What's new

"This Princess Fights Her Own Battles." - Starfire General Discussion

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Supergirl wasn't 'already good'.. This is a false narrative pushed by people who didn't play her. It was debunked repeatedly by most of the game's top players.

Now that she's gotten some help, we might actually see her in a Top 8 now and then (which would be awesome).
Your opinion, you're entitled as am I. I disagree, she is an annoying character to deal with and can do everything very well rounded unlike say Starfire who's a great zoner but is weak up close with little to no mix ups. I used to use SG,and dropped her because she's not a challenge and I was getting tired of hatemail...she was definitely not already bad or fun to use and has lots of shenanigans.

Her teleport gives her a big edge in lots of match ups in this game, she can zone, has great mix ups, combos and rushdown. Even 16 said this on one of the streams(his view is as respectable as any "top player") that lot of people were asking how to counter SG. I'm not saying she is the top in the game but she definitely didn't suck their views are all relative. They argue with each other often about tiers on here daily so this means little to me. I believe you don't have to be a pro to understand a games mechanics or tiers etc or archtypes etc. Point is they buffed characters that didn't need it and didn't who did(GL, FS, BB etc) and I know this because I am a GL main from day one and used to use BB but he just can't compete with his bad damage output among few other issues, ask anyone who uses BB as well as GL they'll tell you they need buffs.

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Im no pro but im having a hard time seeing her as this zoning god people are making her out to be.

Her normal projectile is fairly slow when compared to most others in the game.
The meter burn is whiffs most the hits so its only useable in specific sets ups and corner.
Cluster has to be guess placed leaving her fairly open, while the meter burn is a strong option for a meter.
Her trait is good, but doesn't do much damage and has a pretty damn substantial cool down. So its undeniably good but not your not gonna just be pressuring with it all the time.

To me it feel like as far as zoning goes she'll just be "Strong". I feel like anyone with a speedy projectile can out zone her. Especially if they dont respect her trait, cuz she really cant do it THAT often for it to be a constant threat to a hard zoner.

Her fireball is one frame slower than Deadshot's wrist cannon.

Stop.

Rude

Yeah the air dash is bad but mostly because of the jump attacks. J1 is the only one that's fast enough to be of any real use but its hitbox is shite. And J3 is the only one that crosses up well but it's too slow to even come out unless you air dash super high up in which case you're just asking to get anti-aired.

I'm going to have to ask you to stop the downplay.

Step out of the car, you're drunk.

Rude

Yeah day 2 and she's feeling very mediocre. Her zoning isn't good enough to get by on that alone and her up-close game is poor.

Zoning is alright with trait but the meter runs out so quickly even if you're just tapping it and takes ages to recharge. And stardust is pretty much only useable with trait so most of the time your only zoning tool will be a basic fireball. This would be fine if she had good buttons/mixups up close but she doesn't. And Mace Charge is pretty much a random part of her tool kit that doesn't really synergise with anything and is just there

It's funny seeing the difference between day 1 and day 2 impressions though rofl. Hopefully something clicks

Oh my god, stop. Her zoning is very good provided you utilize her incredible range and are patient.

The fact that someone ducking and walking can get blown up by you mixing in trait right after a fireball. Add to that delaying when you shoot to throw off the timing of their approach, shimmying, etc and you have a fine zoner.

Then, once they get through that you have to deal with f3, d3, b3, f2, etc.

Stop. Wtf.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
IMO

Strengths:
- Stupid high damage
- Some of the longest reaching normals in the game
- No hurtboxes on longest reaching normals
- Great Mobility
- Strong Zoning
- Some of the best Wake-Ups in the game.
Weaknesses:
- Limited hit confirms, has to take risks when up close
- Slow Normals

Probably in the top 10 for sure, I don't think she's as powerful as the game's current top 5 (Adam, Supes, Catwoman, Darkseid, Deadshot). But she can still fight them and you can probably get away playing only Starfire without a secondary.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Oh my god, stop. Her zoning is very good provided you utilize her incredible range and are patient.

The fact that someone ducking and walking can get blown up by you mixing in trait right after a fireball. Add to that delaying when you shoot to throw off the timing of their approach, shimmying, etc and you have a fine zoner.

Then, once they get through that you have to deal with f3, d3, b3, f2, etc.

Stop. Wtf.

Also replying to @HeroesNZ

It's day 1. Day 2 for some, but still very early to declare mediocrity or absurdity.

I do think her zoning is really good but you're coming at him as if it's the best in the game and it's way too early to say that for her.

Let's wait a few weeks and see how people learn how to deal with it, as we did with deadshot.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
IMO

Strengths:
- Stupid high damage
- Great Mobility
- Strong Zoning
Weaknesses:
- Slow Normals

Probably in the top 10 for sure, I don't think she's as powerful as the game's current top 5 (Adam, Supes, Catwoman, Darkseid, Deadshot). But she can still fight them and you can probably get away playing only Starfire without a secondary.
as the best starfire all i can say is

lul

Rude

Also replying to @HeroesNZ

It's day 1. Day 2 for some, but still very early to declare mediocrity or absurdity.

I do think her zoning is really good but you're coming at him as if it's the best in the game and it's way too early to say that for her.

Let's wait a few weeks and see how people learn how to deal with it, as we did with deadshot.

I said it was the best in the game?

Where at, fam?

IMO

Strengths:
- Stupid high damage
- Great Mobility
- Strong Zoning
Weaknesses:
- Slow Normals

You forgot some of the best zoning chip damage in the game

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I said it was the best in the game?

Where at, fam?
I said you're coming at him as if it is. Never said you said it. I'm not one to put words in people's mouths man.

Either way I'm leaning on your side when it comes to the zoning. I'm just saying it's too early to declare it being THAT good.

Rude

I said you're coming at him as if it is. Never said you said it. I'm not one to put words in people's mouths man.

Either way I'm leaning on your side when it comes to the zoning. I'm just saying it's too early to declare it being THAT good.

I'll put it to you like this: It's a far cry from mediocre and while it's early, I think she has the potential to be a top 10 character.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Your opinion, you're entitled as am I. I disagree, she is an annoying character to deal with and can do everything very well rounded unlike say Starfire who's a great zoner but is weak up close with little to no mix ups. I used to use SG,and dropped her because she's not a challenge and I was getting tired of hatemail...she was definitely not already bad or fun to use and has lots of shenanigans.

Her teleport gives her a big edge in lots of match ups in this game, she can zone, has great mix ups, combos and rushdown. Even 16 said this on one of the streams(his view is as respectable as any "top player") that lot of people were asking how to counter SG. I'm not saying she is the top in the game but she definitely didn't suck their views are all relative. They argue with each other often about tiers on here daily so this means little to me. I believe you don't have to be a pro to understand a games mechanics or tiers etc or archtypes etc. Point is they buffed characters that didn't need it and didn't who did(GL, FS, BB etc) and I know this because I am a GL main from day one and used to use BB but he just can't compete with his bad damage output among few other issues, ask anyone who uses BB as well as GL they'll tell you they need buffs.
He did that because she got buffed though & people are paranoid about her changes lol. So they were curious about how to fight against her. Not because she was already strong. And in the patch stream, he along with the rest of the casters all agreed that she needed more safety & she took a lot of risks for the reward that she got. You can even look it up.

Most people who argue this view point of she didn't need any buffs are people who either hate her in general (for casual purposes not competitive) or they just didn't really understand how to deal with her like they all want to think they do, but just typed stuff. Then of course, people like to complain in general instead of learning how to deal. Now the one's who absolutely dislike her "period" are salty, letting their personal agendas for why they don't like her get in the way of actual good balance. Like most people here do anyway. Same way with Aquaman too tbh, & the people who glorify him being nerfed can say what they want to. Sonic Fox, Scar, many others were even vocal of her gaps and no real safety. Not saying you did, just people in general. I'm just replying because you said she didn't need anything, but that just simply isn't true. She was a character that had to rely on gimmicks & hope that players didn't know how to exploit her gaps in between her strings & special cancels that made her safe.

I can't speak for all Supergirl players but me & a select few said to make only 1 string safe which was b123. That one change would've made her better character regardless of damage increase. I thought she was decent in the sense of how her neutral is played. I didn't expect a damage increase, standing 2 mid, or any other changes except for b123 being safe (before you assume like everyone else likes to do to Supergirl mains).

But back to Starfire, she looks really fun & she seems like a moving wall.

Last edited:

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
And I agree. Just waiting for her to flesh out over the weeks but yea she's probably a strong contender for the top 10
Even though it's still early to tell, I would say she's a contender for Top 5. She may be 6 or 7, but that high damage and mobility is doing good shit for her.

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
He did that because she got buffed though lol. Not because she was already strong. And in the patch stream, he along with the rest of the casters all agreed that she needed more safety & she took a lot of risks for the reward that she got. You can even look it up. Most people who argue this view point of she didn't need any buffs are people who either hate her in general (for casual purposes not competitive) or they just didn't really understand how to deal with her like they like to think they do, but just typed stuff. Not saying you, just people in general.

I can't speak for all Supergirl players but me & a select few said to make only 1 string safe. I thought she was decent. I didn't expect a damage increase, standing 2 mid, or any other changes except for b123 being safe (before you assume like everyone else likes to do to Supergirl mains).

But back to Starfire, she looks really fun & she seems like a moving wall.
As a Supergirl main, and when I have requested her to get a damage buff and some safe shit on whichever string, I can confirm that yeah...I think people are mad about her buffs because they just hate her.

Us Supergirl's would literally have to struggle to get 260 for a 23 hit combo....ridiculous.

JDE

Not anymore she doesn't. She gets past 300+ now, but I don't wanna get off subject talking about Supergirl lol. I'm in her community threads if people are wanting to discuss there as long as the discussions don't become toxic like they have been with people in recent times.

I'm here because I'm wanting to see what Starfire is about & she looks fun. She's very flashy too even with her some of her key combos that are being fleshed out.

BruskyPoet

Johnny bought a car
I don't wanna get off subject about Supergirl lol. I'm here because I'm wanting to see what Starfire is about & she looks fun.

She's very flashy too even with her some of her key combos that are being fleshed out.
Yeah, I get it. Imo, she's a legitimate contender for a Top 5. The chip, the normal damage, the zoning, she may be 6, or 7. Again, it's too early to tell though.

JDE

Yeah, I get it. Imo, she's a legitimate contender for a Top 5. The chip, the normal damage, the zoning, she may be 6, or 7. Again, it's too early to tell though.
She's sort of like Dhalsim is in SF, just no teleport & better movement.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I think for starfire option-selects might become partcularly important: f2, db mb, 2 is my example.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What? What risks is she taking? EVERY string is safe and she has MULTIPLE strings (23, 21, 213, 113) that are easily hit confirmable. Wouldn't call that a weakness at all
Yeah, 23/232 is hit confirmable, and 232 is -1.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Her weakness to me is her up close game and her lack of good ways to deal with close range air attacks. However, that had better be her weakness because her zoning to me seems pretty oppressive and she is able to pretty much cover every inch of the screen with it. Her F3 animation is almost unfair to have to react to. Also J1 and J2 aren't incredible, but J3 makes up for it.