, JK/AFBx4. I 've gotten JK/AFBx3 on Kung Lao and Sonya and some characters you'd NEVER expect it possible, but as far as I can tell from pro-tips and my own practicing you can only get 4 on Jax/Sheeva, but I'm gonna keep trying it on the male ninjas anyway.

I agree that JK/AFBx2 isn't hard but 3 or 4 is taking it to the next level and I've only seen like 1 or 2 other people do it besides myself. After the 2nd one the timing becomes much stricter and it keeps getting harder and harder to keep it going, but combos are the main reason I play this game so I will never stop trying to learn new ones.

EDIT: I said 92%, but I think it's actually 82%....might be 92% w/ HK-finisher, i forget where I saw 92% but he has a 92% corner also LOL I'm 92% sure of it
Funny I was just thinking about the whole spin near corner aahphp jk/afb x2 earlier today. I've tried a few times to land it in matches but I had never really sat down and tried practicing doing it. Well as of an hour ago I can do it almost every time lol. I was surprised at the damage it does. It's a bit harder to do than doing x2 jk/afb in the corner off a pop up combo, but isnt too overly difficult that it wouldn't be viable to use in matches. It's gotta be damn hard to do x3 or dare I say X4 though. I recorded a video of me doing it just 20 minutes ago.

BTW I knew you in the past when I first started playin arez. A lotta BS happened on Kaillera and I'm sorry if I was bein a dick. Actually you once tried to teach me the kabal X2 jk/afb long ago, but it was when I was still learning the game and wasn't ready for it at all. What you were saying totally made sense once I figured it out myself though, lol

Noob
taken from thread: Official UMK3:TE Changelog and Discussion Thread
http://testyourmight.com/threads/official-umk3-te-changelog-and-discussion-thread.45804/

After GJ will be gone from the game, the characters who can keep opponent on distance will go higher in tierlist. Like reptile, subzero, - now you can't make good preasure on them. I loved GJs=) Will miss them so much =)) They allows make preassure. Now i'm affraid what umk3 will be more defensive, i hope i'm not right =)
P.S. What changes will be applied to reptile? What about more recovery on forceballs? =)
The removal of GJ's will invariably make the game and it's mindgames better. I know that since you've been playing UMK3 and training with the GJ's all these years that it's difficult to understand how it will but let me explain.

The current level (the highest level) of play involves using GJ's to apply pressure that must be countered by GJ's. It becomes a volley back and forth of "GJ Pressure, Counter GJ and Start GJing, get countered with GJ's and look for a counter GJ opportunity". At the highest level, this is what UMK3 is like. It IS NOT, however, what high level MKT is like. I don't play MKT at high level, but GJ's aren't nearly as viable as they are in UMK3 due to the way the crouching attacks work and allow you to counter.

Run jabs, and even single karajabs are a risk/reward situation. They can be countered by more than just GJ's and force you to take a chance when doing them. This inherently adds mindgames to the overall strategy instead of being intently focused on 2 things: 1. Trapping your opponent with GJ's and 2. Looking for a counter GJ opportunity when trapped. With run jabs, you're forced to take a chance and you're forced to learn how to read your opponent(or get opened up and punished for a wrong read) instead of relying a safe move that can not be countered with anything other than the same move. RJ's and their risk/reward factor force you to learn how to play the person and the match up, not how to best exploit a move that dominates the game.

The best example I can give is from baseball. Imagine if every pitcher in baseball threw ONLY a fastball, and that fastball came in a 127mph. You KNOW what's coming, but good luck stopping it. Your only method of countering it is to have a pitcher who can also ONLY throw a 127mph fastball that nobody can hit.

Run Jabs are like adding the curveball, slider, changeup, knuckleball, sinker, and screwball into baseball. Each pitch does something different, and now the pitcher can choose his OPTION to throw to the batter and the batter, based on the situation, must try to guess what pitch is going to be thrown, and the mindgame ensues. Make the right read and you'll have a better chance of hitting the ball, make the wrong read and risk hitting into an inning ending double play.

RJ's inherently bring the options back to the game for every player and the removal of GJ's forces players to understand the game and it's matchups, not just one tactic and one counter.

I know that people disagree with me, and that is what it is, but if their removal reinvigorates the game and gets more people playing, then it's for the better. More UMK3 players = better than a dead game.

taken from thread: Official UMK3:TE Changelog and Discussion Thread
http://testyourmight.com/threads/official-umk3-te-changelog-and-discussion-thread.45804/

The removal of GJ's will invariably make the game and it's mindgames better. I know that since you've been playing UMK3 and training with the GJ's all these years that it's difficult to understand how it will but let me explain.

The current level (the highest level) of play involves using GJ's to apply pressure that must be countered by GJ's. It becomes a volley back and forth of "GJ Pressure, Counter GJ and Start GJing, get countered with GJ's and look for a counter GJ opportunity". At the highest level, this is what UMK3 is like. It IS NOT, however, what high level MKT is like. I don't play MKT at high level, but GJ's aren't nearly as viable as they are in UMK3 due to the way the crouching attacks work and allow you to counter.

Run jabs, and even single karajabs are a risk/reward situation. They can be countered by more than just GJ's and force you to take a chance when doing them. This inherently adds mindgames to the overall strategy instead of being intently focused on 2 things: 1. Trapping your opponent with GJ's and 2. Looking for a counter GJ opportunity when trapped. With run jabs, you're forced to take a chance and you're forced to learn how to read your opponent(or get opened up and punished for a wrong read) instead of relying a safe move that can not be countered with anything other than the same move. RJ's and their risk/reward factor force you to learn how to play the person and the match up, not how to best exploit a move that dominates the game.

The best example I can give is from baseball. Imagine if every pitcher in baseball threw ONLY a fastball, and that fastball came in a 127mph. You KNOW what's coming, but good luck stopping it. Your only method of countering it is to have a pitcher who can also ONLY throw a 127mph fastball that nobody can hit.

Run Jabs are like adding the curveball, slider, changeup, knuckleball, sinker, and screwball into baseball. Each pitch does something different, and now the pitcher can choose his OPTION to throw to the batter and the batter, based on the situation, must try to guess what pitch is going to be thrown, and the mindgame ensues. Make the right read and you'll have a better chance of hitting the ball, make the wrong read and risk hitting into an inning ending double play.

RJ's inherently bring the options back to the game for every player and the removal of GJ's forces players to understand the game and it's matchups, not just one tactic and one counter.

I know that people disagree with me, and that is what it is, but if their removal reinvigorates the game and gets more people playing, then it's for the better. More UMK3 players = better than a dead game.
In Russia we have pretty good school of GJ playing. And what i can tell you - is when both players knows GJs deep and good, game steps to the next level - once again you need good mind game to win your opponent. You need to know matchups. You can switch tactic from offensive to defensive. All what works in UMK3 without GJs works in UMK3 with GJs. And when you can do GJs but your opponent can't do it, you don't need to switch tactic and search for decisions - just make a preassure and take a win. Those players who can do GJs they feels ok with them. And love to watch those matches where high level players uses GJs. But this is only my subjective opinion =)
And of course i understand you guys too who didn't want GJs in the game. If removing them from the game, will help umk3 get more people - will be nice, and very nice! But i have opinion what only those who played vanilla umk3 will play umk3TE, and nobody new =). I hope i'm wrong =)

Noob
In Russia we have pretty good school of GJ playing. And what i can tell you - is when both players knows GJs deep and good, game steps to the next level - once again you need good mind game to win your opponent. You need to know matchups. You can switch tactic from offensive to defensive. All what works in UMK3 without GJs works in UMK3 with GJs. And when you can do GJs but your opponent can't do it, you don't need to switch tactic and search for decisions - just make a preassure and take a win. Those players who can do GJs they feels ok with them. And love to watch those matches where high level players uses GJs. But this is only my subjective opinion =)
And of course i understand you guys too who didn't want GJs in the game. If removing them from the game, will help umk3 get more people - will be nice, and very nice! But i have opinion what only those who played vanilla umk3 will play umk3TE, and nobody new =). I hope i'm wrong =)
I watched the video you posted of Mafioso playing. To me, it looked like a lot of punching the air rather than making reads. It shows the players relying on a safe tactic instead of reading opponents, and having to take calculated risks to capitalize on those reads.

I'm not proficient at GJ's because I saw their inherent flaw immediately and recognized that the gameplay that will come from them would forever dominate vanilla UMK3...and it does.

I know that everything "works"... the combos work, the block strings work, etc. What doesn't work in UMK3 with GJ's is making reads. Why bother to focus on reading your opponent when you can rely on a constantly defending attack that is ONLY counterable with the exact same tactic?

And make no mistake... I am NOT calling anyone less skilled. I've played you... I know how good you are. What I'm saying is that I think you'll be even better if the GJ crutch that you rely on is taken away.