What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

his jump d3 in the corner is amazing, do it on there wake up and it stuffs attacks and has the computer think youre crossing up so wake up supers/xrays whatever theyre called whiff and go the wrong way...at least i've had this happen a few times against hawkgirl.

I'm a Lobo casual with a question:

Why not end combos with Air D3? Why would his specials be superior? Wouldn't the Air D3 give him enough advantage to set up his mix-ups?
Although its strict on timing, you can actually roll if you hit someone with Air Down 3 in a juggle. They can't roll if you hit them while grounded, so TK Down 3 pressure can abuse that, just not in your combos.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
I'm a Lobo casual with a question:

Why not end combos with Air D3? Why would his specials be superior? Wouldn't the Air D3 give him enough advantage to set up his mix-ups?
What other people said. bf3 already gives him a hard knockdown into free mixup.

SPECTRELIGHT

F, D, F + HP
Everytime I fight Black Adam, and I try to punish him with dbf2 during Lightning Cage, it whiffs. How many invincibility frames does that move have on start up? There are other times when fighting him or a flying character that I use db3 while they are throwing a projectile or another punishable move and db3 whiffs. Yet when in training mode, with BA just standing the db3 always hits.

Everytime I fight Black Adam, and I try to punish him with dbf2 during Lightning Cage, it whiffs. How many invincibility frames does that move have on start up? There are other times when fighting him or a flying character that I use db3 while they are throwing a projectile or another punishable move and db3 whiffs. Yet when in training mode, with BA just standing the db3 always hits.
The answer to your question is, Black Adam is a bastard...or lag

BGMD

Noob
One match doesn't prove anything, let alone tier placement... I don't believe Lobo is ultimately worst character, but top tier for sure he is not.
To be honest, Batman player neglected to block low a couple of times, that u1 is visible from an airplane on 10000 fts (unfamiliar with Lobos strings?). But thats on him, it was still very nice showing.

One match doesn't prove anything, let alone tier placement... I don't believe Lobo is ultimately worst character, but top tier for sure he is not.
To be honest, Batman player neglected to block low a couple of times, that u1 is visible from an airplane on 10000 fts (unfamiliar with Lobos strings?). But thats on him, it was still very nice showing.
No offence to the guy but th batman player wasnt very good and he still almost beat the lobo. Still was hype to see him land the b1 xx czar. Although no low chain at all? Low chain would have made his life easier

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
No offence to the guy but th batman player wasnt very good and he still almost beat the lobo. Still was hype to see him land the b1 xx czar. Although no low chain at all? Low chain would have made his life easier
First of all, thanks for the compliments guys.

Second, yeah I've been working on Lobo for a little bit and kind of just yolo'd the decision to play him in tourney. But since I had so much fun playing him I'm going to switch to Lobo as my main now. So... low chains will be more abundant lol.

Wow, this thread sure hasn't made any progress since I last opened it lmao...

Well anyway, I looked over my anti-air stand 3 tech and found new options. Everything I've found is between the (NEW) thingys.

more Lobo tech, this time off Anti-Air Stand 3.

3 into Pump Shot is perhaps Lobo's best meterless setup. If don't they roll, you can dash in and pressure with your frame traps like 12 xx czar toss/back 12/21 into whatever. (NEW) You can also TK divekick/meaty Back 2 Up 1 for instant overhead/lulz-worthy slow overhead that leads to 50%.(/NEW) If they do roll, you can dash in and mix up between 21 (2 whiffs, 1 doesn't)/Low Pump Shot/ Czar Toss (only effective if they respect you and don't press buttons). (NEW) After the pump shot hits, do Hook Charge asap. Hook Charge will be safe, as it's hitting from max-distance. If you think the opponent will reversal, MB the charge.(/NEW)

3 into Hook Charge is unique. If you whiff the first hit of Hook Charge and only hit the tackle, they are knocked down longer than they would be if you did hit the first hit. This allows Lobo to safe jump reversals like DS's godly Sword Spin (not the flip because thats a shitty reversal that gets beat by everything). You can't try using a jump in on these reversals, however, as the game has recovery frames on whiffed jump ins. So Lobo can jump in safely and use his 7 frame stand 1/6 frame Down 1 to pressure.

3 into either Spin Cycle or Space Hook is extremely bad. He CAN safely dash and block in time if Raven were to do a wakeup Soul Crush, but the timing is strict. Only use this to get the life lead or close out the match, NOT THE ROUND. Lobo is powerful from sweep distance to close distance, so these moves should rarely be used as enders. (NEW, but not really) MB the Space Hook and don't throw them behind you, free setup into the meaty command grab 50/50. (/NEW)

Now for my favorite. 3 xx MBDC, Down 1 (Meter Burn Dash Cancel, or dash cancelling the forward 3/back 3 cancel) is a legit combo. While it doesn't lead to extremely huge damage unless you use a MB Czar Toss, it leads to the hard knockdown Lobo loves oh so very much. 3 xx MBDC, Down 1 xx Hook Charge is possible and is the best option. Down 1 into pretty much anything but Spin Cycle is doable.

And here's a neat little mix-up if you hit Back 12 1+3. As soon as you recover, alternate between Space Hook/Low Space Hook/Stand 3. Space Hook will catch backdashes fairly easily, and when MB'd, puts the opponent back into your meaty shenanigans. Low Space will check the opponent if they aren't blocking low, and will put you up-close, so you can pressure with your standard Czar Toss frame trap or whatever you please. Stand 3 is if they try to jump at you after this setup hits, and Stand 3 leads to a lot, so yeah. I CANNOT STRESS HOW GOOD STAND 3 IS AS AN ANTI-AIR OPTION, USE PUMP SHOT AFTERWARDS, IT'S REALLY GOOD.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Trying to do good with him, heres my general... things I do.

B12 for dat frame advantage, on hit into 1+3
On block into D1 into toss, throw, or B12 again

With trait I use 21 for mix ups.

2 into low shot into B1 toss ex...
21 into low shot into B1 toss ex...

DesuBlade

Augmented Wallet Squeeze
He has the potential, but my god that Grundy Match-up is so bad. It's like I might as well put the controller down and start crying.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
His Armor Grab is really what's killing me. Also, the fact that he can basically shut down any type of offense since he has far better normals.
Neutral jump or back jump into full combo to punish the armored grab depending on how close you are to him when he inputs the move. But maybe you already knew that... in which case I'm probably coming off as condescending =/

I usually keep him right outside of standing 3 distance. That way if he moves forward at all I can 3~charge and put him back into the same position. Once he's blocking you can either go for toss or jump in 1 which leads to 1~toss, 12~toss, b12 for frame advantage, 113 for frame advantage, or if you have trait can go for 2~low shotgun or 21~low shotgun

Just played Wonder_Chef in a few sets, found out mid shot stuffs certain wakeups. I like this way more than I really should...

PS DesuBlade with that Watamote avy, so goddddddlikkkke

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
Neutral jump or back jump into full combo to punish the armored grab depending on how close you are to him when he inputs the move. But maybe you already knew that... in which case I'm probably coming off as condescending =/

I usually keep him right outside of standing 3 distance. That way if he moves forward at all I can 3~charge and put him back into the same position. Once he's blocking you can either go for toss or jump in 1 which leads to 1~toss, 12~toss, b12 for frame advantage, 113 for frame advantage, or if you have trait can go for 2~low shotgun or 21~low shotgun
Grundy's cancel on the armor grab is fast as hell, you're not getting free neutral jump. Hell, if you try to do it on reaction there's a good chance cancel into d2 will hit you out and give him a combo. Also jump-ins against Grundy need to be spaced really well, or he'll just AA grab you for free. Right now I agree with DesuBlade that this MU is pretty shitty.